• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
SIXTY MINUTES LEFT.

Everybody ready yourselves for the hilarious
Tim Cook
backlash and inevitable 'proof that Apple without Jobs is DOOMED' bullshit that always surfaces. disgunbgud.gif

numble

I am amazed with how much Iphone 4 performance has degraded over time with iOS updates that brought hardly anything notable new that would warrant such performance drop. Virtually no change in the fundamental way anything looks or works, yet it's gone from hero to zero in performance. I remember there was time where I didn't need to wait nearly 10 seconds for the camera to open and start recording.

Do you have a lot of photos in your cameraroll?

jts

...hate me...
Who's to say what the added costs or logistics of supporting thunderbolt even is? You assume it's significant enough for them not to take this opportunity to push thunderbolt, but that may not be the case.

But who knows, it could be USB 3/2 only, but why go with branding it as 'lightning' and remind us of thunderbolt, if it wouldn't even be compatible? Seems like it'd be a silly move (branding wise alone) if you ask me.
Well, at least there has to be some costs/increased complexity for the dock to support thunderbolt as well? Apple is all about cutting unnecessary fat.

And would you be smug enough to buy a thunderbolt iPhone cable to have a slightly faster syncing time every once in a while, to find out that you lost the convenience of charging and plugging your phone anywhere (esp. on vacations etc).

jiggles

Banned
I'm expecting mostly:

samejjpy2.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Restore your phone
Yeah, it helps for about a day, basically until I multitask through a few apps.

My second favorites are 3-4 second delay when I want to type someone's name in the address field of email, or 2-3 second delay after I press a keyboard key in a form on a website

Epix

So no livestreams?

Apple will apparently not be providing live video coverage of the event to the public, but a number of news sites will be on hand to provide text and photo updates, and we're including links to several of them here. We will also be updating this article with coverage and issuing Twitter updates through our @MacRumorsLive account as the media event unfolds. Separate news stories regarding the event announcements will go out through our @MacRumors account.

- Engadget
- Ars Technica
- The Verge
- The Loop
- gdgt
- Macworld
- AllThingsD
- CNET
- SlashGear
- AnandTech

Apple's online stores around the world are currently down in advance of the event.

Oh there's a livestream... with puppets... at twit.tv. Apparently people missed my initial post on the topic. What could be better? You know, save for an actual livestream.

Septimius

Yeah, it helps for about a day, basically until I multitask through a few apps.

My second favorites are 3-4 second delay when I want to type someone's name in the address field of email, or 2-3 second delay after I press a keyboard key in a form on a website

Well, your phone is broken. Everyone else's wasn't by the upgrade. Either it's hardware failure, or there's still something on there. Send it off to repairs.

noah111

Still Alive
Well, at least there has to be some costs/increased complexity for the dock to support thunderbolt as well? Apple is all about cutting unnecessary fat.
Not when that 'fat' is a tech that they're already deeply invest in pushing. It's theirs. USB 3 is not. But who knows, you may be right. The branding would still be ignorant on their part.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, your phone is broken. Everyone else's wasn't by the upgrade. Either it's hardware failure, or there's still something on there. Send it off to repairs.
No, friend's iphone 4 is just the same. It's ios6, and to a lesser degree it was ios5. Phones are just horribly bogged down by multitasking it seems, even though the actual multitasking system hasn't really changed since it was introduced.

Christopher

This phone has been hyped so bad you only set yourself up for disappointment I'll get the new phone when it's upgrade time...from blackberry to iPhone was a huge deal to me iPhone to iPhone not so much especially since I have a 4S. Their sorta like Nintendo you always wait for the revision before you dive in

Mairu

This phone has been hyped so bad you only set yourself up for disappointment I'll get the new phone when it's upgrade time...from blackberry to iPhone was a huge deal to me iPhone to iPhone not so much especially since I have a 4S. Their sorta like Nintendo you always wait for the revision before you dive in

What's there to be disappointed about? Feels like everything has been leaked for weeks ;|

Levyne

Banned
I am very interested in a new iphone, but Verizon has that new share plans and, being the 5th line on a family plan, they'd probably make me switch from my unlimited on my phone only and switch everything the fuck around. Unless I just buy unsubsidized...which I can't afford :/

bro1

Banned
I am very interested in a new iphone, but Verizon has that new share plans and, being the 5th line on a family plan, they'd probably make me switch from my unlimited on my phone only and switch everything the fuck around. Unless I just buy unsubsidized...which I can't afford :/

no, they won't. Verizon won't make you change your plan even if you upgrade at the subsidized price.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Is there any real reason Apple doesn't do a live stream of their events? Or do they just do it because they are Apple?

They don't want to break the Internet :p

No, friend's iphone 4 is just the same. It's ios6, and to a lesser degree it was ios5. Phones are just horribly bogged down by multitasking it seems, even though the actual multitasking system hasn't really changed since it was introduced.

I'm sorry that you're having slow down issues with your iPhone 4, but you have to know that this isn't a common problem. iOS 5 runs great on the device and if you're running iOS 6, you may want to wait for the final version before making a judgement call. Beta operating systems are notoriously bad in resource management as optimization is often one of the last stages before release.

rezuth

Is there any real reason Apple doesn't do a live stream of their events? Or do they just do it because they are Apple?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it used to be that back when they did Macworld to announce stuff people bought expensive tickets and they felt they should get the most out of it. So it kinda became something more exclusive and I think they figured they get more attention this way, having people fight over scraps.

jts

...hate me...
Not when that 'fat' is a tech that they're already deeply invest in pushing. It's theirs. USB 3 is not. But who knows, you may be right. The branding would still be ignorant on their part.
Actually it's Intel's, although with a lot of Apple input (and that's true for a lot of other industry standarts as well).

Lightning reminds of faster, all that people need to know. I guess it's kinda like AirPlay may mean a lot of different technologies (wi-fi, bluetooth, etc).

Anyway, getting PSYCHED!

Zeth

They could, but it'd be a massive undertaking with lots of kinks. Tech sites are brought to their knees on iPhone day, it's the biggest traffic day of the year for them. Of course they have the power and money to do it, but that's a major reason they don't IMO.

kehs

Banned
So The Verge tends to be the better blog for these events right?

I mean, except for when they forget about the blog and start making new posts instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom