• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2012 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Best selling game sold less than 236K, Kid Icarus]

C4Lukins

Thanks for your input. The point still stands. One can't say it is the poor economy when another company sells a $500 - $800 toy and can literally sell all of them that they can manufacture.

And Journey recently set the PSN record as well.

I am just saying chill out a bit. You have been noticeably super combative. We are talking about video games. It is a fun hobby. Have fun with it.

anaron

Where's Xenoblade...

uWCpm.gif

JaxJag

Banned
Maybe it's been mentioned, but couldn't the large decline in NPDs be because of digital downloads?

Trials Evolution sold well over 100k it's first 24 hours, Minecraft just did over 400,000k it's first 24 hours.

I really think there's something to do with that, especially with both games offering dozens of hours of gameplay.

Tron 2.0

Maybe it's been mentioned, but couldn't the large decline in NPDs be because of digital downloads?

Trials Evolution sold well over 100k it's first 24 hours, Minecraft just did over 400,000k it's first 24 hours.

I really think there's something to do with that, especially with both games offering dozens of hours of gameplay.
Digital downloads are probably responsible for a small, unquantifiable percentage of the decline, but Occam's razor suggests it's mostly because people aren't buying games.

protonion

It's not the prices. It's the games. Never before a gen had that much lack of creativity. Not only that but even the few "good" games have a really low fun factor compared to previous gens.

I hate the smartphone rise over dedicated machines like many people here, but why do I find myself checking the appstore 10 times a day and playing for hours every "stupid" game I find there?

I miss the amiga/ps1/ps2 eras when every crap idea a developer had turned into a game.

If I was to make a console I'd make the best 199$ hardware I could make. And it would have just ps2 functions. Games and nothing more. Not even online. And the games should be closer to psn/xbla games rather than retail ones. We need to go back a little.

Hammer24

Banned
Lemme get this straight...
- Star Wars Kinect #1
- Sony PR touts a Microsoft product
- Ninty PR doesn´t even bother
- Vita sub 100k

... now all we need is a PSPGo vs. Vita comparison :/

It's one of several factors. The biggest one, though, is lack of good (or at least popular / marketable) game releases.

CTE

Was at EB yesterday and they had a sign taped to the Star Wars kinect game that said "Sold Out". I said "Wow" out loud and got an "I know" from one of the employees at the counter. That pretty much says it all.

StevieP

Banned
game prices on handhelds are too high. make them $29.99 again across the board, and things will pick up.

handhelds themselves also need to go back to being the sort of dedicated device they were in the 90s. okay, so the game boy was pretty widespread. it was also pretty inexpensive for most people.

on the console side, keeping prices at $300 and more for seven years running really sucks. the xbox 360 and ps3 should be $99.99 right now, and the wii should be $79.99.

The problem with the whole "$99 PS3" idea is that the hardware, this round, may not be able to go that low. An example with Sony's console - it would require a hefty and expensive redesign to get a smaller chip for the Cell (and likely RSX) as well so I don't think you'll ever see a 20nm or even 28nm Cell. I don't think you'll ever see a $99 PS3 or 360, outside the subsidized crap. Edit: everyone already knows a $99 Wii is coming sooner than later.

People are waiting for the PS Vita and the 3DS revisions (and price drops)

Gotta move that battery life up to 10 hours.

Did someone finally invent that battery technology that will allow this to happen? Or do your proposed revisions come in at double the size of the current models?

I think you'll see 3DS games settle into the $29.99 price point eventually. I distinctly remember GBA and DS games being $39.99 near the launch of the hardware but they eventually settled into a $29.99 average once the hardware was on the market for a bit.

The problem is that the games cost more to make now, unfortunately.

JaxJag

Banned
It's not the prices. It's the games. Never before a gen had that much lack of creativity. Not only that but even the few "good" games have a really low fun factor compared to previous gens.

I hate the smartphone rise over dedicated machines like many people here, but why do I find myself checking the appstore 10 times a day and playing for hours every "stupid" game I find there?

I miss the amiga/ps1/ps2 eras when every crap idea a developer had turned into a game.

If I was to make a console I'd make the best 199$ hardware I could make. And it would have just ps2 functions. Games and nothing more. Not even online. And the games should be closer to psn/xbla games rather than retail ones. We need to go back a little.

How has this generation lacked creativity? You must not be looking in the right places.

Catastrophic numbers. The only thing that could pull the retail industry of the abyss is a strong price drop on PS3/360 and the introduction of their successors.

StevieP

Banned
Vita ltd top10

200k > u >100k> umvc3 13 mlb 2048 mrrt > 50k > fifa ro hsg ngs+

For the sake of the industry, I hope Sony does something to turn this around soon. Like major exclusive first party software, a steep price cut, and ambassador status.

Unfortunately, financially Sony's not in the greatest of positions to do so.

AniHawk

i know people look at it as 3ds vs. vita, but i think it's in the best interest of both handhelds that they do well. it would mean there would be a market for dedicated handheld machines still. right now it KINDA looks like there MIGHT be room for one MAYBE.

Vita ltd top10

200k > u >100k> umvc3 13 mlb 2048 mrrt > 50k > fifa ro hsg ngs+

So in a slightly easier to read way:

<200k
Uncharted: GA

< 100k
Ultimate MvC3
Unit 13
MLB
Wipeout 2048
Modnation Racers :RT

<50k
FIFA
Rayman Origins
Hot Shots Golf
Ninja Gaiden Sigma+

Oh Origins, ;_;

i know people look at it as 3ds vs. vita, but i think it's in the best interest of both handhelds that they do well. it would mean there would be a market for dedicated handheld machines still. right now it KINDA looks like there MIGHT be room for one MAYBE.
Agreed. It's how I've generally always seen the home consoles too.

antonz

Those are some very bad software sales for the Vita. If we are generous and say near 600K vita sold in NA so far less than 1/3 bought uncharted and that was the big flagship title for launch

Novid

Banned
Investers going to inflate that Apple bubble till it burst. Its worth 50 a share at best. Anybody worth there salt knows Apple isnt worth 600 bucks. I keep sayin this.

Sony and Ninty (not so much MS but there included as well) stock droping is damn well founded. Sony has a Movie /TV Production studio and the investers want to see more work on that side and not nessarly Playstation. Ninty is a god damn goner because the wiiu isnt the barn burner. Its a bigger shame for Sony because they finally have a way better product than Adobe when it comes to Video Encoding/Audio until very recently. Investers see the game the rest of the industry is playing and outside of the Privite companies they want nothing to do with EA, nor Activion.

The only reason i havent given up is because X-Com is coming back and Sony has a way stronger studio than Ninty or any of the iOS android boys. Ouside of a few game companies all i see in the east is gambling and icecream (moe/loli bs) and the west facist propaganda (Black Ops) with discredted and disraced milltary folk. but it will sell and sell big.

its a god damn shame and the Investers want out. Im with them too if nothing changes.

Last game I bought at retail for Xbox was The Witcher 2. I haven't even played it yet. I bought it simply to show my support of the devs. as I have a great PC that runs it maxed. The last game before that was Mass Effect 3 which honestly kind of left a sour taste in my mouth and I haven't really picked up a retail game since then.

Prototype 2 is literally the sequel that no one asked for. I'm surprised it pulled those numbers.
I asked for it. I loved the freedom of Prototype 1. I planned to pick up Prototype 2 but it was delayed on PC and I can't bring myself to paying $60 for it. I still want to play it. Just not bad enough.

Those are some very bad software sales for the Vita. If we are generous and say near 600K vita sold in NA so far less than 1/3 bought uncharted and that was the big flagship title for launch

How many games do you know with attachment ratio above 30% of userbase ?

Zen

Banned

<200k

< 100k
Ultimate MvC3
Unit 13
MLB
Wipeout 2048

<50k
FIFA
Rayman Origins
Hot Shots Golf
Ninja Gaiden Sigma+

Oh Origins, ;_;

Agreed. It's how I've generally always seen the home consoles too.

Those are some very decent software sales for Vita, at least imo.

Yeah, this is a very scary possibility. I feel like Sony mismanaged the Vita by marketing it to the hardcore only. It goes without saying that the traditional hardcore games would be there, but they really needed to get the IOS developers on board from day one. It should have been marketed as the real step up for mobile handheld gaming instead of just being handheld gaming on steroids.

I really want a Vita, but I'm going to wait until after E3 when its future is a bit more clear.

Those are some very decent software sales for Vita, at least imo.

Yeah, this is a very scary possibility. I feel like Sony mismanaged the Vita by marketing it to the hardcore only. It goes without saying that the traditional hardcore games would be there, but they really needed to get the IOS developers on board from day one. It should have been marketed as the real step up for mobile handheld gaming instead of just being handheld gaming on steroids.

I really want a Vita, but I'm going to wait until after E3 when its future is a bit more clear.

For long term Sony choose target audience very well.

They can't win in kids friendly machine market and casual buyer will never want to carry Vita when his phone gives him good enough entertainment.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Investers going to inflate that Apple bubble till it burst. Its worth 50 a share at best. Anybody worth there salt knows Apple isnt worth 600 bucks. I keep sayin this.

Let's examine your investment logic.

At 50 dollars per share, Apple is worth only fifty billion dollars. They would have 2x, probably 3x by the end of the year their market cap in cash (there would be no reason for them to be publicly traded at all).

They'd have so much cash at your share valuation that if they re-bought the company, took it private, and shut down all operations except their cash investments, they'd be making more profit on the interest than any video game company ever has during the run of a year. We're talking perpetual motion here.

Their annual EPS would be >$150. I actually can't find any company that's got a ratio remotely that high.

Apple is profitable, its sales are growing, the rate of growth in its sales is growing, it just initiated one of the largest dividends ever issued and that dividend is cash neutral to them they're banking so much cash. Every single sector of the company is profitable. They have one of the healthiest margins across the board. Their non-holiday quarterly sales exceed their holiday quarterly sales from a year or two ago. Their retail store is the most profitable per-square foot in the category and per-employee possibly in the world.

They have an obvious direction for growth--China--and every phase of that rollout so far has worked swimmingly. If China were to fail for Apple, that'd be a warning sign that current growth would likely slow, but it'd be a long time before an inflection point from growth to decline and a much longer time from decline to loss and a much longer time from loss to structural losses that threaten the company.

its not worth 600 bucks a share. some idiots in Wall Street want to make it 1000 a share. Its a joke. Apple is way overvalued and i dont even invest any more.

How do you determine the value of a share? What fundamentals do you use? EPS/P/E ratio? Structural factors likely to impede future growth? Cash on hand? Debt/equity? Capitalization rate?

You're not simply arguing that Apple is going to receive psychological adjustments that will compensate against a good run, you're arguing that it's deeply structurally overvalued by as much as 85%

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Daaaamn, Stumpo with the smackdown.

As for the Vita sales, it looks to me like each new Vita owner only bought one game. Speaks to the combined price of the system, the games and the memory cards, I think.

UberTag

<200k

< 100k
Ultimate MvC3
Unit 13
MLB
Wipeout 2048

<50k
FIFA
Rayman Origins
Hot Shots Golf
Ninja Gaiden Sigma+

Oh Origins, ;_;
If this is just straight retail purchases, I'm not too concerned. These numbers are decent.

If those totals include digital purchases then SONY is royally screwed.

I am glad gamers are finally taking notice that developers need to come up with better stuff instead of the same old game and just putting (2) behind it. I know this does not include games like Modern Warfare and Battlefield (that is FPS for you), but Prototype 2 failing is completely their own fault.

The Witcher 2 selling horrible? I kind of seen that one coming. The promotion for that game was abysmal, especially in Europe. But that is to expect from a small town developer when you compare it to EA or Epic.

Kusagari

Those don't include digital purchases, so I don't think they're that bad.

The Vita is only selling to the uber hardcore gamers right now, so I'm guessing a good portion are digital only.

I see the "Vita SW sales don't include digital..." line is here already.

Yes, these sales figures don't include digital but since there's absolutely nothing to go on in terms of estimating Vita DD sales on a per title (or across-the-board) basis saying "they don't include digital" adds little to the discussion.

It'll be the same when Nintendo roll out their retail/digital releases later in the year. Unless they start releasing sales figures for digital titles, all we'll have to go on - and all we'll be able to use to judge the success of their games - will be the retail figures we get, and saying "bu-bu-but the digital..." will be just as useless.

Top Bottom