• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok but i disagree and so do the sale figures.
Apple-Device-Sales-ipod-iphone.png

The iPad is growing faster than anything Apple has ever released.

Well I haven't seen it yet myself. The new iPad wasn't major enough to be called the iPad 3
It was the first large screen retina display device that's affordable for consumers that I'm aware of. How is that not major?

Vyer

Ok but i disagree and so do the sale figures.

That's fairly irrelevant in this context. They could be introducing some new product line, for example, and it would still be a "major product reveal" that says a lot about how "Apple is moving forward" with Cook without a single sale.

One thing I don't understand is splitting up the aspect ratios between devices.

Since the new iPhone is 16:9, would it not stand to reason the other devices such as iPad mini and the new iPad 4 sometime next year would also be 16:9? It just wouldn't make sense any other way, unless there's something I'm not considering. Such as iPhone 6 being a larger iPhone 4. So every app developer will have to make two versions of their apps both with different aspect ratios?

Okay my head hurts.

Since the new iPhone is 16:9, would it not stand to reason the other devices such as iPad mini and the new iPad 4 sometime next year would also be 16:9? It just wouldn't make sense any other way, unless there's something I'm not considering. Such as iPhone 6 being a larger iPhone 4. So every app developer will have to make two versions of their apps both with different aspect ratios?

Okay my head hurts.
The iPhone and iPad already had different aspect ratios.

golem

Okay my head hurts.

Im guessing it will happen eventually

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
iPad mini is coming out with the same aspect ratio, if they were changing it now would be the time. iPad ratio isn't going anywhere.

Once the iPhone switches ratios it isn't going back for a long time, if ever.

iPad mini is coming out with the same aspect ratio, if they were changing it now would be the time. iPad ratio isn't going anywhere.

Once the iPhone switches ratios it isn't going back for a long time, if ever.

iPhone 4 and 4S will still be sold concurrently with the next iPhone.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
iPhone 4 and 4S will still be sold concurrently with the next iPhone.
And? I am saying they won't switch it back to 3:2 or switch it to match iPad at 4:3. Not that there won't be multiple aspect ratios of iPhone for the next few years.

Tobor

Okay my head hurts.

The aspect ratio needs to fit the device. 16x9 is fine for a phone meant to be held with one hand, but it sucks for reading on a large tablet.

bionic77

If you think the battery life on the 4S is bad I think you would be pretty disappointed at the battery life of most non-Apple smartphones.
battery life has improved quite a bit in Android phones. I am pretty sure a few of them surpass the 4S, which has ok battery life but it seems like crap coming from the 4.

Chittagong

Gold Member
so what does Apple need to show beyond what has been leaked already (new shell, bigger screen) so that the market is not let down?

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

Those would get them pretty nicely on par with the competition.

so what does Apple need to show beyond what has been leaked already (new shell, bigger screen) so that the market is not let down?

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

Bolded ones I care about.

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

NFC isn't looking likely.

OLED isn't in Apple's game plan right now. They can't get the same pixel density, and colours are typically oversaturated and blown out.

Wireless charging? Probably not, but there's lots of accessories that do that.

Better camera? That goes without saying. How much better? Dunno.

LTE? Probably. Apple was worried about battery life, and they've got the chipsets down to a suitable power draw now.

Mario007

Without trying to sound like a troll I wonder if Apple will try to pass NFC, LTE and a 4 inch screen as something revolutionary that they've invented. It kinda sounds like an Apple thing to do, to be honest.

Also anyone have any more info on the story that Samsung will sue Apple if they release an LTE phone to the market (since Samsung has like 12% of all LTE patents in the world)?

Tobor

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

Lol. Nothing they could ever announce will please the market.

The stock will drop, pundits will say Apple has lost it's touch, and they will sell every single iPhone they can manufacture.

The stock will then go back up, the pundits will pretend they never said anything, and the quarterly results will be enormous.

rinse82

Without trying to sound like a troll I wonder if Apple will try to pass NFC, LTE and a 4 inch screen as something revolutionary that they've invented. It kinda sounds like an Apple thing to do, to be honest.

No...I have a feeling those features will be secondary to what they have to present.

Don't think the public is that gullible to believe those are Apple creations...

bionic77

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

NFC and LTE are the only one of those that matters. And LTE seems to be only worth a damn on Verizon and might kill the battery. No one is going to shit their pants over wireless charging and a 15 MP camera. And does anyone care about OLED?

What Apple needs to show us is something different that blows us away. Whether that is possible anymore I don't know. Maybe smartphones have matured to the point where it is just small updates from everyone from here on out.

NFC with retailer support would be huge though. Could really change the way people shop assuming some good apps support it and assuming it is supported by enough retailers.

bionic77

^^^^^^^
Pundits loved the 3G, 3GS and 4
Yeah I agree with this. Apple kept blowing me away with every iPhone until the 4S (which has been a huge disappointment to me after the 4, which really set the bar for everyone).

It is going to be hard to outdo the 4 (for its time).

I need an upgrade anyways so I will ok if they just increase the battery life again.

NFC with retailer support would be huge though. Could really change the way people shop assuming some good apps support it and assuming it is supported by enough retailers.

They've got that Passbook thing, or whatever it's called. It could easily be hooked into NFC if they put the hardware in.

But am I the only one not sold on NFC payments? I don't have the best charging habits, so I've had my phone run out of batteries on many occasions over the years. I'd hate to have my payment options tied to my phone battery.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

The market will be pleased with anything Apple puts out in regards to the iPhone, they're easily impressed with Apple products because of the strong brand name. All of that stuff would put them far ahead of their competition but I don't see any of that happening outside of LTE and possibly NFC.

I feel like Apple is playing catch up when it comes to the cameras, but right now they seem competitive. I think an increase in resolution in the front camera would be welcomed.

The innovational focus this year is probably on something more software related.

Mario007

No...I have a feeling those features will be secondary to what they have to present.

Don't think the public is that gullible to believe those are Apple creations...

I dunno, NFC with retail support (of course only in the US) and you'll suddenly have people believing that Apple invented it. Like they believe apple invented a smartphone etc.

Though i can't think of any other additions that Apple can do. I mean look at the new iPad, iPad 2 was pretty much all you really need in a tablet and so all they did was change the resolution and it was hailed as the biggest thing in the industry ever.

bionic77

They've got that Passbook thing, or whatever it's called. It could easily be hooked into NFC if they put the hardware in.

But am I the only one not sold on NFC payments? I don't have the best charging habits, so I've had my phone run out of batteries on many occasions over the years. I'd hate to have my payment options tied to my phone battery.
I wouldn't throw out my credit cards or money yet either, but if it is done right and supported I could see this becoming the preferred way of payment in a very short amount of time.

Seriously.

If the screen is only going to be bigger in terms of length but not width I am seriously going to debate on whether to ditch the iPhone and get a Galaxy S3 (or maybe even S4, who knows) or just take it as is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seriously.

If the screen is only going to be bigger in terms of length but not width I am seriously going to debate on whether to ditch the iPhone and get a Galaxy S3 (or maybe even S4, who knows) or just take it as is.
Well that seems the case.

It truly is disappointing though, you'd think Apple would learn. They finally change the dimensions of the screen and it's just a bit taller? Huge wasted opportunity. If they could have gone for a larger screen in both dimensions they could have set up a new standard for iPhones to come and then just maximize the resolution each year on from there.

Mario007

Seriously.

There's also Xperia T, releasing this month, or RAZR HD or Optimus G which all seem to be as good or better than S3.

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

I'm pretty certain at this point that it'll be some sort of exclusive software feature a la last year's launch of Siri. Transit directions, maybe.

bionic77

Seriously.

Yeah if it is just the 4S with a bigger screen and turn by turn it will be pretty disappointing.

I am still sticking with the iPhone for now though because of app support and I feel it is still a smoother experience, but Android phones have definitely caught up and I could easily see myself switching too next year if Apple doesn't continue to kill it.

Well that seems the case.

It truly is disappointing though, you'd think Apple would learn. They finally change the dimensions of the screen and it's just a bit taller? Huge wasted opportunity. If they could have gone for a larger screen in both dimensions they could have set up a new standard for iPhones to come and then just maximize the resolution each year on from there.

The thing is Apple doesn't want to release two models of iPhone, and making the screen wider goes against their "reach any spot on the screen with one thumb" ideology.

(To the inevitable responder with big hands: Yes, we know you have big hands.)

Mario007

Yeah if it is just the 4S with a bigger screen and turn by turn it will be pretty disappointing.

I am still sticking with the iPhone for now though because of app support and I feel it is still a smoother experience, but Android phones have definitely caught up and I could easily see myself switching too next year if Apple doesn't continue to kill it.

I think once phones with Jellybean start launching then Apple is going to have it pretty tough, because from what I've seen the lag and stuttering on Jellybean, which was a huge drawback of Android in the past, is virtually gone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The thing is Apple doesn't want to release two models of iPhone, and making the screen wider goes against their "reach any spot on the screen with one thumb" ideology.

(To the inevitable responder with big hands: Yes, we know you have big hands.)
The extra work my thumb has to do to reach a vertically distant spot and a horizontally distant one is about equal. Actually, it takes more work adjusting your hand to reach something very high on the screen. Philosophy is kind of invalid IMO, and really holding them back if that's the case.

Tobor

The extra work my thumb has to do to reach a vertically distant spot and a horizontally distant one is about equal. Actually, it takes more work adjusting your hand to reach something very high on the screen. Philosophy is kind of invalid IMO, and really holding them back if that's the case.

It's not just about tapping the screen, it's also the feel in your hand. The current iPhone width feels great when holding it to your ear, while some of the larger phones I've tried do not.

These are handheld computers, of course, but they are still phones for a large segment of users.

x-Lundz-x

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

If it doesn't have 4G LTE I would consider this a massive failure.

bionic77

I think once phones with Jellybean start launching then Apple is going to have it pretty tough, because from what I've seen the lag and stuttering on Jellybean, which was a huge drawback of Android in the past, is virtually gone.
I wouldn't go that far. There are still advantages to iOS even if it stays static. There just isn't that gigantic gap that existed between the 4 and everything else. Everything is getting closer to a level playing field and it is more preference at this point (assuming Apple doesn't knock us all the fuck out next week with 15 new surprises and 20 hour battery life).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's not just about tapping the screen, it's also the feel in your hand. The current iPhone width feels great when holding it to your ear, while some of the larger phones I've tried do not.

These are handheld computers, of course, but they are still phones for a large segment of users.
Fair point. When I think about it, I do prefer narrower phones when it comes to holding it up to my ear but it doesn't really bother me at all if they're wider, especially if it comes with extra screen real estate which does matter to me. I guess if it's just if that trade off is valuable to you or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom