• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally I'll be taking the smartphone plunge with this one...my nokia slider phone has been butt of too many jokes for far too long now. Hope they still have some surprises with it following the rumors!

Same here, although my wife and I might go with 4S if there is a significant difference in price.

noah111

Still Alive
So just some clarification on the 16:9 vs 3:2/true 4" thing;

iPhone 4/4S — 3.5 inch 3:2
960x640
329ppi, retina @ 10"
614,400 total pixels

iPhone "5" — 4 inch 16:9
1138x640
327ppi, retina @ 11"
728,320 total pixels
113,920 extra pixels in height
0,0 extra pixels in width
113,920 total extra pixels

iPhone X — 4 inch 3:2
1080x720
325ppi, retina @ 11"
777,600 total pixels
86,400 extra pixels in height
76,800 extra pixels in width
163,200 total extra pixels
iPhone%20screen%20sizes.png

iPhone X is what people are referring to when they say 'true' 4 inch iPhone. It'd have nearly 50k extra pixels (assuming similar ppi) than a 16:9 4incher, which is what we'll be getting with this new iPhone. Not to mention that the advantages of an elongated screen are a bit non-substantial in comparison, especially when you take into account the default orientation and how people actually use the device.

BUT, it is easier for Apple to produce, less complicated for iOS developers to adopt, and a generally simpler transition than a 3:2 4incher would've been... so there's that. All in all, it probably makes most sense.

Still, if you were planning on buying a non-iPhone due to a bigger screen size (like more and more consumers are these days), the new iPhone probably won't put a halt to those plans. A 'true' 4" might have.

SuperPac

Take this rumor with a grain of salt but last year before the iPhone 4S launch BGR discovered similar cases for that phone and they were correct.

Accessory deliveries aren't always an accurate read - http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/iphone-5-silicone-sleeves-already-arriving-at-att-retail-stores/ and http://gigaom.com/apple/iphone-5-cases-hit-att-stores-suggest-design-changes/ from last year.

That video's a bit odd but the thing that sticks out to me is the Apple logo doesn't seem centered on the device during boot. Hard to tell though because of the angle.

kehs

Banned
So just some clarification on the 16:9 vs 3:2/true 4" thing;

iPhone 4/4S — 3.5 inch 3:2
960x640
329ppi, retina @ 10"
614,400 total pixels

iPhone "5" — 4 inch 16:9
1138x640
327ppi, retina @ 11"
728,320 total pixels
113,920 extra pixels in height
0,0 extra pixels in width
113,920 total extra pixels

iPhone X — 4 inch 3:2
1080x720
325ppi, retina @ 11"
777,600 total pixels
86,400 extra pixels in height
76,800 extra pixels in width
163,200 total extra pixels
http://f.cl.ly/items/361m2R3y3L3c3W2b1C2f/iPhone%20screen%20sizes.png[IMG] [URL="http://f.cl.ly/items/1o1d083b1u2y3w3C3T26/screens.png"][IMG]http://f.cl.ly/items/0E1K22091e1A1j340m0b/screens.png[MG][/URL]

iPhone X is what people are referring to when they say 'true' 4 inch iPhone. It'd have nearly 50k extra pixels (assuming similar ppi) than a 16:9 4incher, which is what we'll be getting with this new iPhone. Not to mention that the advantages of an elongated screen are a bit non-substantial in comparison, especially when you take into account the default orientation and how people actually use the device.

BUT, it is easier for Apple to produce, less complicated for iOS developers to adopt, and a generally simpler transition than a 3:2 4incher would've been... so there's that. All in all, it probably makes most sense.

Still, if you were planning on buying a non-iPhone due to a bigger screen size (like more and more consumers are these days), the new iPhone probably won't put a halt to those plans. A 'true' 4" might have.[/QUOTE]

You sure overlay the screens aligned to one corner and not the center. The differences are more apparent.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh! The headphone jack's on the bottom? God, I HATE that! My iPod touch had its jack on the bottom and the port got filled with crusty crumbs from being in my pocket at work that I couldn't even plug a headphone jack in anymore. I want the damn port on the TOP where it has been! This sucks. It's bad enough I have to make sure the dock port stays clear, but at least that's shallow and easy to get to. The headphone port is tiny and dark and I couldn't tell what was in the way.

Anyways, small quibble out of the way, I have an iPhone 4S that I only got back at the end of June. It's a Prepaid Virgin iPhone and it works great. Well, as well as Virgin is going to work. I get data, it's slow, but it works, and it's cheap monthly. Yes, I paid more for the phone, a lot more, but at least I'm not using the shitty Android (All Virgin Android's are low-end POS rejects that don't even get near the current OS. Another complete plus for Apple and its "No dumbed down models" mantra. You buy an iPhone, you get the whole iPhone.) I was using.

I couldn't hold out for the iPhone 5 because my Android was just being such a bitch. I won't go into it as this isn't the place. I guess in retrospect I could have bought a cheap other Virgin phone to replace my Optimus V until the 5 is released onto Virgin, but oh well. I probably won't buy a 5, but will gladly get the 6 or 5S or whatever is released next September or so. Though I won't promise I won't break down, sell my 4S and buy a 5 when all apps are updated for the new screen just to get the 5th row of icons on the Home screen.

Because that's really all it comes down to. 4 more icons per screen. I like to keep things simple. I have one screen on my iPhone (Plus a second never used screen with a folder full of stock apps I can't delete and the Newsstand app I don't use on my iPhone.) with all the apps I use on that device. Four folders for everything not as import. But there's still a few apps I'd still love to put on that screen. Four is really all I could use so having that extra row is kind of a big deal for some people. Namely me. In fact, on my iPad I wish they'd let us have one more row and one more column because there's so much damn space between icons, why not let us have some more spaces? I have two pages on my iPad. But if I had those extra spaces there, I'd only have one.

I got the white 4S and will probably get the white 5S too. I like how they look, but will probably have to see it in person first.

Okay, large amount of text over.

Epix

Headphone jack on the bottom is the perfect place. You should be placing the phone in your pocket bottom up (so the cable runs straight out of your pocket). When you reach your hand in to grab the phone and then bring the phone up to look at the screen it should be perfectly oriented (also the cable will be running directly from the bottom of the phone instead of out of the top, bending quickly downward and then obstructing the screen).

It's perfect.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No it's not because I don't listen to music with it in my pocket. I put it in my "iPod pocket", you know, that small pocket inside your bigger pocket in your jeans Steve used to show off the iPod nano release? I put it there at work so I can press Power and see the time because it sticks out about 2 inches and fits snugly. I don't want the headphone jack at the bottom because as I said, it gets filled with crumbs and junk and is extremely hard to clean out.

Tobor

No it's not because I don't listen to music with it in my pocket. I put it in my "iPod pocket", you know, that small pocket inside your bigger pocket in your jeans Steve used to show off the iPod nano release? I put it there at work so I can press Power and see the time. I don't want the headphone jack at the bottom because as I said, it gets filled with crumbs and junk and is extremely hard to clean out.

Wait, what? You keep your iPhone in the change pocket of your jeans? You store loose food in your jeans pockets? None of this makes any sense to me.

I've carried an iPhone in my right jeans pocket for years, it's not full of "crumbs and junk".

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wait, what? You keep your iPhone in the change pocket of your jeans? You store loose food in your jeans pockets? None of this makes any sense to me.

I've carried an iPhone in my right jeans pocket for years, it's not full of "crumbs and junk".
Who said I keep food in my pants? We work in an environment with food. And yes, I keep it in that tiny pocket. Because it fits great and is cheaper than a belt clip case or something. I'd get a belt clip case if I found one that didn't require me to add a bulky casing to the phone itself but none really exist that also work with other normal cases.

Tobor

Who said I keep food in my pants? We work in an environment with food. And yes, I keep it in that tiny pocket. Because it fits great and is cheaper than a belt clip case or something. I'd get a belt clip case if I found one that didn't require me to add a bulky casing to the phone itself but none really exist that also work with other normal cases.

You specifically said crumbs, so I assumed you were talking about food in your pockets.

KingKong

No it's not because I don't listen to music with it in my pocket. I put it in my "iPod pocket", you know, that small pocket inside your bigger pocket in your jeans Steve used to show off the iPod nano release? I put it there at work so I can press Power and see the time because it sticks out about 2 inches and fits snugly. I don't want the headphone jack at the bottom because as I said, it gets filled with crumbs and junk and is extremely hard to clean out.

edit: missed the part about the power, but headphone jack at the bottom makes so much more sense for taking a phone out and having it be oriented the correct way

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why would it be at the bottom? Just put the phone in the other way like it's supposed to be so when you take it out and look down at it, it will be the correct way instead of upside down like it is right now
I don't take it out. Mainly because then the managers yell "Put your phone away!" even if you're just looking at the time. It's just dead simple to press the power button and glance down as you're walking around.

Can I ask exactly why people would prefer it be at the top?

Phoenix

I don't take it out. Mainly because then the managers yell "Put your phone away!" even if you're just looking at the time. It's just dead simple to press the power button and glance down as you're walking around.

Can I ask exactly why people would prefer it be at the top?

Because then I'm holding the phone in my hand and I have headphones on the phone it is clumsy for the headphone jack to be at the bottom of the device to get to my head. It is a usability issue more than anything else.

noah111

Still Alive
Oh damn, I just realized something. I do a decent amount of gaming on my iPhone and it is a huge pain in the ass to play while charging and using the headphone jack. Which I do both of, a lot. Neither side is clear for a comfortable enough grip at that point. My index finger literally gets scratched up by the 30pin plug. The mini connector will definitely make this more comfortable. So will the jack repositioning.

I admittedly barely follow what you're saying, crumbs and all, but this is the very definition of nit-picky. :p Adapt! I know you can do it.

Hate to break it to you but that pocket might not work out for you anymore anyway, since this new phone is quite a bit longer..

Tobor

Because then I'm holding the phone in my hand and I have headphones on the phone it is clumsy for the headphone jack to be at the bottom of the device to get to my head. It is a usability issue more than anything else.

I'm failing to understand this. Given the exact scenario you mention, it seems like it would be better on the bottom. The cable would route out towards your body rather than folding over.

Ugh, it's still pissing me off that the thing is so long but so small width wise. Fuck, it's kind of turning me off from the phone to be honest.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
If they do announce a new iPod touch with a considerable power bump it is SO gonna be a religious experience for me!!

Phoenix

I'm failing to understand this. Given the exact scenario you mention, it seems like it would be better on the bottom. The cable would route out towards your body rather than folding over.

My phone is at my arms, me ears are at my head. How is the cable on the bottom better for getting from the top of the phone to my ears?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ugh, it's still pissing me off that the thing is so long but so small width wise. Fuck, it's kind of turning me off from the phone to be honest.

I hate it.

16:9 just looks off for a phone. If they really needed space for a bigger battery they should have just bit the bullet and gone for 4" with the same proportions.

That wouldn't have messed up every single app either.

Cheech

The headphone jack on the bottom is a GODSEND for people who keep their phones in armbands while exercising.

I've been running with my 4S all year and it's a pain in the ass trying to read my pace, time, etc. upside down.

If I upgrade to the 5, and that's a big IF, that will be my #1 feature. Even over LTE.

Tobor

My phone is at my arms, me ears are at my head. How is the cable on the bottom better for getting from the top of the phone to my ears?

If you're holding the phone normally in your hand, the cable would come out the bottome and follow your arm back to your body. With the current iPhone, holding the phone in your hand would mean the cable has to fold around back to your arm.

We're probably miscommunicating this.

LCfiner

The cable is 4 feet long. it is longer than the distance from the top of the phone to your head, while you hold it in front of you to manipulate the screen. if it's in your pocket, then it doesn't matter the orientation of the phone.

Whenever I've had the iphone or the ipod classic in my hand, and was looking at it / using it, the cable would always droop over my fingers on the back or the screen in the front , before coming back up to my head. it doesn't just make a beeline to my ears without first dropping down somewhere around the device.

if the port is at the bottom, the cable won't touch any part of my hand or the screen, and will just make one turn upward to my face.

but, whatever, this isn't a huge deal.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I admittedly barely follow what you're saying, crumbs and all, but this is the very definition of nit-picky. :p Adapt! I know you can do it.

Hate to break it to you but that pocket might not work out for you anymore anyway, since this new phone is quite a bit longer..
Nah, not that much longer. It would still fit in my pocket perfectly since it's still the same width and thickness.

And you'd understand if you were in my rubber non-slip booty shoe covers every day. But at this point it's a silly thing to argue about. I'd just have to put up with constantly making sure no crumbs, or POCKET LINT, stick in there all the time.

cjkeats

I really hope these leaks are fake, just so Cook can come on stage and gloat about baiting and switching us.
"I said I would tighten security, and you never believed me muhahahahah!"

headphones out of the bottom is the only right way.

i remember reading that Samsung has patents on LTE.. wonder what it means if it goes to court

Apple has been hoarding LTE patents in a bid to head off a possible legal attack from fierce rival Samsung on its forthcoming iPhone 5, according to reports from Korea.

Apple has gone from holding zero LTE patents last year to having 318 filed away today. That's around five per cent of the world’s total

Samsung has the largest share of the patents on the planet with 819 (12.7 per cent)

mcfrank

i remember reading that Samsung has patents on LTE.. wonder what it means if it goes to court

Apple has been hoarding LTE patents in a bid to head off a possible legal attack from fierce rival Samsung on its forthcoming iPhone 5, according to reports from Korea.

Apple has gone from holding zero LTE patents last year to having 318 filed away today. That's around five per cent of the world’s total

Samsung has the largest share of the patents on the planet with 819 (12.7 per cent)

Apple already has LTE in the iPad. If Samsung was going to sue over LTE, wouldn't they have done so?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
no one is expecting a storage bump, right? (ie:128gb or whatever)
Would be nice if they finally set 32 as the baseline but it probably won't happen for a while yet still. 16 at lowest. 64 at highest. Silly. Come on, 32, 64, 128 options! No more 16, 32, 64. Thank goodness 8 is gone. 16 is just enough for my iPhone specific apps and main iTunes playlists.

Zeth

Dalrymple is backing up the 9to5Mac iPod story on the new Amplified podcast. Could see new Touches. Makes sense to get them out of the way for the Mini.

Phoenix

If you're holding the phone normally in your hand, the cable would come out the bottome and follow your arm back to your body. With the current iPhone, holding the phone in your hand would mean the cable has to fold around back to your arm.

We're probably miscommunicating this.

Trust me, I know what you're saying. I have a Galaxy Nexus which has its jack on the bottom and a GS3/iPhone4S which have it on the top. The Nexus keeps getting tangled up on my arm as I'm moving around where the GS3 and iPhone4S do not. The difference is largely that when its on the top it is mostly out of contact with my body, when its on the bottom it isn't. I find the top far less annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully iOS 6 also comes out the same day the iPhone Next is released. Really want to get my hands on it and see if the GPS maps are valid for a Virgin prepaid iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom