• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are some Limited Print Games Companies just taking the piss!

Strictly Limited Games printed a Limited run of Bite the Bullet which has a bug that does not allow you to get passed the 2nd boss.

There response is download the patch when it is available. The whole point these companies are preaching is "physical forever" i.e. you can continue to play the game when the digital is delisted, which is is clearly not the case.

Is this acceptable, should we expext a playable version on disc or cartridge?

More info:

Three

Gold Member
Personally I find the whole concept of limited print physical games highly distasteful. Most gamers lambast firms like Nintendo for manufacturing scarcity (see the Mario 3D all-stars collection), yet these outfits are lauded for it. Horrible practice.
I think with these companies it isn't about manufacturing scarcity. It's more the fact that the game wasn't going to get a physical release so they do a limited run for those who would want a physical copy.

KiteGr

Personally I find the whole concept of limited print physical games highly distasteful. Most gamers lambast firms like Nintendo for manufacturing scarcity (see the Mario 3D all-stars collection), yet these outfits are lauded for it. Horrible practice.
As someone who will always prefer physical for collection reasons, these companies are priceless. The scarcity is a necessary business model to stay afloat from selling versions of games others have deemed "unrequired".

Now as for the above case, the whole point of paying premium for physical release of a game is to preserve it in a non-digital form. If that game is unplayable without an update through internet connection, then this calls for a Recall.

Rikku-X

Has anyone used limited run games? Do they really not ship until 4-5 months after? Or is that just to cover there backs? I would use them, but that's a big put off.

AREYOUOKAY?

Has anyone used limited run games? Do they really not ship until 4-5 months after? Or is that just to cover there backs? I would use them, but that's a big put off.
I only hated them when they didn't do preorders so you'd potentially miss things if you weren't up at a certain time due to scalpers. Thankfully that kind of changed when they started doing Switch games.

Last edited:

Porcile

Yes, the wait is stupid. They put up so new games damn near every week but can barely fulfill their pre-orders in a timely. Unfortunately they do have some good games occasionally which are unlikely to get a physical release again like Grandia (although I believe this got a patch urgh). I have ordered about four times from them, as yes they take forever.

KiteGr

Yes, the wait is stupid. They put up so new games damn near every week but can barely fulfill their pre-orders in a timely. Unfortunately they do have some good games occasionally which are unlikely to get a physical release again like Grandia (although I believe this got a patch urgh). I have ordered about four times from them, as yes they take forever.
From 15 of January I have 4 orders waiting. 3 of them have 2 games each, and one has 4. That's 10 in total.
I have yet to see a single game out of them!

I have ordered Scot pilgrim, but I've put it on the same order as Panzer Dragoon which is not ready.
I have ordered KoF2002 and Curse of the Moon 2 and this is the only order showing signs of moving any time soon.
I have ordered Doom Collection and dangun.
I have ordered recently Castlevania Collection and Blaster Master 3 along with 2 others from the partners.

I'm beginning to think that I might have been scammed.

Question:
I'm ordering from Europe. The shipping cost are huge, and that's why I order in bundles. Is it possible that I'm gona get screwed over by the customs?

Porcile

From 15 of January I have 4 orders waiting. 3 of them have 2 games each, and one has 4. That's 10 in total.

I have ordered Scot pilgrim, but I've put it on the same order as Panzer Dragoon which is not ready.
I have ordered KoF2002 and Curse of the Moon 2 and this is the only order showing signs of moving any time soon.
I have ordered recently Castlevania Collection and Blaster Master 3 along with 2 others from the partners.

Question:
I'm ordering from Europe. The shipping cost are huge, and that's why I order in bundles. Is it possible that I'm gona get screwed over by the customs?

No idea about customs, sorry.

So far I have ordered and received Grandia and Doom 64, which I believe took around six months each. I am waiting on No More Heroes 1 and 2 Collectors Edition and the Doom Collectors too. Considering how long it took them to print a cover art and put on a ROM on a cartridge for the first two, I have no expectation at all that I will get either NMH or Doom in a timely manner.

TLZ

Banned
I’ve just ordered Castlevania collection a couple days ago without knowing they’re shipping 3-4 months later. That shocked me. Oh well. As long as they’re reliable and I get the game I’m ok.

Question:
They take forever to ship, use the slowest and cheapest courier they can (but still tracked), and it eventually arrives. Also, never had to pay customs (Portugal, been buying for years now), that's why shipping is so high, it kind of works like DDP, without saying its DDP.

But I don't know what will happen from July 1st, with the changes in Europe about VAT limits...

theHFIC

I think the delays are longer now because they are taking pre-orders instead of just a limited stock of an item. So they don’t place their orders for discs/cards until the final orders are in. I am waiting on PS4 Ground Zero Texas personally.

The only glitched limited release game I have is PS Vita version of Night Trap which has a big where you can’t finish the game in certain circumstances. Jokes on them though since I never plan on finishing Night Trap😂

Birdo

Banned
Future cartridges should have a writable portion, so that small patches can be stored on the actual cart.

nush

Gold Member
For a bug on physical media the industry standard is to recall the product and release a fixed version. You can patch it now but what in the future when a patch is no longer available. If it was me, I'd eat the cost and re-manufacture correct carts for people who return the original cart.

Rikku-X

I think the delays are longer now because they are taking pre-orders instead of just a limited stock of an item. So they don’t place their orders for discs/cards until the final orders are in. I am waiting on PS4 Ground Zero Texas personally.

The only glitched limited release game I have is PS Vita version of Night Trap which has a big where you can’t finish the game in certain circumstances. Jokes on them though since I never plan on finishing Night Trap😂
But they say 4-5 months after the per-orders close, so it's even longer wait. Seems like it would take you half a year to get your games from them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
The wait on LRG releases is long (6+ months sometimes) so it's something that the company needs to work on in the future.
That being said I'm a fan of Limited Run. At first I didn't like them because they only allocated a certain # of pre-orders and they were bought by scalpers.
But since they've changed their pre-order model to just open for certain time period they've improved in my eyes. Anyone who wants a game can get it.
Plus LRG and other smaller publishes do a great service to those of us who enjoy physical releases.
The vast majority of digital games would not be released in a physical form if not for them.
I agree though that having to patch these games is unacceptable as they should be in their final form before they get a release physically.

Bar81

For a bug on physical media the industry standard is to recall the product and release a fixed version. You can patch it now but what in the future when a patch is no longer available. If it was me, I'd eat the cost and re-manufacture correct carts for people who return the original cart.

Except they know their clientele accepts them putting in below minimal effort. They're gonna keep that money and continue to laugh at their "customers".

Spidey Fan

Banned
Gamers when they hear limited word.
Kratos GIF by PlayStation

Sorry OP, as long as gamers act like this, companies will be able to pull this shit.

UnNamed

Banned
The only reason why you should buy from LRG is if you have a cartridge you can re-sell your game license. Give me the chance to sell my digital license and LRG will be pretty useless.

We need folks like you back into the industry, unless you're still in it, man. You know, those who seem to care to provide and maintain some quality control and assurance.

Collector's editions and limited prints, while I do appreciate them, need to be halted as well. Funnel that money into better overall games instead of this junk. Its a waste of resources. I'd take a complete, finished, and bug-free game over this BS any day.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
We need folks like you back into the industry, unless you're still in it, man. You know, those who seem to care about to provide and maintain some quality customer service and assurance.
Unfortunately I'm out of the game now, I just learned from the more experienced and now retired people I was working under. If you fuck up, then make it right you'll come out better in your customers perception than if you'd never fucked up to start with. Turning a negative into a positive, still valid today and across many life situations.

Banned
Strictly Limited Games printed a Limited run of Bite the Bullet which has a bug that does not allow you to get passed the 2nd boss.

There response is download the patch when it is available. The whole point these companies are preaching is "physical forever" i.e. you can continue to play the game when the digital is delisted, which is is clearly not the case.

Is this acceptable, should we expext a playable version on disc or cartridge?

More info:

this should definitely be refunded. this completely defeats the purpose of the product

Question:
I have ordered a bunch of stuff from Limited Run Games. I have received nearly everything I have ordered with the rest still in the processing phase. Though I live in America but I can't imagine them treating any other country differently. Also if it's of any merit you can check the status of your order on their website it will say if its still in development, if they are still receiving parts to build the product, or if it's ready to ship. So in my experience with them, you will not get scammed ordering from them.

Porcile

You will get your stuff. Wish they would just go easy on the new releases, so they could concentrate on delivering their products in a timely manner.

Miles708

This is not acceptable OP, and that's the reason i've sold my Metal Wolf Chaos physical edition and staying away from Special Reserve Games from now on.
Physical with patches? Fuck off.

If you don't understand the reason why a physical edition exists, you're clearly running your company wrong.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I've bought from them, never had an issue, though this particular situation really sucks. I thought it was amusing they were doing physical only copies of games, but fortunately enough the games themselves never interested me. 👀

For LRG, the time it takes to go from preorders to pressing/publication is going to take awhile. That "awhile" time varies depending on who they go through.

I think the concept is neat for people that enjoy games that don't have a physical collector's or something similar. It all just takes a bit, unfortunately. That "bit" may not be for everyone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cyberwoo

Neo Member
I pre-ordered Radirgy Swag & Cruisin Mix Special for the Switch from Ready to Dispatch games (readytodispatch.com) in April 2020, and it still hasn't shipped well over a year later. Tried emailing them but no response, their Twitter has been quiet for a while now. Not sure I'll ever get the games......
Not had any problems with Strictly Limted Games, Special Reserve or Limited Run though.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They should have a questionnaire for developers before their game gets a physical release. They should make it: Can your game be played without a patch or update? If not, they’re automatically rejected. The industry can’t seem to stay true to that and the promise of broadband all around the world is the ultimate excuse. All they need to do is stir up a little excitement in the consumer and the consumer will pay big bucks for whatever.

Miles708

They should have a questionnaire for developers before their game gets a physical release. They should make it: Can your game be played without a patch or update? If not, they’re automatically rejected. The industry can’t seem to stay true to that and the promise of broadband all around the world is the ultimate excuse. All they need to do is stir up a little excitement in the consumer and the consumer will pay big bucks for whatever.

It's enough to have a roadmap from the devs.
If there are patches planned: move physical release later in time. Problem solved.

Limited Run Games already does this I think. Others... it depends.
Doesn't make sense to complain about timing on this kind of releases.

I feel like 95% of people who buy these games just want a physical box for their shelf and are connected to the Internet and downloading the latest patches anyway.

Are we just talking about a computer disc? Seems to me they should just send out a new disc in a plain jewel case to everyone so they can replace their broken discs. Don't see why that would break the bank.

Miles708

Are we just talking about a computer disc? Seems to me they should just send out a new disc in a plain jewel case to everyone so they can replace their broken discs. Don't see why that would break the bank.

Generally these are ad-hoc productions with around 1k-10k copies manufactured. Doing it all again means doing months of preparation and production all over again.
It's, simply, bad management.

Pretty much. I had an order last November that I just finally got last week. Still waiting on several things I ordered in Jan and Feb.

Top Bottom