• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

wachie

qzlIkah.jpg

http://www.apple.com/tv/

Specs & Details

h3ro

Losing the optical out is a bummer.

Still looking forward to the upgrade and shifting my current ATV to the bedroom.

Have they said what the USB-C port is for? Can you attach a hard drive and play local media?
Edit: nevermind, I see it in the picture now.

LeleSocho

Banned
That would be a nice product if it was integrated into an actual tv but instead is yet another mini-box so yeah... whatever.
I predict in the long run it will sell a little more than the now old AppleTV but nothing outstanding.

jts

...hate me...
Can’t get over how it looks less sexy than the previous generation. The power of proportions.

Not even feeling the alignment of the ports. Apple pls

Dalek

Can't wait to get my hands on this puppy. The Universal Search is necessary for my wife and daughter. We have tons of shows in every app we watch, and while I know where they are, it's a pain for them to dig into the apps and find.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hopefully Apple doesn't lock down apps like Plex. It's available for the phone, but I could see them having a disagreement on allowing it on the TV.

Wolfie5

All I wanted was an ATV with an appstore. So I am definitely upgrading provided I can run the apps I have on my iPad.

Do we know anything about the appstore on the new ATV?

EDIT: Does it have a web browser btw?

Troy

Banned
No optical out means my headphones won't connect to it which means I'll be passing on this. Sick of Apple omitting ports people actually use.
Also can't believe it doesn't have a Safari browser.

Hasney

All I wanted was an ATV with an appstore. So I am definitely upgrading provided I can run the apps I have on my iPad.

Do we know anything about the appstore on the new ATV?

EDIT: Does it have a web browser btw?

Good question about the browser, hadn't thought of that. It should, but they didn't bring it up and I could see it not having it so Apple can restrict you to the all store even more. Hopefully its confirmed soon.

I'm most excited to see what happens with third-party support here and to see what happens with tvOS 2.0. I think this thing's got a fairly exciting feature.

SuperPac

So... I have a lot of media (my iTunes library of music and video) on a NAS. I suppose it's probably going to work like before where I find my "computers" app and access it from there? Bleeeeehhhhhh.

chadskin

Hope the NFL (GamePass) app will be available at launch. Can't wait to ditch my Chromecast.

So... I have a lot of media (my iTunes library of music and video) on a NAS. I suppose it's probably going to work like before where I find my "computers" app and access it from there? Bleeeeehhhhhh.

Plex is available on iPhone and iPad and could theoretically come to the Apple TV as well now. Look into that.

Based on what? Every other device that has tried this...and failed?

Maturity of technology, the prevalence of the Apple Ecosystem, viewing habits of people who now defer to Apps like Netflix, and a piece of hardware about the equivalent of a Xbox 360 with games that cost almost nothing.

SuperPac

Plex is available on iPhone and iPad and could theoretically come to the Apple TV as well now. Look into that.

Yes, I am fully aware that Plex exists and of course that'll be a nice workaround if somehow Apple *doesn't* let you access movies in your iTunes library (which seems like insanity).

gimmmick

I can't believe I actually thought about dropping directv for this. At the end of the day, live sports always wins the heart of fans (and wallets).

There is nothing showing you need or don't need a computer yet. Let's hope you can just access the Nas. That would be great.

Hasney

Maturity of technology, the prevalence of the Apple Ecosystem, viewing habits of people who now defer to Apps like Netflix, and a piece of hardware about the equivalent of a Xbox 360 with games that cost almost nothing.

That's the thing though, most TVs now have all this. The navigation and voice control looked pretty sweet, but let's say you got one of the Samsung/Sonys from the past couple of years. They have all those apps already, including some games like that Rayman one... Do you think the general consumer will see the product as something they should buy to make what they already have a bit better?

I am curious to see how it does. The old Apple TVs have shown that people aren't going to eat up everything Apple does. I guess I just don't see it as much of an upgrade to what people already have in/under their TVs.

My two gripes with this are
1. Lack of optical audio port
2. Why A8? Not even A8X? Come on ..

Same gripes... no A8X why?

Lack of optical just sucks.

Im intrigued about USB C on the back.

Just crack this baby open, it'll be a beast when the jailbreak comes.

Im still a little excited for native support as well. I see ALOT of games being ported over, It should support controllers with no issues as well. But yeah quasi-iOS on the tv (tvOS) is a good thing. Should have happened a long time ago and would have serious hampered Roku and Amazon from building up user base.

That's the thing though, most TVs now have all this. The navigation and voice control looked pretty sweet, but let's say you got one of the Samsung/Sonys from the past couple of years. They have all those apps already, including some games like that Rayman one... Do you think the general consumer will see the product as something they should buy to make what they already have a bit better?

I am curious to see how it does. The old Apple TVs have shown that people aren't going to eat up everything Apple does. I guess I just don't see it as much of an upgrade to what people already have in/under their TVs.

In my experience working at Best Buy, most people actively searching for streaming devices have heard of Apple TV before competitors. Only one who would beat Apple is the Fire Stick.

I usually have to inform and educate people about Roku despite it being the most mature of the 3. Apple's brand power is pretty strong here. This device along with all the new enhancements is going to blow competition out the water. Only thing holding it back is price.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
No optical out means my headphones won't connect to it which means I'll be passing on this. Sick of Apple omitting ports people actually use.
Also can't believe it doesn't have a Safari browser.

Navigating a browser with that remote would be a nightmare. Just Airplay it from your iPhone/iPad if you really want to browser the web on your TV.

Also, can't you just hook your headphones to the optical port that (I assume) your TV has? What's the advantage of hooking up directly to the device?

chadskin

Fair point. With a 4K TV you can even stream Netflix shows in 4K, something the new Apple TV is seemingly not capable of which is a bit of a bummer.

Just waiting on the Canadian pricing but I think I am in for one of these.

Might grab a mifi controller ahead of time.

If I went out an bought a brand new TV tomorrow I'd still get an Xbox One for it. I would then defer to my Xbox One for everything. As a person more interested in games and having a console it would then become my default.

A Samsung or LG Smart TV isn't serving your iPhone and its ecosystem. That is the problem there. The ecosystem for purchased movies, music, photos, etc is the draw and there are a lot of those existing customers out there. That includes purchased Apps. This box is likely to do the whole iPhone, iPad, Apple TV universal apps thing so Hearthstone is playable on everything you have with the same save file if they do it right.

I personally hate the whole tech ecosystem thing when it comes to media. I made a thread about that a couple months back. I don't see that problem fixing itself ever due to the money involved. I'm unlikely to move from an iPhone ever and with a modern Apple TV setup I feel confident that purchases within the Apple ecosystem are worthwhile, especially having a family where people can share the purchased media easily. That drives me to wanting what we get on the TV.

Now if I wasn't tech driven for games and had a Android I'd be happy with a single Smart TV hooked up to a decent internet connection, assuming the services and updates over the years keep the TV OS with decent performance.

Fair point. With a 4K TV you can even stream Netflix shows in 4K, something the new Apple TV is seemingly not capable of which is a bit of a bummer.

I'd be all over an Nvidia Shield TV if I was an Android/Google user with a 4K TV.

Not surprised Apple doesn't support optical. It's a relatively old standard with a limited use case. They'd just rather you connect to your TV or whatnot instead.

No A8X for cost reasons, I imagine. They aren't driving >1080p, its in a very small passive, non metal container, and it's selling for ~$200. Very surprised they have USB-C though.

jstripes

Banned
If Apple sells enough of these, it might disrupt the casual gaming market.

It's trivial to port the countless iOS games already out there to this, you mostly have to reconsider the controls, and if enough developers do the cross-buy thing it could be amazing.

The self publishing nature of the App Store is certainly a much lower barrier to entry to indie devs than what the big consoles offer.

There's all sorts of business uses for this too, if the right apps are developed.

wachie

No A8X for cost reasons, I imagine. They aren't driving >1080p, its in a very small passive, non metal container, and it's selling for ~$200. Very surprised they have USB-C though.
Not pushing >1080p doesn't mean A8X isn't needed.

They're selling this as a casual gaming machine too, for which the A8X would have been quite useful.

Also moving to A8X would still mean they would have had to add in active cooling and or increase the size of the box.

Top Bottom