• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
I still don't get what was so wrong with widening the screen to 720 pixels and displaying existing, non-updated apps with 40px black bars on the sides...Would not be any smaller than the 3.5" screen, so usability would not be affected.

Zeth

I have a theory. Bare with me, since I am only half joking, but here goes.

So the iPhone 5 increases the height, right, so app developers only have to make the apps fit a longer screen.

The iPhone 5S won't do fuck all.

So once the iPhone 6 rolls around, and all apps have already been made taller, maybe they will add one more column of icons and make the screen wider, app developers only having to widen their apps.

We'd then end up with a resolution of 1136x760 and we'd be back at the 3:2 ratio by 2014.

... no? :)

Bravo.

Why not? :lol

I still don't get what was so wrong with widening the screen to 720 pixels and displaying existing, non-updated apps with 40px black bars on the sides...Would not be any smaller than the 3.5" screen, so usability would not be affected.
There is nothing wrong with that technically. Apple just doesn't want to give up the one-hand usage capability. They will talk the shit out of this next week to justify the new design. I also feel like they're going to have some good demos to show off why they feel 16:9 is better now.

mf.luder

I really hope they have some kickass features close to the chest. A friend asked me the other day what is new about it. All I could really say was the screen.

Keep in mind, like consumer features. Nano-sim is hardly a feature that benefits me, nor does a new dock connector.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is that if they go 16x9 it is here to stay, when the phone finally does get bigger in a real way it will go to 1280x720 and keep the same nominal ppi, or go 1920x1080 and increase the ppi

They won't go backwards on ppi, and this way they can stagger the impact on developers. Change ratio this cycle change size next cycle. 5 and 5s will be iPhoneTall

EDIT: and what Liu Kang said

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not a chance in hell. Even on a 5" (FIVE INCH!) screen, doubling the pixel resolution would be absurd. We're talking 500-600 PPI. Not gonna happen.
Yep. They will never have to double resolution again, that would make the phrase diminishing returns seem generous.

Phoenix

I take it there's no indication of inductive charging with this case right?

No evidence of it, but with that big metal back, it is keenly designed to have it. I have a hard time believing that they went with a metal back with glass antenna windows for no reason at all.

Not a chance in hell. Even on a 5" (FIVE INCH!) screen, doubling the pixel resolution would be absurd. We're talking 500-600 PPI. Not gonna happen.

Yep. They will never have to double resolution again, that would make the phrase diminishing returns seem generous.
apple don't give a fuck son

or they'll just do what I said before and create a bigger phone under a "pro" name, for people who want that and are willing to deal with the app scaling and that.

kehs

Banned
No evidence of it, but with that big metal back, it is keenly designed to have it. I have a hard time believing that they went with a metal back with glass antenna windows for no reason at all.

That nfc looking grooves could be an inductive coil.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
To add to my conspiracy theory that apple could easily increases phone size after the 5 and 5s and that the 16x9 change is just the jumping off point.

A 4.5 inch 1280x720 has a ppi of (dun dun dunnnn) 326. Exactly the same as the 4 and 4s.

Blackhead

Redarse

Why Retina Isn’t Enough [Feature] | Cult of Mac
Editor’s Note: Throughout this article, we will be talking about two types of Retina displays: Apple’s Retina displays, and a theoretical Retina display that would have much greater pixel density. For the purposes of this article, the latter type of display will be called True Retina displays: all other mentions of Retina displays can be taken to refer to Apple’s technology.

Apple uses Retina as a marketing term, and it’s a great one. But it also implies that there’s nowhere else to go from here when it comes to resolution, which simply isn’t true. Ten years from now, we will all own Macs, iPhones and iPads with screens so crisp, looking at the iPhone 4S or new MacBook Pro will be like looking at a 1024 x 768 CRT from 2002. And that’s something to be excited about.

To understand why there’s so much more to be done with display resolution, you need to understand how Steve Jobs came up with his initial “magic number” for Retina: in short, he based it on a person having 20/20 vision. Seems reasonable, because colloquially, 20/20 vision is synonymous with having perfect eyesight.

The only problem? 20/20 isn’t perfect eyesight at all...

Tobor

He said apps specifically though. Most apps are $1 to $2. Even if you have 50 to 100 apps, you're not out much. Navigon is certainly an exception, and heck I even bought that myself, but I hardly use it with better alternatives out there that are free and I would assume if you're jumping off of iOS, you'll have free offline map options for Android with Google or Windows Phone 8 with Nokia. Doesn't Google or Amazon have their own matching scheme? You'd just sign up for that instead of Apple.

I can understand if you don't find the eco system or app selection that meets your needs, but I'd hardly say being invested with apps should be a reason to stick to a phone OS given how cheap the apps are for the most part. I have probably 200+ apps and games on my phone, but I'm sure I've spent no more than $100 at best. That's like a month and a half of service, or not even two console games.

For me, it's not really about the apps I already have. It's about the apps I'll want to have in the future.

Games and important apps are still iOS first and always, Android second and optional. Rare exceptions aside, I can count on the next big thing being on iOS.

Phoenix

For me, it's not really about the apps I already have. It's about the apps I'll want to have in the future.

Games and important apps are still iOS first and always, Android second and optional. Rare exceptions aside, I can count on the next big thing being on iOS.

Android vendors are OEMing content for Android and with all of the gaming platforms like Unity and Unreal fully supporting Android - the content pipeline for Android is starting to get substantially better for gaming. Can't say the same for the more business centric apps.

coldfoot

Banned
Android vendors are OEMing content for Android and with all of the gaming platforms like Unity and Unreal fully supporting Android - the content pipeline for Android is starting to get substantially better for gaming. Can't say the same for the more business centric apps.
Still second fiddle to iOS because iOS app revenues dwarf android app revenues.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

Here, just take it.

ibWITGYILl9NC.gif

kehs

Banned
I think in a few updates of chrome, webapps will replace business native apps. Maybe about three months.

Gaming will never be the determining factor of the mobile future. Business will, and businesses have ,orw flexibility with a free software stack than they do with and inclusive system.

Phoenix

I think in a few updates of chrome, webapps will replace business native apps. Maybe about three months.

Gaming will never be the determining factor of the mobile future. Business will, and businesses have ,orw flexibility with a free software stack than they do with and inclusive system.

Webapps still have a ways to go from a features and performance perspective. While you can do a lot with JQuery/CSS3/HTML5/Sencha/etc - even those building apps based on HTML5 are doing so because they don't have the talent - not because they want to. I've done several gigs where they started out wanting HTML5 but what they were trying to build was complex enough that performance sucked even with 4.1.1/iOS6 such that they peeled it back and decided to go native.

bionic77

I really hope they have some kickass features close to the chest. A friend asked me the other day what is new about it. All I could really say was the screen.

Keep in mind, like consumer features. Nano-sim is hardly a feature that benefits me, nor does a new dock connector.
Apple needs something big to blow us away.

When the 4 came out it was lightyears ahead of everything else (battery life, how it looked, screen res, speed, etc). The only thing Android had to combat it was giant screens. But now Android phones have caught up and even surpassed the iPhone hardware and even in some ways in software. I don't really like my 4S because the battery life is shit. I will stick around for one more gen at least because of how invested I am in iOS but Apple really needs to come out guns blazing with the new OS and phone. I can't see them matching the 4 but they need to do something to get ahead again and differentiate themselves.

When the 4 came out it was lightyears ahead of everything else (battery life, how it looked, screen res, speed, etc). The only thing Android had to combat it was giant screens. But now Android phones have caught up and even surpassed the iPhone hardware and even in some ways in software. I don't really like my 4S because the battery life is shit. I will stick around for one more gen at least because of how invested I am in iOS but Apple really needs to come out guns blazing with the new OS and phone. I can't see them matching the 4 but they need to do something to get ahead again and differentiate themselves.

I kind of feel the same way. I am really impressed with the new Lumia phones, and am having a hard time finding reasons to be excited about the new iPhone.

NYR

Great post, pretty sums up the current state of mobile platforms, gets me excited for the 12th!!

bionic77

I kind of feel the same way. I am really impressed with the new Lumia phones, and am having a hard time finding reasons to be excited about the new iPhone.
5 years later the competition has caught up.

I have no interest in a windows phone (I will never support MS again after my experience with Windows Mobile) but if Google can make their phones a little more smooth and improve app support I can really see myself jumping to a Nexus phone somewhere down the line.

For now though iPhones just work a little better right now for what I need I for (IMO). But man that gap they created with the 4 vanished quick and I really hate my 4S.

kehs

Banned
Webapps still have a ways to go from a features and performance perspective. While you can do a lot with JQuery/CSS3/HTML5/Sencha/etc - even those building apps based on HTML5 are doing so because they don't have the talent - not because they want to. I've done several gigs where they started out wanting HTML5 but what they were trying to build was complex enough that performance sucked even with 4.1.1/iOS6 such that they peeled it back and decided to go native.
Well yea, that's why said a few iterations of chrome. Six weeks by 3-5 =D

goomba

Banned
This is the first major product reveal since Steve Jobs died.

It's going to be really telling how apple move forward without him.

Jarmel

Banned

We know everything though about the new iPhone. Unless everything we've seen so far has been decoys, it's not going to blow anyone away.

neemmss

What if the 5 does not just mean a new iPhone. What if the 5 is inferring that there is going to be 5 NEW devices being announced that day?

1. iPhone
2. iPad Mini
3. iPod Touch
4. iPod Nano
5. ?? (iPod classic or new iMac's?)

bionic77

This is the first major product reveal since Steve Jobs died.

It's going to be really telling how apple move forward without him.
You can't replace Jobs for presentations but as long as the products are innovative and continue to kick ass then I am onboard.

I am especially going to miss Steve selling us turn by turn maps. :lol

Apple always has surprises at these shows so it will be a great waste of time.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
What if the 5 does not just mean a new iPhone. What if the 5 is inferring that there is going to be 5 NEW devices being announced that day?

1. iPhone
2. iPad Mini
3. iPod Touch
4. iPod Nano

Don't be silly, it means iPhone 5, you think Apple is that creative?

bionic77

We know everything though about the new iPhone. Unless everything we've seen so far has been decoys, it's not going to blow anyone away.
There are always surprises dude. Apple always introduced at least a few big new features that we did not know about. We knew everything about the 4 and yet I was still ridiculously blown away by that once I got it in my hands. Pictures don't convey the whole story.

If it is just a big screen and turn by turn maps then the iPhone is just going to be another phone and not the market leader anymore.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

NYR V.S. SMT

Lundqvist is the best.

I'm getting the iPhone 5 because of the Quad Core processor in order to play Chaos Rings, and that other random Square RPG that just released.

Plus HDMI-out.

SuperPac

1. iPhone
2. iPad Mini
3. iPod Touch
4. iPod Nano

I saw someone else tweet this as well and thought that could be pretty interesting. But, word is that the iPad mini is going to have a separate event (though that seems kind of strange - how do you spend an hour showing off a smaller version of a product that's already on the market with a version of the OS that'll already be out by that time).

Definitely wouldn't be iMacs though. My guess would be:

- iPhone
- iPad mini
- iPod touch
- iPod Nano
- iPod Shuffle

I don't really like my 4S because the battery life is shit. I will stick around for one more gen at least

If you think the battery life on the 4S is bad I think you would be pretty disappointed at the battery life of most non-Apple smartphones.

numble

I saw someone else tweet this as well and thought that could be pretty interesting. But, word is that the iPad mini is going to have a separate event (though that seems kind of strange - how do you spend an hour showing off a smaller version of a product that's already on the market with a version of the OS that'll already be out by that time).

Definitely wouldn't be iMacs though. My guess would be:

- iPhone
- iPad mini
- iPod touch
- iPod Nano
- iPod Shuffle

They could just focus on iPhone and iOS 6 at this event, including 1-2 new Apple App Store apps, including 1-2 new third party App Store games.

And then save all the iPod stuff mixed in with mini iPad, maybe new Apple TV puck or content deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom