• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are current PC games a full "Generational Leap" ahead of current console games?

I think Witcher 2/Battlefield 3 could be the standard looking next gen game for fps/action rpg. Heavily modded console ports can look pretty awesome on pc, too.

crysis22012-01-0902-235kpd.png

1o04aq.png

www.youtube.com/watch?v=APogte9jYKw
To tell the truth I think that there is little diference in 1080p to 720p.
AndHereWeGo.gif

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
With higher res textures, higher polycounts, better physics, multiple dx11 level effects and enhancements, over-hd res, higher fov and 60+ fps, yeah, they are. That doesn't mean that's the best that level hardware can do, they're still crippled by budgets, support for lower end hardware or multiplatform intentions, etc. It doesn't even mean they'll be the best looking games to you since art means so much to one's taste. Just that the downports to console would or already have to be that much inferior all things considered with so much missing eye candy, low res, lack of physics fluff, sub par frame rates, etc. Most of it obvious in footage and in person. More or less like MW3 Wii vs 360. Having the same game and gameplay doesn't make it of the same gen in terms of hardware capabilities.

Image quality is the biggest single advantage that PC games enjoy over their console bretherin. The Witcher 2 still looks good on 360 (from what we've seen anyway). Crysis 2 looks good on consoles. BF3 still looks good on Consoles. The sort of difference we see between console and PC games is not in the same league as the mind-blowing differences we saw from past generational changes - PS to PS2, XBOX to XBOX 360. Whether the differences present qualify as a "generational leap" or not depends on the eye of the person judging it. On a purely technical level, the graphics cards, CPUs and main memory blows consoles away.

I expect that once we start seeing actual next-generation consoles, the PC side of things will pick up dramatically and start taking better advantage of the feature-set that already exists in modern gaming PCs.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I compared Mirror's Edge Ps3 demo to my 2008 PC back in the day on the same monitor at the same time, and the difference was almost as pronounced as, lets say MW Ps3 and MW Wii.

QuIXe.jpg

Now imagine that at locked at 60fps with enhanced physics effects.

Trokil

Banned
I am playing Skyrim on my PC with all the high res textures and the high res fauna, clothing, faces, hair packs installed. I played it on a PS3 at a friends house and I thought I was playing a different game.

The difference is huge.

rdrr gnr

It's totally unimaginable to think of a game experience like MGS 3 or San Andreas running on a PS1. It's completely unthinkbable to imagine, say, the Assassin's Creed engine running on a PS2, no matter how much you reduced the graphics. Each gen seems to have brought new gaming experiences that were essentially impossible on previous hardware.

I'm interpreting the OP very literally -- a strict 'generational' leap. As in, a game would lose its essence in the transition to a less powerful platform. That's why I think no PC game truly qualifies as a 'generation' ahead. Metro and BF3 are already on consoles, and Witcher 2 is coming. Do these games have substantive differences across platforms? Yes. Is the absolute fundamental core experience compromised by its transition to consoles? No. Compare that to, say, taking Assassin's Creed and putting it on the PS2? I just don't see how you can draw the equivalency honestly.

A resounding, "yes."

Completely disregard the graphical improvements for a moment, and just consider how different the maps and sizes are, in addition to the number of players and greatly improved sound. A world of difference.
I'm not denying differences exist. Obviously the hardware limits the # of players and map size, but is the core of BF3 a generation behind the PS3? As in, is a 24 man OP Metro match on PC a generation ahead of a 24 man OP Metro match on consoles? Is a 64 man OP Firestorm match on PC to a 24 man OP Firestorm match on console as Killzone 1 is to Killzone 2?

Erethian

Eventually Sony is going to want some kind of return on their investment with the Playstation hardware and games. They're not doing as well as Microsoft financially and need to be much smarter about how they spend their money.

Yeah losing billions of dollars that you'll never hope to make back over the lifetime of the generation tends to be a humbling experience.

Almighty

Off the top of my head I want to say Shogun 2: Total War. Individually the samurai models are pretty good in my opinion. You then times that by 1000+, make them fight it out on screen then on top of that add in little stuff. Stuff like arrows getting stuck in the ground/units, if you have the Blood Pack DLC them and the ground getting covered in blood, limbs and what not being chopped off, etc and it becomes pretty damn impressive.

So I would say Shogun 2 is a generational leap from what the consoles are able to do.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Off the top of my head I want to say Shogun 2: Total War. Individually the samurai models are pretty good in my opinion. You then times that by 1000+, make them fight it out on screen then on top of that add in little stuff. Stuff like arrows getting stuck in the ground/units, if you have the Blood Pack DLC them and the ground getting covered in blood, limbs and what not being chopped off, etc and it becomes pretty damn impressive.

So I would say Shogun 2 is a generational leap from what the consoles are able to do.

this is a good post.

truth actually.

LQX

This statement makes no sense. Gears 3 is a remarkably ugly game, even for a console game.

This statement makes no sense...then have the nerve to then say "Gears 3 is a remarkably ugly game, even for a console game"? Either you have not played the game or you're damn liar. Get your eyes checked.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Due to games being designed with consoles in mind, we don't really know what unfettered PC hardware can do outside of hints like the map size while maintaining image quality in BF3 on PC.

What will be interesting to see, is what happens to games that depend heavily on stuff like streaming worlds, AI, and physics, once the next gen of consoles raises the populist baseline for game development.

Imagine quality and textures are nice, but I feel too much of a big deal is made over them; despite some snobbish attitudes, the textures and such in better console games don't look BAD. It's just that the PC equivalent looks that much better. It is a reason why many people aren't impressed by the siren call of PC... because the games are usually (usually) not better in terms of the technology that actually makes a better game, not just pretty still shots.

Pranay

Only real good post now which makes a lot of sense.

at topic

no,

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, 2.4 m (8 feets I think)

I can see the diference but I don´t think it is big.

I think you're crazy or have really poor eyesight.

I set around 7 feet from my 47" television and the difference is huge. No question.

Uncharted 3 can look amazing at times, but it's also a low-res jagged mess with some really muddy textures in places and is in dire need of some anisotropic filtering.

I have my PC hooked up to the same television and, for fun, have compared friends' console copies of Skyrim (360), Saints Row the Third (360), Arkham City (PS3), Battlefield 3 (360) and a few others side by side. We'd go to the same area in both versions and then switch back and for between inputs, and there's no confusing which is which. The PC versions of all of those games running at max settings, 1920x1080 and a bit of anti-aliasing makes such a huge difference.

It's so massive that I can't help but think anyone who claims otherwise has never actually seen the difference, or has incredibly poor eyesight.

Pranay

If Image Quality [res and aa] makes really huge difference for people here then i guess they can expect a lot from next gen.

Even though PC games looks great , i dont find a generation leap difference now.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
With museman logic current consoles aren't a generation ahead of the last as gta3 is close to 4 in all but graphics and some design decisions and mgs3 is close to 4 and gow3 is close to 2 and uncharted is close to tomb raider and skyrim is close to morrowind and re5 is close to 4 and cod2 is close to mw3 etc. Assassin's Creed could have indeed been done in a gta3-like engine, or like the spiderman games. There are always points that allow for more pronounced differences, such as the leap to 3d, that doesn't mean there weren't generational leaps be4 and after because you can get similar or identical gameplay in either when it's designed that way. Hell bf1942 or 2 and 2142 are a lot like 3. Duh, they have a fanbase to please. That doesn't make 3 as is possible on the same hardware hence the huge gap in the downports which you wanna downplay.

Frankfurt

Banned
Nope.

If you play the same game at your 1080p TV on PC and PS360, sitting 8 feet away (as i play every game), the difference is just not there. The only people who would brag about it would be PC gamers playing both on a desk, on their monitor. Nobody but hardcore PC fans play games on their desks, which is why their comments on graphics-related threads are always so baffling.

rdrr gnr

I'd argue yes.
I'd have to disagree.

The posts below get across my general sentiment.

Due to games being designed with consoles in mind, we don't really know what unfettered PC hardware can do outside of hints like the map size while maintaining image quality in BF3 on PC.

What will be interesting to see, is what happens to games that depend heavily on stuff like streaming worlds, AI, and physics, once the next gen of consoles raises the populist baseline for game development.

Imagine quality and textures are nice, but I feel too much of a big deal is made over them; despite some snobbish attitudes, the textures and such in better console games don't look BAD. It's just that the PC equivalent looks that much better. It is a reason why many people aren't impressed by the siren call of PC... because the games are usually (usually) not better in terms of the technology that actually makes a better game, not just pretty still shots.

Image quality is the biggest single advantage that PC games enjoy over their console bretherin. The Witcher 2 still looks good on 360 (from what we've seen anyway). Crysis 2 looks good on consoles. BF3 still looks good on Consoles. The sort of difference we see between console and PC games is not in the same league as the mind-blowing differences we saw from past generational changes - PS to PS2, XBOX to XBOX 360. Whether the differences present qualify as a "generational leap" or not depends on the eye of the person judging it. On a purely technical level, the graphics cards, CPUs and main memory blows consoles away.

I expect that once we start seeing actual next-generation consoles, the PC side of things will pick up dramatically and start taking better advantage of the feature-set that already exists in modern gaming PCs.

Substantive differences (especially with BF3) but not generational.

Rpgmonkey

If the Witcher 2 at 1080p with everything besides maybe Ubersampling maxed/enabled is an example of what at least an early next-gen game would look like, I wouldn't be mad.

TheExodu5

Banned
This statement makes no sense...then have the nerve to then say "Gears 3 is a remarkably ugly game, even for a console game"? Either you have not played the game or you're damn liar. Get your eyes checked.

geow3.jpg

Gears 2 looked better, even. The aliasing is really bad, and essentially outweighs any updates they made to the lighting engine.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
If you play the same game at your 1080p TV on PC and PS360, sitting 8 feet away (as i play every game), the difference is just not there.

I find it hard to believe you've done this given the amount of tears I see you spill in threads about PC gaming.

1080p is far beyond 720p no matter where you sit. Anyone who says otherwise has never seen a proper comparison or is lying to make themselves feel better about whatever console they've dedicated themselves to.

Nope.

If you play the same game at your 1080p TV on PC and PS360, sitting 8 feet away (as i play every game), the difference is just not there. The only people who would brag about it would be PC gamers playing both on a desk, on their monitor. Nobody but hardcore PC fans play games on their desks, which is why their comments on graphics-related threads are always so baffling.

Dynamic lighting mang.

TheExodu5

Banned
1080p is far beyond 720p no matter where you sit. Anyone who says otherwise has never seen a proper comparison or is lying to make themselves feel better about whatever console they've dedicated themselves to.

It depends entirely on the distance of your screen vs. your viewing distance. If you're viewing 1080p from 10+ feet away on a 50" screen, yeah it might not make a big difference. If you're sitting ~5-6 feet away, it's going to make an enormous difference.

I sit about 2.5' away from a 32" screen, so 1080p is incredibly beneficial. 1440p would be even nicer, though I can't quite justify the expense for such a display yet (nor the rendering performance cost).

STANKYJ

Neo Member
Outside of hardware.
The ability to pay a reasonable price and download at the moment of launch may not be a generational leap but its certainly a huge step.

Zimbardo

aside from the lower resolution on consoles ...the biggest thing that hurts them is the 30 frames per second ...or, in most cases, less.

the movement is pretty bad at that framerate versus 60fps or higher.

that's probably the thing that bugs me the most with consoles is that you don't get that nice fuild movement that you can get on PC.

oh, and most console games have a ton of screen tearing ...i hate that, too. the ability to turn on vsync for every PC game is another huge advantage, imo.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It depends entirely on the distance of your screen vs. your viewing distance. If you're viewing 1080p from 10+ feet away on a 50" screen, yeah it might not make a big difference. If you're sitting ~5-6 feet away, it's going to make an enormous difference.

I sit 8.5ft away from my 42" screen and can easily see the difference. Bumping the res down to 720p is like applying a blurry filter over everything.

Fjordson

Most games don't look like it to me, but the hardware is certainly that far ahead. And like others have said, when a dev goes all in on taking advantage of PC hardware then it does feel like a generational leap.

I don't personally game on a PC, but I've watched a friend play The Witcher 2 maxed out and my jaw was stuck to the floor.

TheExodu5

Banned
I sit 8.5ft away from my 42" screen and can easily see the difference. Bumping the res down to 720p is like applying a blurry filter over everything.

I did say might. :p

Depends entirely on your eyesight and how sensitive you are to these kinds of things.

LQX

geow3.jpg

Gears 2 looked better, even. The aliasing is really bad, and essentially outweighs any updates they made to the lighting engine.

Now post a scan of the polygraph test showing you are not a liar and also a scan of your eye exam test. Gears 3 is one of the best looking games to date. You posting a picture of the box does not disprove this.

TheExodu5

Banned
Now post a scan of the polygraph test showing you are not a liar and also a scan of your eye exam test. Gears 3 is one of the best looking games to date. You posting a picture of the box does not disprove this.

I do believe having poor eyesight would make this game look better since the aliasing is so awful.

I did get 20/10 on my driving exam at 16 years of age. I don't think I'm quite 20/10 still, but my eyesight is not in question.

You got me though. I'm just lying. I think Gears 3 is the jaggiest, juiciest, and brownest looking game ever made, and I just love that.

Loxley

BF3 running on Ultra is the only thing out there right now that I'd say is a generation ahead of what modern consoles are capable of, visually speaking. As far as gameplay goes? No, we have yet to get a game that can only be played on a powerhouse PC and not on consoles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
you guys posting pics of bf3 and witcher 2 are proving the op's point.

ps i play bf3 on my pc :p

Who is doing that?

All I see are two screenshots of Crysis 2, one of Mirror's Edge, and a photo of Exodu5's Gears 3 box.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you either have atrocious vision, sit way too far from your TV or want to just live in denial about the difference between 30 and 60 fps and 720p and 1080p+, then no they are not.

The Textures alone in the Witcher 2 would crush an Xbox or Ps3... The amount of love and detail in that game... just is unending...

You are impressed at first checking out the screen shot... then you are impressed more when you play it on a plasma screen in real time...

then you take the time to look further, at every damn detail and EVERY SINGLE ONE is absolutely stunning... every fucking rain drop and every distant pool of water in a swamp has proper reflections and motion...

IrishNinja

I do believe having poor eyesight would make this game look better since the aliasing is so awful.

I did get 20/10 on my driving exam at 16 years of age. I don't think I'm quite 20/10 still, but my eyesight is not in question.

You got me though. I'm just lying. I think Gears 3 is the jaggiest, juiciest, and brownest looking game ever made, and I just love that.

gonna need pictures of you with your ophthalmologist, both showing 2 forms of government ID please

Top Bottom