• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never use flash at all on my computer. I actually have the flashblock plug in to block it. Only flash I use is youtube and the rest are just ads.

Burger

bathala said:
is there a site u can watch anime streaming that doesn't use flash?

If you use Safari, turn the Develop menu on (under Preferences, Advanced) then visit your favourite anime streaming site, go to Develop, User Agent, Mobile Safari iPad/iPhone.

See if it delivers HTML5 video. If it doesn't, ask them why their site doesn't work on iPhone/iPad.

OldJadedGamer said:
I never use flash at all on my computer. I actually have the flashblock plug in to block it. Only flash I use is youtube and the rest are just ads.

Why would you go out of your way to block flash? Why would you make yourself unable watch free Hulu and to view certain sites correctly?

Burger said:
If you use Safari, turn the Develop menu on (under Preferences, Advanced) then visit your favourite anime streaming site, go to Develop, User Agent, Mobile Safari iPad/iPhone.

See if it delivers HTML5 video. If it doesn't, ask them why their site doesn't work on iPhone/iPad.

How simple. Doesn't sound like a pain in the ass at all.

Burger

Bboy AJ said:

Betterer: http://www.verticalforest.com/youtube5-extension/

Trent Strong said:
Why would you go out of your way to block flash?

Because flash is a pile of shit. Haven't we been over this?

Trent Strong said:
How simple. Doesn't sound like a pain in the ass at all.

Well the alternative is to just try on your iPhone/iPad/iPod. Sure it's a pain in the ass.

Then again, you could always buy one of those fancy Motorola Xoom's and then stream all the flash sites you wan... oh wait that's right.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Trent Strong said:
Why would you go out of your way to block flash? Why would you make yourself unable watch free Hulu and to view certain sites correctly?
don't understand the overwrought distaste for the plugin either. the 10.2 release works great and decodes H.264 videos better than Chrome's (soon-to-be-gone) native player.

KtSlime

OldJadedGamer said:

If you use Safari there is the ClickToFlash extension that does a really good job of finding the mp4 for the video on the site and gives you the option to play it or to start the flash box area thingie. It works quite well - perhaps they have a version for Chrome too.

kehs

Banned
Trent Strong said:

Last month I decided to block all plugins in my browsers after using the "on demand" function of my phone browser.

It's a very nice experience to be honest. You get an indicator of stuff that requires plug ins when needed, and it's just a click away when wanted.

Site feel lighter and load faster.

KtSlime

scorcho said:
http://www.lockergnome.com/dannyminick/files/2010/01/34jan29-fanboy.jpg

Not cool.

The fact is, Adobe has repeatedly fucked Apple. At first they decided to stop developing for Apple. Apple went and built a damn emulation layer & the carbon API & suck Adobe off back in the early 2000's just to keep them on the platform. Adobe said FU to Jobs when they were bringing over Openstep as OS X, and said they couldn't use Display Postscript anymore - this set Apple's timeframe back because in addition to having to port the crappy OG Mac API as Carbon over, and write a damn emulator, they also had to rewrite the display engine. Adobe is always the LAST developer to upgrade their APIs to the latest version of OS X, they always use undocumented APIs which fuck shit up for developers and make it annoying for the user (Why the hell is there an A(7) in my menubar?). Flash itself is bloated, has too many redundant functions that can be done in HTML and have been able to be done in HTML for a long time, not just HTML5, it doesn't use OS X's accessibility key commands, it is slow, at times locks up the browser, up until recently completely unoptimized and even still makes my fan spin wildly, and I have to move my cursor whenever I am scrolling and it runs into a Flash box.

I have no sympathy for Adobe, if they want to honestly make their software not suck on OS X that's cool by me, but till then I will try and avoid it as much as possible.

Edit: Sorry Numble.

Burger said:
Betterer: http://www.verticalforest.com/youtube5-extension/

Well the alternative is to just try on your iPhone/iPad/iPod. Sure it's a pain in the ass.

Then again, you could always buy one of those fancy Motorola Xoom's and then stream all the flash sites you wan... oh wait that's right.

But it's not like having flash ruins your computer's performance or something. (At least as far as I know.) You're just making it so you can't see everything that the internet has to offer. I guess if you don't watch Hulu, Crunchyroll or etc. you aren't missing much, but I'd still hate to cut myself off from all the flash based internet content.

Copernicus said:
Last month I decided to block all plugins in my browsers after using the "on demand" function of my phone browser.

It's a very nice experience to be honest. You get an indicator of stuff that requires plug ins when needed, and it's just a click away when wanted.

Site feel lighter and load faster.

Probably a good idea for using a phone, but Old Jaded Gamer is blocking flash on his computer, which presumably can handle flash pretty easily.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Burger said:
I guess you ran out of intelligent things to say, so had to resort to that tired old schtick.
Burger said:
Tee hee. It's okay. I removed the Apple sticker out of my MBP box and slapped it on my forehead so we could be blood-brothers!

ivedoneyourmom: Don't have much to add onto your giant rant about Adobe, but Flash has improved its performance greatly with 10.2. On a side note, I frequently use Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects for work and have few complaints about its performance or perceived bloat on either Mac or Windows.

but, as numble suggested, perhaps this is best left for the other thread.

Burger

Trent Strong said:
But it's not like having flash ruins your computer's performance or something. (At least as far as I know.) You're just making it so you can't see everything that the internet has to offer. I guess if you don't watch Hulu, Crunchyroll or etc. you aren't missing much, but I'd still hate to cut myself off from all the flash based internet content.

Do you even have a Mac? Mac users have long suffered under Flash. It used to be that a Dual Core 2.whatever gigahertz machine, capable of over 200 million floating point operations per second was stretched to the limit playing a standard definition video.

It's better now that they can offload some of that work to the GPU, but for those with slightly older Mac's, forget it.

Oh and the main reason for crashes in Safari? Flash.plugin

So just imagine for a second why some Mac users out of everyone, hate Flash.

(p.s. Hulu is for Americans)

Tobor

Technosteve said:
Children children who the fuck cares about flash, bigger question leather or plastic ipad 2 snap cover And what color.
Finally, something worth talking about. Grey polyurethane, unless it looks bad in person.

Black leather.
I don't care for any of the poly covers, they look cheesy.

But I'm going to wait until the new Dodo case comes out, so I'm passing on the smart covers.

Burger said:
Do you even have a Mac? Mac users have long suffered under Flash. It used to be that a Dual Core 2.whatever gigahertz machine, capable of over 200 million floating point operations per second was stretched to the limit playing a standard definition video.

It's better now that they can offload some of that work to the GPU, but for those with slightly older Mac's, forget it.

Oh and the main reason for crashes in Safari? Flash.plugin

So just imagine for a second why some Mac users out of everyone, hate Flash.

(p.s. Hulu is for Americans)

OK, OK, I believe you. Since I know almost nothing about computers (I don't even know what a plug-in is) I'm not qualified to be arguing about flash anyway. And since I plan to get an iPad 2, I hope all internet video becomes available on quicktime, (or whatever that video thing that apple uses is called.)

kehs

Banned
Trent Strong said:

Probably a good idea for using a phone, but Old Jaded Gamer is blocking flash on his computer, which presumably can handle flash pretty easily.

When I said "my browsers" i meant every browser including desktops.

Yeah the red leather one looks nice but fuck 80 bucks for it plus 70 green felt dodo case and how ever the cost of camera kit ;(. This whole ipad business is mighty expensive.

Burger

Trent Strong said:
OK, OK, I believe you. Since I know almost nothing about computers (I don't even know what a plug-in is) I'm not qualified to be arguing about flash anyway. And since I plan to get an iPad 2, I hope all internet video becomes available on quicktime, (or whatever that video thing that apple uses is called.)

It's H.264, and it works on all modern mobile devices, iPad, iPhone, Galaxy Tab, Xoom... whatever. The chips in these devices can play these videos while taking tiny sips of power.

If you have an iPad you quickly discover that most web sites that previously served you a Flash video on your computer now serve you HTML5 video.

Trent Strong said:

It lets you play what flash file you want. I've found that 99% of the time the only flash I choose to play is YouTube. The lack of ads using flash has been heaven.

Technosteve said:
Children children who the fuck cares about flash, bigger question leather or plastic ipad 2 snap cover And what color.

Black leather for me too, but maybe going with gray.

KtSlime

Soybean said:
Ugh, so Verizon data requires a $35 activation fee? And you have to repay it if you're dormant for 3+ months?

I'd like to see a plan from both AT&T and Verizon on how they are going to increase their data caps over the next 5 years. I think it will be pretty silly to be paying $15 for 200MB/mo in the year 2015, heck it's already silly now.

These companies are getting away with 'murder'.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ahhh, thanks for the couple of responses folks, looks like some of the best tube sites indeed work on the iPad. GLORIOUS.

Gary Whitta said:
32gb wifi confirmed, only questions that remain are:

black or white?

stand in line or order online?

100% black. If you use it when watching TV (or in any darkish room), then the white border will stand out, and be very annoying (imo).

Keyser Soze said:
100% black. If you use it when watching TV (or in any darkish room), then the white border will stand out, and be very annoying (imo).
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. The white is aesthetically pleasing at first but no doubt will get annoying over time.

jax (old)

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

black or white?

I'd expect a bazilionaire hollywood script writer to be able to affor a 64gb. Wassup Gary.

+ BLACK

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Gary Whitta said:

black or white?

I'm in the same boat. I think I'll go with black and wait in line at an apple store or go to best buy. Then again if I had a white ipad people will know i have an ipad 2. hmmmmm

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I really want to see the white in person first at least to give it a chance.

Will they have display models out already in stores on Friday?
I"m guessing no...

hyp

dallow_bg said:

I"m guessing no...
they should. display models were out for the iPad 1 launch as well.

dallow_bg said:

I"m guessing no...
I'm sure they will. I bet the white one looks great in person, could be a tough call on the day...

I wonder how quickly the iPads ordered online will ship out, I'll be traveling starting the 20th and I would like to have my iPad with me for that trip.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LyleLanley said:
I wonder how quickly the iPads ordered online will ship out, I'll be traveling starting the 20th and I would like to have my iPad with me for that trip.
The iPad I ordered last year got to me from China in like 3 days with the free basic shipping they offered. (FedEx)
Can't be sure when they're super busy as I'm sure Friday will be. I did order on Black Friday though.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Luckily for me, I live in a very dense area with a lot of stores that carry it. Target, the Apple Store itself, Best Buy, Walmart and a couple other places. Unless I have a very bad string of luck I think I should be okay. I think I'll check out Target first to avoid the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom