• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
That's what it's touted as. In reality, the advantage most people are immediately aware of is how easy it is to plug in. Barely wave the connector in the general direction of the port and *snap*, it's charging.

I've always seen the safety feature as secondary to the ease of use aspect, tbh.

Either way, the current form of that mini plug (pictured) is too deep to have a practical magnetic latch. Imagine how easy it'd be getting any sort of small metal stuck in the port.

Also, I wonder if data transfer equivalent to the 30pin connector would even be possible/feasible with a really shallow port like the MagSafe.

... that's your reality. Everyone I know is aware of the safety feature especially when coming over from another laptop that broke after tripping the power cable.

VoxPop

I highly doubt they will go with "the new iPhone" moniker on the packaging. The iPad 3 was referred to as the new iPad but it still only said iPad on the box. It's also way too long and won't hold up in the future.

see5harp

Headphone jack on the bottom is dumb too, makes sense I guess for the Vita as it gets any drooping wire out of the way of the back-touch, but no such benefit for the iPhone.

Headphone jack on the Vita is idiotic. It makes the profile wider and makes it impossible to use as a portable music player. Headphone jack on the bottom for a phone really is no different from the first nano or first iPod touch.

coldfoot

Banned
I think it will simply be called the iPhone as well. All their other product lines don't have numbers after the model name, macbook pro, air, imac, ipad, ipod, etc. Just makes sense.

People will just have to learn it to call the nth generation like they do with ipods etc.

Davidion

Everyone's thinking that the 5 will be the name of the phone. What if it's the number of mobile product lines that Apple will now have?

New product line ahoy!

Phoenix

The screen and LTE were the only real upgrades to the iPad this fall, and it's doing just fine.

Let's not forget, though, that this could very well get some sort of software upgrade that is still hardware exclusive.

The retina iPad has no near peers from a competitive perspective so that's not quite the same thing. From a competitive perspective, the iPhone now has near peers so a slow technology or innovation path is more damaging.

Enco

That's what it's touted as. In reality, the advantage most people are immediately aware of is how easy it is to plug in. Barely wave the connector in the general direction of the port and *snap*, it's charging.

I've always seen the safety feature as secondary to the ease of use aspect, tbh.

Either way, the current form of that mini plug (pictured) is too deep to have a practical magnetic latch. Imagine how easy it'd be getting any sort of small metal stuck in the port.

Also, I wonder if data transfer equivalent to the 30pin connector would even be possible/feasible with a really shallow port like the MagSafe.
All true.

Sold my unlocked 4S 16gb for 520 net after fees and stuff. Not too shabby.
Using a dumb phone until the release?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Regardless of whether the ease of plugging/unplugging is the first thing you notice, that's not what the feature is for. It's a side effect of the safety feature.

Moreover the physics of the thing wouldn't work. The point is that the connection has to be strong enough to stay in (most of the time!) but weak enough that the force to remove it is less than the force required to move your laptop. But a phone is tiny and weighs virtually nothing; the magnets would have to be so weak that they would barely stay attached to the phone.

They could make the dock magnetic anyway, but if anything that would likely increase the chance of your dropping and damaging the phone, because the current connection is strong enough to hold the phone's weight even with a short drop, but a 'MagSafe' connector might not be unless it's particularly strong: and that removes the 'easier to unplug' part of the equation.

coldfoot

Banned
ebay. Factory unlocked devices are much more expensive. Apple sells the base 4s for 650 unlocked + taxes.
You did good. Most people don't know that any GSM iphone can be factory unlocked as long as the phone owner's account was closed and paid for. I got my 4S few months ago for $400 on Craigslist, asked the owner for the IMEI, and did the unlock myself through AT&T support before paying for it.

noah111

Still Alive
... that's your reality. Everyone I know is aware of the safety feature especially when coming over from another laptop that broke after tripping the power cable.
I never said they weren't aware of it, just that the connivence factor is more immediately obvious to a user than the safety feature.

Regardless of whether the ease of plugging/unplugging is the first thing you notice, that's not what the feature is for. It's a side effect of the safety feature.

Moreover the physics of the thing wouldn't work. The point is that the connection has to be strong enough to stay in (most of the time!) but weak enough that the force to remove it is less than the force required to move your laptop. But a phone is tiny and weighs virtually nothing; the magnets would have to be so weak that they would barely stay attached to the phone.

They could make the dock magnetic anyway, but if anything that would likely increase the chance of your dropping and damaging the phone, because the current connection is strong enough to hold the phone's weight even with a short drop, but a 'MagSafe' connector might not be unless it's particularly strong: and that removes the 'easier to unplug' part of the equation.
You're talking about the physics as if it would be intended as a safety feature for the phone. That's not what i'm disputing. I get that it wouldn't work in that respect, but that was never my point.

And as you say, the current connector is the same in that regard; pull the wire and your phone will be yanked. That wouldn't be greatly different with a magnet (never said it would be easier to unplug). What would be easier, and what I was referring to with 'ease of use', is actually plugging it in (magnetically). There's no reason why a magnetic port "wouldn't work" unless you're seeing it solely as a safety feature, which it doesn't need to be.

[EDIT] It's also worth mentioning that Apple is exploring/has explored MagSafe as a way for data transfer (i.e. dock port) in iDevices, as some of their patents have shown. I doubt we'll see it come to fruition any time soon, though.

Does Apple usually take pre-orders on the day of their announcements? I forget how they handled it with the iPhone 4, iPad, etc.

see5harp

It makes sense. When the phone's in your pocket, it'll be easier to lift out and you won't have to turn it upside down to switch songs.

That was why the Nano was the best iPod after the click wheel. People who don't understand this must have never used it.

noah111

Still Alive
I never understood why it has been on the top all this time.
Haven't the speakers traditionally been on the bottom, even with the old iPod Touch's? Those had bottom jacks, but the speaker sound quality was horrible. The only bad thing I can think of with the the headphone jack being on the bottom, is for left handed people who hold their iPhone's with the lower left corner/edge pushing into the center of their palm. The jack would bend against their palm.

And of course new docks will need to have the headphone jack adapter so it can still be used while docked. Other than that (which is pretty nitpicky imo) there's nothing particularly WRONG with it being on the bottom.

I'm unhappy with my iPhone 4 considering it's showing its age (slow, camera not so great, etc), but the 5 looks so underwhelming. I'm almost tempted to wait until a 5S or whatever the following version is. Apple overall has lost their wonder for me, but I still don't want an android. Oh well.

I'm unhappy with my iPhone 4 considering it's showing its age (slow, camera not so great, etc), but the 5 looks so underwhelming. I'm almost tempted to wait until a 5S or whatever the following version is. Apple overall has lost their wonder for me, but I still don't want an android. Oh well.

What exactly is underwhelming about it so far?

What do you think of Lumia 920?

KHarvey16

The two things that make you unhappy about your iPhone 4 almost assuredly being addressed renders nothing more than a grade of underwhelming?

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone who's really underwhelmed with this new iPhone (which hasn't been revealed yet, lulz) will probably think otherwise after watching the keynote. That's what Apple does. :p

Passbook/NFC will probably play the role that Siri did for the 4S. Hopefully better..

sTeLioSco

Banned
i don't know if this rumored mockup was posted (don't visit iphone threads often)

The iPhone 5 Cases Showing Up At AT&T Indicate A Taller Phone

iphone-5-new-case.jpg

AT&T stores are already receiving various iPhone 5 accessories, according to Boy Genius Report's sources at the phone company.

Accessories can provide a crucial clue about the new iPhone's size. As we get closer to the official announcement next week, more news is trickling out about Apple's next-generation iPhone.

According to BGR's mockup, the iPhone 5 is longer—enough for a fifth row of app icons on the home screen.

Take this rumor with a grain of salt but last year before the iPhone 4S launch BGR discovered similar cases for that phone and they were correct.

Here is another photo of the iPhone 5 with a screen protector:

iphone-5-screen-protecto.jpg

And a photo of the back of the device:

iphone-5-back-case.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/att-iphone-5-cases-2012-9

AngryMoth

Have there been any strong rumours of what they're going to do with the extra screen space? I always hoped they'd use it as a widget area. If they black bar all existing apps just to add an extra row of icons to home screen, I would seriously consider waiting for the next Nexus, not something I thought I'd be saying this time last year. Not excited by iOS6. It would be very difficult to tear myself away from the Apple ecosystem though, maybe I will get one regardless, I'm desperate to ditch my 3GS.

buhdeh

Have there been any strong rumours of what they're going to do with the extra screen space? I always hoped they'd use it as a widget area. If they black bar all existing apps just to add an extra row of icons to home screen, I would seriously consider waiting for the next Nexus, not something I thought I'd be saying this time last year. Not excited by iOS6. It would be very difficult to tear myself away from the Apple ecosystem though, maybe I will get one regardless, I'm desperate to ditch my 3GS.

uh oh, now you've done it.

Davidion

It can ostensibly serve as a piece of dedicated keyboard/widget real estate. I always thought the keyboard utility was key for the extra space, though I haven't really looked at the spacing

Enco

I don't want to because I hate the alternatives but if I ever did I would lose on a shitload of money spent on apps and games.

aza

Apparent working iPhone 5 leaked, video of boot screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVzt-_zajE&feature=player_embedded

This is a heck of a video, in that it shows an iPhone 5 booting up next to an iPhone 4S. Even better, it seems real.

According to MIC Gadget, the iPhone 5 was “accidentally” discovered in Foxconn’s Jincheng factory, which basically means it was smuggled out and is stolen property. Whatever the provenance, though, it seems to be legit: the official first sighting of a working iPhone 5 in the wild.

What else do we know? Not much: the iPhone 5 boots up much more quickly than the iPhone 4S, but otherwise, it’s not capable of being activated at this point, so the iPhone 5 stalls at the activation screen.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/188810/first-video-of-a-working-iphone-5-leaked/#Q8zYgCJRC2xlgV9x.99

coldfoot

Banned
Looks like someone built their own iphone from the leaked parts, hence some parts like the menu button not looking right, might be from older iphones.

Sealda

Banned
I say its real.

Sounds like it is taken in a factory environment (with that, i do not mean foxcon, just any of the plentiful factories, involved in the iPhone production, including 3rd party accessories etc. Damn loud background noise. I am sure the stickers has a reason too. Anyone faking, would never that awkward stickers over the back. If they wanted to hide smth, just dont show the back then?!

Probably real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom