• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcania - new gamescon trailer

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Split to its own thread. Don't just dump new media in an old unrelated thread.

Ricker

Looking forward to this,I never get tired of this genre,especially if it has the atmosphere and sense of exploring and levelling like Risen for example...

Bento

This is looking really good but I'm a bit worried about some of the things the developers have been saying during tours of the game as they seem to be putting emphasis on "streamlining" and "accessibility". Doesn't have to be a bad thing of course but what I really want right now is an old fashioned WRPG and usually the aforementioned buzzwords are rarely compatible with that.

Dennis

Banned
Yup, thats a fantasy game alright.

Generic McGeneric art aside, I hope that this is a return to form for the Gothic franchise. Hopefully, they have learned some lessens from Risen and the bugginess of Gothic 3.

One thing Gothic's always been good for is its world. I have no doubt the environments will be teeming with little nooks to explore. Overall though the trailer looked pretty average. It sucks that this is coming out within 7 days of New Vegas, because that one's gonna eat up all my Fall playtime. Maybe in the new year...

chandoog said:
fingers crossed for the quality of the 360 port.

Its going to require more than that for the 360 port to be anything other than terrible. :lol

If you're planning to get this on consoles I would recommend setting some lowered expectations, its got all the hallmarks of a crappy port from where I'm sitting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
brain_stew said:
Its going to require more than that for the 360 port to be anything other than terrible. :lol

If you're planning to get this on consoles I would recommend setting some lowered expectations, its got all the hallmarks of a crappy port from where I'm sitting.

But has there even been any console version specific preview ? I haven't read any ..

szaromir

Banned
chandoog said:
But has there even been any console version specific preview ? I haven't read any ..
Ding.

On a plus side, it also being targeted for a console means reasonable requirements on PC (unlike Gothic 3). Trailer is ok-ish, pretty standard cookie-cutter.

Ceebs

chandoog said:
Probably best to treat the console version like the PR has. Pretend it does not really exist except as a boxart at the end of a trailer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ceebs said:
Probably best to treat the console version like the PR has. Pretend it does not really exist except as a boxart at the end of a trailer.

But here's why im a bit more hopeful than the Risen case, they did delay the PS3 version citing quality reasons, so I mean that means something right ? .. PR bullcrap doesn't really cover just delaying one console version..

Yes, i'm naive. -_-

Dennis

Banned
Haha, remember how there was talk about a European and an American color palette option?

Turns out to be true - you can play with European darker, grittier colors or American Disneyworld colors :lol

Dennis

Banned
I don't know if this is the right thread for new screenshots - being the newest thread and all - but here goes.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm not sold, but I'm remaining (foolishly) optimistic. Game seems to be missing that unique element to make it stand apart from the crowd, but the screens look so nice.

thefil

Looks gorgeous. Between these screens and the Risen ones posted in the Risen 2 thread, I feel like I need to get on this bandwagon today.

pseudocaesar said:
So many decent WRPGs lately. I FUCKING LOVE IT.
Yeah me too. I'm playing Risen right now, I know I'm a year late but it's awesome. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for this. Does anyone know anything about these new devs? I know its not Pirhana Bytes this time around.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They've confirmed an Arcania demo is coming, so we'll find out soon enough if it's any good.

Seventy5

This looks pretty good to me. I have Gothic 3, but I'll be damned if I can get it to run on any PC I have. Really disappointed that the PS3 version got delayed since that's the only system I have. I sure hope Two Worlds 2 isn't shit.

big_Image00001.jpg

big_Image00002.jpg

big_Image00003.jpg

big_Image00004.jpg

big_Image00005.jpg

big_Image00006.jpg

big_Image00007.jpg

big_Image00008.jpg

big_Image00009.jpg

big_Image00010.jpg

big_Image00011.jpg

looks very good

BeeDog

I truly hope this game plays as well as the Piranha Bytes games. The above YT videos do look pretty good, but they say nothing about how the game will hold up in the long run, and just how it retains from the previous incarnations.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
BeeDog said:
I truly hope this game plays as well as the Piranha Bytes games. The above YT videos do look pretty good, but they say nothing about how the game will hold up in the long run, and just how it retains from the previous incarnations.

I don't

You know what I enjoy most about those screens? They have actual depth to them. Depth. They look completely unlike the static, painted backdrops that companies such as Bioware have fallen in love with. Long live atmosphere and detail in WRPGs.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
BeeDog said:
Aside from cumbersome controls and the (by now) ugly graphics, what do you find bad with their games? Have you played Risen?

Not too much of Risen. But I was playing Gothic 3 recently well, you probably understand by now.

I've been wanting to purchase Risen for a while now, but things (money) keep getting in the way.

Top Bottom