• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia now published by Ignition, coming Summer 2010

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is Xseed actually losing or choosing to let go?

duckroll said:
I guess if you're hyped about a bunch of shit, XSEED is the company for you! :lol
:lol

zoku88 said:
Cept, for you know, just having more text and needing to test that nothing goes wrong (a la NISA.)

Not counting on what XSEED may have done before they took over.

Seriously, were you saying that games were easy when there were no voices?
Okay, so let's assume Muramasa was a fantastic translation (when the best anyone could say about it is that they didn't fuck anything up majorly).

They've only done one major text focused game (comparable to ARF, at least) and it was a failure from virtually every perspective.

So they've done some fighting games, some puzzle games, a terribly translated graphic adventure, and a mildly competent sidescroller.

Man, I sure am excited they took on an RPG!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm looking forward it, it'll be my first full turn-based RPG for Wii. I hope they dub it.

duckroll

Fuu said:
Is Xseed actually losing or choosing to let go?

Considering their upcoming line up, does it make a difference? I guess there's the difference between incompetence and complete retardation...

zoku88

ShockingAlberto said:
Okay, so let's assume Muramasa was a fantastic translation (when the best anyone could say about it is that they didn't fuck anything up majorly).

They've only done one major text focused game (comparable to ARF, at least) and it was a failure from virtually every perspective.

So they've done some fighting games, some puzzle games, a terribly translated graphic adventure, and a mildly competent sidescroller.

Man, I sure am excited they took on an RPG!
I don't think the amount of text decreases accuracy.... Just increases time (or people needed)

duckroll said:
Considering their upcoming line up, does it make a difference? I guess there's the difference between incompetence and complete retardation...

:lol So negative. Can't you at least pretend like everything's going to be all right for the company? If enough people believe, maybe they won't go under.

zoku88 said:
I don't think the amount of text decreases accuracy.... Just increases time (or people needed)
Neither of which they have or take advantage of.

But in general, they're not talented localizers. They struggle to get to competency.

But hey, maybe that they're taking on so many projects, they hired some people better at their job than they are!

zoku88

ShockingAlberto said:
Neither of which they have or take advantage of.

But in general, they're not talented localizers. They struggle to get to competency.

But hey, maybe that they're taking on so many projects, they hired some people better at their job than they are!
I don't see how you can say that. I mean, I see that they messed up Lux-Pain, but what other games are examples of them "struggling to get to competency" ?

duckroll

zoku88 said:

The amount of text absolutely decreases accuracy. Most of what you actually end up seeing in a game script is not so much the initial translation, but a lot of editing. At least, that's the case for any good localization. Editing takes time, and editing corrects inaccuracies, and also puts things in proper context for more natural reading in the new language.

Even with more time, a project with more text will no doubt be at a higher risk of having things slip through the crack than a project with less text. The less material there is, the more likely nothing will get missed out or misunderstood.

ARF is a -huge- project compared to Muramasa, so Ignition had better step up their game. Not only will there be no excuse at all to not dub the game in English, but fans of the game in the US will no doubt be the same fans who have been playing Tales games, and Final Fantasy games. The expectation for a good localization is much higher, because the standard set by FFXII and ToV are extremely high.

Well Shane has claimed there will be no more horrid Lux-Pain quality translations. They're putting out Nostalgia for the DS soon. I figure we can gauge their ability to translate a full JRPG with that.

zoku88 said:
I don't see how you can say that. I mean, I see that they messed up Lux-Pain, but what other games are examples of them "struggling to get to competency" ?
They only have one text-heavy game! And it sucked!

Muramasa was a half-finished localization.

So they have two games where they actually had to do some work on the translation and fucked one up beyond recognition and just sort of hand-waved off the other one.

Volcynika

duckroll said:
ARF is a -huge- project compared to Muramasa, so Ignition had better step up their game. Not only will there be no excuse at all to not dub the game in English, but fans of the game in the US will no doubt be the same fans who have been playing Tales games, and Final Fantasy games. The expectation for a good localization is much higher, because the standard set by FFXII and ToV are extremely high.

This is correct.

GhaleonQ

Now, Duckroll, are you dismissing every Marvelous title as happenstance? Half-Minute Hero, Rune Factory stuff, and Little King's Story were guaranteed releases? Even if you hate another Lunar remake/the specific retranslation, that's awesome work on their part.

THE Caffeinated said:
Get on this.

:lol

They can't even be bothered with 5-second SNK translations. I highly doubt that they'll bring over something so awesome and labor-intensive.

zoku88

Space A Cobra said:
Well Shane has claimed there will be no more horrid Lux-Pain quality translations. They're putting out Nostalgia for the DS soon. I figure we can gauge their ability to translate a full JRPG with that.
This seems like a reasonable idea.

Macstorm

They might want to consider talking with the team at Entalize then. They (Entalize) did Muramasa's localization and I saw their name tagged on Nostalgia as well. Ignition doesn't have anyone in-house doing translation at all. Blue Dragon Plus was localized by XSEED before it was sold to Ignition.

duckroll

Macstorm said:
They might want to consider talking with the team at Entalize then. They did Muramasa's localization and I saw their name tagged on Nostalgia as well. Ignition doesn't have anyone in-house doing translation at all.

Wow that's pretty awful. Maybe they should take ARF to 8-4. That would at least ensure a standard of quality similar to Tales games in the text department. People should petition them to do it in fact!

botticus

duckroll said:
Wow that's pretty awful. Maybe they should take ARF to 8-4. That would at least ensure a standard of quality similar to Tales games in the text department. People should petition them to do it in fact!
Nobody expects the Internet Petition!

My feelings on this news will wait until I play Nostalgia. XSEED seemed to do good work with localization, but sure as hell not with time management.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Anony said:
They better!

And while they're at it they should take some notes from Konami about dubbing a game, they have the money and resources to do so... okay that's wishful thinking but they better dub it! duckroll's already pointed out the difference between the target audience for this and a game like Muramasa.

Emotions said:
Isn't Ignition also bringing Spectral Force Genesis for DS? I thought they were....
Let's hope not.

As long as it's localized i don't care who publish it.

Oh and please add english voices.

EDIT: what happens to their already released games if they go under?? will they be out of print or what?

duckroll said:

Volcynika said:
Yep. I just hope they don't try to pull the "its so Japanese we can't dub it" excuse again.

Volcynika said:
I will either dislike this or be ok with it.

Indeed this pretty much sums it up for me

Anony

well not that i'm against an english dub
i'd like to see dual audio instead of nixing the jap audio, which usually happens if there;s an english dub

MechaX

duckroll said:
No loss at all imo. Their only worthwhile existence so far has been publishing RGC. And since they passed on doing the sequel, they can close shop for all I care! :D

As long as they're handling Sky Crawlers, XSEED's continued existence is imperative. Lunar too.

MotherFan

As long as they take the time to do this right, with english VA (no buy if they skip this) and a good translation then I don't care who does this.

As for XSEED, maybe they should have spent their time (or money) on translating Muramasa and this instead of wasting it on Lunar, which did not need one.

duckroll

MechaX said:
As long as they're handling Sky Crawlers, XSEED's continued existence is imperative. Lunar too.

Well, guess what? I don't care about that game, so I still don't care if they close shop. :)

jay

ShockingAlberto said:
Ignition has yet to prove themselves not shit.

Can't see a reason to be excited about this change.

All this anti XSEED and pro Ignition stuff is hilarious. Lux Pain was barely in English and it's a fucking text adventure and pretending LKS doesn't exist is just stupid.

alanias

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
They brought us Rune Factory Frontier :mad:

It's tragic that the only company to ever successfully localize a Harvest Moon game is the one going under. Seriously, Natsume has been fucking up localizing those games for 12 years and they are doing fine.

duckroll

jay said:
All this anti XSEED and pro Ignition stuff is hilarious. Lux Pain was barely in English and it's a fucking text adventure and pretending LKS doesn't exist is just stupid.

Not sure if anyone is really pro-Ignition here...

lordmrw

duckroll said:
No loss at all imo. Their only worthwhile existence so far has been publishing RGC. And since they passed on doing the sequel, they can close shop for all I care! :D

But, but you can read japanese. What about the rest of us?

MechaX

duckroll said:
Well, guess what? I don't care about that game, so I still don't care if they close shop. :)

For someone who claims to be apathetic about XSEED's proposed games and subsequent failures, I have to ask something amid your glee. Did XSEED run over your dog or something?

zoku88

MechaX said:
For someone who claims to be apathetic about XSEED's proposed games and subsequent failures, I have to ask something amid your glee. Did XSEED run over your dog or something?
Well, if he's apathetic, it would be impossible to care if they die or live :p

duckroll

MechaX said:
For someone who claims to be apathetic about XSEED's proposed games and subsequent failures, I have to ask something amid your glee.

Now, now, I only claimed that for Lunar!

Did XSEED run over your dog or something?

No, they chose not to localize RGC2. :)

epmode said:
This isn't Yakuza.
I know where the hell is it!?

Honestly wow XSEED.

It seems XSEED is gonna be publishing Namco Bandai games, while Ignition publishes Marvelous games...

Kinda sad that we have to wait even longer for the game to come out ><;

duckroll said:
Now, now, I only claimed that for Lunar!

No, they chose not to localize RGC2. :)

The game sold like shit which is why they can't localize it. I'm sure the Japanese company that owns them told them no even if they asked about it. But still I'm sad, but I can always import the 2nd game I guess.

Akai

duckroll said:
No loss at all imo. Their only worthwhile existence so far has been publishing RGC.

But that's the crappiest game they've published...

lolsmiley.png

Top Bottom