• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

Idk how much to hype myself. I got a 4s in June and I can upgrade for this using an upgrade from another line that isn't going to upgrade. LTE would be nice if Sprint ever makes it to Tallahassee, but other than that and .5 inches of screen real estate, I don't know if there is much to expect. And I don't know why I'm so excited

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are we guessing from A6? A15 dual core, A9 quad core? And dual or quad GPU?

rumor of new dock connector called 'lightning' must mean its thunderbolt compatible for Mac right? Hopefully that also means USB3 compatible, although I don't think I've connected my ipad to a computer in months, likewise my wife's 4S

Not sure whether to bother with a livestream, or just use gaf

Septimius

I was thinking about that yesterday. That would be the worst thing they could ever do, I'm not sure they could get away with it, especially now.

Why would they ever? They can never compete in the headphone market. They're not out to get you. They even allow you to bypass the internal amp in the iPhone and get line out. Sounds like catering, not like cutting off. Surely you're not suggesting they get a separate connector for all the different technologies out there?

Mini-jack for audio-out? 3 pin for audio in? hdmi? vga? SPDIF? Usb? Charge-port? Headphone jack? Optical? Remote control port?

Face it. There are no worthwhile standards for connectors. USB isn't one, because USB has 4 pins, which is only 1 data-pair. How do you propose sending audio out and receiving remote control messages at the same time over 1 pair?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
a new iTunes? i'm expecting the same interface with a new Radio section added to highlight their new Pandora-esque offering.

either that or it's gone totally skeuomorphic; the interface is a giant series of shelves lined with CD trays, books and other media - all with the spine facing outward. Pinch to zoom to get a better view of the collection. organize items how you want shelf-by-shelf!

selecting a CD shows an opening animation of a CD being inserted into a sudenly morphed CD-player-if-designed-by-Dieter-Rams-first. open a movie and the interface morphs into a Jony TV interface with a black glossy border. to control you rely on separate remote control apps for each interface.

we really shouldn't be discussing flimsy connections/cords in an apple thread anyway :p

Speaking of which, my gf has an iPad 3 and the power adapter just stopped working one day. Went to the Apple store to get it replaced and someone else was getting a new one too. Is this a common problem or what?

Septimius

I guess installing official apps, charging it once it's below 30% every night, backing up the thing once a month and making sure it's never more than 50-60% full on data is using it wrong then. Mine's definitely slowed down a notch over the past year.

I install whatever, I charge it whenever, I never back it up, and I have no idea how much space I use. Why would those things matter to performance? There's obviously something making the phone sluggish - it can be anything - if it's slow, reset it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hopefully the dock adapter also replicates all of the necessary signals - otherwise a ton of accessories and docks are going to be pissed off.

Speaking of which, my gf has an iPad 3 and the power adapter just stopped working one day. Went to the Apple store to get it replaced and someone else was getting a new one too. Is this a common problem or what?
every laptop I have owned (since the OG Powerbook), has either had a power adapter that has frayed (and sparked), stopped working, or is just kind of shitty. Cords are not Apple's strong suit.

AAP001US.jpg

Anyone remember this guy?

every laptop I have owned (since the OG Powerbook), has either had a power adapter that has frayed (and sparked), stopped working, or is just kind of shitty. Cords are not Apple's strong suit.

AAP001US.jpg

I'm not even referring to the cord but rather the brick at the end of it that you plug the USB into. The cord itself was fine.

AAP001US.jpg

One of these almost set fire to my bed.

I could have sued Apple for all their patents.

I would have been the Patent King.

noah111

Still Alive
I guess the Touch will get a processor upgrade if it's going to have Retina.
?Touches already have retina. Elongating the screen to 1136 pixels like they will with the iPhone (4 inch 16:9) won't change the retina aspect. But yeah, i'm sure it'll get an internal spec bump.

jts

...hate me...
It would be stupid on their part not to have a sold-separetley thunderbolt cable for it, tbh. But i'm sure it'll be USB 3.0 compatible out of the box.
No way, in the same way that we don't have firewire iPhone cables right now. What's the point of the added cost and logistics to support 2 different types of cables, when USB 3 is already a very welcome improvement, and in a day and age that we also have wireless sync and iCloud stuff. And USB is also common standard for charging.
Nope.

I'm not even referring to the cord but rather the brick at the end of it that you plug the USB into. The cord itself was fine.
I've had both problems, the one I posted a picture of had a bad tendency of fraying, sparking and melting at the base of the cord heh. They are pretty good about giving you a free one if you raise a stink about it though. Unfortunately I have been in the position where I didn't really have the choice but to go out and fork over the $80 "rental" fee at a store.

One of these almost set fire to my bed.
Luckily mine was on a kitchen counter when it decided to burn up.

noah111

Still Alive
No way, in the same way that we don't have firewire iPhone cables right now. What's the point of the added cost and logistics to support 2 different types of cables, when USB 3 is already a very welcome improvement, and in a day and age that we also have wireless sync and iCloud stuff. And USB is also common standard for charging.
Nope.
Who's to say what the added costs or logistics of supporting thunderbolt even is? You assume it's significant enough for them not to take this opportunity to push thunderbolt, but that may not be the case.

But who knows, it could be USB 3/2 only, but why go with branding it as 'lightning' and remind us of thunderbolt, if it wouldn't even be compatible? Seems like it'd be a silly move (branding wise alone) if you ask me.

Ryaaan14

Banned
This year I will be going dark while I'm at work so I can watch the keynote (hopefully) by the time I'm home.

Cannot waitttttttt.

I've had both problems, the one I posted a picture of had a bad tendency of fraying, sparking and melting at the base of the cord heh. They are pretty good about giving you a free one if you raise a stink about it though. Unfortunately I have been in the position where I didn't really have the choice but to go out and fork over the $80 "rental" fee at a store.

Luckily mine was on a kitchen counter when it decided to burn up.

I thought I was seeing things but now that you mention the spark I recall plugging in the iPad and I saw a spark jump from the connector to the iPad. And this was the day she got it brand new.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You're using it wrong
I am amazed with how much Iphone 4 performance has degraded over time with iOS updates that brought hardly anything notable new that would warrant such performance drop. Virtually no change in the fundamental way anything looks or works, yet it's gone from hero to zero in performance. I remember there was time where I didn't need to wait nearly 10 seconds for the camera to open and start recording.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Boo, I expected an iPad mini announcement.

I upgraded to a 4s in January, I don't want to watch a live blog about something I wont be getting. :( It might even make sense for me to skip this phone.

I'm probably out, don't think I wanna torture myself waiting for a live blog then reading it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I am amazed with how much Iphone 4 performance has degraded over time with iOS updates that brought hardly anything notable new that would warrant such performance drop. Virtually no change in the fundamental way anything looks or works, yet it's gone from hero to zero in performance. I remember there was time where I didn't need to wait nearly 10 seconds for the camera to open and start recording.

Restore your phone

Aesthet1c

I don't really care about the new dock connector as long as the 5 still works with my car stereo, which has a USB port for iPods/iPhones.

Xater

Boo, I expected an iPad mini announcement.

I upgraded to a 4s in January, I don't want to watch a live blog about something I wont be getting. :( It might even make sense for me to skip this phone.

I'm probably out, don't think I wanna torture myself waiting for a live blog then reading it.

I also have a 4S so my excitement for the phone is not really existent. The upcoming new iTunes though could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom