• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we going to see Final Fantasy 7 remake in this generation or the next?

paolo11

Ever since it was announced last 2015, we don’t get much news except Cloud’s new design? No new videos or gameplay nor trailer...

Should we expect this game this generation or next?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally much more excited for Kingdom Hearts 3 than FFVII remake, so I rather see Nomura and rest of his team concentrate on finishing KHIII so it get released this year.

royox

Are we going to see Final Fantasy 7 remake in our lifetime?

Here, I corrected your Title OP.

Masagiwa

It's a big game so it probably will take a long time before we get it in our hands. I think some of the Kingdom Hearts staff will probably help Division 1 with FF7R when that game is out. If we are lucky Naoki Hamaguchi
who is in charge of development is keeping the teams hard at work at a steady pace.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I was hoping for this generation, but given that it's going to be an episodic production I'd prefer it if they would wait it out for the next so we aren't faced with significant differences in visuals between the three (or however many) episodes they plan to release.

There's not really a this gen to next gen cycle anymore. A great many people game on something like a GTX 1050 or a Radeon 560 at 1080p and some people play those same games at 4k with a gtx1080.The future of consoles is no different. The game will likely run on Ps4\Pro and PS5, the money you spend will determine the performance you get.

paolo11

This is just my take but I’d rather have them release this game middle of next gen as complete game from start to finish instead of episodic content. Heck make it 3 disc one game package like PS1.

MayauMiao

I think we will see Final Fantasy 7 this generation as well as next gen. PS5 version would be "Final Fantasy 7 Remake Remastered". :p

ScrapBrain

Lord I hope so...

Honestly though, I expect we won't hear anything until next year. I would assume that KH3 is taking up a lot of internal resources, so once that's out of the way the team will probably start firing on all cylinders to get things rolling for reals and we'll probably start hearing rumblings of a release sometime in the fall or winter next year.

I'm sure the strategy is to release it for PS4/Pro, and then start mobile tie-ins and merchandising, while tweaking it to release it anywhere they possibly can afterwards, including PC, an XBone version (if licensing and partnership deals during development even allow it), and then 'complete' editions on whatever systems are available once it's done, double and triple dipping wherever possible. If they want to sell as many copies as possible using that strategy, it's more advantageous to release it on PS4 this gen so it can be repackaged and sold next generation and ports can be worked on

93xfan

Banned
This is just my take but I’d rather have them release this game middle of next gen as complete game from start to finish instead of episodic content. Heck make it 3 disc one game package like PS1.

They probably want to charge $60 for each piece of episodic content. They can’t release a $180 game (assuming 3 parts).

Petrae

It’s a Gen9 title. Even with Gen8.5 hardware as a stopgap, Gen8 isn’t going to be as long a burn as Gen7 was.

This will be one of the titles that builds hype for PS5.

Skyfox

Pro, X and switch 2 are the next gen. FF7 ep1 will release Q1 2020.

PS5 and next Xbox not until 2021.

Aranea

Probably current generation the first episode and the other 2 other on next generation (assuming 3 episodes total).

120v

my guess is it quietly moved on to next gen. it's episodic, obviously won't be wrapped up any time soon much less released any time soon, and you don't hear anything about it like with versus some years ago

so if you connect the dots... yeah. though cross gen for episode one is certainly not off the table

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Cross gen definitely. And not just episode 1 but the complete game as well. I think they are far too greedy to ignore the PS4/XB1 install bases. Also i have a feeling that they might have reconsidered the whole episodic bussiness plan but we will see.

Fbh

Next gen.

I really hope they don't make episode one cross gen. I already think it's annoying that they will be splitting it up into 3 parts. I hope they at least make them all feel even instead of one being cross gen and the other ones getting a technical bump from being next gen only

Dizagaox

I thought Square Enix were stepping away from episodic gaming? I hope this scraps that idea, even if it means it's delayed so much it ends up as a next-gen launch title.

stickkidsam

It's probably gonna be cross generation with a collection release on the next generation.

I'm hoping we'll see something substantial at E3 considering Nomura did have footage he was prepared to show last year. Unfortunately Square just didn't want to yet for whatever reason.

Currently reading the old announcement and gameplay threads to revitalize the hype at this point.

Soooo this is not a turn based game? It's not a remake of the best turn based RPG of all time? What's the point? Mehhhhhhhhh what are they thinking making this like Mass Effect or whatever I can tell from the gameplay snip

Wouldn't be shocked if it become ff VII-2 or something. Don't see why they would remake it in a completely different style when they could use the resources and time better on a new game.

They could literally made a remake of 7 with a few artisists an programmers redrawing thebackgrounds and replacing models and sounds. Use a 5.1 mix of the soundtrack.

autoduelist

There's not really a this gen to next gen cycle anymore. A great many people game on something like a GTX 1050 or a Radeon 560 at 1080p and some people play those same games at 4k with a gtx1080.The future of consoles is no different. The game will likely run on Ps4\Pro and PS5, the money you spend will determine the performance you get.

This is pure conjecture. We do not yet know how gens will shake out.

glasiche

Neo Member
Supposedly it only left pre-production last year, so maybe next gen.

If this is true then that is sorta sad.

I know SE thinks the FF14/15 formula is the future. But wow I would be happy to legit just see FF7 - playing just like FF7 - with current gen graphics.

Yes same exact script, SAME ATB, just better looking. Seriously, I don't want a FF15-Kingdom Hearts version of FF7. Yea, I know they've decided not to go that direction and have come up with explanations as to why it needs to be whatever it's going to end up being-- AND THAT MAY EVEN BE TRUE, BUT I DON'T CARE ANY WAY. And let's throw Nobou on the tunes again as well, digital remaster the symphonic masterpiece

I'm going to say next gen and I'm comfortable waiting for a quality remake vs a rushed remake thats as faithful to the original story as possible. Cross gen releases are ugly and expensive as a gamer and probably for production too.

Breakage

I think they should have gone with a more stylised art direction that's faithful to original artwork. The tech's there to make stylised games look good (see Dragon Ball Fighter Z). It'd also help to preserve the endearing Japanese-y charm of the original game's visuals – something that is utterly lost with the more realistic approach. The realistic look makes the characters look like a bunch of cosplayers. (This was something I also felt back when I first saw Advent Children.)

Last edited:

Danjin44

I think they should have gone with a more stylised art direction that's faithful to original artwork. The tech's there to make stylised games look good (see Dragon Ball Fighter Z). It'd also help to preserve the endearing Japanese-y charm of the original game's visuals – something that is utterly lost with the more realistic approach. The realistic look makes the characters look like a bunch of cosplayers. (This was something I also felt back when I first saw Advent Children.)
I definitely agree with this. I would have liked to see them use graphical style that could have brought this art style to life.
download.jpg
download.jpg
0b29126b9b3378000ada4b1f57ac5d80.jpg

Same way Kingdom Hearts does with Nomura's art style.

Breakage

I definitely agree with this. I would have liked to see them use graphical style that could have brought this art style to life.
download.jpg
Same way Kingdom Hearts does with Nomura's art style.
Yup, it just makes more sense. FF7's original character designs aren't rooted in realism like, for example, FF13's. Seeing anime-esque characters re-designed as real people makes them look live-action/cosplay odd. A stylised approach would have been more visually spectacular too, I think.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yup, it just makes more sense. FF7's original character designs aren't rooted in realism like, for example, FF13's. Seeing anime-esque characters re-designed as real people makes them look live-action/cosplay odd. A stylised approach would have been more visually spectacular too, I think.
Agreed. This why I'm much more excited for Kingdom Hearts III than FFVII Remake. Every time I see new trailer for KHIII, looks super exciting and charming, mean while FFVII looks soooo boring by comparison. It looks like they are going for that Advent Children look and that to me is huge mistake because that movie has none of charm that made original FFVII so memorable.

Its like taking out Akira Toriyama's art style out Dragon Quest and making look realistic instead.

Last edited:

NahaNago

yep, I keep thinking that the style that they are using is completely wrong for the game but on the other hand they are also aiming for the casual consumer who might not be interested in something a bit more stylized. I would just like a ghibli like movie of this game.

glasiche

Neo Member
I would prefer FF7 remake to look super hard vs charming.

If they want realism, I don't have a problem. Advent Children's designs weren't the issue as much as how uncharismatic the characters portrayed themselves I.E. the writing.

I remember fighting Sephiroth in the final fight at the end of the game. They upped the polygons and the realism, it looked fantastic especially for the time

Danjin44

I would prefer FF7 remake to look super hard vs charming.

If they want realism, I don't have a problem. Advent Children's designs weren't the issue as much as how uncharismatic the characters portrayed themselves I.E. the writing.

I remember fighting Sephiroth in the final fight at the end of the game. They upped the polygons and the realism, it looked fantastic especially for the time
But we already got realism with FFXV, can we for once have much more stylize FF game? I personally really liked original FFVII character design more than the crappy design we got Advent Children. I the tech we got I really want to see they bring those original design to life.

Top Bottom