• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

xsarien

daedsiluap
My 2:00pm 4/10 order for the 42mm SG Sport just got adjusted to 4-6 weeks/May 29-Jun 11 from "June."

I hope it gets bumped again. :)

kaskade

I'll be keeping an eye on my band and see if anything happens. At least it's just the band and would be a simple replacement if it is a real issue.

I haven't had anyone really ask me about the watch but the weather got a little chilly so I'm still in long sleeves.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My 2:00pm 4/10 order for the 42mm SG Sport just got adjusted to 4-6 weeks/May 29-Jun 11 from "June."

I hope it gets bumped again. :)
Did you get an email, or are you just manually checking?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm getting 2 days of battery out of mine, with general dicking about.

if you're getting decent battery life, would you trade some of that for eg keeping the screen on longer when it activates? Some people have said it switches off a little too quickly. Sounds like some people could adjust that and still get over a day's usage.

Talon

lol - seems like people have never owned watches before. Stainless steel gets brushed and nicked. It's always been a thing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I know mirror finishes scratch easily, but seeing the extent of scratches less than 24 hours as DetroitBORG's video showed is surprising. My Junghans which is 100% mirror finished has held up better, and my daily wear Omega which has some polished bits is better off than that guy's watch.

Luckily as you stated, it can be repolished easily.
I'd love to see what how a brushed watch looks like, I'm sure someone will have it done soon.

I don't know what the hell he was doing.. I've done weightlifting and metcon workouts twice now (sat and this morning) and still have a perfect finish on mine..

I mean what the hell was he doing to get it looking like that? I sure as hell don't know.

edit - my biggest annoyance for workouts (that I'm thinking about) will be where I need wrist wraps on like snatches or heavy presses... does it seem like the watch should be fairly reliable like 2 inches up on my arm?

billeh

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the sapphire digitizer on a sport model. If for whatever reason my screen cracks in the future, would be cool to give it a little upgrade.

Talon

I don't know what the hell he was doing.. I've done weightlifting and metcon workouts twice now (sat and this morning) and still have a perfect finish on mine..

I mean what the hell was he doing to get it looking like that? I sure as hell don't know.

edit - my biggest annoyance for workouts (that I'm thinking about) will be where I need wrist wraps on like snatches or heavy presses... does it seem like the watch should be fairly reliable like 2 inches up on my arm?
Yeah, I've been loosening the Sport by one notch and sticking it further up my arm during workouts, and it works fine. Plenty tight enough.

PSGames

So according to reddit, the stainless steel watch scratches badly much like the old iPods. The sports screen is also scratching, but the aluminum body seems to be holding up.

I'm starting to think I should get a screen protector if the screen really does get scratched up like some of these initial reports. I can handle nicks on the body but the screen would drive me crazy.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
if you're getting decent battery life, would you trade some of that for eg keeping the screen on longer when it activates? Some people have said it switches off a little too quickly. Sounds like some people could adjust that and still get over a day's usage.

I should think so, I haven't adjusted any major settings. Tomorrow I'll change the screen timing and experiment. My watch was at 80% at 8am this morning and at 6pm it's on 59%. This is including doing demos at work for those who were interested, and using turn by turn directions on the way home.

Let's not kid ourselves, it's a wearable iPhone with watch functions pushed to the fore to make the paradigm shift easier to swallow. There will be yearly updates.

Yes, I got into this watch with the full knowledge I'd want to upgrade to ver. 2 or 3.

Speed and battery life are the biggest hurdles for Apple. Maybe speed of charging as well.

borghe

I'm starting to think I should get a screen protector if the screen really does get scratched up like some of these initial reports. I can handle nicks on the body but the screen would drive me crazy.

I don't get the Ion-X issues.. consumer reports put it at a Mohs hardness of 7.

although a good portion of it are the 2-5 pics circulating the internet out of probably somewhere like 1M units shipped worldwide..

regardless... $200 premium for the sapphire screen was well worth it to me. Knowing that any "imperfection" on the screen is certainly just dust or sweat... priceless :)

Let's not kid ourselves, it's a wearable iPhone with watch functions pushed to the fore to make the paradigm shift easier to swallow. There will be yearly updates.

I think it could be a lot like MacBooks in the regard where there's yearly updates, but not everyone is a major update that gets a lot of stage time. I think you'll see Watch events that might be limited to when they are updating the hardware with more sensors and whatnot and updates like a slightly faster processor or slightly larger capacity battery will just be a short mention in a larger press conference for something like the iPad or iPhone much like you have seen in the past with MacBook Airs getting a slightly upgraded processor or an extra 2 hours of battery life.

Xcellere

Tried on the 38mm Milanese Watch yesterday, sexy little bastard. I'm still having trouble justifying $600 for it, I'm still not seeing much utility in it when I already have an iPhone 6.

Fuchsdh

How has everyone's iPhones battery life been since this came into your life?

I've seen reactions all over the map about this, but I think it really depends on how you're using your phone. My biggest battery drains are Safari, Maps (when I need to use them) and the Lock/Home screen. If I'm using the watch to look at directions and see if notifications are important that's cutting down on the time my screen is on, so I expect I'd see battery life improvements with the data being pushed to the other screen. Other people's use cases, especially if they want to do lots of stuff on the watch... I'd expect it to be poorer.

I think it could be a lot like MacBooks in the regard where there's yearly updates, but not everyone is a major update that gets a lot of stage time. I think you'll see Watch events that might be limited to when they are updating the hardware with more sensors and whatnot and updates like a slightly faster processor or slightly larger capacity battery will just be a short mention in a larger press conference for something like the iPad or iPhone much like you have seen in the past with MacBook Airs getting a slightly upgraded processor or an extra 2 hours of battery life.

Yeah I am wondering exactly when these would get refreshed. I don't see how they could get a second model out in time for new iPhones even if they wanted so maybe they'll get periodic refreshes and then big updates on a schedule more akin to the Macs than iOS devices.

Tried on the 38mm Milanese Watch yesterday, sexy little bastard. I'm still having trouble justifying $600 for it, I'm still not seeing much utility in it when I already have an iPhone 6.

It suits me for biking and the fact that I don't like to pull out my phone all the time just to glance at notifications or check the weather.

For $600, I can understand being hesitant.

I also like wearing a watch and have wanted a new one for a while.

borghe

It "shouldn't" be a big deal for me to check myself, but.....

are bands for sale in stores yet?

It suits me for biking and the fact that I don't like to pull out my phone all the time just to glance at notifications or check the weather.

For $600, I can understand being hesitant.

I also like wearing a watch and have wanted a new one for a while.
like I said above... the $200 is purely cosmetic and materials... however, I have gotten a ton of compliments on the look of the SS watch.. and the peace of mind on that sapphire screen is sublime.

zero regrets, even if I upgrade next year.

zero regrets, even if I upgrade next year.

I actually do plan on upgrading next year, speedier processor and battery improvement will be a big difference I think, selling the sport model I will take a smaller hit then trying to sell the SS version. That's my logic at least

Ninja Dom

Yup, I agree.

borghe

I actually do plan on upgrading next year, speedier processor and battery improvement will be a big difference I think, selling the sport model I will take a smaller hit then trying to sell the SS version. That's my logic at least

lol, that is my exact logic for the SS version (one of us will be wrong... :p )

Both my orders...

- Stainless Steel Black Leather 4/24 - 5/8 ETA shipping is still processing

- Space Grey Sport w/ Black Sport Band 5/13 - 5/27 ETA is still processing

:[

BFIB

Ah borghe caught a ban. His updates in this thread were interesting to read.

Was it something in this thread that led to the ban?

I was reading his comments, not sure what would have caused the ban, but I know some of these Apple threads can become graveyards.

Mitch

Banned
Was it something in this thread that led to the ban?

I was reading his comments, not sure what would have caused the ban, but I know some of these Apple threads can become graveyards.
Most likely something in the locked Baltimore thread.

bms2993

Banned
I ordered a 38mm green Apple Watch Sport this Friday and it should be arriving any minute now. Just waiting on the UPS delivery man. :)

I am very impressed with the turn around time on the orders considering it is a brand new product.

bms2993

Banned
Likely his "GAF is a hivemind" post in Baltimore thread.

Fixed that for you. I have 4 orders made on the 10th that are just sitting there

Don't worry, you'll have yours soon! Apple is working hard to get all these orders out. I'm pretty sure I just chose a less popular model so they had some spare stock. Could be wrong.

Any moment now...
Screen_Shot_2015_04_27_at_1_42_51_PM.png

If I don't like my green band, I hope my local Apple Store has some bands in stock so I can trade them using their trading program.

I wish the stores would actually sell the bands. I understand ramping of production of the watch itself must be a pain but how are they having trouble getting watch straps to stores?

bms2993

Banned
I wish the stores would actually sell the bands. I understand ramping of production of the watch itself must be a pain but how are they having trouble getting watch straps to stores?

It is a mystery to me as well. I'm sure the bands will be abundance in just a month or so.

bms2993

Banned
Hmm... UPS tracker doesn't say delivered... but it said by 3:00 PM. It's 2:17 PM now. Wonder if I should wait or go to my apartment complex office to see if they have the package...

Top Bottom