• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you expecting next-gen BC to be free or come with a fee

Next BC will be:

• Free for all and on all skus

Votes: 110 86.6%
  • Comes as an added cost ie. Premium sku, behind a sub paywall, etc.

Votes: 17 13.4%

• Total voters

HE1NZ

Banned
Current gen software will all be working on the next gen. Microsoft will keep bringing more OG and 360 titles the same way they do now and currently emulateable titles will all work on Scarlett. Sony will keep bringing PS1,2,3 titles to PSN. Maybe they'll unlock disc based PS1 emulation like they did on PS3, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I think it will be free. It seems like the trend is to do remasters/remakes as a way to sell games at full price. I think we'll continue to see that, but the X1 and PS4 games will just be free BC. A gen or two down the road we'll probably see remasters/remakes of some current gen hits.

Codes 208

No. Why would it be behind some paywall? When has it ever been behind some paywall? I stick a (supported) 360 game into my X and it works, there’s no reason to change it that going forward and the only logical “paywall” is buying a copy of the game (or playing bc via a game service like gamepass.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I’m hoping like fuck it’s not like Nintendo are doing on the switch with their NES/SNES games. I want to be able to buy and “own” the retro games I play and not have them tied to a service.
And I’m also hoping it’s not like PSnow, not only because I don’t want to fucking stream ANY games, but we still haven’t gotten that shit here in Australia!

Celcius

°Temp. member
It never even occurred to me that they would charge for it... there would be a lot of backlash if they did I think.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Free with the ability to buy the games digitally for those who don't have the discs.
Maybe they'll unlock disc based PS1 emulation like they did on PS3, but I doubt it.

Would there have to be any special hardware to be able to read all PlayStation discs? I might be misremembering, but I thought there was something different about the pre-bluray disc drives that was special... Or maybe it was just the discs themselves and it wouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
We’re mostly expecting hardware emulation no? I would expect that to be free. Unless you’re Nintendo. Then you’ll have to buy that ROM of Super Metroid each time a new piece of hardware is bought, regardless of digital purchase.

It boggles my mind that Nintendo can’t figure out what snes9x and ZSNES has been doing since ... 1998.... for free... from someone’s basement.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Would there have to be any special hardware to be able to read all PlayStation discs? I might be misremembering, but I thought there was something different about the pre-bluray disc drives that was special... Or maybe it was just the discs themselves and it wouldn't be a big deal.
Bluray disc drives read both CDs and DVDs.

Kagey K

Banned
Free with the ability to buy the games digitally for those who don't have the discs.

You are going to be in a world of disappointment.

It‘s just not going to work like that. Licenses expire and some of those game companies aren’t around.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that’s actually how it will work.

Grinchy

Banned
You are going to be in a world of disappointment.

It‘s just not going to work like that. Licenses expire and some of those game companies aren’t around.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that’s actually how it will work.
Obviously not every game will be on the store. There are PS3 games available through PS Now already and there's nothing stopping them from being downloadable on a system that can already emulate the PS3 (which PS5 is rumored to do).

There are also PS2 games on the store you can buy right now for PS4, and PS1 games have been on the store for a long time. So sure, not every game, but there's no reason not to have the ones that they have gotten licenses for already along with any new ones that could crop up in the list.

It's also just a drive-by 1.3 second thought that I blurted out, so no one is kidding themselves about anything :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I expect for Microsoft to make it like now, free when you have the game.

I could see Sony milk it behind psplus or something if they have it at all. It doesn't matter though, since Sony players won't play old games. At least I remember many people saying that when XO got announced bc.

Alx

There's no reason to make people pay for that feature, unless the service is provided through cloud gaming (in which case you'd need to pay for the servers and bandwidth).

The_Mike

There's no reason to make people pay for that feature, unless the service is provided through cloud gaming (in which case you'd need to pay for the servers and bandwidth).

Well you pay for being able to play online games,and there's no reason for that besides money.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
No disc compatibility, but you can buy digital versions of their back catalog (well the ones they can get publishing rights for)....or stream them as part of a customizable (read: tiered) monthly payment plan .

Kagey K

Banned
Obviously not every game will be on the store. There are PS3 games available through PS Now already and there's nothing stopping them from being downloadable on a system that can already emulate the PS3 (which PS5 is rumored to do).

There are also PS2 games on the store you can buy right now for PS4, and PS1 games have been on the store for a long time. So sure, not every game, but there's no reason not to have the ones that they have gotten licenses for already along with any new ones that could crop up in the list.

It's also just a drive-by 1.3 second thought that I blurted out, so no one is kidding themselves about anything :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That would be an interesting nut to crack.

Selling it again falls under different rules, Im actually very interested in seeing how this one shakes out.

Last edited:

Alx

Well you pay for being able to play online games,and there's no reason for that besides money.

For online you're paying for servers and bandwidth too. One can discuss the true cost of those, but there is one.
If we're talking BC, we're talking about running a game I already paid for, using electricity I'm already paying for and a feature of a console I paid for too. So there's no justification for an additional cost.
Now if it was third party software that allow for BC, like the Bleemcast of old, then you may argue that you're paying for the devs of the emulator. But if we're talking BC as a native feature of the console, then it should be included in the whole package.

Last edited:
I want to put my disc and play. Other than that is BS.

Well, as i said in the other thread, i like to play games on their original hardware, and BC is a emergency case if one one if my old console die.

I want to put my disc and play. Other than that is BS.

Well, as i said in the other thread, i like to play games on their original hardware, and BC is a emergency case if one of my old consoles die.

Last edited:

Ellery

Same. I expect PS4 BC for PS5 because they absolutely have to. Everything else would be a cherry on top.

And no they are not going to be able charge any fee for that, because people would eat them alive and once I put on my fingerless gloves my keyboard is going to burn with the hatred of a million words.

The_Mike

For online you're paying for servers and bandwidth too. One can discuss the true cost of those, but there is one.
If we're talking BC, we're talking about running a game I already paid for, using electricity I'm already paying for and a feature of a console I paid for too. So there's no justification for an additional cost.
Now if it was third party software that allow for BC, like the Bleemcast of old, then you may argue that you're paying for the devs of the emulator. But if we're talking BC as a native feature of the console, then it should be included in the whole package.

Then using the digital store should be behind psplus no? I mean, you are using their servers to download their games.

Alx

Then using the digital store should be behind psplus no? I mean, you are using their servers to download their games.

The cost of downloading your game is in the license you paid for the game. BC or not, when you purchase a digital game the price includes a right to download it again, as many times as you need.
Now that may not be true for old disc games that never existed digitally, but it would be a nightmare to explain that BC is free for digital games and paid for physical games. Especially since the common understanding of BC is "put your game in and play", having to download the game when you own the disc is already something on which you wouldn't want to put any focus.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
thing with online games is the server costs, with back compatible it should be free was its done on the console. free as long as you own the game

NAI1210

Xbox will probably continue with the way they have been doing, ps5 if it's backward compatible will be digital purchases, not expecting it read psone discs etc.

Outrunner

If Sony really has a system that will improve the textures and upscale the games to 4k I expect this to be associated with PSNow or another subscription service. There is no money to be made out of BC otherwise.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

The PS4 didn’t have a CD-ROM laser at all.

brian0057

Banned
Hmmm... yes, of course. Companies that are happy to sell you their old catalog for the millionth time on every hardware imaginable are totally gonna give them for free this time around.
Who knew a mainly digital future would be so bad?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I think it will be free. It seems like the trend is to do remasters/remakes as a way to sell games at full price. I think we'll continue to see that, but the X1 and PS4 games will just be free BC. A gen or two down the road we'll probably see remasters/remakes of some current gen hits.

A gen or two down the road? I wouldn't be surprised if one was a next gen launch game.

Top Bottom