• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are 3D TVs and 3D console content dead?

I really need to get one of those passive 3D sets one of these days. I did enjoy the 3D effects in the latest Ghostbusters movie. They did some cool things with extending the image beyond the aspect ratio. When done right 3D content can be fun.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Does anyone here have experience playing PC games in 3D?

There's still plenty of 3D Blu Ray content and I imagine that will remain healthy as long as theatrical releases keep it but as far as gaming it probably is dead. It's a shame as Trine 2 in 3D was absolutely stunning.

3D blu ray is definitely still a thing. Every time I go to Best Buy to pick up a new release the 3D is the first to go (and never 4K). TMNT 2 and Warcraft were brilliant in 3D and I'm excited to check out Ghostbusters Xmen and Tarzan.

Also I prefer active to passive fwiw.

Does anyone here have experience playing PC games in 3D?

I tried playing a bit of WoW on my laptop that supports 3D. I didn't really like it. In a game where you have to concentrate so much and do quick sweeping movements it made my head spin. I'm sure it works better with games that have fixed camera angles.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but that's way short sighted. There's a huge difference between shitty TV 3D effect and what those VR headsets are doing. The price needs to (and will, IMO) come down, but they're not going away. They're getting it right for the first time.

True. But with so many Joe Schmoes ditching, or never getting into 3D, due to not wanting to hassle with the glasses, VR will probably be an even tougher sell outside the tech geek crowd.

Especially for movies, TV, sports etc. that people like to watch socially vs. everyone with their own headset. I know they're working on social VR stuff, but it's just not as conducive as sitting around a room pounding some beers and watching whatever with friends and family.

And that's the mainstream market for TV, movies etc. that will be more key to VRs success than games and experiences.

3D blu ray is definitely still a thing. Every time I go to Best Buy to pick up a new release the 3D is the first to go (and never 4K). TMNT 2 and Warcraft were brilliant in 3D and I'm excited to check out Ghostbusters Xmen and Tarzan.

But there's also weird shit like Jungle Book not having a 3D Bluray. Though maybe it will come months later like with The Force Awakens 3D Bluray finally coming out next month.

Dio

Banned
I tried going to 3D versions of movies and being thoroughly disappointed in what were essentially movies with goofy gimmick pop ups like a theme park ride. I no longer go to them and get the 2D if I can. When it's not a distracting experience that makes me remember I'm watching a movie maybe I'll try it again.

nynt9

Just like VR, it's eventually going to be the norm. It's just a matter of when. It might have been tabled until technology and content improves.

Krakatoa

I'd say its still around for Movies, as for Games I think it may pop again next gen when they are more powerful.

I will say Passive 3D on my 4K TV is amazing. I think people got burned by active shutter due to the price of them, and having to charge your glasses for use.

GuyKazama

Sony and LG 4k HDR TVs still support 3D. If Cameron hypes it again, the public may ask for it. The tech is fairly mature, so I doubt it would cost much to toss it back in if people want it.

Jedi2016

I still buy all my Blu-rays in 3D. It's a shame that devs stopped supporting it. There's a handful of titles out there that are pretty amazing in 3D.

Krakatoa, what kind of TV do you have? I will eventually have to upgrade to 4K/HDR, but I don't want to give up my 3D, especially passive (my current TV is passive, too).

The other benefit of having a passive TV, particularly like the LG model I have, is that the glasses are compatible with RealD 3D in the theater. So I can take my own glasses, which are lighter and clearer than the shit ones they hand out at the cinema. Much better experience.

I have 4K Active Samsung 3D (last model to have 3D/4K). Looks fucking amazing. Much better than theaters.

Honestly if I had to chose between 3D and 4K for a blu ray I'll almost always take 3D. Maybe my eyes just aren't as good as they used to be, but the bump in resolution never impresses me like the picture window effect created by a good 3D transfer. TMNT 2 has this in spades.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly if I had to chose between 3D and 4K for a blu ray I'll almost always take 3D. Maybe my eyes just aren't as good as they used to be, but the bump in resolution never impresses me like the picture window effect created by a good 3D transfer. TMNT 2 has this in spades.

Yeah, I have zero interest in 4K. Just no desire to clutter up a room with a huge TV (55" is plenty for me), or sit way closer, for my aging eyes to tell a difference.

I mean sure, when my TVs die I'll probably get a 4K. They're relatively new so that's probably all that will be around when they kick the bucket (or maybe even a higher resolution if they last a long time). But I don't even have the slightest temptation to upgrade to a 4K while my 1080p sets are working fine.

Pavaloo

I frequently use 3D Vision. Anything in particular you're wondering?

How do you enable it?

I just recently got a GTX card and signed up for 3D play, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to enable it :( I have 3D monitors (playstation 3dtvs), but whenever I go to the Control Panel and enable stereo 3D the box gets clicked and nothing really happens outside of that. Is there a hot key combo I should be pressing when launching my games?

Just you wait until the next Avatar comes out, it's gonna be smashing! Records will be broken! 3D hysteria will sweep the globe once more!

I haven't even seen anyone use the 3D TV option once outside of a store environment.

How do you enable it?

I just recently got a GTX card and signed up for 3D play, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to enable it :( I have 3D monitors (playstation 3dtvs), but whenever I go to the Control Panel and enable stereo 3D the box gets clicked and nothing really happens outside of that. Is there a hot key combo I should be pressing when launching my games?
I can't give much help here. I have a TV with passive 3D, so I use a workaround that tricks the driver into thinking it's a passive monitor NVIDIA supported.

Once it's working, though, it _should_ start up with compatible games by default. In NVIDIA Control Panel's 3D area you can set keyboard shortcuts for things like toggling it off and on, but if it's not on to begin with it won't have anything to toggle.

I'm about to start trying 3D out on my Epson HomeCinema 2030 projector after owning it for two years. LOL. It uses 3LCD technology unlike most DLP projectors and accepts Side-by-Side Format when I use TriDef with it to play PC games in 3D. I will be getting cheaper Samsung active shutter glasses tomorrow that are compatible with the projector. The only real testing I have done so far is to see if 3D content will display properly on my projector, which I did get to work with my PC and my PS4.

For games and content that don't support 3D at all, I bought an old 2d to 3d converter box from monoprice (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E2XL46/?tag=neogaf0e-20) which supports side by side format. I know it won't be nearly as good as native 3d content, but it will be decent for me, at least.

Wiped89

I LOVE 3D. Ever since I got a 4K TV, an unexpected bonus has been the 3D content. It looks really, really good. It's like a giant 3DS with no crosstalk and everywhere is the 'sweet spot'. It adds such a depth and richness to every picture that resolution increases alone simply cannot. I prefer it over 4K, honestly.

3D content may not be massive in the mainstream any more but lots of Blurays still release in 3D and I buy every Bluray of films I want in 3D to support the format. It must be doing okay, because I can still buy 3D films in my local DVD store and supermarkets.

mario_O

Well, James Cameron is working on Avatar 2 and 3. So I expect 3D to be mainstream again, at least in theaters. But I imagine they will also want to sell blu rays.

Smokey

Last gen was way too premature for 3D. The horse power wasn't there. I think it may have been a different story this gen, but it's ded. It's a shame. Some of the 3D experiences I've had on my PC were jaw dropping amazing.

MCN

Banned
Were they ever alive? I have a 3D TV and I've used the 3D function for a grand total of 10 minutes.

xevis

Banned
Laugh out loud. I'm going to actually say the complete opposite, I say the next 5 to 6 years the number one selling game that year will be a VR game. See you in 2021-22.

You don't think Nausea 2017 has a shot? I'm thinking with a strong sales surge for the holidays, we could all be vomiting by Christmas!

jett

D-Member
The only 3D gaming you'll be getting for the foreseeable future will be in VR... and we'll see how the current incarnation of that lasts.

I thought it was just Samsung.

Vizio did it too believe. There's just no public interest, so they cut it to save costs.

pswii60

The only 3D gaming you'll be getting for the foreseeable future will be in VR... and we'll see how the current incarnation of that lasts.

Vizio did it too believe. There's just no public interest, so they cut it to save costs.
Ah, there's no Vizio in Europe. To be fair, 3D is shit on LCD anyway.

True Fire

What's the resolution ceiling, 12K? We're going to hit diminishing returns within the decade, and 3D with lifelike resolutions and HDR is going to be even more appealing (and expensive) than ever.

naitosan

That's really too bad as I really enjoy watching movies or play games in 3D. But in overtime, I tend to prefer watching or play games in 1080p/4k for best image quality.

But still hope 3D trend will continue.

tr1p1ex

3d games are alive on the 3ds. But not enough care even if you don't have to wear glasses.

Problems are that 3d is more tiring on the eyes. And it uses more horsepower. YOu can always make games look nicer by not going 3d. 3d costs more too at least in movies. Probably in games too.

And really the effect sort of wears off after awhile. You become de-sensitized to it.

onQ123

Z3M0G

When key Blu-ray movies started releasing without a 3D option I knew it was dead...

Sad. I love 3D. But it is VR's turn.

weekev

Banned
Most upsetting thing to me of this decade. 3D games and movies when done correctly were fucking fantastic and truly unique experiences. Now 4k blurays don't have 3d and most games don't support it now. Major buzzkill since I bought a 3d tv for games like Uncharted 3 in 3d.
Yep, I loved Uncharted 3 in 3D. Incredible experience. Now even The Force Awakens isn't even out on 3D yet.

low-G

VR is incomparable to 3D.

3D was a shitty gimmick nobody asked for.

VR technology is only starting, a perfected VR is gonna be a revolution of the industry.

Only people that haven't tested it properly to see its potential can say it's dead on arrival.

It might die because PsVR is shit and the others too expensive, but in ten years it will still be around and more affordable.

"It might die in 10 years but in 200 years when everyone has a neural implant..."

onQ123

Glasses free 3D in home TV would be here by now if anyone cared.

Fake_ca200e_5364530.gif

Just give it time PS4 Pro & Scorpio or PS5 & the Next Box could take advantage of the fact that everyone doesn't have 4K yet & use the extra power to fake 3D on none 3D TVs

Top Bottom