• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

jts

...hate me...
My HBO app was borked when I turned on my Apple TV (looks like a failed update) - didn't even show the logo, just a placeholder picture.

Deleted it, tried to download it again but always fails the download/install halfway :/

Other apps download and install fine.

What the fudge, was ready to start The Wire.

My HBO app was borked when I turned on my Apple TV (looks like a failed update) - didn't even show the logo, just a placeholder picture.

Deleted it, tried to download it again but always fails the download/install halfway :/

Other apps download and install fine.

What the fudge, was ready to start The Wire.

Had the same thing happen to the Starz app, what fixed it was to delete the app, reinstall and when it hung, restart the Apple TV.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My bro and I got one for our parents along with Netflix for Xmas. They seem to love it.

I'll say compared to the old Apple TV boxes this one is much snappier.

So still no VUDU app on AppleTV, but the iOS app finally lets you stream HDX and is now AirPlay compatible, so honestly that's close enough

iavi

I've had one for a few weeks now. And I gotta say l, I enjoy the random extraneous apps on TV more than I thought I would. Accuweather and Zillow are strangely compelling on the big screen.

But other than that, I feel like Apple still has a ways to go before they bring the media experience in on both the Apple TV and the xOS platform at large.

AirPlay is as good as it gets for streaming, though. And that's coming from an OG chromecast user. Screen Mirroring is fast enough/low latency to actually play a faster paced game on the big screen from my iPhone.

Really impressed with that

kuppy

Anyone else having problems with the Siri Remote getting unresponsive over time?
Happens every couple of weeks for me. All of the sudden it doesn't work properly anymore. Actions such as pause and resume take a second to recognize and the trackpad is almost completely unusable. I then repair the remote which sometimes solves it. Otherwise I'll have to pull the plug for ten seconds. Works just fine afterwards.

Any idea what could be causing this? There shouldn't even be any interfering Bluetooth signals. Battery level was at 77% this time around. I'm very close to the Apple TV.
I'll try the official guide and hope I won't have to do it all over a month from now.

jts

...hate me...
Any way to force download of new aerial screensavers? I have mine set to download daily and still haven't seen any of the new ones since the update.

I feel like if I dump the current downloaded ones from memory I'll have some chances of new ones. But I don't want to restore my Apple TV just for that.

Awesome. After spending some time in past couple of weeks watching season one of Fargo and Atlanta and Steven Universe, I've come to really like the TV app. It works pretty good.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list anywhere of:

1) Apps that provide TV content without needing a cable TV subscription (even if it means paying a separate subscription fee, like HBO, although ideally that distinction is noted in the list).

2) Apps that fit the above and also work with the TV app

So far from research online, I've only found The CW app to fit #2. #1 has the usual suspects (HBO, Netflix, Hulu) along with a bunch of the networks (ABC, NBC, etc) although many of those still have waiting period to access latest episodes, or wall off some content that still requires a subscription.

Is there a list anywhere of:

1) Apps that provide TV content without needing a cable TV subscription (even if it means paying a separate subscription fee, like HBO, although ideally that distinction is noted in the list).

2) Apps that fit the above and also work with the TV app

So far from research online, I've only found The CW app to fit #2. #1 has the usual suspects (HBO, Netflix, Hulu) along with a bunch of the networks (ABC, NBC, etc) although many of those still have waiting period to access latest episodes, or wall off some content that still requires a subscription.

Yeah, the TV app itself has that in the "Store" section. There's a "Start Watching Now" with a bunch of apps, and a "Watch With Your TV Provider" with cable connected apps

Really tempted by one of these but all the UK reviews say that there's not much in the way of UK apps. I enjoy using iTunes but its a pain in the arse how investing in Apple seems to always end up costing more for no discernible reason.

So, how is it for UK guys? I mean, I mainly just need this for iTunes so I'll probably buy it but would be nice to know its got more to it.

Quasar

Really tempted by one of these but all the UK reviews say that there's not much in the way of UK apps. I enjoy using iTunes but its a pain in the arse how investing in Apple seems to always end up costing more for no discernible reason.

So, how is it for UK guys? I mean, I mainly just need this for iTunes so I'll probably buy it but would be nice to know its got more to it.

Just what UK apps would you need. There's iPlayer and Channel Four I think. Dunno if there's a Sky app.

Just what UK apps would you need. There's iPlayer and Channel Four I think. Dunno if there's a Sky app.
Oh I just meant in general. I managed to get one for a good price so bit the bullet. Lots of them were priced about an extra £30 with 'Kodi' installed. I'm assuming this isn't a particularly legal 'app'?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Oh I just meant in general. I managed to get one for a good price so bit the bullet. Lots of them were priced about an extra £30 with 'Kodi' installed. I'm assuming this isn't a particularly legal 'app'?

It's not legal/illegal. They are just using xcode to install it before shipping it out. I'd be a little wary if kodi was changed to snif passwords from anything entered in the kodi app, but that's just me.

anyone who has an apple tv 4 and a mac can do this (as well as install emulators, etc). There's actually a pretty healthy open source scene for tvOS that just needs a mac and a USB-C cable. :D

It's not legal/illegal. They are just using xcode to install it before shipping it out. I'd be a little wary if kodi was changed to snif passwords from anything entered in the kodi app, but that's just me.

anyone who has an apple tv 4 and a mac can do this (as well as install emulators, etc). There's actually a pretty healthy open source scene for tvOS that just needs a mac and a USB-C cable. :D
Cool, if its all above board I'll have a little play with mine when it arrives. Could never justify getting a TV thing when I already have consoles and a smart TV but I wanted an easy way to watch all my iTunes movies and shows.

jts

...hate me...
What's even the point of charging 30 quid to pre-install Kodi if the person then has to re-install it a week after that, provided they have a Mac, and they will still lose all the savedata since it's a new install?

Unless I've been doing it wrong all along.

Enzom21

What's even the point of charging 30 quid to pre-install Kodi if the person then has to re-install it a week after that, provided they have a Mac, and they will still lose all the savedata since it's a new install?

Unless I've been doing it wrong all along.
You're doing it wrong. You just need to re-sign it, not reinstall it.

jts

...hate me...
You're doing it wrong. You just need to re-sign it, not reinstall it.
Don't you anyhow need the .IPA, Xcode, a Mac and a program to re-sign the app?

I mean you have to do everything by yourself less than a week later.

If you can even re-sign someone else's install, can you?

Looks like Amazon Video might be coming Q3 (September event maybe?)

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/5/15552954/amazon-video-apple-tv-app-jeff-bezos-tim-cook

The tech giants, who are increasingly competing for customers' time, eyeballs and money, are close to an agreement to bring an Amazon video app to Apple's Apple TV set-top box, according to people familiar with the two companies.

Amazon employees expect the app to show up on Apple's hardware in the third quarter of the year

And a month after I got a Roku just for Amazon.

I did the same last year. Then sold that and got a nVidia Shield TV once it got Amazon support. Probably would have kept my Apple TV at the time had it had Amazon, but honestly glad I eventually landed on the Shield even though I'm an Apple guy since I can stream my Steam games to it and I can run Kodi on it.

Quasar

If they include universal search and TV app support I'll be ecstatic

I wonder when if ever the TV app will be rolled out outside the US.

I've meanwhile pretty much settled into using my Shield more, aside from a couple of apps that have yet to get a AndroidTV app that I use.

I did the same last year. Then sold that and got a nVidia Shield TV once it got Amazon support. Probably would have kept my Apple TV at the time had it had Amazon, but honestly glad I eventually landed on the Shield even though I'm an Apple guy since I can stream my Steam games to it and I can run Kodi on it.

Oh, still use my AppleTV for everything else. Only got a Roku stick for $35 just for Amazon video. Will be nice to go back to only using the single device for everything.

Quasar

I hate what they did with the tv button, stop loading that app nothing supports it =(

I'm wondering when that will be the default screen. I guess when they get more services on board. Of course I think the trouble kind of is that Netflix will never support it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm in the middle of moving and found my jailbroken Apple TV Gen 2 I haven't touched in years. Are these things still worth anything?

Dalek

Has anyone used the updated Hulu app interface? It's unusable-what the hell. Who in their right mind would design an app like this?

Top Bottom