• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

I wanted the fitness tracking and notifications on my wrist. There are some other cool features though, like being able to control my Apple TV from my wrist, syncing playlists between iPhone and Apple watch, etc. I knew about the general features of the watch but never looked into the little stuff.

I'm in the same ballpark, the general features alone have me excited

kaskade

Anyone know of any good fitness apps with an interval timer? I kind of want to get myself running and it seems the best way is the couch to 5k method switching between jogging and walking over a period like 60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking for 20 minutes.

I feel like it'd be really nice to just have the watch tap my wrist when I need to switch between walking and jogging.

Anyone know of any good fitness apps with an interval timer? I kind of want to get myself running and it seems the best way is the couch to 5k method switching between jogging and walking over a period like 60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking for 20 minutes.

I feel like it'd be really nice to just have the watch tap my wrist when I need to switch between walking and jogging.

I think run/cyclemeter can do it

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
SoundHound is on the watch already, just tried it and works pretty well.

qO7M9Mx.jpg

From what I can tell it uses your iPhone's microphone to pick up the song. So if you're in the kitchen listening to the radio and your phone is charging in the bedroom, it's probably not gonna pick up the song.

Good.

Still haven't been charged on my credit card yet. Any East Coasters get their CC charged yet and/or their watch shipped?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My watch isn't ringing for incoming calls regardless of whether my phone is locked or in use. Am I missing something?

A stretch, but is bluetooth on? Check on the watch and the phone (swipe up for glances on watch and swipe to the left to see your radio settings).

It's plain to see who hasn't worn a watch in years if not ever when watching a few of these videos.
Most seem to wear the watch too high up the wrist!
A lot of people seem to have it on the wrist bone, which surely would restrict your hand movement...? Plus wouldn't that effect the accuracy of heart rate readings?

The watch looks very cool though, regretting not pre-ordering now...
Many people prefer to wear their watch on their wrist than on their forearm. My hand movement was never restricted,

I just turned on my lights and changed the temperature in a few rooms from my watch. The future is now and it is stupid.

Edit:

It's going to be a while before I get used to not pressing the contacts button to go home or turn on the screen.

JoseDFrog

Banned
A stretch, but is bluetooth on? Check on the watch and the phone (swipe up for glances on watch and swipe to the left to see your radio settings).
Yeah Bluetooth has to be on to connect with the watch. Everything else is working fine, texts, Siri, navigation, controlling music, call back; it's just not ringing on the watch. I'll dismiss the call on the phone and I'll instantly get the missed called notification on the watch. It's really weird.

NJ, same here, nothing yet. I don't think it has much to do with location though, I know at least a few NYC people got theirs.

I'm in NYC and mine arrived yesterday.

Admit it felt pretty cool though.

It did and it was faster than taking out my phone and using the Insteon app. I know it's not a very data intensive app or anything but after all the doom and gloom, from reviewers talking about slow loading apps, I'm really impressed with how fast the Insteon app loads.

NJ, same here, nothing yet. I don't think it has much to do with location though, I know at least a few NYC people got theirs.

NJ here as well. I'm in the 5/13 group so I haven't seen any change since the night I pre-ordered on 4/10. Waiting on the 42mm Space Gray.

I'm in NJ, I got mine today.

Early impressions:

If anyone ordered the silver alum, the pics don't do it justice. I think it looks fantastic.

Watch setup is pretty easy.

The rubber band it comes with is awesome, i may order a second black one.

The 42mm isn't that big. Some pictures make it like huge.

Syncing a music playlist takes forever -.-. I just want to go on a run with this thing already.

I think the most offensive thing about that picture... is that it has the sport band attached to it.

I don't know, I kind of like the look of the sports band on the gold watch. I have the leather band and to be completely honest it's decent but I don't think the quality would hold up on a $17,000 watch.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah Bluetooth has to be on to connect with the watch. Everything else is working fine, texts, Siri, navigation, controlling music, call back; it's just not ringing on the watch. I'll dismiss the call on the phone and I'll instantly get the missed called notification on the watch. It's really weird.

Turn off wifi calling on the phone.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Thanks Rubx and jts for trying to help. A phone restart fixed it. I tried sending a picture messages and it didn't go through so I restarted my phone which typically fixes my network connection issues. Also, it works with wifi calling on T-Mobile.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't know, I kind of like the look of the sports band on the gold watch. I have the leather band and to be completely honest it's decent but I don't think the quality would hold up on a $17,000 watch.

The classic buckles on the Editions seem to be slightly different than the steel one - you can even tell in photos there's a slight curve to the leather that's not on the steel version of the classic buckle, wouldn't be surprised if they're using a higher-quality leather.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Damn it.... Why don't I want this thing. I am the biggest tech whore of everyone I know and always looking to have the next big thing. Can some one link me to an Amazing Apple watch video that shows all the benefits to someone that has Fitbit products? Not videos from Apple.. Thanks I'm advance and congrats to all of you enjoying your nEw watch.

The leather loop? Should i cancel that order and just get a black sport band then lol?

iMax

Finally found out how to put the sport band on without looking like a total tit.

Just poke the pin through the hole, and then pop the flap through the gap. I was trying to do it the other way round, for some reason.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Finally found out how to put the sport band on without looking like a total tit.

Just poke the pin through the hole, and then pop the flap through the gap. I was trying to do it the other way round, for some reason.
Yup. At my try on I'm sure I and the employee dropped every watch I tried. As soon as I opened mine I was like "durdurdur" and got it right away. Just like putting on any watch at this point.

Press the pin side against your skin and swing the other side around and fit the pin in.

Sucks because the second smallest hole on the M/L band is just like barely not even but just a tiny bit tight, but one bigger from that is way loose.

takoyaki

Damn it that gold watch does look nice though. Maybe in a few generations...

Gotta spend that Monorail Money on something, right ;)

First two runs with the watch:

The sportband keeps the watch in place and the lightweight watch itself feel really nice, you almost forget you're wearing it. The display turned on reliably when checking the watch while running.

-the Nike+ app was a broken mess for me, it doesn't reliably keep sync between the watch and the iPhone, the phone and the watch got stuck multiple times and I had to reset everything during the run.

-the built-in Apple exercise app is fantastic, it keeps track of your heartbeat, you can control music, count miles/calories/time, set goals and everything works flawlessly in the background, even if you open another app like maps.

At least for now, I'll keep using Apple’s app. After almost 10 years of Nike+ (ipod nano, iPhone app), it's time to move on. Might also try out RunKeeper and Komoot for biking.

kaskade

Gotta spend that Monorail Money on something, right ;)

First two runs with the watch:

The sportband keeps the watch in place and the lightweight watch itself feel really nice, you almost forget you're wearing it. The display turned on reliably when checking the watch while running.

-the Nike+ app was a broken mess for me, it doesn't reliably keep sync between the watch and the iPhone, the phone and the watch got stuck multiple times and I had to reset everything during the run.

-the built-in Apple exercise app is fantastic, it keeps track of your heartbeat, you can control music, count miles/calories/time, set goals and everything works flawlessly in the background, even if you open another app like maps.

At least for now, I'll keep using Apple’s app. After almost 10 years of Nike+ (ipod nano, iPhone app), it's time to move on. Might also try out RunKeeper and Komoot for biking.

I wonder if the problems have to do with Nike+ not being native. I feel like there's going to be some weird issues with apps until we have stuff on the phone itself.

takoyaki

I wonder if the problems have to do with Nike+ not being native. I feel like there's going to be some weird issues with apps until we have stuff on the phone itself.

I think so, yes. It felt like the issues were problems keeping the two devices in sync and a native app should be able to fix that. Apple said native apps after WWDC, right?

kaskade

I think so, yes. It felt like the issues were problems keeping the two devices in sync and a native app should be able to fix that. Apple said native apps after WWDC, right?

From what everyone's been saying, SDK at WWDC and apps probably with iOS9.

Nice thing about being an early adopter is when some big update comes out it feels like a new device.

Ambient80

Showered with it today and it was fine. I'm not going to do it often but when I get done working out at gym it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

Ambitious

Well to be fair this seems to sum up the Apple Watch entirely. Isn't it basically just pushing all compatible app notifications from an iphone to the watch itself?

Why not just use your phone to begin with?

It's Apple so it's going to sell but the whole thing seems stupid to me.

No, I disagree with that notion.
Yes, you could use your phone. You could also use your computer instead. But why? For many use cases, a phone is more convenient for a computer. For many use cases, a watch is more convenient than a phone.

The Apple Watch was created to give you quick access to information and certain actions. You virtually just take a glance at it. It's designed for simple, usually short-lived interactions. Read a text message. Turn on your lights. Check off an item in your todo list. It's a supplemental companion to your phone.

Doing the same things on your phone involves more atomic steps than one would think.
  • Find your phone (e.g. if its in some bag)
  • Use Touch ID to unlock it
  • If you don't have a Touch ID sensor, or you don't use it, or it doesn't recognize your fingerprint, you'd have to enter your passcode
  • If you're in an app, click the Home button to leave it
  • If the app is inside a folder and the target app is not in the same one, tap outside of it to return to the home screen
  • Find the target app. This may involve several swipes and taps, depending on how you organize your apps. You could also use Spotlight, but you'd have to type the first few letters of the app's name.
  • Within the target app, you might have to navigate to the piece of information you're looking for.

Of course, this doesn't take long at all. Just a few seconds. It's not inconvenient per se. But it is less convenient than on the watch, and there is in fact a certain cognitive load involved.
Yes, you have to navigate to the target app on the watch too. But there are fewer steps involved, and the UI is simpler. It's even faster if the app supports glances.

Now, back to what started this conversation:
In general, ordering a product from Amazon is not a simple interaction. You might want to read the product description, which could potentially be hundreds of words long. You might want to take a close look at a picture of the product. You might want to carefully compare several products. You might want to read user reviews. You might want to read reviews on third party sites. You might want to watch video reviews. You might decide to use a different payment method or shipping address for this particular order.

This is a complicated process. It may be fine on a phone, but the best option is a computer with a big screen and browser tabs. Smartwatches are designed for simple, usually short-lived interactions. Ordering a product is no such thing. And using the watch instead of the phone may even take more time instead of less.

The way I see it, the Amazon app just screams "Me too!". Everyone's releasing Apple Watch apps, so let's make one as well. What should it do? Whatever, doesn't matter, just make one.

However, options are always nice. No one's forced to use it. Earlier, I mentioned that ordering things is generally not a simple process. But sometimes it is:

A list of essential home products would be great on it. Like a list with toilett paper or something to quick order.

I have to admit, I did not think of that when I posted the picture. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that in the USA, it is quite common to order household items online. Stuff like toilet paper, glass cleaners, paper towels and so on. Is that correct?
Where I live, that's not a thing. I don't know anyone who would order such things online. That's stuff you usually buy in the store.

So, yeah, if there's a specific item you order regularly, then I suppose the watch app makes sense.

Top Bottom