• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2012 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Best selling game sold less than 236K, Kid Icarus]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't get how the next generation is going to solve software sales problems. Better graphics aren't going to do anything.

The problem is simply that the games coming out now suck.
The industry thrives on novelty. People want something new and exciting. The new games don't seem that different from the ones people already own and that's going to be a serious problem going forward.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So lets all get excited for over-hyped launch games that everybody agrees are no good down the road?

Nah. Let's just have developers spread out their AAA stuff over the course of a year, so we don't have shitty Aprils, and then October and November way too busy.

He had to be being sarcastic, as Vita sales proved that wasn't true at all.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So lets all get excited for over-hyped launch games that everybody agrees are no good down the road?

Nah. Let's just have developers spread out their AAA stuff over the course of a year, so we don't have shitty Aprils, and then October and November way too busy.

so what? It gives me a break from war shooter #45,345.

i buy a lot of bad games at the start of a generation... and i never feel bad about it...

except for star wars obi-wan... wtf was that

He had to be being sarcastic, as Vita sales proved that wasn't true at all.

i was being serious. why bring up vita? is it a home console? no. home consoles are quite different than mobile devices.

8 year console cycle gonna kill the industry. Dat waning interest.

Microsoft and Sony can still drop the price, and interest will bounce back abit.

What we need is more quality releases, spread across the calendar year.

I spent most of April playing Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox originals, just cause nothing particularly interesting came out this month.

When good games are released and marketed well, magically sales go up.

so what? It gives me a break from war shooter #45,345.

i buy a lot of bad games at the start of a generation... and i never feel bad about it...

except for star wars obi-wan... wtf was that

If the simple novelty of a new, fancy toy is what excites you, why not go into an EBGames and buy $500 worth of discounted or used games that you haven't played. I'd wager you haven't played every great game that came out on the Xbox 360 and PS3 (and Wii) over the last 7 year.s

Prototype 2 had a week on the charts only. Also, XBLA has been on a tear so I think many sales have deferred to online instead of retail with both Fez and Trials up there.

AHA-Lambda

Again, aren't the next generation games going to just be the same games with better graphics? I'm not quite sure how that's going to fix poor software sales.

The industry is waning because it's being cannibalized by cheaper forms of entertainment.

They need to lower prices.

Is that the only/main reason though? All of the biggest games still do massive numbers at the $60 price tag. The ones that don't, still don't perform well at lower bomba prices. This is an incredibly hype driven industry, and it seems if you have that hype then you can get away with $60. If you don't then no one cares. At. All.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Have to agree.

When the xbox 360 came out people jump from game to game as a group it seem every time a new game came out early in its lifetime.

But they're not doing it with 3DS, not doing it with Vita, and the iPod/iPad/cheap entertainment games didn't exist when 360 was released.

It's a totally different world for consumer entertainment compared to when this generation's systems were released.

The new systems better offer something crazy good in terms of novelty or it's going to crash hard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Damn, May is going to be brutal. Is it usually the lowest month for sells in the U.S or is it another month?

Here are the last two Mays.

---

2011:

Software (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive - 899K
02. Brink (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks - 401K [360/PS3 Only]
03. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
04. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
05. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive - 292K
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
07. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco
08. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
09. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
10. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Lucasarts

---

2010:

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 945.9K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION PS3 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 567.1K
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-10 563.9K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ May-10 221.1K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED PS3 THQ May-10 192.3K
WII FIT PLUS W/BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09
ALAN WAKE * 360 MICROSOFT May-10
POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10
SKATE 3 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS May-10

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Hardware is facing saturation, more for the X360. As Microsoft and Sony have decided to extend this console generation by another 12-18 months, negative YOY comparisons should be expectations-- not surprises. Price cuts are bandages, not cures.
The 360 did 25% more this April than any other April in it's history aside from last year. That's not saturation, that's just having a huge 2011.

Instro

Pretty terrible month, I hope things turnaround soon. I suppose at the very least WiiU launching later this year will be good for the industry.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If the simple novelty of a new, fancy toy is what excites you, why not go into an EBGames and buy $500 worth of discounted or used games that you haven't played. I'd wager you haven't played every great game that came out on the Xbox 360 and PS3 (and Wii) over the last 7 year.s

So owning over 200 titles in the current generation isn't enough?

Ridley327

Here are the last two Mays.

---

2011:

Software (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive - 899K
02. Brink (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks - 401K [360/PS3 Only]
03. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
04. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
05. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive - 292K
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
07. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco
08. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
09. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
10. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Lucasarts

---

2010:

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 945.9K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION PS3 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 567.1K
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-10 563.9K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ May-10 221.1K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED PS3 THQ May-10 192.3K
WII FIT PLUS W/BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09
ALAN WAKE * 360 MICROSOFT May-10
POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10
SKATE 3 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS May-10

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Wow, RDR really cleaned up when it came out. I don't know if Max Payne is strong enough to do nearly 1.5 million, but is it unreasonable to say that it'll clear LA Noire and go on to do a million for May?

Hiltz

... I was unfortunately right. Star Wars Kinect did end up being in the top 5. Such awful news.

No Xenoblade ? I guess we ran out of miracles for it. High five to all that bought it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, RDR really cleaned up when it came out. I don't know if Max Payne is strong enough to do nearly 1.5 million, but is it unreasonable to say that it'll clear LA Noire and go on to do a million for May?

Well, judging by their revenue predictions from a few months back, they were expecting some pretty huge numbers up front.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Shouldn't that remark about 3DS sales 1M over DS sales after X months be enough to deduce sales in april?

I feel "about one million" isn't really specific enough with the general range we're talking about here.

I mean, if we even have 50K in rounding that could be a huge percentage of the monthly sales.

Wow . . . what a dismal month. Is gaming dying? Good weather had kids playing outside? No good releases? Kids too busy texting each other on iPhones?

No, console makers are dragging out the generation longer than it needs to and it is reflecting in spending on games. Consumers are sick of playing the exact same games over and over again.

I hope we hear something about how well Xenoblade did...

Didn't DS have 2 holiday seasons at this point? If so, I think that's incredibly impressive.

True, but the DS didn't really take off in the US until 2006... I mean, that's certainly great for the 3DS, but it is true that the DS took a while before it really started doing well, because of how early in the GBA's life it launched (and because GBA support continued through the first couple of years of its life, too).

magash

Based on the sales result I think giving the Wii U a year head start may prove to be a mistake that Microsoft and Sony will rue.

Top Bottom