• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
It's not just about tapping the screen, it's also the feel in your hand. The current iPhone width feels great when holding it to your ear, while some of the larger phones I've tried do not.
If anything, It feels too narrow for my hands when using it as a phone, like how I feel when I use one of those tiny notebook mice.
Like someone said, 4.5" 1280x720 would have the exact PPI, and all current apps could run on the 4 inch portion of the screen until they got updated. I really hope they go with this next time. After that I don't see any need or reason for an even bigger screen until we have foldable LCD screens so you can carry an ipad in your phone.

I honestly don't want a bigger camera. My file sizes are already huge enough and my videos and pictures look pretty damn good on my 1080p 42" TV as is. How much bigger does the average person need?

Speaking of media file sizes: I don't even know why sending videos or photos is an option with iMessages. It takes forever to send a video and way longer than it should to send a picture. It badly needs a compress option like WhatsApp does with media. I barely even use imessages because of this. I don't need to send a 10 second 150mb video of my dog chasing his tail to someone in full 1080P HD, thanks.

I know iMessages is new-ish but it's pretty bare and useless to me as is. Let's not even get into messages just randomly disappearing too...

iOS needs some changes. I have a few of these pet peeves with Apple that really annoy the shit out of me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I honestly don't want a bigger camera. My file sizes are already huge enough and my videos and pictures look pretty damn good on my 1080p 42" TV as is. How much bigger does the average person need?

Speaking of media file sizes: I don't even know why sending videos or photos is an option with iMessages. It takes forever to send a video and way longer than it should to send a picture. It badly needs a compress option like WhatsApp does with media. I barely even use imessages because of this. I don't need to send a video of my dog chasing his tail to someone in full 1080P HD, thanks.

I know iMessages is new-ish but it's pretty bare and useless to me as is. Let's not even get into messages just randomly disappearing too...

iOS needs some changes. I have a few of these pet peeves with Apple that really annoy the shit out of me.
Agreed, iOS needs a proper overhaul. They don't need to change it entirely but they do need to rework it considerably.

Also cosigning iMessage being worthless right now. Some times messages don't send, they take forever to send even if on 3G/WiFi. Grossly inconsistent service and I'm surprised Apple hasn't invested more into it. I really thought the iMessage announcement was huge but they went nowhere with it. Hopefully there's some sort of update next week.

Speaking of media file sizes: I don't even know why sending videos or photos is an option with iMessages. It takes forever to send a video and way longer than it should to send a picture. It badly needs a compress option like WhatsApp does with media. I barely even use imessages because of this. I don't need to send a 10 second 150mb video of my dog chasing his tail to someone in full 1080P HD, thanks.

I want a much MUCH bigger better camera. Just not the megapixils.

Increase the sensor size and aperture, as well as get better filtering and stabilization. Better backlight illumination. 8mp is perfect I think for a phone, lets make the camera higher quality now.

Never had an imessage disappear, and yes unlimited texting isnt a big deal. THough syncing with imessage on my mac is. It's dope.

Bigfoot

I see lots of bigger screen discussions again. Does anyone think maybe Apple did some market research and found that maybe people don't want a bigger (wider) screen? I know the Android trend is to keep making the screen bigger, and a vocal part of GAF goes on and on about larger screens, but it seems plenty of people are also happy with the current size.

Before Smart phones, the trend was towards smaller phones, but now that has changed to comical sizes in some cases. I can't say for sure what the average consumer wants in terms of screen size, but I guess the success of the iPhone 5 will determine that in some way.

It's not just about tapping the screen, it's also the feel in your hand. The current iPhone width feels great when holding it to your ear, while some of the larger phones I've tried do not.

These are handheld computers, of course, but they are still phones for a large segment of users.

When 90% of the things I do on my phone are not call related I encourage Apple to make the screen bigger in both length and width.

And I do not know where you live but when I walk down the streets I see the majority of people playing with their smartphone instead of calling.

If anything, It feels too narrow for my hands when using it as a phone, like how I feel when I use one of those tiny notebook mice.
Like someone said, 4.5" 1280x720 would have the exact PPI, and all current apps could run on the 4 inch portion of the screen until they got updated. I really hope they go with this next time. After that I don't see any need or reason for an even bigger screen until we have foldable LCD screens so you can carry an ipad in your phone.

They'd never go 4.5" without it being a separate model. They'd alienate a bunch of people. Not everyone wants a big phone.

My girlfriend, for example, isn't an iPhone fan at all, but she HATES phones that are any larger than it. That's her #1 issue in phone shopping right now, all the huge "bro phones", and there's a lots of people who share that sentiment.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I see lots of bigger screen discussions again. Does anyone think maybe Apple did some market research and found that maybe people don't want a bigger (wider) screen? I know the Android trend is to keep making the screen bigger, and a vocal part of GAF goes on and on about larger screens, but it seems plenty of people are also happy with the current size.

Before Smart phones, the trend was towards smaller phones, but now that has changed to comical sizes in some cases. I can't say for sure what the average consumer wants in terms of screen size, but I guess the success of the iPhone 5 will determine that in some way.
The appeal of a bigger, prettier screen is invaluable as a marketing tool. Most people's first impressions, from my experience, of Android phones is "Wow! What a nice big screen!" I have no doubt in my mind that it's a big selling point for non-Apple phones.

Perhaps though, for the female market they like to keep a smaller form factor and thus a smaller screen. I can't back that up though, but I don't see as many ladies walking around with some of the larger Androids on the market.

EDIT: corroborated by lunarworks!

kehs

Banned

The trend for smaller phones was because all phones did were make calls and send text messages.

The trend for bigger screens is because most of them (present company excluded) are portable computers. Bigger screens facilitate an improve their usage.

Also a bigger screen doesn't always equal a bulkier phone. The Galaxy Nexus is more comfortable in pocket than my old Nexus 1(roughtly iphone 1-3 sized), and my "smaller" Nexus S.

Agreed, iOS needs a proper overhaul. They don't need to change it entirely but they do need to rework it considerably.

Also cosigning iMessage being worthless right now. Some times messages don't send, they take forever to send even if on 3G/WiFi. Grossly inconsistent service and I'm surprised Apple hasn't invested more into it. I really thought the iMessage announcement was huge but they went nowhere with it. Hopefully there's some sort of update next week.
Yeah, seriously whatsapp blows iMessages away in functionality and speed. The network can go down at times but it's extremely rare for me. I guess even if iMessages did step up it's game I would probably still find myself using WhatsApp because of its cross-platform messaging.
I want a much MUCH bigger better camera. Just not the megapixils.

Increase the sensor size and aperture, as well as get better filtering and stabilization. Better backlight illumination. 8mp is perfect I think for a phone, lets make the camera higher quality now.

Never had an imessage disappear, and yes unlimited texting isnt a big deal. THough syncing with imessage on my mac is. It's dope.
This I'm all for. Wouldn't object to any of that as long as the mp stay about the same. The camera app could use a bit of an overhaul as well. Dont go turning it all pissy-filtery instagram on me or anything but give me a timer option and maybe burst mode or something.

Did they ever remedy that shaking/shimmer-like problem with taking videos? I've only taken some low light videos lately and haven't noticed it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was quite noticeable and I don't have hawk eyes to notice most shit like some of those AVForum folk.

so what does Apple need to show beyond what has been leaked already (new shell, bigger screen) so that the market is not let down?

- NFC?
- OLED screen?
- Wireless Charging?
- Better camera?
- LTE?

Those would get them pretty nicely on par with the competition.

nfc probably not going to happen, apple wants to bluetooth 4.0 spec?
Oled is not going to happen, very few manufactures for this part
wireless charging most likely not going to happen especially if the backing is metal
better camera, depends on what sony's new sensor is, long shot is lecia designed lens (LOL)
LTE is a given.

Yeah, seriously whatsapp blows iMessages away in functionality and speed. The network can go down at times but it's extremely rare for me. I guess even if iMessages did step up it's game I would probably still find myself using WhatsApp because of its cross-platform messaging.

This I'm all for. Wouldn't object to any of that as long as the mp stay about the same. The camera app could use a bit of an overhaul as well. Dont go turning it all pissy-filtery instagram on me or anything but give me a timer option and maybe burst mode or something.

Did they ever remedy that shaking/shimmer-like problem with taking videos? I've only taken some low light videos lately and haven't noticed it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was quite noticeable and I don't have hawk eyes to notice most shit like some of those AVForum folk.

Its still there. Just not as bad. While we are on it I want better faster focus as well as a MUCH faster shutter speed. To take photos at high speed so I can not everything blurry because it wasnt standing still.

We might actually get new iPods next week afterall.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/07/apple...d-touches-new-ipod-nano-tweaked-ipod-shuffle/

Earlier this week, we reported that the iPhone 5 (codenamed N42) will share the stage with a string of new iPod announcements on September 12th. At that time, we believed Apple would introduce two-to-three iPod refreshes next week, and now, we’ve received some more information on the matter. Based on the information we’ve received, Apple will be introducing a tweaked iPod shuffle, new iPod nano, and new iPod touches.

Looks like the October event might just be a more chill event with just iPad exclusive announcements (maybe with new iMacs and 13in retina MBPs thrown in there)

Bigfoot

Don't think the iPad Mini price topic has been revisited since the Amazon announcement yesterday. I know many were saying there is no way Apple would price the Mini lower than $299. Do some still think that?

For reference, the Amazon Fire HD 8.9" is priced at $299, with 16 Gb storage and a Retina display. The CPU is said to be slightly better than that of an iPad 2.

Can Apple still price the Mini at $299 with a 1" smaller screen that isn't even Retina, likely with the same storage and CPU (iPad 2 equivalent).

I still think the Mini will be $249 or maybe even $199 now, unless Apple will surprise everyone and put it out with a Retina display.

Mario007

I wouldn't go that far. There are still advantages to iOS even if it stays static. There just isn't that gigantic gap that existed between the 4 and everything else. Everything is getting closer to a level playing field and it is more preference at this point (assuming Apple doesn't knock us all the fuck out next week with 15 new surprises and 20 hour battery life).

Not to derail this thread into fanboy wars, but honestly there really isn't anything in iOS 6 that Android 4.1 isn't doing similarly or better. After Google I/O many commentators on websites such as theverge or techradar actually came out and said that Android has at the very least caught up if not surpassed iOS. Now we don't know what software exclusive features the next iPhone will launch with, so that might change.

Don't think the iPad Mini price topic has been revisited since the Amazon announcement yesterday. I know many were saying there is no way Apple would price the Mini lower than $299. Do some still think that?

For reference, the Amazon Fire HD 8.9" is priced at $299, with 16 Gb storage and a Retina display. The CPU is said to be slightly better than that of an iPad 2.

Can Apple still price the Mini at $299 with a 1" smaller screen that isn't even Retina, likely with the same storage and CPU (iPad 2 equivalent).

I still think the Mini will be $249 or maybe even $199 now, unless Apple will surprise everyone and put it out with a Retina display.

Hard to know at this point. It will be interesting to see if Apple leads off with a 8GB or 16GB model at the low end. A 8GB at $199 has to make sense although I'd really rather see a 16GB at $249 be the low end model with a 32GB at $299 or $349 at the high end.

I personally think they are safe with a $249 price point at 16GB.

Now, if Apple puts a big 3GS screen on this thing that isn't IPS, then they are screwed. I know it will be iPad 2 res with 3GS PPI but they have to have IPS on it or it's going to get raked over the coals in the press at that price if the screen isn't high quality. I would love to see the lamination technique of the iPhone 4/4S being used with IPS. Would make the 163 PPI a little easier to swallow.

coldfoot

Banned
Yes. It's an apple with a sleek aluminum chassis, and glass display, and more importantly, you don't have to use phone apps in your tablet. The app advantage of Apple in the tablet space way more than their phone app advantage.

Kunan

Not sure if I want a longer screen...

Waiting to see if an iPad Mini will be what I want instead of the 3.

numble

It's not an iPad event, but I really want them to show off Bastion. Maybe they won't since its a port, but it's the best thing I've played on iPad so far.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I know many were saying there is no way Apple would price the Mini lower than $299. Do some still think that?
I can't speak for everyone but most of us said the entry level mini wont be MORE than $299. I think people are open to it being less.

Also I think the 8.9 inch fire is aimed more at competing with the full size iPad.

My predictions (mostly for myself, so I can come back and laugh at them after the event):

-New iPhone (duh) and iPods revealed. The iPhone is the same one that has been leaked already for the most part, but with a few cosmetic changes.
-The "5" in the invitation probably refers to something else, rather than the phone's name (ex. iPhone's 5th anniversary).
-Surprising iPod-centric announcement (aside from new iPod reveal), might also affect the iPhone and iPad.
-New awesome accessory introduced that takes advantage of the new connector, on par with Smartcover announcement.
-New maps app features shown off, probably exclusive to new iPhone
-The big one: a new feature that no one saw coming, probably uses the room provided by the longer screen. I doubt it'll be music related though.

Oh and:

-No new iPads, Mac, or Apple TV product announcements.

Now to wait and see how wrong I was :p

Can't fucking wait. Gave my iPhone 4 away to a family member and have been using a shitty backup Android Acer phone for a month. I feel like throwing it against the wall every 5 minutes. This will be the 1st time I buy an iPhone new at launch, event can't come soon enough. I'm sure Apple has a couple big things up their sleeves in regards to exclusive software/hardware features.

EDIT: This seems to be the only Apple thread on the internet not over-run by frothing at the mouth, mindless, hateful anti-Apple trolls. How is this possible?

Xrenity

There must be something more to the longer screen.

Will probably market movies on iTunes a lot and hopefully there'll be something else too.

kehs

Banned
There must be something more to the longer screen.

Will probably market movies on iTunes a lot and hopefully there'll be something else too.

It's probably for permanent ads.

Can't fucking wait. Gave my iPhone 4 away to a family member and have been using a shitty backup Android Acer phone for a month. I feel like throwing it against the wall every 5 minutes. This will be the 1st time I buy an iPhone new at launch, event can't come soon enough. I'm sure Apple has a couple big things up their sleeves in regards to exclusive software/hardware features.

EDIT: This seems to be the only Apple thread on the internet not over-run by frothing at the mouth, mindless, hateful anti-Apple trolls. How is this possible?

Probably because you've only posted twice so far.

Nicktendo86

Its because this is a thread about an apple event while others are, for the most part, Apple vs android threads in which you get frothing at the mouth trolls from BOTH sides. Personally, as an android user who has an iPod 4th gen, I hope apple pull out something exciting. I love technology, period.

Shearie

I love that Apple is just increasing the height of the phone with a 16:9 display.

I like 16:9 since I watch a lot of videos on my iPhone and most of them will be bigger and in full screen with the new phone; plus, the extra vertical space will be nice for showing more info in apps and having the top space when typing in portrait orientation not be as cramped.

I like that they're not changing the width because I don't like how the wider Android phones feel in the hand. iPhone's width always felt perfect to me.

The only compromise might be one-handed use since that's primarily how I use my current iPhone. Since I rest the bottom of the iPhone on my pinky when using it one-handed, the slightly smaller bezel should help a little with reaching the top parts of the screen with my thumb.

Its because this is a thread about an apple event while others are, for the most part, Apple vs android threads in which you get frothing at the mouth trolls from BOTH sides. Personally, as an android user who has an iPod 4th gen, I hope apple pull out something exciting. I love technology, period.

BS, about this 'both sides' argument. I visit the Verge all the time, and in any Android related article there's maybe 1 post every 10-20 that's trolling. In any Apple thread, the comments section is literally overrun with the most hateful, mocking, vitriolic attacks against Apple- you can literally have to keep scrolling to find a positive or intelligent, or relevant comment. Every single article, no matter what the topic is, dissolves into LOL APPLE CHINESE SLAVE LABOR OVERPRICED CRAP ISHEEP garbage. So I'm sorry, the situation isn't equivalent at all. Apple users don't really seem interested enough to spend so much time and energy trolling other products, yet those who claim they couldn't care less about Apple are always there obsessively taking the energy trashing the company and it's products every opportunity they get. This is a trend, and why for someone who is interested in Apple and their products it's frustrating in that there's hardly anywhere where reasonable, intelligent discussion about the products and the company can be had. Go view the article announcing Apple event on any tech site- you'll see what I mean.

I still think they will start at $299.

iPad Mini 16: $299
iPad Mini 16 3G: $349
iPad Mini 32: $399
iPad Mini 32 3G: $449

I think that's being generous too. Not sure about the 3G versions. I think they need to include a Retina Display.

Well I haven't seen it yet myself. The new iPad wasn't major enough to be called the iPad 3

Yeah, 4X the pixels, best and highest resolution tablet screen on the planet, 4G/LTE, much better camera, much better GPU, etc doesn't quality as 'major'? It's more major than any other tablet upgrade I've seen from any other company.

What exactly do you imagine the next iPad would have to qualify as 'major'? Purple and circular? More ports? Holograms? From here on out it will mostly be incremental improvements. The basic look and form factor is pretty much set in stone.

Xater

I think that's being generous too. Not sure about the 3G versions. I think they need to include a Retina Display.

I still hope for 16GB for 249. Just so they match the Nexus 7.

been struggling for days, I dont see a 5 in the shadow of the 1 and 2. What is wrong with me....

Let me adjust it a bit...
Lv8DS.jpg

Husker86

Yeah, 4X the pixels, best and highest resolution tablet screen on the planet, 4G/LTE, much better camera, much better GPU, etc doesn't quality as 'major'? It's more major than any other tablet upgrade I've seen from any other company.

What exactly do you imagine the next iPad would have to qualify as 'major'? Purple and circular? More ports? Holograms? From here on out it will mostly be incremental improvements. The basic look and form factor is pretty much set in stone.

The much better GPU was just to run the new Retina display. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't performance sometimes slightly worse than the iPad 2 in some GPU intensive apps?

I never had an iPad 2 and now have an iPad 3 and can't complain about performance, but I don't think it got any more powerful. But damn...that screen.

been struggling for days, I dont see a 5 in the shadow of the 1 and 2. What is wrong with me....

wowzors

Aguirre

they really gotta bring something special out of their ass to drag the happy owners of galaxy s iii's back to an iphone.

because i know for sure i am never going back to apple.

Next iPad is likely to have a speed boost (which we haven't really had since the iPad 2 - everything improved CPU/GPU-wise with the iPad 3 was just to keep up with its higher-res display), printed-directly-onto-the-glass display, go back to iPad 2-level (or better) battery life/charge time, and almost certainly a shift in its industrial design. It should be an awesome upgrade.

they really gotta bring something special out of their ass to drag the happy owners of galaxy s iii's back to an iphone.

i'm pretty sure people who bought a new phone within the last three or four months aren't the customers that apple is pursuing here

I think start at 199 for 8 gigs like the ipod touch.

Kermy

Meh. I was like you when I first got my galaxy 3 (luckily off contract) , but I'm going to get the iPhone 5. Think I'm too invested in the Apple eco system to really stick with android.

noah111

Still Alive
4.5" would be pushing it, I think, esp. for 3:2. 4.3 is a bit more realistic, but even then the width increase would be much more substantial than a 3:2 4". Remember this 'leak' pre-4S reveal?;

EwTI2.gif

For reference, current iPhone is 2.31" in width. That's not a huge leap. I did this mockup a while back of what a 4.3" would look like;

7e4TI.png

Note the width, tow imagine what a 4.5" shell would be like.. It'd probably never happen, too big of a change.

coldfoot

Banned
4.5" would be pushing it, I think, esp. for 3:2. 4.3 is a bit more realistic, but even then the width increase would be much more substantial than a 3:2 4".
The new iPhone 5 form factor is 16:9 if you haven't noticed. 3:2 is the past. Extending that to 4.5" 1280x720 should not be too wide.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
4.5" would be pushing it, I think, esp. for 3:2. 4.3 is a bit more realistic, but even then the width increase would be much more substantial than a 3:2 4". Remember this 'leak' pre-4S reveal?;

EwTI2.gif

For reference, current iPhone is 2.31" in width. That's not a huge leap. I did this mockup a while back of what a 4.3" would look like;

7e4TI.png

Note the width, tow imagine what a 4.5" shell would be like.. It'd probably never happen, too big of a change.

But this is an assumption of a 3:2 aspect ratio. A 16:9 screen at 4.5" diagonal is significantly less "wide" (0.3") than a 3:2 screen at 4.5"

You did this mockup before the change in aspect ratio was confirmed [or in a rage after I don't remember ;) ]. I am not saying this means they will do it. I just don't think the size constraints will be as bad.

There is a real benefit to developers by never changing ppi in the change to 16:9 and an increase in real screen estate after that. Apple never has to change its human interface guidelines. That means developers can reuse assets and always aim for the same hitbox sizes etc. across to distinct transitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom