• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

What I wanna know is if they'll offer a new 5-bound software thing, like Siri before. The new iOS wasn't really that special.

Hari Seldon

Changing the docking port is a dick move being that i have a million of those things lying about.

What is this about new headphones? Like are they not using traditional headphones anymore or just upgrading the buds to something not as worthless?

Can't one just buy the spare parts and fix it oneself?

I dropped my iPhone 4 for the 6th time last night, this time on concrete asphalt as it was on a road. NOTHING happened besides a few scratches. This is a very durable phone. I'll go one more year with it. :)
I think you're just lucky. My friend dropped his once onto a carpeted floor (albeit not a very thick carpet) and 1/4 of the glass at the front completely shattered.

Randdalf

I can't get excited for these events any more, it's only interesting when they show something that's genuinely new (like the iPhone or iPad unveilings) because of the influence Apple has over the industry.

MarkusRJR

I have been wondering what people use both an iPhone and iPod Touch for? I'm just curious as I have considered this road before as well.
I have a Windows Phone and an iPod Touch. I mainly use the iPod Touch just to work out with and use as a dedicated music player along with the occasional game, while my WP is used to apps and general smartphone stuff (mainly due to low internal memory; only 8gb). Plus I'd probably break my phone if I used it while working out because I'd sweat all over it. If my iPod dies, it'd cost less to replace.

My iPod Touch's screen is getting really unresponsive lately though, so I'm pumped at the idea of getting a cheap iPod Nano to take over as my music player.

kinggroin

Banned
How fast will Copernicus be banned on the 12th? That's pretty much going to be the only interesting thing for me then.

Bring your A-game son!

Pachimari

I think you're just lucky. My friend dropped his once onto a carpeted floor (albeit not a very thick carpet) and 1/4 of the glass at the front completely shattered.
I'm sorry to hear.
And yeah, I think it might come down to luck.
It was a really nasty drop last night where it jumping numorous times on the asphalt. I won't give up on a baby who refuse to give up on me, we'll go through the next year together.

noah111

Still Alive
Pretty hilarious if they end up calling it the iPhone 5 instead of 'the new iPhone' like they did with the iPad. I guess the iPad isn't big enough or old enough for that to really matter to them as number does with the iPhones. But this is basically going to be as boring as the iPhone 4 and 4S reveal, in a way. We already know exactly how it looks.. I secretly hope they just surprise us completely and come out with this type of backing instead;

yMzqN.png

Instead of the two toned 'unibody'-esq elongated design.. but it'll never happen. We know that the above design was certainly on the table and very far along, so maybe for the iPhone 6. :lol

Cheech

I have a Windows Phone and an iPod Touch. I mainly use the iPod Touch just to work out with and use as a dedicated music player along with the occasional game, while my WP is used to apps and general smartphone stuff (mainly due to low internal memory; only 8gb). Plus I'd probably break my phone if I used it while working out because I'd sweat all over it. If my iPod dies, it'd cost less to replace..

FWIW, I've been running with my 4S all year. I keep it in an armband. After every run, I pop it out and dry the thing off with my shirt (or a paper towel, if it was especially hot and my shirt is completely soaked).

I've also dropped mine on concrete a few times, and it took a barely noticeable sliver off two glass corners of the phone.

The thing still looks brand new, even after all this abuse. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, and I can get one penalty-free through work. I'm just not that interested in upgrading all my accessories, cables, etc... also:

iPhone: rock solid
iPhone 3G: Buggy as hell, dropped calls constantly when switching from 3G/Edge
iPhone 3GS: rock solid
iPhone 4: antenna-gate, glass was initially very easy to break
iPhone 4S: rock solid
iPhone 5: ??????????

So, yeah.

I think the biggest let down for me now is the change in dock connector. While I do think it's long overdue this is going to separate the market a bit, and definitely cause an issue with docking accessories. Also as an owner of the iPhone 4S, I probably won't be upgrading until the inevitable 5S version, and as someone who's likely going to upgrade to next years iPad as well, that means I'll have solid half year time of having to use two different charges for my phone and iPad. Not looking forward to that at all.

The fact that they're using the phrase "it's almost here" in singular strongly implies that it's iPhone only. nothing else

I'm not saying it's an impossibly, but I really think itunes, ipods and the new ipad mini get shown off at the second event next month.

Yup, iPhone in Sept and iPad mini, new iPod line, etc. in October

Only real question mark is where does Apple insert the new Macs (13' MacBook Pro retina, new iMac, etc.)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Pretty hilarious if they end up calling it the iPhone 5 instead of 'the new iPhone' like they did with the iPad. I guess the iPad isn't big enough or old enough for that to really matter to them as number does with the iPhones. But this is basically going to be as boring as the iPhone 4 and 4S reveal, in a way. We already know exactly how it looks.. I secretly hope they just surprise us completely and come out with this type of backing instead;

yMzqN.png

Instead of the two toned 'unibody'-esq elongated design.. but it'll never happen. We know that the above design was certainly on the table and very far along, so maybe for the iPhone 6. :lol

I much prefer the iPhone 4 design to the iPad design, to be honest. My heart sank when everyone was certain it was going to be like an iPad mini before the release of the 4S.

kruskev

yMzqN.png

I hate this curved back look so I hope it never happens.

giga

There's an image floating around showing the supposed box art of the new phone. It's fake. It has no passbook icon, does have a youtube icon, and is using the 10.8 wallpaper.

P22e+

Sucks that we don't have the entertainment like we did with the iPad 3 event where the dude Refrigerator kept saying the iPad wasn't retina and then we decended into a horrible pit of retina-ness discussions.

Who wants to step up and replace Refrigerator? Pick your poison:

iPhone 5 as the name (6th iPhone)
4in screen not a true 4in screen like on Android (not wider!!!!)
"Steve Jobs would have never let this happen" responses gone wild
Thinner 4S with some metal on the back? Apple's true innovation

Come on, I've already primed the pump...someone take it! Someone be the next Refrigerator!

Sucks that we don't have the entertainment like we did with the iPad 3 event where the dude Refrigerator kept saying the iPad wasn't retina and then we decended into a horrible pit of retina-ness discussions.

Come on, I've already primed the pump...someone take it! Someone be the next Refrigerator!
Bigger screen? Apple copying Android.

kinggroin

Banned

Looks like you got a handle on this

I hope they do a another generation of iPods.

and I'm glad the internet was able to leak something from Apple, even if it was only a press date.

KHarvey16

Looking to sell the 4S to help cover the cost of the slightly subsidized early upgrade to a 5. I've got my old 3G in a drawer at home, so my question is: how much of a pain is it to go back to the older phone while I wait for the 5? I'm not worried about apps really since its just a couple weeks that I'll need it but contacts should be fine, right? Just swap the SIM and activate on iTunes?

Dreaver

Finally it's time for a new phone! Time to upgrade my HTC Desire (I hate it, it's terrible slow but especially in the beginning it was an awesome phone).

Though it will suck Europe will most likely get it a few weeks later. :(

noah111

Still Alive
Serious question: What will the NEXT iPhone be? 5S with the same body but better specs? Then what? This is basically the iPhone 1 to iPhone 3G leap tbh. Same basic design but slightly different form.

It's going to be interesting how they keep things fresh amidst all these varying form factors (see Lumia) going forward.

Also, I wonder if the iPod touch will ever get 4/S design. They could make it ridiculously thin but with that industrial block form.

kinggroin

Banned
Serious question: What will the NEXT iPhone be? 5S with the same body but better specs? Then what? This is basically the iPhone 1 to iPhone 3G leap tbh. Same basic design but slightly different form.

It's going to be interesting how they keep things fresh amidst all these varying form factors (see Lumia) going forward.

Also, I wonder if the iPod touch will ever get 4/S design. They could make it ridiculously thin but with that industrial block form.

Outside of some Wii level shakeup to hardware, all the "newness" comes courtesy of iOS updates. Its all about software really.

Kurita

I bought a iPhone 4S two months ago, I'll wait for the 5S...
Excited to see a new iPod though, my Touch is 3 years old and full...

Zeth

Is Refrigerator still around? I have to give him credit for sticking to his guns. I wonder what he thinks about Apple's fall from grace in 2012 with Cook at the wheel. Surely Jobs would've laughed this new design out of the room, and it's simply the product of the out-of-control money hungry execs pulling the strings.

I should take a cue from Apple.

Just make my posts a little longer

and also bold the top and bottom.

It's guaranteed to work.

Haha, well played sir.

coldfoot

Banned
Very disappointed in the screen not being wider, but I'll still get it for the thinner form factor and larger screen...

Yup, iPhone in Sept and iPad mini, new iPod line, etc. in October

Only real question mark is where does Apple insert the new Macs (13' MacBook Pro retina, new iMac, etc.)

iPad - March/April
Macbook/iMac - June/July (with some refreshes in january occasionally)
iPhone/iPod/iPad mini - September/October

the only reason other companies keep changing their form factors so drastically so often is because they haven't found anything that works yet. Samsung found something that works with their galaxy line, and those phones all look pretty similar.

None the less, they'll probably follow the same pattern as always. 3G->3GS, 4->4S, 5->5S?

Pachimari

iPad Mini highly likely won't have anything to do with this event (and being announced in October rather) but what is the general consensus of it's price, do we guess around €299?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What a clever invitation. I love the 5 as the shadow. I also love that because it seems it'll be called the iPhone 5. Eat a dick to all of you pedants who were crying about others calling the next iPhone the iPhone 5. Looks like your pedantic posts backfired.

I love the 5's new design but wish it were a bit 'newer.' Anyway, I hope there are some surprises left in store.

Quick

Banned
I have been wondering what people use both an iPhone and iPod Touch for? I'm just curious as I have considered this road before as well.

I don't like using my iPhone to play music. I don't even have any music in it in the first place. I really just prefer the Touch over the Classic, in general.

iPad Mini highly likely won't have anything to do with this event (and being announced in October rather) but what is the general consensus of it's price, do we guess around €299?

Anyone's guess really. Some people think that just because there is a Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 at $199 that Apple will release an iPad at that price. My guess is $299 for the base model and then going up from there with various storage options. Apple likes to make money off of hardware unlike Amazon and Google.

Zeth

iMore is on a roll with their rumors this year. They nailed the event date in July along with dock connector stuff before everyone else, next up is the October event and the second wave iPhone release. I fear for the safety of their writers. Apple will surely send their ninjas.

I've heard some good arguments for a $199-$249 mini, but the realist in me expects $299. Anyone's guess really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom