• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you expecting next-gen BC to be free or come with a fee

Next BC will be:

• Free for all and on all skus

Votes: 110 86.6%
  • Comes as an added cost ie. Premium sku, behind a sub paywall, etc.

Votes: 17 13.4%

• Total voters

Cato

Banned
Assuming consoles have full BC do you think its too good to be true and that it will be locked behind some sort of paywall?

Guaranteed to be behind a paywall.
You will have to re-purchase each and every game you want to use with BC.
Maybe it can play PS4 games straight off the disc but any PS1/2/3 games I am certain you will have to re-purchase as digital media locked to PS5 (so you have to buy them again once PS6 comes out)

That is why I have all the physical consoles. They can do whatever shenannigans they want and it wont affect me.
I put the physical disk into the physical PS2 and it just works.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I don't think there will be a paywall to play your old disc based games. Blu ray players can read DVD's and CD's so there is no excuse for the PS5 not to. As for being able to download digital copies, I'm not really sure how that works.

Did Microsoft ever explain how their BC works and whether new licenses needed to be arranged for old games?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BC with possible upressing/better performance better be absolutely free. I don't expect they will just give you rights to the PS5 version, for example, if you own the PS4 version of a game, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect it to be a selling point for the next gen consoles, and thus I expect it to be included with the box.

If they have BC and try to charge for it, I'll just add that to the list of reasons not to buy their box.

Shantae

Banned
At the very least, I expect Microsoft to keep doing it the way they've been doing it on the Xbox One, which I think is fantastic. Buy the game digitally if you want, or if you have the disc, pop it in and play. If Sony doesn't follow suit and do the same, I'll be rather disappointed.

Justin9mm

If I already own the game, why wouldn't it be free? I don't understand the question or thread.

If you're saying that there is some type of sub service to my PS5 that won't read my disc without a subscription, that's not really BC to be honest. You've already paid for the console to do this and you have the game. That's like charging to play movies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
At the very least, I expect Microsoft to keep doing it the way they've been doing it on the Xbox One, which I think is fantastic. Buy the game digitally if you want, or if you have the disc, pop it in and play. If Sony doesn't follow suit and do the same, I'll be rather disappointed.
My thoughts exactly. Microsoft has set the bar here pretty high, if Sony doesn't at least offer the same then it's going to be seen as the inferior product.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What the fuck is BC?

Jesus christ, why do you americans acronymize everyfuckingthing?
It's Backwards Compatibility, although I agree. Shit like WaPo, etc pisses me the fuck off. Wonder what would happend if Germans would do that, since there it would be easily justifiable, but in English? Meh....

Reactions: Fuz

junguler

Banned
it will be free on xbox, sony probably milks anything other than ps4 games and some people try to justify it.

DW74

What a strange topic. When has BC ever cost anything before? With the obvious exception of re-buying “classics”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom