• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you expecting a mid gen refresh this gen?

Are you expecting a mid gen refresh?

• Total voters

levyjl1988

Banned
There are no games or exclusives that really require a mid-gen refresh at the moment.
If anything the software needs more help than the hardware limitations, especially for PS5 and Xbox SX.

dottme

I feel just for Ray tracing, there will be a mid gen refresh. This gen release too early to really do ray tracing and games have a hard time to use it.
They clearly need much more powerful ray tracing.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't think it's needed since neither Microsoft nor Sony seem to be in any kind of rush to move past last gen, but I think both will offer midgen refreshes because they know they will sell.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How exactly are pros a scam compared to slims, and how the even further fuck is it market segregation?

Is it a scam and market segregation when new video cards release?

Yeah bro, a mid gen console refresh (even though I don't think it's happening) will lead to yearly 1k consoles LOL

Get a fucking grip dude, no need to get hysterical about something as mild as mid gen refreshes that probably won't happen
A console is a safe spending for years. And you always get the best version of a game optimised to the max.
When devs have to code for 17 systems… it’s not that.
This would just be a small pc. New one with better specs each year.

And I dont want to see that there is new console available every year or two like phones. I know I don’t have to get it but again. I don’t want spec race and price race in consoles.

Even just one mid gen refresh segregates the market. Devs have to code for lower spec console anyway. Or they can get away with worse performing base console because “they needed to utilise “ the pose of the pro. Which will be an excuse to not make 60fps games for base console but only for pro.

Last edited:
A console is a safe spending for years. And you always get the best version of a game optimised to the max.

And I dont want to see that there is new console available every year or two like phones. I know I don’t have to get it but again. I don’t want spec race and price race in consoles.

Even just one mid gen refresh segregates the market. Devs have to code for lower spec console anyway. Or they can get away with worse performing base console because “they needed to utilise “ the pose of the pro. Which will be an excuse to not make 60fps games for base console but only for pro.
Awful lot of assumptions based on damn near nothing here

winjer

Gold Member

No. Plenty of poorly optimized games on consoles as well.
What you say is only true for first party games.

Also, the console version, is rarely the best version. It takes a very poorly optimized game on PC, to be better on consoles.
On PC, the always have more features, higher frame rates, higher resolution, much better ray-tracing, DLSS, XeSS and FSR 2.0, much lower input lag because of higher frame rates and things like NVidia reflex, textures with greater resolution, etc...

Zug

Considering the chip shortage, geopolitical situation, economic recession, and the fact that it already costs a lot of money to make video games that take full advantage of the current available power : if there is a refresh, it will be expansive and for a niche audience.
PS4 Pro was already disapointing in how many games took advantage of it's supplementary power, this hypothetic refresh might be worse.

DaGwaphics

I don't agree with a lot of what you've said here, but I do think that consoles are the equivalent of a "safe" spend on gaming. You are always going to get something that is very optimized for your specific hardware, many times in ways that aren't completely possible to replicate on low-mid range PC parts (with some settings lower than PC low with others being beyond high, etc. very tailored to the hardware to get the best possible final image).

BONDO

Im ok with a refresher further down the line- say 2024. However, the current console has to be stocked ya know? Figure that out and then toss some options at us.

NickFire

Not opposed, but not expecting it either. I don't believe a new resolution will replace 4k for the masses anytime soon. Lots of people still happy with 1080P or less. And with demand still outpacing supply, I just don't any need from a platform holder's perspective at all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nope, no one will pay $800 for a console even the deranged gamer will look twice before crossing for that price.
Seeing how it's 2022 and consoles are still nowhere to be found and are only getting expenive? yeah. exactly.
I am seeing slim made cheaper but not even price reduction incoming

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nope, no one will pay $800 for a console even the deranged gamer will look twice before crossing for that price.
I would easily drop $800 for an upgraded pro console tomorrow and not think twice and I am far from deranged, I have had larger dinner bills when take friends out to eat

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
They have barely released any 'next gen' games for only the current gen consoles. If we have 4-5 years of current-only games then yes, that would make sense.

Reminds me of when 4K TV's finally became affordable and available to everyone, then they were pushing 8K. Even though they had just started selling 4K BluRays and streaming in 4K.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Initially I was a no, but I think the pandemic all but guarantees an extended generation with a mid gen refresh focused on RT and DLSS-like hardware acceleration. No need for huge silicon investment for additional tflops, it would be wasteful.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would easily drop $800 for an upgraded pro console tomorrow and not think twice and I am far from deranged, I have had larger dinner bills when take friends out to eat
Good for you but for me 800 is over half of my monthly salary. You know... europe, poland and so on.
That said. I would've dropped the shit out of 800 on that too but I wish that didn't happen :p

The PS4 Pro was basically the same tech with a stronger GPU that shared some weaknesses of the original but added some modest improvements and allowed for (sometimes) native 4K resolution at 30FPS (sometimes) which launched at the same price as the P4 before it's price reductions.

You would pay $800 for a compromising upgrade?

Seeing how it's 2022 and consoles are still nowhere to be found and are only getting expenive? yeah. exactly.
I am seeing slim made cheaper but not even price reduction incoming

Slim will be required to keep up the margins, but I doubt we will see price reductions outside internationally where PS5 will drop back to its original price.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The PS4 Pro was basically the same tech with a stronger GPU that shared some weaknesses of the original but added some modest improvements and allowed for (sometimes) native 4K resolution at 30FPS (sometimes) which launched at the same price as the P4 before it's price reductions.

You would pay $800 for a compromising upgrade?
Give me the % of upgrade the pro was to the base ps4 in the same jump for the PS5 hell yeah I would spend $800 easy on it.

I know $800 is a lot of money to a lot of people but there is also a segment of folks that spending $800 is a pretty small amount of cash when it comes to toys and how expensive that can become

NeonDelta

I’m expecting Microsoft to launch a more powerful console and drop the S requirement, and the X becomes what the S is now. And so on from now on. So you will have games on s/x and others on x/z.

ShadyAcshuns

Gold Member
With this economy and global inflation? Not really. Companies are raising prices on everything, which suggests a challenge for both consumers and manufacturers.

Besides all that, I think most people will be satisfied with the current level of console power. I also think most of the alleged issues we're seeing with current gen games are just the fault of the developers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Give me the % of upgrade the pro was to the base ps4 in the same jump for the PS5 hell yeah I would spend $800 easy on it.

I know $800 is a lot of money to a lot of people but there is also a segment of folks that spending $800 is a pretty small amount of cash when it comes to toys and how expensive that can become
You are not wrong.
My father's hobby is fishing... the tiny 20hp yamaha boat engine is more than my pc lol. Then you add all the fishing gear and it's WAY more than gaming haha

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You are not wrong.
My father's hobby is fishing... the tiny 20hp yamaha boat engine is more than my pc lol. Then you add all the fishing gear and it's WAY more than gaming haha
I can’t imagine what people invest in fishing as one of my buddies down here in Jupiter FL loves to deep sea fish and his boat has dual 250 outboards, no telling what just one of those cost

Neo_game

There has been some rumors and the only way they can keep this gen longer is to launch mid gen refresh. But unlike the other thread where people are expecting big improvements I think it will mainly be GPU and memory. Slim models will be launched first so if they release it next year then mid gen refresh should be 2024.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I don't know what to expect. On the one hand there is a component shortage. On the other hand, mid-gen refreshes have typically helped boost sales. I guess it's a possibility with PlayStation. I don't see a mid-gen refresh for Xbox though. They already have two consoles developers have to work with. I can't see developers being if Microsoft throws in a third model (or a fourth model if both the Xbox Series S and the Xbox Series X get mid-gen refreshes).

I hope that there aren't mid-gen refreshes though. I want both of these companies to fuss over their software, not their hardware.

Esca

I wouldn't be surprised. It feels like it's going to be a long gen to me at least. I'll upgrade if they do. I have the pro upgrade to of been well worth it and really improved my enjoyment with the last years till the ps5 came out.

NeonDelta

You can't drop what's selling, and those sales are subsidizing he supply issues for the X so if you remove it and production problems happen, big trouble.
I’m talking 3-4 years from now, not mid gen. You’d still get games for s and x, and probably s x and v. But the s won’t be mandatory anymore.

I’m talking 3-4 years from now, not mid gen. You’d still get games for s and x, and probably s x and v. But the s won’t be mandatory anymore.

S isn't going to stop selling 3-4 years from now. It'll be the only console to hit the magic $199 which we haven't seen in 10 years.

njean777

No, it is only now that PS5's are even somewhat available at stores. I think if a a refresh happens it may be at the 5 year mark and maybe just named the PS6 and Xbox whatever. Unless they decide to do something different. No point for a refresh right now, as most will just be getting the "new" console.

ergem

PS5 pro makes a lot of sense in 2020 along side the OG PS5.

It still makes sense in 2023. It must be a lot more powerful and expensive than OG ps5.

Next year Sony will flood market with cheaper PS5 and then in the Q4 they will release the pro version at a much higher price.

The og PS5 will still more units of course because it’s cheaper.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I am sure something will be going on. But likely not before 2024, market is too crazy right now and production only just started to pick up.

Naru

It really depends on how long this generation is. I could see them releasing a "Pro" version when you would expect a PS6 . Not anytime soon though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man when PS5 was coming out most people here got hyped for power of next gen but now we are not even halfway through current gen and people already begging for “pro“ version.

And current already overlyhyping next gen which long way off…
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-consoles-will-be-absolutely-insane.1641691/

But even even next gen people still be dissatisfied and beg for another “pro” version, it never ends.

Reactions: WoJ
Do we have an estimate of how many PS4 Pros sold in that 115 million+ PS4s? I don't think it sold well at all. I can't see a Pro version this gen mainly because true current gen games are not even out yet. If we are talking about the PS5 Pro, then it will probably be 3 more years from now. But by then you might as well wait for the PS6.

Last edited:

Miles708

Lots of users advocating for a PC market-like "constant overpriced marginal improvements" kind of bullshit.
I really don't understand you people.

TonyK

Do we have an estimate of how many PS4 Pros sold in that 115 million+ PS4s? I don't think it sold well at all. I can't see a Pro version this gen mainly because true current gen games are not even out yet. If we are talking about the PS5 Pro, then it will probably be 3 more years from now. But by then you might as well wait for the PS6.
I think a pro version is a way to sell a new console to a existing user. I, as my friends, purchased the Ps4Pro having the base model. So, we paid twice for a few extra frames and bump in resolution, and I will do the same with a PS5 Pro as soon is released.

So, Sony, I have a PS5, do you want more money from me? Release the Kraken. I would happily pay 1000€ por a PS5Pro that run A Plague Tale Requiem with the actual graphic quality but at rock solid 60fps.

Top Bottom