• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes May 12th

ZhugeEX

Banned
April NPD History

April%20NPD_zps4hxpjpeh.jpg

PS4 Vs Xbox One NPD History

MARCH%20FINAL_zpsdb05rn6w.jpg

Gap between PS4 & XB1

cumulative%20gap_zpsjply2mdy.jpg

*bunch of lines and curves and numbers*
You know, ZhugeEX, you really do the graphs for us.

So, when do you expect the gap to reach and surpass the old maximum? End of August?

Also it's good to have all April numbers in one box. Makes the prediction game not easier, but I get the feeling that I have more info to base my blind guesses on.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You know, ZhugeEX, you really do the graphs for us.

So, when do you expect the gap to reach and surpass the old maximum? End of August?

Also it's good to have all April numbers in one box. Makes the prediction game not easier, but I get the feeling that I have more info to base my blind guesses on.

Hahahaha! I love that reference :p

I think it's a tough question. End of August sounds about right but I wonder just how big Halo will be. The launch of Halo 3 saw 3.3m units sold in the first month and 520k Xbox 360's sold, double the previous September.

ODST didn't boost hardware YOY, game sales were also around 1.5m

Reach boosted hardware sales again YOY and sold 3.3m.

4 didn't do much for hardware as it was a November release and late in the gen.

Bgamer90

Banned

Depends on how well the Batman PS4 will do in June in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't surpass the old maximum anytime this year if the gap doesn't hit 1 million with June's sales.

I think it's a tough question. End of August sounds about right but I wonder just how big Halo will be. The launch of Halo 3 saw 3.3m units sold in the first month and 520k Xbox 360's sold, double the previous September.

I hate saying this cliche line (haha) but it's going to be very interesting. You have many 360 owners making the jump and then there will also be some PS4 owners getting an XB1 for Halo too.

gtj1092

Depends on how well the Batman PS4 will do in June in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't surpass the old maximum anytime this year if the gap doesn't hit 1 million with June's sales.

I hate saying this cliche line (haha) but it's going to be very interesting. You have many 360 owners making the jump and then there will also be some PS4 owners getting an XB1 for Halo too.

What happens after Batman?

Halo5 is October, or? So, until then PS4 should widen and widen the gap and establish a new high. After that, when the real season starts, Xbox will try to narrow it again, but this will be 1 step forward after 2 steps back I guess.
Depends on how well the Batman PS4 will do in June in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't surpass the old maximum anytime this year if the gap doesn't hit 1 million after Batman.
Holy bundle, Batman, you are right. This also.
Of course there are so many uncertainties. Add the pricedrop in the room, battlefield and the rumoured COD marketing deal. But this is exactly what I asked. What do you think?

If if all goes against Microsoft, the gap will widen even more then it was last year, and when Halo5 comes around there will be a PS4 price drop (what a nice timing this would be). And they would maybe flatline the delta for a month or two, but not gain any ground.

Holy crap the Xbox one in December and November looking at that graph holy skippers.

Also confirming my doubts of any console reaching over 250k this month. April is just too slow a month.

hawk2025

It all lays on how much of the Halo 3 magic Halo 5 can recapture.

If MCC (or just the plain 'ol passage of time) have significantly damaged the IP...

Bgamer90

Banned
What happens after Batman?

August is usually a pretty low month for console sales (under 250K). I could see MS introducing a price drop and/or cheaper SKU before the launch of Halo 5 in the Fall; Might help them get October to December for NPD (alongside Halo 5).

jayu26

August is usually a pretty low month for console sales (under 250K). I could see MS introducing a price drop and/or cheaper SKU before the launch of Halo 5 in the Fall; Might help them get October to December for NPD (alongside Halo 5).
Another one! What are they going to do in November with Black Friday and all that? Lower it again?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Halo5 is October, or? So, until then PS4 should widen and widen the gap and establish a new high. After that, when the real season starts, Xbox will try to narrow it again, but this will be 1 step forward after 2 steps back I guess.

Correct. But I'm saying that once the gap is back up to where it is, then what happens next? Will we see a repeat like last year where Xbox One sales shoot up in the holiday season. Or will PS4 be able to match/exceed.

jayu26

Correct. But I'm saying that once the gap is back up to where it is, then what happens next? Will we see a repeat like last year where Xbox One sales shoot up in the holiday season. Or will PS4 be able to match/exceed.
If Sony drops the price it should exceed Xbone sales, otherwise it will be behind it. How much depends on how crazy MS feels they want to be.

If Sony drops the price it should exceed Xbone sales, otherwise it will be behind it. How much depends on how crazy MS feels they want to be.

Also, how much panic the will be in Redmond and how much Microsoft is willing to invest in the xbox division.
Halo as THE big title is not allowed to fail. We will see a monster marketing campaign. But if they feel it is necessary to drop the price or bundle their biggest game for free in order to gain some terrain back this is depressing.

Conduit

Banned

And about Batman...

PS4 just continues to truck away; our preorder cap for the Batman bundles disappeared so friggin' fast though. Was almost comical. If the system really does get a price drop like so many are speculating, it would really be a hammer drop.

Bgamer90

Banned
Based on?

I mean, I'm sure there's some.

And that's all I said. I obviously don't know exactly how many but I wouldn't be surprised if it helps in a similar fashion to how MGS4 helped previously 360-only owners get a PS3 during its launch month.

I would say so, too. I guess many former xbox users do not miss the xbox until halo comes around. so, they might grap it when it's cheap, but keep it as their second console.

Yep, I agree. I think Halo 5 will help push some PS4 owners to get an Xbox One as a secondary "exclusive box".

And about Batman...

I don't doubt that it's doing well. Just wondering how well it will do considering it's a bundle releasing during June (a typically low month for console sales). PS4 doing 350K+ that month would be great.

Also, how much panic the will be in Redmond and how much Microsoft is willing to invest in the xbox division.
Halo as THE big title is not allowed to fail. We will see a monster marketing campaign. But if they feel it is necessary to drop the price or bundle their biggest game for free in order to gain some terrain back this is depressing.

The limited edition Halo console is confirmed, so it's impossible for them to give away the game for free for about 6 months to a year after launch.

The most they may do is buy 2 get 2 games free or something at like a target.

gtj1092

And that's all I said. I obviously don't know exactly how many but I wouldn't be surprised if it helps in a similar fashion to how MGS4 helped previously 360-only owners get a PS3 during its launch month.

Yep, I agree. I think Halo 5 will help push some PS4 owners to get an Xbox One as a secondary "exclusive box".

I don't doubt that it's doing well. Just wondering how well it will do considering it's a bundle releasing during June (a typically low month for console sales). PS4 doing 350K+ that month would be great.

Any data on how many 360 owners bought a Ps3 for MGS4?

Very bad/low/weak numbers this month.
And we will hear all the "ugh.... weak sales for the market leader..... not good... consoles dying.... if the market leader has these kind of low numbers...blablablabla doomed" stuff again.

[3DS] 135K
[PS4] 195K
[WIU] 52K
[XB1] 175K

Abdiel

Isn't MGS out in September? I know that game is cross-gen, but the marketing and if Sony sell a limited edition console here in the US, that could also cause a big upswing, though I don't know how it would stack up against Destiny.

But I have a feeling that the Batman LE consoles are going to be a major player for June. The hubub about the DLC and Season Pass on here for AK hasn't really translated to concern in store. We've still had people finding out about the LE console and coming in to ask about it, though we have to tell them it was basically gone within the first two days of in store preorders.

Bgamer90

Banned
Isn't MGS out in September? I know that game is cross-gen, but the marketing and if Sony sell a limited edition console here in the US, that could also cause a big upswing, though I don't know how it would stack up against Destiny.

It is and the game will do well but hasn't it already been confirmed that the MGSV console will only be in Japan?

But I have a feeling that the Batman LE consoles are going to be a major player for June. The hubub about the DLC and Season Pass on here for AK hasn't really translated to concern in store. We've still had people finding out about the LE console and coming in to ask about it, though we have to tell them it was basically gone within the first two days of in store preorders.

Yeah, I definitely think it may be close to a 2:1 month for the PS4 in June. I just can't really predict what the gap would be since June is usually low for console sales. "High" for June would be 300-350K for the PS4 (or more).

pixelation

It is and the game will do well but hasn't it already been confirmed that the MGSV console will only be in Japan?

Yeah, I definitely think it may be close to a 2:1 month for the PS4 in June. I just can't really predict what the gap would be since June is usually low for console sales. "High" for June would be 300-350K for the PS4 (or more).

Honest question dude, i'm not trying to start anything. But i can't help but notice a pattern in your posts in sales related threads. Is XB your preferred gaming brand?, just curious.

Chobel

They're not going to reveal the bundle (for US+EU) this early, at least they'll wait after Batman Arkham Knight bundle is released.

Bgamer90

Banned
Honest question dude, i'm not trying to start anything. But i can't help but notice a pattern in your posts in sales related threads. Is XB your preferred gaming brand?, just curious.

There are more games on the Xbox One that I'm interested in, hence why I got it over the PS4 (still need a few more exclusives to make me want to get a PS4) but I don't see what that has to do with my posts. My monthly predictions have been very similar to what other people have said and they are mostly realistic as they're based on trends from previous years.

hawk2025

If you want, calculate his predictions against the average and against actual data.

I always see these accusations in these threads. Maybe they are fair, maybe they are not -- but we LITERALLY have the data to say if people are biased (in a statistical sense) or not!

pixelation

There are more games on the Xbox One that I'm interested in, hence why I got it over the PS4 (still need a few more exclusives to make me want to get a PS4) but I don't see what that has to do with my posts. My monthly predictions have been very similar to what other people have said and they are mostly realistic as they're based on trends from previous years.

If you want, calculate his predictions against the average and against actual data.

I always see these accusations in these threads. Maybe they are fair, maybe they are not -- but we LITERALLY have the data to say if people are biased (in a statistical sense) or not!

It's perfectly fine if he prefers the XB brand, i just couldn't help but notice a pattern, not just with his predictions. Again... nothing wrong with that at all, just something that i noticed.

cakely

You have many 360 owners making the jump and then there will also be some PS4 owners getting an XB1 for Halo too.

I know no one, personally that fits that description. All the Xbox fans I know already bought an Xbox One, and most of them got it at launch.

This is anecdotal evidence, of course. I bought my Xbox One when the white Sunset Overdrive version came out.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's perfectly fine if he prefers the XB brand, i just couldn't help but notice a pattern, not just with his predictions. Again... nothing wrong with that at all, just something that i noticed.

The majority of my predictions have had the PS4 on top. Only months in which I predicted XB1 winning so far have been last December, November and March 2014.

Top Bottom