• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

I'm on 3gs and I'm not impressed. Then I don't need a shit load of power to browse the internet.

You should probably move into the market for these then:

angry-birds-in-Nokia-Asha-3032-640x302.jpg

My feeling is that while its a nice phone, as someone with a 4S you have to do some deep DEEP soul searching to justify upgrading to it right now. As stated in the earlier thread, I'll wait for the 5S and see the phone they *really* wanted to build.

I have my 4s and am quite happy with it for now until upgrade time next year. Not feeling the rush to upgrade and I have friends that will be upgrading to the iphone 5 so I'll let them be the guinea pigs for the time being as I'm sure the 5S (or whatever they'll call it) will probably have more improvements.

Kinda wish I held off on sending Apple my 1G nano earlier this year as maybe I could've scored the new ones. Ah well.

I'll probably buy the earpods to see if they're a viable option for working out in. I have the in-ear buds for everyday use and love the remote.

Zanosuke

I don't understand the complaint of the headphone jack.. If you put the phone upside down in your pocket it will be correctly aligned with your hand when you take it out. I don't even have a smartphone (yet!) and I have always had mine upside down because it makes the most sense..

Zeth

So much for "looks the same". This thing is beautiful. Black looks like it could smudge but I'll probably go with it anyway.

Ack, so I'm not really a big Apple guy (simply because I'm a dumb phone user and don't want to shell out for a data plan) but this keynote did have pretty much the one thing that I was interested in, that being an upgrade to the iPod Touch. There is tons of goodness on the AppStore these days, and I'd love to get in on some of that with an improved Touch. But man that price still stings, $300 for the base improved model is just still too rich for my blood.
ipod always stings when you buy one because the price is so high, but it's always an investment that pays off in the long run. I think I valued all my ipods more than any other devices that I've owned. Can't be without em. Though now I use the nano rather than the touch but only because I use the iphone.

Then again it's like that with most apple products. Stings when you buy em, but you'll be happy in the long run.

Phoenix

Can I ask you a question? What are you wanting/expecting in the 5S, in the 'phone they *really* wanted to build. You know it will in all likelihood look identical. So, what are the major changes you expect to see? Can you provide a list? I'm curious, because apart from spec upgrades, I can't think of anything major.

And yeah, if I was a 4S owner, I wouldn't jump on this, but then again, I don't see why those that own that phone are so compelled to replace it less than a year after launch, or why they believe Apple should market this phone solely to them.

These two are the patent areas of focus for Apple that I expect some innovation in for the next phone that will be (well were in other platforms) game changers:

1) NFC
2) Inductive charging

I don't understand the complaint of the headphone jack.. If you put the phone upside down in your pocket it will be aligned with your hand when you take it out. I don't even have a smartphone (yet!) and I have always had mine upside down because it makes the most sense..

while in my car the 5 has to sit upside down now it wont even fit into the dock I have because the headphones cant fit.

small issue but it is an issue..

granted the future is blue tooth and stuff but come on.

border

I can't believe they have so completely abandoned the iPhone 3GS -- you cannot even choose to buy it on the Apple website.

After they announced iOS6 support on the 3GS, I was thinking they were going to explore using the 3GS as a cheap inroad to prepaid and emerging world markets. Instead they have completely nixed the 3GS product line, and made the iPhone 4 $75 more expensive than the previous price on an unlocked 3GS.

tralfazz

Also: any word from AT&T to confirm we'll lose our grandfathered unlimited plans if we upgrade?

It didn't happen to me when I upgraded my iPad this year to my amazement. Just carried over. You login to the cellular data area under settings and type in your account login and boom, carried over. Hope it is the same here.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't understand the complaint of the headphone jack.. If you put the phone upside down in your pocket it will be correctly aligned with your hand when you take it out. I don't even have a smartphone (yet!) and I have always had mine upside down because it makes the most sense..

Try putting your phone in your pocket. If you don't have massive pockets, you can't wrapon your hand around your phone while it's in your pocket. You grab the tip of the phone and pull it out. This works well with the jack at the top...not so much with the jack at the bottom.

Also, the volume buttons become quite inaccessible when they're deep in your pocket, rather than just being at the edge of your pocket.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hope the new headphone buds really are as comfortable as they say. The current ones really really hurt my ears after a few minutes that I can't use them for more than a short while before I have to take them out and reinsert them.

Zanosuke

while in my car the 5 has to sit upside down now it wont even fit into the dock I have because the headphones cant fit.

small issue but it is an issue..

granted the future is blue tooth and stuff but come on.

Ah, I can see that be a small problem. Never thought of that : /

LordCanti

Now that the back is a durable (hopefully) aluminum, I might just put a screen protector on and roll that way.

Lol, J/K, full Otterbox Defender for me again.

Try putting your phone in your pocket. If you don't have massive pockets, you can't wrapon your hand around your phone while it's in your pocket. You grab the tip of the phone and pull it out. This works well with the jack at the top...not so much with the jack at the bottom.

That was my take as well. I guess it doesn't matter if you're rocking cargo shorts.

kharma45

I really hope the new headphone buds really are as comfortable as they say. The current ones really really hurt my ears after a few minutes that I can't use them for more than a short while before I have to take them out and reinsert them.

Why in the name of all that's holy are you using Apple headphones? They're fucking dire.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Looking at those Verge hands on pics, either the phone is smaller than I thought or that guy has giant hands.

it's still as narrow as the iPhone 4/4S, just a bit taller to accommodate the new screen. i'd imagine that height differential isn't immediately obvious in most photos.

solarus

New iphone looks really great not sure why there wer so many android fanboys shitting up this thread this time, a lot of sour grapes. The s3 has no advantage unless you prefer android os, which I do not. Tempted to ditch my galaxy note i got gifted early but I'll wait till next year. Dat aluminum.

accx

Also, the volume buttons become quite inaccessible when they're deep in your pocket, rather than just being at the edge of your pocket.

This doesn't make any sense, since when putting the phone in your pocket upside down (like he said) you would be able to pull it from the cable, and also have the phone perfectly aligned in your hand when it's out of the pocket.

kehs

Banned
I can't believe they have so completely abandoned the iPhone 3GS -- you cannot even choose to buy it on the Apple website.

After they announced iOS6 support on the 3GS, I was thinking they were going to explore using the 3GS as a cheap inroad to prepaid and emerging world markets. Instead they have completely nixed the 3GS product line, and made the iPhone 4 $75 more expensive than the previous price on an unlocked 3GS.

Why would Apple care about appealing to emerging markets? There's little money there.

noah111

Still Alive
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom