• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

VoxPop

After seeing all the pictures, I really want to buy the 18k gold with midnight blue buckle. If the hardware inside was upgradeable, I would've done it already T_T

Ambient80

Ambitious said:
I have to admit, I did not think of that when I posted the picture. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that in the USA, it is quite common to order household items online. Stuff like toilet paper, glass cleaners, paper towels and so on. Is that correct?
Where I live, that's not a thing. I don't know anyone who would order such things online. That's stuff you usually buy in the store.

So, yeah, if there's a specific item you order regularly, then I suppose the watch app makes sense.

Eh, dunno how common that actually is. I can't say I've ever even considered ordering, for example, toilet paper or paper towels or something off Amazon or any site. I just go to the store and get it. I'm like you though, I guess if one does that, then it would make sense. Sort of like one of those buttons Amazon has for ordering stuff around the house, but all the buttons are just on your watch.

Mitch

Banned
Hm!

You guys have been really informative over the last few weeks. Just been lurking around until now. Seeing as how I would be waiting a month plus to get my hands on one, I think that will give me more than enough time to figure out if I really want to get one.

I jump rope and run often, but don't use my iPhone 6 as much anymore. That's really the biggest factor.

Shearie

Something I've been wondering; I know there's a "Mirror iPhone" option for Do Not Disturb but is there one for Mute as well?

I'm guessing no since Mute is a physical switch on the iPhone.

Now that I've given the new watch specific emoji a chance I think I can calmly talk about it. Whoever designed these monstrosities should be thrown in whatever gulag Apple threw Forstall in to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What do you base that answer on, vs other fitness trackers? Is the apple watch better at understanding different workout types? How would it know you're jumping rope?

I'm honestly curious. People seem to be keen on this for fitness tracking yet what does it have that other options don't? Or why haven't you bought a dedicated fitness band/watch already?

I get that it might be the sum of the parts, so not just fitness, but fitness plus the other things too.

What do you base that answer on, vs other fitness trackers? Is the apple watch better at understanding different workout types? How would it know you're jumping rope?

I'm honestly curious. People seem to be keen on this for fitness tracking yet what does it have that other options don't? Or why haven't you bought a dedicated fitness band/watch already?

I get that it might be the sum of the parts, so not just fitness, but fitness plus the other things too.

I don't think it'll be any better or worse than any other fitness tracker at tracking jumping rope. There's no option to track jumping rope specifically so you'll have to pick another of the workout options to try and track calories but I haven't seen a fitness band that actually does track that properly.

Juice

Is anyone else suffering from prolonged BT disconnects from your iPhone?

My watch dropped a call 5 minutes in, then couldn't do anything requiring BT. I even restarted both devices and it still didn't connect. The only thing that forced the watch to search for the phone was the ping iPhone button on the settings glance.

I made a Genius Bar appointment but I'm not optimistic I'll be able to replicate the issue.

btrboyev

Is anyone else suffering from prolonged BT disconnects from your iPhone?

My watch dropped a call 5 minutes in, then couldn't do anything requiring BT. I even restarted both devices and it still didn't connect. The only thing that forced the watch to search for the phone was the ping iPhone button on the settings glance.

I made a Genius Bar appointment but I'm not optimistic I'll be able to replicate the issue.
Typical iPhone Bluetooth issue. I've had similar things happen. Sometimes just takes a restart of the phone.

Lol, I love how this dude just HAD to take the pic of his gold Apple Watch inside his Porsche just in case us dirty peasants didn't get the message that he's rich as fuck.
I would do the same thing.

We need someone to post a picture of them wearing their leather Watch Edition in a Ferrari with that other picture loaded up on their watch.

Very impressed and surprised with the battery life. Strapped it on today at 7:00 AM and now it's over 8 hours later and I'm still at 82% charge left!

Juice

Very impressed and surprised with the battery life. Strapped it on today at 7:00 AM and now it's over 8 hours later and I'm still at 82% charge left!

I strapped on at 9:00am and at 3:19pm I'm at 56%.

I am a power user tho. My iPhone never lasts all day.

At just 58% since 7am. But I've been screwing around with the thing far more than I normally would. It's just like when I got the first iPad or iPhone. It's all about the novelty and learning what's possible.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the stainless steel scratching after just less than a day of normal use.

Anybody here that has the SS run into any problems?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the stainless steel scratching after just less than a day of normal use.

Well the screen might be sapphire, but the steel isn't. You ding it, it'll scratch. The aluminium may be more forgiving for hiding that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Would this be a decent fitness tracker for someone who does a fair amount of jump rope workouts?
Most of my workouts are metcons with very little running. I used it this morning and feel confident in its calorie counting. My only suggestion is to make sure your height and weight are accurate and the rest is really just math. We had both strength (high volume squatting) and a metcon and it is absolutely mesmerizing looking over the heart rate data. Like you can see EXACTLY when I was squatting (actually doing the lifts) and then see the three minutes in between each set just by looking at my heart rate.

And then yeah if you care about distance for running it keeps track of that. You'd need a third party app for biking and just manually enter in times/distance for rowing.

kaskade

I have to say I don't have much of an issue with the raising to see the time. There's a very slight delay but I feel like that delay is the time it would take to focus on a watch face anyway. Even if I'm at my computer a small movement towards me activates it to see. Some reviews made it seem like more of an issue.

borghe

Well the screen might be sapphire, but the steel isn't. You ding it, it'll scratch. The aluminium may be more forgiving for hiding that.
Actually to truly ding the steel would be an effort. But yeah you're going to get little micro scratches and stuff over time. Nice thing is the SS should be able to be polished almost back to new.

From reading impressions, I'm shocked that battery life so far is holding up. Usually, the first few days are the worst since people show it off, give demos, and play with it the most. That it is getting through the entire day is great.

I'm a little surprised to read about the lack of Reminders (which I use religiously) and no voice from Siri. In fact, I'm surprised that so much of Siri is being done on the phone, and that it can't display Wolfram Alpha info. Also, is it true that you can't send messages completely hands free? You still have to tap "send"? I Assume that's because you have to be looking at your watch after dictation since Siri doesn't read it back to you. Maybe that'll change?

ckohler

Battery life also seems good to me but I've yet to put it through a full days use yet (slept in late today).

It's true you have to tap to send. I tried to say "send" but it just added it to the message.

borghe

There's no reminders app on the watch but you can set them from Siri still and they still notify on the watch.

Yes the "ok I'm ready to do this. Do you want me to?" stuff is gone from Siri. Not sure why. Then again it's much less annoying here than it is when doing hands free on your phone.

The results from WA would be annoying on the 42mm screen. Granted being sent back to the phone isn't much better.. I don't know if there's a good answer.

charpunk

Mine has been in use for 7 hours so far and I'm at 72%. Been pretty heavy use though since everyone keeps wanting me to demo it for them.

Also how does this whole Apple TV remote thing work?

There's no reminders app on the watch but you can set them from Siri still and they still notify on the watch.

Yes the "ok I'm ready to do this. Do you want me to?" stuff is gone from Siri. Not sure why. Then again it's much less annoying here than it is when doing hands free on your phone.

The results from WA would be annoying on the 42mm screen. Granted being sent back to the phone isn't much better.. I don't know if there's a good answer.

I guess it would depend on the feedback Siri gives you audibly (if she did on the Watch, which she doesn't at the moment). Yeah, it can't display charts and stuff on the Watch like the iPhone, but maybe it could just speak the results on the Watch and if you want to see the chart or calendar or whatever, it could guide you to look at the phone for more info.

As a rough example, I could ask the phone "How old is President Obama", and it can show the wikipedia page, the photo, and whatever on the phone like it does now, but just speak the result over the watch and show "53 years old" on the face. Or, like when I ask for measurement comparisons when cooking or baking. I don't need to see the WA chart like it shows on the phone, I just need to hear the answer to how many tablespoons are in a quart or whatever.

I use Siri a lot, and almost entirely hands free (I hold the home button at home and just say "Hey Siri" when driving). Taping to send a message with Siri on the watch would be a step back for me.

All this could be a function of battery life or them not wanting to overload Siri like what happened when she debuted. I just hope it changes for version 2.

To those using the Apple Remote, can you use it just through bluetooth or does the phone and watch need to be on the same wireless network? My phone is on a different wireless network than the apple tv, so it's why I never use my phone as a remote since they are required to be on the same network. I'm just wondering if that changed with the watch.

Fliesen

I think so, yes. It felt like the issues were problems keeping the two devices in sync and a native app should be able to fix that. Apple said native apps after WWDC, right?

the current version of the Nike+ app is a total mess for me, even without an AppleWatch.

within runs, the interface has lags of multiple seconds, the voice announcing the pace is chopped off and sounds like Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle.

("average pace .... .... .... 5 minutes ..... twenty ..... .... .... one ..... seconds")

so the issue might be with the App itself, right now.

Last night I connected my Apple Watch to the Apple TV and used it as the remote. This morning I turned on the Apple TV and it was in "Connect to iTunes" mode and had to be restored. Not a good start.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

That's the whole reason to get the SS version.

btkadams

this is going to be interesting seeing people freaking out about their stainless steel watch getting scratched up. this is what happens to watches... it doesn't matter how expensive it is.

Epix

Loving the watch so far. Took it on a 3 hr hike this moring, worked like a champ.

They need to add the ability to check the watch's battery level from the phone app.

Phreaker

this is going to be interesting seeing people freaking out about their stainless steel watch getting scratched up. this is what happens to watches... it doesn't matter how expensive it is.

Yeah, all my SS watches (especially bands and buckles) are really scratched up. I even have one band that was polished, brushed when I had it in for repair because it almost looked brushed anyway.

Using it for almost a whole day so far I think I like the feel of it more than the Moto 360. It looks less like my traditional watches but it feels more like one on my wrist for some reason.

Curious to read about battery impressions after a few days once people are using them in they're daily routines and not just constantly messing with them because they're new

Seriously, who the fuck designed these emoji and why do they hate Apple/the memory of Steve Jobs so much?

Edit:

dBjLsmJ.jpg

Us gamers, huh?

My notifications on my Watch stopped working and I can't figure out why. It's connected to my iPhone yet all of my notifications since this morning are only going to my phone. Also some of the glances won't update. I've tried restarting my phone and watch and it didn't help. Anyone have any suggestions?

Juice

Yep. The Steel is hot garbage in my opinion. Every SS watch I've seen is a dinged up, scuffed mess. Went with the space gray aluminum and it looks pristine in comparison.

Yep. The Steel is hot garbage in my opinion. Every SS watch I've seen is a dinged up, scuffed mess. Went with the space gray aluminum and it looks pristine in comparison.

I disagree, I think the space gray looks really cheap. I'm willing to deal with the potential scuffs for a better looking watch and if it comes to it I'll just get it repaired.

Top Bottom