• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Thanks for that!

The instructions at that site might be a bit off as if this worked, I had to hold down the side button on the second press. Not just a simple press.

*** edit, that doesn't work for the ESPN app either. It 'froze' again and nothing allows the app to be shut down and reloaded.

That's a nice idea for how to force close an app, and that might work for some apps, but it doesn't for the ESPN app. Had to reboot the watch to get things working again.

So someone was talking about poor refreshing in 'glances'.

I experienced something like that with ESPN app with a live NBA game. There's no way to kill the app other than a reboot of the watch.

Ever since then, ESPN app is working but it is something Apple needs to consider. When apps fail, rebooting the entire watch is not a real solution.

I was one of the people talking about it. I saw on Reddit that other people were experiencing issues with glances too. There seems to be a bug that if you re-arrange the order of your glances that it can cause them to stop refreshing. Seems as though the solution is to delete the glance and re-add it. I tried it and so far it's been working fine for me.

I was one of the people talking about it. I saw on Reddit that other people were experiencing issues with glances too. There seems to be a bug that if you re-arrange the order of your glances that it can cause them to stop refreshing. Seems as though the solution is to delete the glance and re-add it. I tried it and so far it's been working fine for me.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

*** edit , nah the ESPN app has crapped the bed. There's no method for getting it to work. It's frozen at 9 minutes left in the Rockets/Mavs game.

DarkWish

Anyone else having trouble getting "Hey Siri" to work sometimes? Usually I have to lower/re-raise and it'll work, but I recently had to reboot the watch to make it work.

(Yes, I was trying it from the watch face screen)
Yea, same here. Wasn't working properly but after a reboot, I haven't had any issues.

japtor

Still no word on the SS space black link bracelet watch. Possible White iPhone 4 fiasco?
Ask Phil Schiller :p

Nothing here either but mine order says July to begin with, looking at a thread on MacRumors no one there has it either. Some guy on Ars said he had it for delivery on the 24th but no followup on that...and I think he might've been referring to the SS w/black sport band.
Has the other link bracelet shipped yet for anyone?
Just checked MR forums for that and it seems like a no go on that one too.

Haven't been following SS links, but for space black I think the earliest date range I've seen mentioned was around early-mid May other than that one guy on Ars.

SegaShack

I'm mostly liking my watch but have encountered some bugs that I honestly didn't think would happen due to how hardcore Apple's QA testing usually is. I've had Siri not start on me multiple times. I just see the text "What can I help you with" and when I start talking nothing happens and no white lines appear on the bottom to show my voice is being picked up.

Furthermore, this morning my Watch and Phone somehow got disconnected from eachother (despite being on the same WiFi network), and having the devices right next to each other and turning bluetooth off then back on did nothing. Only a power off and power on on the Watch got them paired back up.

Has anyone else encountered something similar?

Also I don't understand why the speaker is barely used. It's used in phone calls and for notifications but other applications seem to forget it's there. You would think maps and siri would use it, since voice is a big feature on those, but they don't.

I caught a space gray and black sports band in the wild, and I was disappointed. It looked cheap. The screen was smudged from fingerprints and the band seemed on par with my Fit Bit HR. Now, I take care of my electronics (I've never dropped a phone, and my 6 year old notebook looks immaculate to the point that the Apple Genius I showed it to a few months back didn't think it was so old) so I don't think my Watch would look the same, but I was taken back. Honestly, and I say this without seeing any other Watch in real life, outside the sterile setting of an Apple store or other, that I am skeptical of the aluminum model now as any sort of fashion accessory.

Like I've said in previous posts, either I go cheap and get the 42 aluminum/b.rubber watch (Version 2, whatever that Watch may be because I am not going to by a version 1 of this) or I go big and get the Milenese loop and stainless silver Watch version. But, man, was I disappointed in seeing the space gray and black rubber version in the wild.

Also I don't understand why the speaker is barely used. It's used in phone calls and for notifications but other applications seem to forget it's there. You would think maps and siri would use it, since voice is a big feature on those, but they don't.

I've been wondering about that for a while; it's a very odd branding choice to suddenly silence Siri. It feels strange to me, and is a worse user experience to read the Watch screen. But I think Siri's voice files take up a fair bit of room, and the Watch only has about 6GB of storage. Streaming from the phone isn't realistic because the bandwidth on BTLE isn't high enough or reliable enough. And perhaps, though this is unlikely, the S1 chip just isn't powerful enough to do text-to-speech.

Best combo I've seen in person so far was Milanese loop and SS. Worst was an apple sport with the lime green band. As I said earlier, seeing the sport as pushed to me waiting for the gen2 watch and paying for the nicer version in gen2

Now the real question. Does Apple wait a full year to iterate or are we looking at version 2.0 in 9 months?

My coworker just told me that the Apple Watch (42mm Space Grey black band) that he ordered two days ago just shipped.

Meanwhile the exact same watch that I ordered at 12:30am on launch day is still processing.

What the hell?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Like I've said in previous posts, either I go cheap and get the 42 aluminum/b.rubber watch (Version 2, whatever that Watch may be because I am not going to by a version 1 of this) or I go big and get the Milenese loop and sterling silver Watch version. But, man, was I disappointed in seeing the space gray and black rubber version in the wild.

its stainless steel rather than sterling silver, but if that helps you accept the price go for it ;)

its stainless steel rather than sterling silver, but if that helps you accept the price go for it ;)

You're right. I typed the wrong word. And, I will forever be in your debt for correcting me in this very minor of an error that is obvious to anyone who are following the Apple Watch development where I can complain very minorly against those who's basic models I readily mentioned I saw outside of a controlled environment
spoiler, I meant silver all along!

Guess I'll just stop posting.

jts

...hate me...
It's bugging me why iFixit didn't perform a teardown on the 42mm Apple Watch.

They almost teared down a stainless steel 38mm after they had done the same to a aluminum 38mm, which would be fairly useless. They stopped midway (or even just a few steps into it), understandably.

I really wanted to know at least how larger the battery is.

Ninja Dom

Now the real question. Does Apple wait a full year to iterate or are we looking at version 2.0 in 9 months?

Purely my own speculation but I reckon that Apple won't make much fanfare about a 2.0 and future updates, like they do with the iPad and iPhone. Instead I reckon it'll receive "silent updates" like the MacBook and MacBook Pro get. Big launches for a new model but then pretty silent updates when they improve the specs later on down the line.

They almost teared down a stainless steel 38mm after they had done the same to a aluminum 38mm, which would be fairly useless. They stopped midway (or even just a few steps into it), understandably.

Maybe they simply never had one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You're right. I typed the wrong word. And, I will forever be in your debt for correcting me in this very minor of an error that is obvious to anyone who are following the Apple Watch development where I can complain very minorly against those who's basic models I readily mentioned I saw outside of a controlled environment
spoiler, I meant silver all along!

Guess I'll just stop posting.

I wasn't having a go. I think the stainless steel version is the best looking by far, but it is also a big jump in price. It being sterling silver would be actually quite nice (but probably also even more expensive..)

Just seemed like a funny slip, hence the wink :p

They are still doing the teardown, that's why they haven't finished the stainless steel. They don't release these things all at once, and the watch only came out on Friday. So they very well might finish up with a 42mm.

Hobohodo

Wow. My eta May 27th, 12:08a ordered, 42mm Black Sport just shipped. Bye bye green sport! Totally unexpected.

This is giving me more and more hope for my initial order of the 42mm Black Sport at 8:30 which gave me June. Where about in the world are you? It's movement on the UK front I need.

My coworker just told me that the Apple Watch (42mm Space Grey black band) that he ordered two days ago just shipped.

Meanwhile the exact same watch that I ordered at 12:30am on launch day is still processing.

What the hell?

This however dosen't! Again where abouts in the world are you?

Still can't really decide what I'd prefer. As well as the 42MM Black Sport ordered on the day preorders opened I've still got the 42MM Blue Sport ordered the day before launch due to people saying it was seeing movement. I known I want a black band but wether it's on the Space Grey or Aluminium I could go either way. Both look good on the mix your watch site which is why I'll probably be happy with whatever ships first. Of course if they ship at the same time then I have all the fun of dealing with returns...

Ughhh still haven't recieved mine. Still in "processing order". :/ been trying to keep away from all things related but it's almost impossible. I check Macrumors like ever 30 minutes to see if charges or shipments have arrived. Lol I ordered the 42mm SS BSB at 12:15 so I got the 4-6 week window on one of the rarer watches. -.- and macrumors says they have only reached the 12:05 batch so far.

What the hell?

I ordered the exact same on Friday so should I be expecting a shipment notification soon? :)

Hobohodo

So my 42MM Space Grey Sport has updated from 'June' to '27th May - 9th June' where as the Blue Sport I ordered 3 days back still says 'June'. Really hoping that the date will keep shifting forward.

Strangely, my battery life is tanking today so far. This weekend I was ending the day with 50-60% left. Today I've had it on for an hour and a half and it's down to 90% already, not running any apps. Weird

Strangely, my battery life is tanking today so far. This weekend I was ending the day with 50-60% left. Today I've had it on for an hour and a half and it's down to 90% already, not running any apps. Weird

Mine did that yesterday, but I still ended the day at Midnight with like 40% left.

I wouldn't doubt there's a few rogue apps that kill the battery. I ended yesterday around 45%, so I'm pretty good with battery life. I haven't had the watch go into power reserve yet.

btrboyev

So according to reddit, the stainless steel watch scratches badly much like the old iPods. The sports screen is also scratching, but the aluminum body seems to be holding up.

SuperPac

This would be the first thing I'd turn off if it were a default. As it is I'm probably going to mute sounds from the watch anyway. Seems to be for dings and alerts the volume is good but for calls or voice, something gets lost especially if you're in an environment with any noise at all.

TKR92

So according to reddit, the stainless steel watch scratches badly much like the old iPods. The sports screen is also scratching, but the aluminum body seems to be holding up.

My sport watch got scratches too.
I'm considering getting a screen protector, before it's too late.

BFIB

I watched DetroitBORG's unboxing/walkthrough, and he made an addition to the end of the video. After a few days of use, his SS band had scratches all over it.

I mean, its going to happen, but here comes #scratchgate

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sounds like a watch.

A poorly finished one at least.
My traditional watches (not counting cheap ones) have held up far better after.

Eventually they all scratch though.

I watched DetroitBORG's unboxing/walkthrough, and he made an addition to the end of the video. After a few days of use, his SS band had scratches all over it.

My impression of the link bracelet was already poor, and I'm not surprised the entire thing scratches easily. The texture and finishing on it didn't look good at all to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

ouch. That looks pretty bad. Would be interested to hear how he'd handled it, but if it scratches that easily with relatively normal use that is really crappy.

TxdoHawk

What the hell?

I ordered the same watch at xx:03 and I am also stuck in processing. Quite perplexing. I chatted with an Apple support rep just to see if maybe my payment was declined or something, but they said it all looks good on their end.

Phreaker

I ordered the same watch at xx:03 and I am also stuck in processing. Quite perplexing. I chatted with an Apple support rep just to see if maybe my payment was declined or something, but they said it all looks good on their end.

I am xx:05 and am still processing with SG 42mm Sport. :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So according to reddit, the stainless steel watch scratches badly much like the old iPods.

or like every other mirror finish stainless watch/object.

anyone surprised by this has literally no experience with watches.

apple could have gone with a brushed finish which would have alleviated the situation. but I probably would not have gone with the SS as I wanted the mirror finish.

so when my watch starts looking bad... I'll grab my metal polish and put the mirror finish back.
A poorly finished one at least.
My traditional watches (not counting cheap ones) have held up far better after.

Eventually they all scratch though.

not at all poorly finished, but it IS a mirror finish which is usually not the case for most watches. you basically have two choices.. if/when it gets too bad for you, polish it.. or just brush the surface yourself, at which point it should be EXTREMELY scratch resistant.

My seiko 007 which I wear daily, and I've been pretty rough with it, doesn't have one scratch on the case, it's stainless steel also, so it's definitely an issue of the quality of the finish. Glad I went with the sport model

borghe

My seiko 007 which I wear daily, and I've been pretty rough with it, doesn't have one scratch on the case, it's stainless steel also, so it's definitely an issue of the quality of the finish. Glad I went with the sport model

is it a mirror finish? googling it looks like a brushed finish.

as I said above.. if people really want they can brush finish their SS Apple Watch and it will be just as scratch resistant.

borghe

It might be, I'm not sure honestly

it's a big deal. the reason the apple watch is "susceptible" to scratches is because it's a polished mirror finish. so a tiny micro-abrasion that wouldn't show up on a brushed surface shows up clear as day on the mirror surface.

but it's still 316L steel... the same steel as your seiko. so you basically have two choices... polish it back to a mirror finish if it gets bad enough to bug you.. or just brush it right from the start (take a brillo pad or such... sapphire screen should be completely safe)

personally I like the mirror finish.. it will get beat up and abused over time.. so just like any of my watches (some of which are almost 25 years old) I'll just polish it as needed.

Uh oh...just saw a thread over at MacRumors about people discussing the possibility of manufacturing defect in Black Sports Bands causing them to peel? Rumor is that is what may be causing delays in those configurations.

http://imgur.com/7PXU81n

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1872568

I wonder if this could be a similar problem that the PS4 controller analog sticks had with the rubber falling apart.

When I had my try-on appointment I noticed that the black sport bands felt "grippier" than the white ones. The white ones were very smooth, but the black had a grip texture to it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
or like every other mirror finish stainless watch/object.

anyone surprised by this has literally no experience with watches.

apple could have gone with a brushed finish which would have alleviated the situation. but I probably would not have gone with the SS as I wanted the mirror finish.

so when my watch starts looking bad... I'll grab my metal polish and put the mirror finish back.

not at all poorly finished, but it IS a mirror finish which is usually not the case for most watches. you basically have two choices.. if/when it gets too bad for you, polish it.. or just brush the surface yourself, at which point it should be EXTREMELY scratch resistant.

I know mirror finishes scratch easily, but seeing the extent of scratches less than 24 hours as DetroitBORG's video showed is surprising. My Junghans which is 100% mirror finished has held up better, and my daily wear Omega which has some polished bits is better off than that guy's watch.

Luckily as you stated, it can be repolished easily.
I'd love to see what how a brushed watch looks like, I'm sure someone will have it done soon.

Top Bottom