• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are my PS4 saves lost forever? ;(

Recently I bought a new LG oled tv to see what all the HDR fuss was about since I have a PS4 pro.
When I connected it to the television via the HDMI cable I would get a signal and it would randomly show static on the screen and then it would say the signal was lost and then the screen would show nothing.
I kept unplugging my PS4 pro from the power cord to restart it since I thought it was the console that had stopped responding and then it got into a cycle where it started rebooting itself over and over. I eventually managed to get out of the loop and booted it into safe mode and selected rebuild database and the signal dropped out again. So I unplugged it again and now it says "cannot access system storage" and I can't even boot into safe mode anymore.
Long story short I discovered the reason for the signal dropouts was because I had turned on the "deep colour" option on my tv and that was what was causing the signal dropouts since the HDMI wasn't compatible with that option.
My question is
Did I physically damage the hard drive by turning off the console from the PowerPoint while it was rebuilding the database?
I hadn't backed up my save files on USB or on the cloud. Is there any way to recover them or are they gone forever? If anyone has had any similar experiences would appreciate the feedback!
(Mah 100s of hours of Persona 5, Witcher 3, FFXV saves ;( )

Why did you not used the cloud? It's completely automatic.

It's almost as questionable as when someone got hacked and haven't used 2 step.

Toe-Knee

Sounds like you have screwed the hard drive up.

You could try installing it on a PC and running a repair program but you could just put a new drive in and reinstall the firmware too.

With regards to your save files if you have plus they automatically backup to the cloud.

Why did you not used the cloud? It's completely automatic.

It's almost as questionable as when someone got hacked and haven't used 2 step.

I don't have ps plus. Also I never really thought I would ever get into a situation like this so I never gave it much thought.

Mediking

I kept unplugging my PS4 pro from the power cord to restart it since I thought it was the console that had stopped responding and then it got into a cycle where it started rebooting itself over and over. I eventually managed to get out of the loop and booted it into safe mode and selected rebuild database and the signal dropped out again. So I unplugged it again and now it says "cannot access system storage" and I can't even boot into safe mode anymore.

Ummmm..... yikes

WoolyNinja

If the operating system is screwed and you hadn't backed up the saves to the cloud you may be out of luck. If you have PS+ though I recommend starting to back up the saves to the cloud. With one setting you can have the saves upload to the cloud automatically. Mine seems to happen over night everyday.

EDIT: Ah, you answered it after I started typing this post - no PS+ - darn.

Before you completely give up - maybe I missed it but did you try doing another "Rebuild Database" from the safe boot menu?

Also I never really thought I would ever get into a situation like this so I never gave it much thought.

Hard drives fail - like a lot. Even SSDs can fail. Always back up and always assume the hard drive can have problems.

Sounds like you have screwed the hard drive up.

You could try installing it on a PC and running a repair program but you could just put a new drive in and reinstall the firmware too.

With regards to your save files if you have plus they automatically backup to the cloud.

I have a new drive already and that isn't a problem. I just don't want to lose the save files. Any tips on what repair program I could use?

If the operating system is screwed and you hadn't backed up the saves to the cloud you may be out of luck. If you have PS+ though I recommend starting to back up the saves to the cloud. With one setting you can have the saves upload to the cloud automatically. Mine seems to happen over night everyday.

Before you completely give up - maybe I missed it but did you try doing another "Rebuild Database" from the safe boot menu?

I can't even get into safe mode now. It says cannot access system storage so it looks like the system isn't detecting the hard drive. Surely if it was an OS corruption issue it would at least give me the option to initialise the console and reinstall new firmware?

WHY WOULD YOU TURN OFF A MACHINE BY PULLING THE PLUG EVER.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As I said in my post I thought the PS4 was malfunctioning since it would display something on the screen and then the signal would drop out. It wasn't until everything was said and done that I found out it was a problem with the HDMI cable.

Toe-Knee

I have a new drive already and that isn't a problem. I just don't want to lose the save files. Any tips on what repair program I could use?

I can't help you there beyond seeing if Windows recognised it and running the built in repair option.

Edit: actually don't do that I think that Windows won't see it due to the filesystem.

Sorry I can't be of more help

If you pulled it while rebuilding the database - you more than likely lost everything. If it's anything like the Vita the handling of save data and stuff in general is tied to that database being intact and if it's even slightly messed up it will break everything but in this case the OS isn't even booting so try running a firmware update from USB?

As I said in my post I thought the PS4 was malfunctioning since it would display something on the screen and then the signal would drop out. It wasn't until everything was said and done that I found out it was a problem with the HDMI cable.

I can understand doing it once, but you kept doing it?

You were just asking for trouble.

No idea if this is possible, but if you have a desktop PC, you can try plugging in your HDD to it and see if you can access the files from it. That is assuming it isn't completely corrupted.

If you pulled it while rebuilding the database - you more than likely lost everything. If it's anything like the Vita the handling of save data and stuff in general is tied to that database being intact and if it's even slightly messed up it will break everything but in this case the OS isn't even booting so try running a firmware update from USB?

Argh. Well there's no option to even run a firmware update from the USB since it gets stuck on the "cannot access system storage" screen and I can't do anything from there.

Bankai

try to rebuild your database:

Put your PS4 in safe mode
1. Connect the USB to your PS4.
2. If your PS4 is on, switch it off. If the power indicator is lit up in orange (rest mode), hold the power button until you hear the system beep for a second time.
3. Your PS4 now boots up in safe mode. Select Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software).

safe_mode_ps4_sony.jpg

True Fire

My eyebrows are past my hair line. What a story.

I'm not a fan of victim blaming, so I'm not going to do that. I just hope this can be a learning opportunity for people.

Rellik

try to rebuild your database:

Put your PS4 in safe mode
1. Connect the USB to your PS4.
2. If your PS4 is on, switch it off. If the power indicator is lit up in orange (rest mode), hold the power button until you hear the system beep for a second time.
3. Your PS4 now boots up in safe mode. Select Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software).

safe_mode_ps4_sony.jpg

He said he can no longer access safe mode.

They're gone.

That's why you use the cloud.

If your PS4 console isn't showing anything on the screen and not turning off from the power button (just beeps three times) how else was I supposed to reboot it?

Did you try holding the power button down? Hold it for 7 seconds and it will force the PS4 to shut off.

And if you REALLY want your saves back, you can attempt to recover them through a PC if possible as I mentioned above. Well assuming safe mode really isn't working for you (though it should).

My eyebrows are past my hair line. What a story.

I'm not a fan of victim blaming, so I'm not going to do that. I just hope this can be a learning opportunity for people.

Yeah I learned a harsh lesson that's for sure. If I hadn't selected the "deep colour" option on my TV none of this would have happened. It's weird how little things like that can escalate.

Did you try holding the power button down? Hold it for 7 seconds and it will force the PS4 to shut off.

I honestly can't remember now. I thought that was the way to get into safe mode. I'm trying not to come across as salty but the PS4 power button design is terrible when you have to YouTube something as simple as how to turn the console on or off.

RCU005

It seems the problem was with the TV, but you assumed that it was the PS4 Pro, for some reason. Your mistake was getting desperate, instead of having patience and figure it out byresearch or by reading the manual.

When you buy a new product, it's better to do some research and investigate what the problem is, instead of just assuming things and get out of control.

I think I would rebuild databse! WAIT until it finishes and see if that works out without damaging your save files. If not, I think they are lost. So, I would reset the PS4 and start over.

Don't get desperate again. Hope you learn that from this experience.

Yeah I learned a harsh lesson that's for sure. If I hadn't selected the "deep colour" option on my TV none of this would have happened. It's weird how little things like that can escalate.

What exact TV do you have? It should have definitely been able to use deep color since it is required for HDR. There should have been absolutely zero issues with the display and especially not enough for the console to freak out. Can you specify what HDMI cable you've been using?

Brhoom

Banned
It happened with me and I always turn it off by controller or presing the button on the console.

Fuck paying for PS+. My PS4 is a dust collectting machine for ruining my Resi 7 saves.

I kept unplugging my PS4 pro from the power cord to restart it since I thought it was the console that had stopped responding and then it got into a cycle where it started rebooting itself over and over.

giphy.gif

Fuck paying for PS+. My PS4 is a dust collectting machine for ruining my Resi 7 saves.

Not that big of a deal to be honest, RE7 is a short game and it is extremely fun to replay. I think you should just replay it.

What exact TV do you have? It should have definitely been able to use deep color since it is required for HDR. There should have been absolutely zero issues with the display and especially not enough for the console to freak out. Can you specify what HDMI cable you've been using?

I bought an LG C7. When I turned the deep colour option off on the tv I found the signal dropouts stopped. Also when I used the stock drive on the pro I found that it says it is only displaying in 2K HDR and may be compatible with 4K HDR. I was talking to a tech person and they told me the HDMI cable I'm using may have 2.0 limitations and turning it off limits the bandwidth to 1.4 and that's why the dropouts may have stopped.

Toe-Knee

There's a bug in some older tv firmwares that makes the hdmi handshake fail under certain circumstances unless you disable hdcp in safe mode.

NewDust

Have you reseated the HDD? I might be screwed, but it also may have come loose by all that powercord yanking you did.

m@cross

Your Pro worked fine.
You bought a new TV.
The signal seemed to not work anymore.
Next step, pull power chord repeatedly?

I don't have ps plus. Also I never really thought I would ever get into a situation like this so I never gave it much thought.

I don't think I will ever come in the situation that i get robbed at home or that my home burns completely to the ground but nonetheless does I have an insurance.

PS Plus costs around 40-50$ a year, gives you free games every month, gives you multiplayer, massive discounts in the store and cloud saves, just use it. There is no reason for not using it.

But, sorry to hear, hope it's not lost completely.

I bought an LG C7. When I turned the deep colour option off on the tv I found the signal dropouts stopped. Also when I used the stock drive on the pro I found that it says it is only displaying in 2K HDR and may be compatible with 4K HDR. I was talking to a tech person and they told me the HDMI cable I'm using may have 2.0 limitations and turning it off limits the bandwidth to 1.4 and that's why the dropouts may have stopped.

Yup, that is definitely what happened.

Do you have the 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color' setting turned on? It is required in order to use HDR at 4K on your TV.

Rtings has a settings guide here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

Go to the HDR section and see if your TV matches.

All you need to do is turn on deep color for the HDMI ports you intend to use for HDR

Previous

check out my new Swatch

ummm...

Exactly how many times did you pull the power plug while the console was turned on?

Have you reseated the HDD? I might be screwed, but it also may have come loose by all that powercord yanking you did.

I've tried that but i still get the cannot access system storage message.

Yup, that is definitely what happened.

Do you have the 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color' setting turned on? It is required in order to use HDR at 4K on your TV.

Rtings has a settings guide here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

Go to the HDR section and see if your TV matches.

All you need to do is turn on deep color for the HDMI ports you intend to use for HDR

Funny you should mention that. The tech person I spoke to actually works for that website. I'm guessing I need to buy a new HDMI cable that is compatible with HDMI 2.0 and that should fix the dropouts?

IFunny you should mention that. The tech person I spoke to actually works for that website. I'm guessing I need to buy a new HDMI cable that is compatible with HDMI 2.0 and that should fix the dropouts?

Wow, that is pretty funny! Did you try the setting btw? Because if you did have it setup correctly then yes, maybe try another HDMI cable. I would recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Standard/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=amazonbasics&srs=10112675011&ie=UTF8&qid=1500919947&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+4k

ummm...

Exactly how many times did you pull the power plug while the console was turned on?

It was stuck in an endless loop where it kept restarting so maybe 4 times with that and then on the 5th time I booted it into safe mode and started the database rebuild when the signal dropped out so I unplugged it and now it just comes up with the cannot access system storage message.

Wow, that is pretty funny! Did you try the setting btw? Because if you did have it setup correctly then yes, maybe try another HDMI cable. I would recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Standard/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=amazonbasics&srs=10112675011&ie=UTF8&qid=1500919947&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+4k

I was a bit traumatised by what happened so I haven't gone out and bought a new HDMI cable yet but will definitely give that a try. Appreciate the help mate!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
WHY WOULD YOU TURN OFF A MACHINE BY PULLING THE PLUG EVER.

FWIW, it's not really relevant to the OP's situation, but the PS4 locks-up far more often than any other console I've ever used, occasionally requiring the user to unplug it to turn it off.

It's been an issue since the 4.5(?) firmware update in March and is extremely frustrating.

JP

I imagine the answer is obvious really.

You had a single copy of your game saves that you're not able to access, it would be a simple job if you'd kept backups but without them, if you can't access that single copy then you're out of hope. As well using Plus to backup my saves I also keep a third copy on a USB flash drive, most weekends I'll update the flash drive saves it's all done in seconds.

Top Bottom