• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
dallow_bg said:
The iPad I ordered last year got to me from China in like 3 days with the free basic shipping they offered. (FedEx)
Can't be sure when they're super busy as I'm sure Friday will be. I did order on Black Friday though.

Yeah, I doubt it'd take 9 days to arrive, but you never know. Since I'm in New York, I may just go to the big apple store on fifth avenue.

KtSlime

jett said:
Has a demo been shown showcasing the graphical power of this thing?

If you mean how snappy it is, then yes, Engadget has videos. If you mean (Infinity Blade)(9), no, no software has been made that uses nearly as many triangles as the processor can handle.

But as a rough estimate: imagine around half of what the PS3 can do.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
What would be fantastic is if Apple Stores put iPad 2's out for display a couple of hours beforehand so that customers can play with one before deciding on whether to drop the $500+ on the new hotness.

The confusion about the 3G models is actually making me wait a week so I can hear user reports on the three different models and how they work.

AlexMogil said:
Didn't you buy the wifi first last time and then get the 3g? What changed your mind?
I always wanted the 3G but got the wifi model so I could have one at launch, then sold it when the 3G came out.

jax (old)

Banned
@ garywhitta.

It was a real pity you weren't on the podcast/tested - when they discussed the ipad2.0 announcement. Hopefully, you'll be able to do one after you get your ipad 2.0

Jax said:
@ garywhitta.

It was a real pity you weren't on the podcast/tested - when they discussed the ipad2.0 announcement. Hopefully, you'll be able to do one after you get your ipad 2.0
I'm on the podcast tomorrow, no doubt the subject will come up.

ascii42

Trent Strong said:
But it's not like having flash ruins your computer's performance or something. (At least as far as I know.) You're just making it so you can't see everything that the internet has to offer. I guess if you don't watch Hulu, Crunchyroll or etc. you aren't missing much, but I'd still hate to cut myself off from all the flash based internet content.
Now, I'm a rare case since I actually still use a PPC Mac. I have a Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5. It can do 720p Quicktime video just fine. I'm pretty sure it can do 1080p as well, but my monitor is only 1680x1050 so I usually don't bother. As for Flash video, 480p is barely watchable. It uses more of my CPU than Quicktime does processing HD video. I've pretty much stopped watching Hulu on it for that reason. Flash is awful on for PPC, and since Adobe has official dropped PPC support, it will remain that way forevermore.

SuperPac

Gary Whitta said:
32gb wifi confirmed, only questions that remain are:

black or white?

stand in line or order online?

For me, it's 32GB, black, AT&T 3G, and ordering online. I might also get one for the wife, probably the same model.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm still waiting for Amazon!!!!!!!!!! No tax! But with 18 different models of the iPad 2, they may only carry a few of them.
I didn't even think that Amazon sold iPads. I wonder if they'll have them on Friday? That would be the best place for me to get one.

NYR

Gary Whitta said:
I always wanted the 3G but got the wifi model so I could have one at launch, then sold it when the 3G came out.
So you didn't like the 3G on the 2nd iPad you bought?

Still deciding which model I'm going with. Leaning towards WIFI+3G 32 GB. Will likely order online and line up as well. Cover my bases either way...

Maklershed said:
I didn't even think that Amazon sold iPads. I wonder if they'll have them on Friday? That would be the best place for me to get one.

They sold the first one but really late in the game. They haven't announced anything for the second one.

Ulairi

Banned
Do any of you guys use the iPad for listening to music? That's the only thing that would push me from 32GB o 64GB. But, I have my iPhone for music as well so might be a little redundant.

Skilletor

Ulairi said:
Do any of you guys use the iPad for listening to music? That's the only thing that would push me from 32GB o 64GB. But, I have my iPhone for music as well so might be a little redundant.

I do when I'm using my iPad to write. I don't have much music on there, though (16gb).

I'm probably going to upgrade to a 32gb iPad 2. I would be able to resist if my friend weren't getting hers Friday...sigh. lol

qwerty2k

Garageband does indeed look awesome! i assume apple will be selling the apogee jam connector on their store in the uk as well as usa?

I was just looking at the dodocase 2, are third party cases not getting acces to the smart cover tech? I really want a smart cover that covers the back as well.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
LyleLanley said:
I was just looking at the dodocase 2, are third party cases not getting acces to the smart cover tech? I really want a smart cover that covers the back as well.

I'm pretty sure no case manufacturer has an iPad 2 yet. I'm sure we'll see new cases that take advantage of the magnets soon after launch.

cjelly said:
Access?

It's magnets.

I understand that, but will it work with the automatic locking and unlocking of the iPad?

Dupy said:
I'm pretty sure no case manufacturer has an iPad 2 yet. I'm sure we'll see new cases that take advantage of the magnets soon after launch.

Yeah, I'm just disappointed apple isn't making a case that covers the back since that's probably the most likely place to get scratches.

Burger

LyleLanley said:
Yeah, I'm just disappointed apple isn't making a case that covers the back since that's probably the most likely place to get scratches.

Wrap it in glad wrap, then cut out the screen bit? Seriously, the aluminium is protection for the delicate insides, what's the need for further protection?

I don't have a case for my car, my laptop, my iphone, my ipod, my wallet... Maybe I should get into the case business.

Burger said:
Wrap it in glad wrap, then cut out the screen bit? Seriously, the aluminium is protection for the delicate insides, what's the need for further protection?

I don't have a case for my car, my laptop, my iphone, my ipod, my wallet... Maybe I should get into the case business.

I don't like seeing the aluminum get all scuffed up and it also decreases the value for when I inevitably sell it when the iPad 3 comes out.

As for those other things, I don't have a case for my laptop(I have a carrying case but that doesn't count) as it's usually not being moved around nor are there many scenarios where I would drop it when it's not in my bag, my iPhone is glass so it won't scratch and I like the feel of it so there's no need for a case on that either.

As for your wallet, I'm pretty sure that's the case for your money and cards.

Burger

LyleLanley said:
I don't like seeing the aluminum get all scuffed up and it also decreases the value for when I inevitably sell it when the iPad 3 comes out.

As for those other things, I don't have a case for my laptop(I have a carrying case but that doesn't count) as it's usually not being moved around nor are there many scenarios where I would drop it when it's not in my bag, my iPhone is glass so it won't scratch and I like the feel of it so there's no need for a case on that either.

As for your wallet, I'm pretty sure that's the case for your money and cards.

Different strokes. Jobs said on stage they specifically came up with smart covers because there was little point in investing so much in the design of a product only to stuff it inside a case and hide it. I have the Apple case for my iPad but I don't use it anymore, it's better outside.

I think the smart covers are a clever compromise, but if you feel like you need the back protected, I'm sure there will be a 3rd party out there willing to help.

Not sure if it was posted, but Grove is making an iPad 2 case
http://www.grovemade.com/products/ipad-2-case-pre-order
W5cwV.jpg

LyleLanley said:

You can get a smart cover and simply place the iPad screen down with the smart cover protecting the screen. The other option is to buy a pouch/sleeve you can store the iPad in.

I'm sure there will be tons of third party cases, sleeves, and other accessories very soon.

Piggus

The Grove cases are interesting but I really want my iPad to be naked. So I'm going for a sleeve. Specifically, SENA Ultrathin. I brought them up before but thought I'd bring them up again for anyone who missed it.

black.jpg

white.jpg

SENA cases in general are pretty cool. I have an Ultraslim sleeve for my iPhone and after the leather is broken in, it's perfect.

http://www.senacases.com/apple/apple-ipad-cases/

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is the back of your iPad scratched up burger?

I leave it naked at home, but always put it down on something soft or sitting up on my Compass stand thing so I've kept it perfect condition.

When I take it out of the house I put a case on on it, for scratch protection, and just because it's easier to handle since I don't worry about how I'm holding it, where I put it down, or who's eyeing it.

Burger

dallow_bg said:
Is the back of your iPad scratched up burger?

I leave it naked at home, but always put it down on something soft.

When I take it out of the house I put a case on on it, for scratch protection, and just because it's easier to handle since I don't worry about how I'm holding it, where I put it down, or who's eyeing it.

Not especially, but I usually throw it on my bed, the arm of a chair, on a pile of clothes, etc. It looks nothing like the backs of my iPod or iPhone, they look similar to the old Berlin wall. I rarely take it outside though, if I did I would be the same, in the case it goes.

Jasoco

Banned
MacOutfitters still isn't 100% sure they'll be receiving them exactly on Friday. But they are letting me come in and take a number at 9AM as long as I come back before 5 to claim one. Else, if they do come in and do sell out, then they would automatically place an order for one on Saturday.

9AM. *sigh*

Still, I wonder how busy a local small town Apple retailer will actually be compared to an Apple Store... though... they have been packed in the past when OS X versions have been released. Guess I should decide now whether I want it day one, or can wait until next week.

Oh boy.

White... or black... Goddamn white looks nice. But I hope they have enough to let me test the two colors out before I decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom