• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are 3D TVs and 3D console content dead?

Toki767

4K HDR is actually supposed to solve a lot of technical issues of active/passive 3D.

Sadly most 4K HDR TVs no longer include 3D unless you buy the super expensive models.

But yeah, 3D is basically dead in terms of home content.

I play a lot of things from time to time with 2D to 3D conversion turned on. Looks stunning on some games. Works well in most cases.

timmyp53

I could of gotten a 3D 4k HDR set with like 10 extra inches but it wasnt wortht the cost. 3D is on its way out. I'm actually playing Puppeteer in 3D on my 1080p tv. Good implementation but yea this tech is dead just like VR is.
on arrival

I don't think it's dead, but I think the push for 4K has sidelined 3D until they can get both technologies in at a lower price point. I'm seeing more 3D-enabled 4K TVs come out versus none (? don't quote me on that) when 4K launched.

Toki767

I don't think it's dead, but I think the push for 4K has sidelined 3D until they can get both technologies in at a lower price point. I'm seeing more 3D-enabled 4K TVs come out versus none (? don't quote me on that) when 4K launched.

Actually most manufacturers dropped 3D on their 4K TVs this year.

Most upsetting thing to me of this decade. 3D games and movies when done correctly were fucking fantastic and truly unique experiences. Now 4k blurays don't have 3d and most games don't support it now. Major buzzkill since I bought a 3d tv for games like Uncharted 3 in 3d.

Bolivar687

Banned
There's still plenty of 3D Blu Ray content and I imagine that will remain healthy as long as theatrical releases keep it but as far as gaming it probably is dead. It's a shame as Trine 2 in 3D was absolutely stunning.

Soodanim

Higher definition was always going to win over something that requires you to wear something. People want simplicity.

Not to mention that there wasn't a special push in the first place. It was high end tech with not much trickle down.

I didn't have any interest before and I wouldn't care if it went away forever. There's VR now for games and 4K>3D for video content.

platocplx

Yes its dead. It was extremely narrow for the amount of ways you could experience it especially since you needed expensive glasses for every single person in your house etc. had a high barrier of entry.

Higher definition was always going to win over something that requires you to wear something. People want simplicity.

Not to mention that there wasn't a special push in the first place. It was high end tech with not much trickle down.

I didn't have any interest before and I wouldn't care if it went away forever. There's VR now for games and 4K>3D for video content.

Bolded part refers to VR as well... (wearing it)... I am afraid VR will follow the same route as Motion Controls and 3D.

The best visual display I've ever seen in my life was Paranorman in 3d 4k at a theater in LA. Since then I've been waiting to get that at home...and nope UHD blu rays AND tv makers are denying me that.

3D is still a common feature in the projector space.

And 3D BluRay's are still being manufactured.

And a handful of recent games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider still come with native support for stereoscopic 3D on PC.

So... I guess it depends on your definition of dead? It's a niche feature that is nonetheless appreciated by a certain, relatively small market.

I like 3D, personally. It's not something I use all the time, but it's nice on occasion.

Actually most manufacturers dropped 3D on their 4K TVs this year.

Well, if that's the case, then I stand corrected, but I feel like I was just starting to see 3D 4K TVs.

Too bad if that's the case, because it was actually pretty enjoyable. I for one, love the 3DS and the illusion it creates, and now that I have a number of 3D Blu-rays, I can say I enjoy that as well.

tronic307

With the focus on 4K HDR, it's dead for now at least. LG, Sony, and Panasonic appear to be the only 3D holdouts and Panasonic seems to have withdrawn from the North American TV market entirely for 2016. PC and 3DS look like the only 3D gaming options until maybe glasses-free 3DTVs become readily available.

Cardon

I enjoyed the hell out of the 3D games I played when they first popped up at E3 a few years back. Sure, it was a bit gimmicky, but for games like Motorstorm Apocalypse it provided a cool sense of depth that actually worked in creating an atmosphere.

Zafir

I was looking at getting a new TV, and was kind of annoyed that you have to pay a large amount to get 3D now.

AgeEighty

From what I'm given to understand, Hollywood has not given up completely on 3D content for the home, it's just back-burnering it until glasses-free 3D display technology is ready for prime time, which is still some time in the future.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
How many modern PC games support a 3D mode? I'm looking to buy a 4K OLED TV with 3D support and this is something I'd like to play around with.

bennibop

Just bought civil war 3d and watch on my 4k hdr LG TV. It look phenomenal and nothing like the 3d pushed years back. The technology has only just hit the right level imo.

How many modern PC games support a 3D mode? I'm looking to buy a 4K OLED TV with 3D support and this is something I'd like to play around with.

Isn't this something that you just enable in the drivers meaning every DirectX PC game supports it?

I have an old PC so forgive my ignorance.

Zafir

Isn't this something that you just enable in the drivers meaning every DirectX PC game supports it?

I have an old PC so forgive my ignorance.

Well, theoretically yes. However, Nvidia at least, has compatibility patches which fix any issues.

In other words, if a game isn't listed as supported by Nvidia, it will probably still work, but you may experience random glitches - such as items being at the wrong depth etc.

-shadow-

For now 3D will be laying low for a while again, but it's going to be back. It's inevitable with how ridiculously much films still implement it. Shame so few games outside of the 3DS actually use it though. I freaking love it.

dcx4610

Samsung and all of the other major TV manufacturers killed 3D in 2016 which sucks because 4k is capable of the best possible 3D with passive 3D.

LG is one of the last standing. I actually enjoyed 3D but just recently bought a Samsung 4k TV and of course, no 3D. So much for all of those 3D Blu-rays I bought.

tronic307

I was looking at getting a new TV, and was kind of annoyed that you have to pay a large amount to get 3D now.
Active 3D doesn't really cost that much on the TV end; it's just a Bluetooth or IR emitter and support for 120 FPS. Passive 3D costs a bit more, with a polarized screen. It's cheap, it's just that consumers will actively seek out 2D TVs in the hope of saving money, thus making the feature less popular for the mass-market.

Jarate

Banned
Nvidia did everything in its power to shit on 3D gaming by making it so you had to pay an additional fee to get access to it. Thus, no one fucking supported it well besides a few select games. That's where it had its best chances to grow, but yeah, not a lot of games support it so ytou have to install manual fixes etc etc

spookyfish

4K HDR is actually supposed to solve a lot of technical issues of active/passive 3D.

Sadly most 4K HDR TVs no longer include 3D unless you buy the super expensive models.

But yeah, 3D is basically dead in terms of home content.

Not entirely true -- all of the LG models, which are decently priced if not the OLED displays, have passive 3D. I have a Sony 4K 55" passive 3D, and I'd like to pick up an LG 65" or larger. Active 3D, hopefully, will die a deserved death. EDIT: That's not really fair. If people like active 3D, then I hope it's available. I'm just bummed Sony went from passive to active displays. I find active to be too dark (and too expensive, as far as glasses go).

There are no 4k 3D movies... HDR is only used in 4k right now as far as I know... so no, there are no movies or games that I know of that use all 3 or even a combination if the two. On top of that, all of the 2016 Samsung 4k TVs do not support 3D. Kinda glad I got last years model that is 3D, but HDR was added via firmware update so its not as impressive as this years models I would think.

MikeyH

Neo Member
I think a huge untapped potential for 3d gaming was the ability to have 2 players playing full screen on the same tv. Black ops 2 had it. You do need special glasses but you could try it out with standard 3d glasses and have the effect by covering one eye. It blew my tiny mind but wasn't really practical to play for too long looking like a pirate.

Not entirely true -- all of the LG models, which are decently priced if not the OLED displays, have passive 3D. I have a Sony 4K 55" passive 3D, and I'd like to pick up an LG 65" or larger. Active 3D, hopefully, will die a deserved death. EDIT: That's not really fair. If people like active 3D, then I hope it's available. I'm just bummed Sony went from passive to active displays. I find active to be too dark (and too expensive, as far as glasses go).

Hopefully LG continues to support 3D in OLEDs, I think passive 3D is far more practical. Also 3D blurays aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I tried watching Civil War in 3D yesterday... only to realize the batteries in both pairs of glasses were dead. :/

For now 3D will be laying low for a while again, but it's going to be back. It's inevitable with how ridiculously much films still implement it. Shame so few games outside of the 3DS actually use it though. I freaking love it.

You can get almost every new movie that comes out on Bluray in 3d so i don't think it's dead just taking a backseat to 4k HDR. When implemented right and on the right tv it's great. i especially love Trine in 3d.

Slaythe

VR is incomparable to 3D.

3D was a shitty gimmick nobody asked for.

VR technology is only starting, a perfected VR is gonna be a revolution of the industry.

Only people that haven't tested it properly to see its potential can say it's dead on arrival.

It might die because PsVR is shit and the others too expensive, but in ten years it will still be around and more affordable.

Miyahon

Seems it was pushed on the PS3 and major titles from Sony had the feature and now nothing after the PS4 was released. I enjoyed playing those 3D titles especially Uncharted 3 and would have been nice to play it again on the PS4 in 3D

Top Bottom