• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple releasing first Public Betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

is this live? only update I see in App Store is for Safari

nvm found it. 4.77gigs damn

its also considered version 10.12? wtf apple wtf

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So do I have to update manually to the Sierra final installer off the App Store? I never got a GM update and no update is appearing now. I guess I have to install it manually?

Fliesen

my download went kinda fast, now it's stuck at roughly 60% with 20 minutes left. But that's okay, need to do some cleaning up anyways

pronk420

So do I have to update manually to the Sierra final installer off the App Store? I never got a GM update and no update is appearing now. I guess I have to install it manually?

I'm confused by this too, my last update was public beta 7 as far as I can see, is that the same as what is released today?

subrock

anyone else having issues with Universal Clipboard? I have bluetooth on, handoff enabled and working, 10.12 and iOS 10 installed, same iCloud account is logged in with everything enabled. Nothing is transferring and there is a 3-5 second lag when I open the cut/copy/paste menu.

edit: also interesting, Apple Pay on the web isn't working as per: https://stripe.com/docs/apple-pay/web

Fliesen

anyone else having issues with Universal Clipboard? I have bluetooth on, handoff enabled and working, 10.12 and iOS 10 installed, same iCloud account is logged in with everything enabled. Nothing is transferring and there is a 3-5 second lag when I open the cut/copy/paste menu.

edit: also interesting, Apple Pay on the web isn't working as per: https://stripe.com/docs/apple-pay/web

i can't get "unlock with AppleWatch to work.

my appleWatch:

* is on 3.0 release version
* has a passcode lock
* is properly paired to my iPhone

my Mac:

* is a macbook pro 13 retina
* has sierra release version

my appleID:

* has 2 factor auth. turned on

that should kinda give me the option to watch-unlock :/

kinda underwhelmed by this update, as i don't use Siri really. PiP is nice, haven't tried universal keyboard, desktop folder in iCloud is really neat.

I'm not running Sierra because my Mac is too old :(((((, but Universal Clipboard has worked fine between my iOS devices. The lag seems to be part of the deal. I don't think it does the connection and transfer to another device until you actually paste.

Guess Who

Banned
i can't get "unlock with AppleWatch to work.

my appleWatch:

* is on 3.0 release version
* has a passcode lock
* is properly paired to my iPhone

my Mac:

* is a macbook pro 13 retina
* has sierra release version

my appleID:

* has 2 factor auth. turned on

that should kinda give me the option to watch-unlock :/

kinda underwhelmed by this update, as i don't use Siri really. PiP is nice, haven't tried universal keyboard, desktop folder in iCloud is really neat.

What year model is your MBP? It has to be a late 2013 model or later.

Fliesen

What year model is your MBP? It has to be a late 2013 model or later.

oh, first gen. 2012.
Damn shame ;)

btw, the "manage storage" utility is pretty neat.

it combines some of the features of cleanmymac with a tree-sizing file browser (like omni disk sweeper - which i can now uninstall). Gonna hold on to CleanMyMac though, for stuff like deleting language files.

edit: there's still no option in messages to delete old attachments.
a few weeks ago, i deleted 5 gigs of iMessage attachments - manually, by searching the attachment folder for various file types.

I installed the first GM and when I go to the store to get the public release it won't let me download it as the button says downloaded.

In my purchases tab it has the beta version that I can click download on but would this redownload the GM version or a fresh copy?

Anyone else manage to update?

Edit. Found the problem. Had the GM installer still on the hard drive under Downloads. Deleted it and all good.

When I bought my Macbook Air it came installed with Yosemite, which I upgraded to El Capitan, when that came out. Now I want to upgrade to Sierra.

How good is Apple at handling people upgrading their OS multiple times? I rather do a clean install, but I don't want to spend days reinstalling, configuring stuff. What should I expect?

panzone

When I bought my Macbook Air it came installed with Yosemite, which I upgraded to El Capitan, when that came out. Now I want to upgrade to Sierra.

How good is Apple at handling people upgrading their OS multiple times? I rather do a clean install, but I don't want to spend days reinstalling, configuring stuff. What should I expect?

My Macbook Air 2014 did Maverick -> Yosemite -> El Capitan without any problems.

I'm not sure if I should install Sierra with a clean install however, since I kinda want to do a general cleanup on my system (and I have a free Friday to setup the system).

jstripes

Banned
10.12 but that's my point. Why change the name if they're just leaving it at 10 forever?

My theory is they changed it to macOS this year to drop the X ("ten") baggage, so next year they can change the version to 11.0, and avoid 10.13. That, and it'll work nice with iOS 11.

They're putting in a brand new file system next year, which is a pretty big deal under the hood, so that's as good of an excuse as any to bump the major version number.

subrock

not sure what fixed it exactly but toggling handoff on everything, turning off personal hotspot, turning off wifi on my mac, signing out and in of iCloud on my mac, and now my universal clipboard is working.

Guess Who

Banned
10.12 but that's my point. Why change the name if they're just leaving it at 10 forever?

One, it makes the branding consistent with iOS, tvOS, and watchOS. Two, so they can avoid talking about "OS X" and "iOS 10", which sound very similar verbally.

mrkgoo

This may be the first Mac OS update that I skip.

The only feature that really draws interest to me is Siri. But it also seems to me all the cloud and Siri features hooking into my mac file structure to be dangerous.

Like cloud desktop/documents, universal paste, and so on seem like great features but since they are so deep into your own files one bug in the wrong place and it could delete your files etc. of course I keep backups, but it would be a pain for little gain for me.

Similarly, giving Siri reign of my files structure seems like it could be bad if something goes wrong. For example Siri on the phone couldn't delete things just mess about with web information more than anything. I assume Siri on mac has fuller access to your files?

Yeah I know, things could go wrong without any of these features in the same manner, but it does seem to me adding hooks to your files in this manner to be a risk, especially with apples track record with cloud services. I find iCloud pretty good, but I'm not going to pretend it has always been perfect. I've seen whole contact lists disappear, photo albums disappear, files revert etc. in the past it was only small things that were correctable. I can't imagine having to correct a mistake on my documents folder or desktop.

Not going to even touch optimise storage features in my mac lol.

On top of that I finding el captain working wonderfully for aperture at the moment which is a big draw. I'll hang back and see how sierra works with it. I know I have to move on but it's a daunting task and I haven't seen anything that gives me the features I want, mostly a good organising system.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Downloading on my newish MacBook Pro. Looking forward to trying Siri.

Presumably they're going to keep it at macOS 10 until there's a big enough revision to warrant a change. I think they changed the name to keep it in line with their new OS naming convention. macOS, iOS, watchOS, tvOS.

mrkgoo

Usually pretty good. The way it's organised is usually dumping old parts And replacing with new, often whole parts at a time.

I've upgraded since 10.3 I think, ONE clean install around 10.6 or 10.7 where I just migrated over my user folder on a new computer (so still bringing over cruft from my user folder - I still have deprecated anchors in my keychain lol).

Everything runs largely fine.

gruenel

The only feature that really draws interest to me is Siri. But it also seems to me all the cloud and Siri features hooking into my mac file structure to be dangerous.

Like cloud desktop/documents, universal paste, and so on seem like great features but since they are so deep into your own files one bug in the wrong place and it could delete your files etc. of course I keep backups, but it would be a pain for little gain for me.

Similarly, giving Siri reign of my files structure seems like it could be bad if something goes wrong. For example Siri on the phone couldn't delete things just mess about with web information more than anything. I assume Siri on mac has fuller access to your files?

Yeah I know, things could go wrong without any of these features in the same manner, but it does seem to me adding hooks to your files in this manner to be a risk, especially with apples track record with cloud services. I find iCloud pretty good, but I'm not going to pretend it has always been perfect. I've seen whole contact lists disappear, photo albums disappear, files revert etc. in the past it was only small things that were correctable. I can't imagine having to correct a mistake on my documents folder or desktop.

On top of that I finding el captain working wonderfully for aperture at the moment which is a big draw. I'll hang back and see how sierra works with it. I know I have to move on but it's a daunting task and I haven't seen anything that gives me the features I want, mostly a good organising system.

I don't think Siri can just delete files on your Mac, and even if it could you can always just disable Siri...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My download went from 12 mins to go to 1hr and 27 minutes. What the hell...

corn_fest

I don't think I would ever use Siri on my Mac, given how useless it is on my iPhone. So I don't see any reason to upgrade to Sierra anytime soon and risk compatibility issues or bugs.

Is it just me or has every OS X release been increasingly boring since 10.6?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Presumably they're going to keep it at macOS 10 until there's a big enough revision to warrant a change. I think they changed the name to keep it in line with their new OS naming convention. macOS, iOS, watchOS, tvOS.
They might as well just start calling it by its major number and have the minor updates be the point updates. Drop the 10 all together and next year call it macOS 13.0. After all, in this day and age, version numbers mean nothing to end users anyway. Look at Chrome and Firefox. As long as updates come out and bring new features who cares what it's number is? The number these days is basically just an identifier. macOS doesn't even need a number identifier though since it's the only Apple OS that uses a code name. But if they wanted to they could totally get away with just going macOS 13, macOS 14, macOS 15, etc... That would be more consistent. macOS 13, iOS 11, watchOS 4, tvOS 11...

OSs have come a long way, but not to the level you are describing. Siri is not the brain of the OS, just another program that runs on it. And as such it has to behave in the way that the OS wants all programs to behave. Not telling you should upgrade, or that your fears aren't valid.

I don't think I would ever use Siri on my Mac, given how useless it is on my iPhone. So I don't see any reason to upgrade to Sierra anytime soon and risk compatibility issues or bugs.

Is it just me or has every OS X release been increasingly boring since 10.6?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how good Siri is, and this coming from someone who has tried a lot of voice recognition software over the years. It's not perfect, but for simple tasks like the weather, making reminders, it's pretty good, and it gets better with every release.

Mac OS is now mature. It is something that happens with all platforms. You can't radically change how things work because most things are tried and true. Just look at the backlash of Windows Vista, 8, 10. To make something exciting you need a parading shift, and the last one we had was touch with smartphones. It seems to me both Apple and Microsoft are counting on voice being next.

mrkgoo

I don't think Siri can just delete files on your Mac, and even if it could you can always just disable Siri...

You're probably right, I'm mostly looking for excuses to hold back mostly because Aperture :p

Yeah they are all options that don't have to be used but sometimes things are on by default and any bugs are too late.... but 99% you're ok. I just can do with out the hassle at the moment.

I've weighed up the potential benefits and risks, and fo the first time, the risks outweigh the benefits. There aren't any features aside from Siri that I think I would enjoy.

Eventually I'll have to upgrade though as security will need to be up to date. But I think I can wait on this one. I usually update as soon as I can.

mrkgoo

OSs have come a long way, but not to the level you are describing. Siri is not the brain of the OS, just another program that runs on it. And as such it has to behave in the way that the OS wants all programs to behave. Not telling you should upgrade, or that your fears aren't valid.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how good Siri is, and this coming from someone who has tried a lot of voice recognition software over the years. It's not perfect, but for simple tasks like the weather, making reminders, it's pretty good, and it gets better with every release.

Mac OS is now mature. It is something that happens with all platforms. You can't radically change how things work because most things are tried and true. Just look at the backlash of Windows Vista, 8, 10. To make something exciting you need a parading shift, and the last one we had was touch with smartphones. It seems to me both Apple and Microsoft are counting on voice being next.

Yeah I love Siri and as mentioned it's one of the only features I look forward to. I just haven't looked into how powerful Siri is on mac. I just don't want to have it be able to do deep stuff like move files easily and I accidentally like mess with stuff I don't want to.

My 2008 Mac came with 10.5 Leopard. It currently runs El Cap. Never had a problem upgrading.

When you download Sierra and open it does it just update or can you choose to do a clean install? I've been wanting to reformat my iMac for a while to get rid of the Windows partition I put on it and NEVER use, and just speed it up in general because for some reason it take FOREVER to start up despite being relatively new (late 2012).

cyberheater

Mine still says it's got 27 mins to go. Fuck it. I'm off to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom