• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snack

Can anyone list the pros of the SIII? I only know of buddy sharing. A lot of my friends are changing ship over to Samsung because they hate having to sync with iTunes. I still wanna stay with Apple though because iTunes hasn't been that bad to me. I hate how it only allows me to sync to one computer at a time, but they than that... It's not really THAT bad.

Number45

They're DRM free now, being able to sync with other libraries would be a step too far for them I think! I don't touch iTunes on my phone at all now, but I do have Match setup so I don't have to.

Why are you syncing to iTunes? There's no need to do that anymore.
If your music library is on iTunes you still need to do that.

dkeane

Can anyone list the pros of the SIII? I only know of buddy sharing. A lot of my friends are changing ship over to Samsung because they hate having to sync with iTunes. I still wanna stay with Apple though because iTunes hasn't been that bad to me. I hate how it only allows me to sync to one computer at a time, but they than that... It's not really THAT bad.
Why are you syncing to iTunes? There's no need to do that anymore.

cjkeats

Mostly for the music. You can sync songs without iTunes?!

iTunes Match. It's beautiful in theory, if you got a decent data plan or are always in Wi-Fi.
Personally I constantly get stuck with no service, run up my data, or a song just stops loading for no reason in a full service area or on wi-fi.

I agree. The glass looks way thicker in this shot....

EdM8A.jpg

then this shot....

iphone5-assembled-1.jpg
It also seems to be angled slightly, with the left slightly higher that the right in the bottom pic. So yeah, not assembled correctly. It would makes sense for it to be flush, as that's what the bottom seems to be...

Haven't synced any iOS stuff to iTunes in over a year and I feel great.

I use wifi sync to update my apps. I'll go on iTunes and download all the updates and then sync my iPhone and iPad. This saves me from having to update on each device.

One thing iOS 6 needs is auto updates.

noah111

Still Alive
I think those are the same except that the angle of lighting is different (and the top is a computer render).
Ok, here's a (less sexy) non-render, but it illustrates my point. They are either not on the same stage of completion or one is a different proto all together..

iPhone-5-Back-Cover-vs-iPhone-4.jpg
oem_apple_iphone_5_rear_housing_-_replacement_part_12_.jpg

vs

iphone5parts-4.jpg
real-i-phone-5-pic-1.jpg

Definitely don't think it's an angle or lighting trick. Different metal shade altogether. Very apparent when viewing the trim.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Regarding the boot video, can anybody read what it says after the iPhone 5 boots up?

I think it say "We're unable to complete you" at the top and that makes no sense at all.
It has an elipsis after it. There's ... that you can barely see. The message is cut off. But is complete below. It probably just says it can't connect to a network since it's not active yet or something. Just an error message.

From what I can make out, "This device something something something iPhone Developer Program. If you are a member of the program, please register your device something something."

i.e. it's a Development model. Except this time it's not in the hands of Gizmodo.

Phoenix

If it ends up looking something like this,
3d-render-iphone-5-metal-back-4.jpg

rather than something like this,
real-i-phone-5-pic-1.jpg

then I think i'll be alright. The light aluminum on black glass is really unappealing, though. Charcoal is, dare I say, sexy.

Always bet on black.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not happy with the form factor. Galaxy S3 is not too big. Bigger is better until it's awkward to fit in my pocket.

Not happy with the form factor. Galaxy S3 is not too big. Bigger is better until it's awkward to fit in my pocket.
I think they're more concerned with developers and their apps than they are with size. That and one handed use will always come first.

At least until they can get screens with double the current resolution, then they'll go up I bet for real.

I feel really sorry for everyone who's getting white. I guess they hate contrast or don't know any better.

Black is the best, always. White looks fantastic on the back, but then the front panel is just :/

Totally distracting.

I guess I don't understand this line of thinking but I prefer the white of my 4S/ipad3 over the black because it's easier to read things without getting distracted by the black bezel.

I do watch on my phone/ipad as well and have no problems - even when watching in the dark. It's like everyone thinks the white will glow in the dark when you watch something when in reality, you just focus on what's in front of you - like you would with anything really.

But, since I won't be upgrading until next year anyways, I'll just have to see how everything will play out with the new phone.

btkadams

I feel really sorry for everyone who's getting white. I guess they hate contrast or don't know any better.

i'm so confused. why are people judging the look of the phones based on blurry and/or poorly lit photos of leaked parts?

also, why are you judging others for choosing a colour? you're weird.

A tiny little bezel isn't going to alter perceived contrast. You're seeing more of what's behind the phone than the phone itself. I also think you're hilariously overstating the impact of bezel color on contrast just because you've read about it somewhere.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think they're more concerned with developers and their apps than they are with size. That and one handed use will always come first.

At least until they can get screens with double the current resolution, then they'll go up I bet for real.

Being beholden to established standards is a double edged sword: legacy apps and older phone models remain useful, sure, but Apple is less free to experiment than companies in the Android wild west, and the latter may result in faster evolution toward an ideal device now that the fundamentals are competent there.

Larger, LTE, better camera, better battery life (?) is enough to keep me in the Apple ecosystem for now, I guess, but 2-3 more years with that screen size doesn't seem very appealing at the moment.

Why do you feel sorry for those that are going for the White iPhone? lol

it takes away from the perceived contrast of the screen.

A tiny little bezel isn't going to alter perceived contrast. You're seeing more of what's behind the phone than the phone itself. I also think you're hilariously overstating the impact of bezel color on contrast just because you've read about it somewhere.

It's not a matter of reading about it, it's pure mathematics. The white on the screen will always have to outshine the white of the bezel.

i'm so confused. why are people judging the look of the phones based on blurry and/or poorly lit photos of leaked parts?

also, why are you judging others for choosing a colour? you're weird.

I am not judging anyone, I am merely pointing out that if in doubt, go with the black one.
if you really can't live without the white you won't be the saddest panda in the world ever, but the screen pops more with the black phone.
also, plenty of old white iPhones I've seen start to look really gross.

Larger, LTE, better camera, better battery life (?) is enough to keep me in the Apple ecosystem for now, I guess, but 2-3 more years with that screen size doesn't seem very appealing at the moment.

Don't get your phone on contract, man.

Also, there's a price for giving up that screen, and that is Apps and UX. It's worse than you think.
(except if you go Lumia, then it's almost a step up in UX but questionable on Apps)

I take it there's no indication of inductive charging with this case right?

It feels weird, for the first time in four years, I don't think I'll be picking it up at launch unless Apple really does something huge. The performance increase is almost meaningless now and my 4 still feels more than adequate and snappy. There's going to have to be something really killer to get me excited about upgrading and having to deal with all the new crap like AT&T charging for Facetime over 3G.

snack

it takes away from the perceived contrast of the screen.

It's not a matter of reading about it, it's pure mathematics. The white on the screen will always have to outshine the white of the bezel.

I am not judging anyone, I am merely pointing out that if in doubt, go with the black one.
if you really can't live without the white you won't be the saddest panda in the world ever, but the screen pops more with the black phone.
also, plenty of old white iPhones I've seen start to look really gross.

Also, there's a price for giving up that screen, and that is Apps and UX. It's worse than you think.
(except if you go Lumia, then it's almost a step up in UX but questionable on Apps)

I don't think the contrast problem is an issue at all. I've owned both black and white iPhone 4s, couldn't tell a difference...

Meh, not a fan of just an elongated screen. Dont care for a millimeter shaved off or a smaller connector. Unless there are some major (positive) surprises, this might be the year I switch to android, note 2. I've had an iphone since the first one, and they were magic. Especially the first one and the 4. I expected a more radical redesign for this one, but it looks like all we're really getting is black bars on old apps.

Being beholden to established standards is a double edged sword: legacy apps and older phone models remain useful, sure, but Apple is less free to experiment than companies in the Android wild west, and the latter may result in faster evolution toward an ideal device now that the fundamentals are competent there.

Larger, LTE, better camera, better battery life (?) is enough to keep me in the Apple ecosystem for now, I guess, but 2-3 more years with that screen size doesn't seem very appealing.
I feels you mang. I kind of wish I can get the new lumia hardware running iOS as a compromise, but it's not to be.

If apple is still rocking the same shtick 2 or so years from now when the next redesign will probably happen, I'll be really disappointed. I always need an iOS device (right now it's iphone/android tablet), but I might switch to android phone/ipad (used to have an ipad, yes I buy too much tech).

I'm confident they'll realize they can't remain stagnant for that long though, on that front. Especially if Samsung keeps going on their current trajectory. Like I said, all we need is the double resolution screens to become feasible, and there is little doubt in my mind they'll make the jump to bigger phones. Or at least the option of bigger phones under some sort of "pro" name.

Zeth

If for some reason I'm unhappy with the outcome of next week's event, I'd definitely be looking into the Note 2. But I'm pretty excited for this event. I'm heavily invested in iOS apps though, and I'm severely underwhelmed by the android app ecosystem.

If for some reason I'm unhappy with the outcome of next week's event, I'd definitely be looking into the Note 2. But I'm pretty excited for this event. I'm heavily invested in iOS apps though, and I'm severely underwhelmed by the android app ecosystem.

I always see people saying they're so heavily invested in iOS apps, but really how much have most people really spent on apps to have that as a reason to tie them down, especially at what it costs for the phone and the cell phone service? I would think even if you had to rebuy the same apps, or similar apps, the cost would be a drop in the bucket.

pretty much why I can't be without an iOS device. That and general polish/battery and all that stuff is better. But mostly because the ecosystem is terrible in comparison (to the competitors).

Black is the best, always. White looks fantastic on the back, but then the front panel is just :/

Totally distracting.
I find it the opposite. Black back looks great, and I'm used to the black front so I don't really have anything negative to say. I do like the white front on the iPhones, but that white back is ugly, IMO. :<

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I always see people saying they're so heavily invested in iOS apps, but really how much have most people really spent on apps to have that as a reason to tie them down, especially at what it costs for the phone and the cell phone service? I would think even if you had to rebuy the same apps, or similar apps, the cost would be a drop in the bucket.

Several hundred dollars, mainly in Navigon USA+EU (very useful since it doesn't require data connection to work), games (don't really care), hiking GPS, travel apps like Flighttrack Pro and translation/language apps, remote desktop apps. iTunes Match as well, and of course iCloud integration with my iPad and Macbook Air as part of the whole ecosystem deal.

I didn't mean keeping the iPhone 5 for 2-3 years. I buy a new phone every year. I meant that Apple is likely to stick to the same screen size for multiple releases, so that app developers don't have to deal with support for more than two different relevant resolutions/aspect ratios. Most people are on a two year upgrade cycle.

I didn't mean keeping the iPhone 5 for 2-3 years. I buy a new phone every year. I meant that Apple is likely to stick to the same screen size for multiple releases, so that app developers don't have to deal with support for more than two different relevant resolutions/aspect ratios. Most people are on a two year upgrade cycle.

If they are going to introduce an iPad mini this year, shit's gonna be off the hook anyway.

After 2 years, most 3:2 iPhones will be unsupported anyway and they'll probably go bigger. (i.e. once the 6th gen iPhone is 2 years old)

Zeth

It's true that it wouldn't cost a fortune to replace the absolute must-have stuff, but I really have spent hundreds of dollars. Tons of games, many of which are exclusive, which I'd rather have than not have. It's that damn iOS Gaming OT.

Several hundred dollars, mainly in Navigon USA+EU (very useful since it doesn't require data connection to work), games (don't really care), hiking GPS, travel apps like Flighttrack Pro and translation/language apps, remote desktop apps. iTunes Match as well, and of course iCloud integration with my iPad and Macbook Air as part of the whole ecosystem deal.

they definitely get a free pass now I think. I don't think people care just yet to the point where they are willing to ditch their iphones for bigger screened android phones (lol windows phone). But yeah, next upgrade cycle is a different story. 2 years is a mighty long time in the tech world.

Still bet your souls (not mine) they double the resolution and go bigger screened for iphone 6.

He said apps specifically though. Most apps are $1 to $2. Even if you have 50 to 100 apps, you're not out much. Navigon is certainly an exception, and heck I even bought that myself, but I hardly use it with better alternatives out there that are free and I would assume if you're jumping off of iOS, you'll have free offline map options for Android with Google or Windows Phone 8 with Nokia. Doesn't Google or Amazon have their own matching scheme? You'd just sign up for that instead of Apple.

I can understand if you don't find the eco system or app selection that meets your needs, but I'd hardly say being invested with apps should be a reason to stick to a phone OS given how cheap the apps are for the most part. I have probably 200+ apps and games on my phone, but I'm sure I've spent no more than $100 at best. That's like a month and a half of service, or not even two console games.

noah111

Still Alive
This this this. Not to mention the back is really ugly. White glass with aluminum just don't look nice together.

That said, I don't feel sorry for anyone. ;b

Biggest problem with this is that it'll be a long while till they change the screen size again (if ever). This would've been the perfect time for them to transition into a more drastic screen size increase, but they opted for the more cautious route. Ah well, I suppose they don't see a 3:2 4"-4.3" fitting in with the iPad mini or something.

I have a theory. Bare with me, since I am only half joking, but here goes.

So the iPhone 5 increases the height, right, so app developers only have to make the apps fit a longer screen.

The iPhone 5S won't do fuck all.

So once the iPhone 6 rolls around, and all apps have already been made taller, maybe they will add one more column of icons and make the screen wider, app developers only having to widen their apps.

We'd then end up with a resolution of 1136x760 and we'd be back at the 3:2 ratio by 2014.

... no? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom