• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaf has 195K registered members including the ones that were banned waay before "the incident"

Terra has 26K members as of today: NOT the 30K you pulled out of your butt hole.

So let's do the math here, shall we Math Fail Charlie?

15% of 195,000 = 29,250, that's still about 3,250 more members than what Setera has right now. So to be more accurate the entire population of Estera is about 13.4% of the overall GAF registry... Just, I repeat just 13.4% of GAF's registered members throughout the last 18 years.

My original argument was of course, all the past banned members who were banned long time ago, migrating to Reset, your "active members" argument doesn't apply here. And how do you exactly measure "active GAF member" after last week's mass account suicides?

You seem to be convinced that about 15% of GAF migrated over there... (that includes past banned members of course) So again, tell me if it's so shocking to believe that only 13.4% of GAF's population migrated there?

Maybe you should've payed attention in your grade 5 math class, instead of rolling your eyes. What say you?

Trying to get a snarky tag? Lol

Either way the other sites are far more active.

Maybe you should have paid attention in your grade 5 reading comprehension class. He did say steal 15% of Gaf's most active users, not overall users.

But in all seriousness I'm just joking around.

Define "Active GAF user" ?? or at least give me a ballpark figure of the number of "active" users? Can you? I can read.

Trying to get a snarky tag? Lol

Either way the other sites are far more active.

Oh I am not doubting that, it's clear as day if you compare mirror threads of any given topic in the OT or Gaming. it's about 5 times more active than here.

But this whole thing started with someone claiming that most of Esetera is NOT former GAF members (See this funny little post).... Which I said a big "Bullshit" to!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Define "Active GAF user" ?? or at least give me a ballpark figure of the number of "active" users? Can you? I can read.

All the people that kept the communities moving at a mile a minute? Those who constantly made news threads like the weekly box office ones and filled up OT's for movies, music and other things?

Of the 190k+ users that were on NeoGAF, most have left for other sites. Those other sites reporting around 30k users represent the active users that were still actually here.

Most of that 190k have either been banned or have moved on before the death of this place. Also some would likely have even forgotten either their username or password and have lost acces to their paid email. For instance I no longer have my university email because I haven’t been a student in years and it got deleted.

Paterson

Banned
Gaf has 195K registered members including the ones that were banned waay before "the incident"

Terra has 26K members as of today: NOT the 30K you pulled out of your butt hole.

15% of 195,000 = 29,250, that's still about 3,250 more members than what Setera has right now. So to be more accurate the entire population of Estera is about 13.4% of the overall GAF registry... Just, I repeat just 13.4% of GAF's registered members throughout the last 18 years.

My original argument was of course, all the past banned members who were banned long time ago, migrating to Reset, your "active members" argument doesn't apply here. And how do you exactly measure "active GAF member" after last week's mass account suicides?

You seem to be convinced that about 15% of GAF migrated over there... (that includes past banned members of course) So again, tell me if it's so shocking to believe that only 13.4% of GAF's population migrated there?

Maybe you should've payed attention in your grade 5 math class, instead of rolling your eyes. What say you?

lol 195k is a joke. That includes every alt account, every banned account, every account of people who haven't been here in years. If it really had anywhere close to that number, it wouldn't be so dead now after only having lost 26k people to the other site. Fact is, that site probably got 90-95 percent of the actual posters here. It sure as hell got all the content creators.

All the people that kept the communities moving at a mile a minute? Those who constantly made news threads like the weekly box office ones and filled up OT's for movies, music and other things?

again, reading comprehension. Gaf's most active users.

I am not denying that those guys are over there, when did I say they aren't ...

We're talking strictly numbers here, it's true that a very select few were dedicated people to making this place interesting with threads and news etc and now they are over there and doing a hell of a job there.. .. But.. again my argument is numbers. If the community over there does not grow beyond say 50k members? What good are those quality "active" members over there? My argument is and always was, GAF had the numbers, (most) migrated there, but some stayed, and who knows, some probably said fuck it all together... And quit bothering to register there or anywhere or they went to GameFaqs.

Having said this, not all is lost... You underestimate the power of an average poster, who just posts a few posts a day and contributes a lot to the forums, the average poster who are the majority of posters here, not the guy who can make a bitchin OT of an upcoming game etc, or the "insider" guy.. Those guys can easily be replaced, trust me, as long as there are members to engage in conversation and show interest in a topic, those OT's and experts will come back, if not them literally, the likes of them will be replaced.

On the flip side, I see tons of former GAFers there, that I haven't seen on GAF for years! so many old, familiar names and avvy's ... I have no clue why those peeps were (perma) banned ages ago... But now they are all there and they seem happy, I am not here to judge their character or quality of their posts, but all those familiar "faces" tell me is my point again: most of GAF new/active and OLD have populated Era, and there really isn't anything, fresh or different about that place...(it's basically GAF divided into two unequal parts. ERA being the big half of GAF, GAF being the sad little piece) Just like I stated in my first post in this thread "It's business as usual over there" ... If there is any chance of "change" maybe this place has a better shot at it, than Era... Again, my original post.

TarNaru33

Banned

Snarky and yet failed to understand the post you're responding to.

Oh I am not doubting that, it's clear as day if you compare mirror threads of any given topic in the OT or Gaming. it's about 5 times more active than here.

But this whole thing started with someone claiming that most of Esetera is NOT former GAF members (See this funny little post).... Which I said a big "Bullshit" to!

Literally NO ONE has claimed this, you should take time to read and understand posts before responding because you misunderstood posts too many times now.

Literally NO ONE has claimed this, you should take time to read and understand posts before responding because you misunderstood posts too many times now.

Ok, help me understand this post please, especially the first sentence, the bolded.

Protip: the "*eyeroll" indicates sarcasm.

You're right. All 30k members are Gaffers or banned Gaffers. *eyeroll

Shit, if Era managed to steal 15% of this site's most active members, this place is truly fucked.

numble

Someone who made a post in the last six months. You can actually do this statistically and the stats are publicly available. Every user has an ID. You can see when was their last post.

Here is a sample starting from my user ID of 20950:

20950 - active
20951 - inactive
20952 - inactive
20953 - inactive
20954 - inactive
20955 - inactive
20956 - active
20957 - inactive
20958 - inactive
20959 - inactive
20960 - inactive
20961 - inactive
20962 - active
20963 - inactive
20964 - inactive
20965 - active
20966 - inactive
20967 - inactive
20968 - inactive
20969 - active

Based on those 20 users, only 25% were active. Extrapolated to 195,000, there were than 48,750 active users. If 15% of 48,750 active users left, that is 7,313 users leaving.

Edit: Scale up to 50 and it is still 25% active:
20970 - inactive
20971 - active
20972 - active
20973 - inactive
20974 - inactive
20975 - inactive
20976 - inactive
20977 - inactive
20978 - inactive
20979 - inactive
20980 - inactive
20981 - inactive
20982 - inactive
20983 - inactive
20984 - inactive
20985 - inactive
20986 - active
20987 - inactive
20988 - inactive
20989 - inactive
20990 - inactive
20991 - inactive
20992 - inactive
20993 - inactive
20994 - inactive
20995 - inactive
20996 - inactive
20997 - active
20998 - inactive
20999 - active

Resonance

The number counter in the front page that displays the number of members is actually false. I can tell because if you check the profile page of the latest member, it shows their number on the url. For example, the latest user is the 29,838th member. By now, there should be over 30,000 members

Biff

I just came to the sad realization that this is the most active thread/discussion happening on GAF.

jfc

This site is dead. Best wishes everyone.

SoulUnison

Banned
I thought this place would bounce back, but the |OT|s and communities over the last couple days have been hilariously poor, if even existent.

A lot of the time now it feels like the only people left here are fanboys and/or little kids on their parent's computers.

TarNaru33

Banned
Ok, help me understand this post please, especially the first sentence, the bolded.

Him being snarky to your comment that all of the other website members are former GAF and banned users of GAF.

You said that, then I mentioned that not all of them are and that there was plenty of people who weren't GAF members and you double-downed. Are you forgetting the context in our string of posts?

EDIT: You are making absolute statements on the numbers here and you are completely wrong in how you come to your conclusions. You can not say "all of them were GAF members or banned GAF members" because that is factually not correct, by plenty of admission on the other website that details that they were lurkers of GAF.

Not to mention they are close to 30K members now, it will be difficult to say even majority were GAF members factually.

Wulfric

Look at how active this thread is compared to the entire OT forum. You should get your answer there.

What concerns me is the number of year old Junior Member accounts suddenly posting just days after the incident last month. A lot of them are aggressive, and quite defensive about GAF despite having less then a few dozen posts. It looks bizarre, and many of them haven't posted in gaming topics.

My subscriptions haven't moved because multiple communities have left. MagicGAF, LettersGAF, FurryGAF, and the Guild Wars 2 groups are gone. Trump threads have all but disappeared despite Mueller's investigation heating up this week and his ongoing trip to Asia.

I don't wish to be the negative Kathy here, but this site is completely different now. Who knows how long it's going to last in it's current incarnation.

Hi there. This is the member number of the most recent member on the other site: 29838. I don't know if you've ever seen the phrase "about" used, but it generally involves rounding. 29800/195000 is ABOUT 15%. The number on the front page is inaccurate. Sorry you're confused and don't know how the site works, but you just click the name of the newest member and it's in the URL. Regardless, getting in such a tizzy over rounding is pretty silly Bad Insult... er... Charlie.

As for measuring the activity of the posters who are no longer here and are now over there, I'd point to how little activity there is on this site compared to the other one. Maybe by comparing the number of posts over a period of time between the two. You know, the logical thing to do.

If you want to belittle someone else's intelligence, best you make sure you're not saying idiotic shit.

I don't know where you lost the plot, but I was scoffing at the idea that most/all of the other site was banned or former Gaffers. Then I made the point that this site would be even worse off if your ridiculous statement was true. For someone as smart as you, I'm surprised you fucked this up so much. I'll break it down for you. You replied to this
Yeah, spoken like a guy that don't know what they're talking about.

1. The moderation is less strict, I know because I am on that website and is more transparent as well.
2. It is not "just the same ol' vocal folk" either, there are plenty of people who have not registered on GAF on there.
With
You mean the folk who were banned here in the last decade or so for terrible or viable reasons. "Not registered on GAF" is quite inaccurate.
Leading me to say
You're right. All 30k members are Gaffers or banned Gaffers. *eyeroll

Shit, if Era managed to steal 15% of this site's most active members, this place is truly fucked.
After which you let your ignorance of how sarcasm, 5th grade math, and the other site work bait you into saying some truly stupid shit. It's cool, though, I'm sure you're a nice dude.

All that being said, I hope this site recovers. I've loved my time here and want that to continue.

I don't like how slow it is right now but it takes time for members to rise up and fill roles / produce content. I'm a junior, long time lurker and there will be a bunch of us looking to plug the holes.

I'd give it sometime before confidently saying that the site is "dead."

Hi there. This is the member number of the most recent member on the other site: 29838. I don't know if you've ever seen the phrase "about" used, but it generally involves rounding. 29800/195000 is ABOUT 15%. The number on the front page is inaccurate. Sorry you're confused and don't know how the site works, but you just click the name of the newest member and it's in the URL. Regardless, getting in such a tizzy over rounding is pretty silly Bad Insult... er... Charlie.

As for measuring the activity of the posters who are no longer here and are now over there, I'd point to how little activity there is on this site compared to the other one. Maybe by comparing the number of posts over a period of time between the two. You know, the logical thing to do.

If you want to belittle someone else's intelligence, best you make sure you're not saying idiotic shit.

I don't know where you lost the plot, but I was scoffing at the idea that most/all of the other site was banned or former Gaffers. Then I made the point that this site would be even worse off if your ridiculous statement was true. For someone as smart as you, I'm surprised you fucked this up so much. I'll break it down for you. You replied to this

With

Leading me to say

After which you let your ignorance of how sarcasm, 5th grade math, and the other site work bait you into saying some truly stupid shit. It's cool, though, I'm sure you're a nice dude.

All that being said, I hope this site recovers. I've loved my time here and want that to continue.
Lol bad insult Charlie should be his tag

This dead forum is still an echo chamber

except now the echo is repeating about how glad the echo chamber is gone and the posts* are more quality now somehow

*what posts?

I was going to try to stick around but the crawl of the Stranger Things post forced me to sign up to ERA and I'm glad I did, feels like home. Once ERA gets a black theme, GAFs failure will be complete

I was going to try to stick around but the crawl of the Stranger Things post forced me to sign up to ERA and I'm glad I did, feels like home. Once ERA gets a black theme, GAFs failure will be complete

Yeah, that other forum getting a black theme is truly the final nail in the coffin.

Everyone too excited to proclaim "the king is dead."

It'll pick up one day, and 2019 will roll around and people will wonder why GAF didn't die even after its golden members left

Nephtis

It is perfectly okay to have an opinion, the issue is some people do not know why their opinion would net them a ban. Context matters and that guy that I responded to probably did not word his post well as you just stated you said the "same thing" as that guy without getting banned. Conversation is important, knowing how to engage in it is also very important.

If you go into a thread about a certain conversation, you must tone your post with that in mind. So, I wouldn't for example go into a thread about a model getting rape threats and leave a post saying "I don't like hairy legs" and leave expecting not to get dogpiled.

Your post only tells me there needs to be a warning before a temporary ban, while permabans should be left for more extreme posts.

Right - I think he should've had a warning at most if all he said was "I don't like hairy legs" and left it at that. One of the problems with GAF has always been that either people get dogpiled (and thus end up getting pissed and saying something stupid that will eventually result in a ban - a tactic a lot of people enjoyed to utilize), or they're not asked to clarify their position and are outright banned with no appeal process or, as the other forum is doing - have a public message with ban reason. Mods do a lot and I was thankful for it - but they really dropped the ball when it came to that. Only a few actually did try - or took it to PMs before deciding the next course of action. Having said that, I recognize that doing that for every single user, when we had so much activity, would have been a herculean task.

It's sort of a lose-lose situation - even if you do try to explain yourself the dogpiling was extreme. It's difficult to have a conversation that way. That's why so many people would raise the white flag first while trying to explain their position in the topic, but that often didn't help (much).

I'm hoping that with what happened people in GAF will try to be respectful again to try and rebuild the community. It will be slow for sure, and we will see activity be almost non-existant for a while, but I think it will get up there. But changes need to be made, both for users, and the moderating team.

TarNaru33

Banned
Right - I think he should've had a warning at most if all he said was "I don't like hairy legs" and left it at that. One of the problems with GAF has always been that either people get dogpiled (and thus end up getting pissed and saying something stupid that will eventually result in a ban - a tactic a lot of people enjoyed to utilize), or they're not asked to clarify their position and are outright banned with no appeal process or, as the other forum is doing - have a public message with ban reason. Mods do a lot and I was thankful for it - but they really dropped the ball when it came to that. Only a few actually did try - or took it to PMs before deciding the next course of action. Having said that, I recognize that doing that for every single user, when we had so much activity, would have been a herculean task.

It's sort of a lose-lose situation - even if you do try to explain yourself the dogpiling was extreme. It's difficult to have a conversation that way. That's why so many people would raise the white flag first while trying to explain their position in the topic, but that often didn't help (much).

I'm hoping that with what happened people in GAF will try to be respectful again to try and rebuild the community. It will be slow for sure, and we will see activity be almost non-existant for a while, but I think it will get up there. But changes need to be made, both for users, and the moderating team.

I don't even get the point of mentioning "dogpiles", if a person dogpiled all they have to do is pick out the most reasonable post to respond to. Being baited into raging or saying something stupid is still on them really, its a forum where you have minutes to respond and collect your thoughts.

There is no real way to stop "dogpiling" and it exist everywhere. If you have a minority view, you are likely to have multiple people responding and question different points of the view because not everyone think of the same thing.

Nephtis

I don't even get the point of mentioning "dogpiles", if a person dogpiled all they have to do is pick out the most reasonable post to respond to. Being baited into raging or saying something stupid is still on them really, its a forum where you have minutes to respond and collect your thoughts.

There is no real way to stop "dogpiling" and it exist everywhere. If you have a minority view, you are likely to have multiple people responding and question different points of the view because not everyone think of the same thing.

It's difficult to just pick one out to respond to and can get pretty overwhelming at times. Yeah, in hindsight it's pretty easy to see what they should've done but when it's happening it's very hard to just stay calm. And if you decide not respond to them, well, they start calling you a coward, etc. You're right though that there isn't a real way to stop dogpiling unless a mod made a post to stop the dogpiling. Having said that, you don't necessarily need to have the minority view to be dogpiled to hell - just need enough of those people in the thread to make it look way worse than it is and it just picks up traction from there.

takriel

I'd like to make a thread asking who the people left on GAF are. Like, what is their age, gender, their relationship with the games medium, their political stance, and what they think about contemporary happenings in the world.

I'm basically really curious who's left here on GAF.

What do you guys and gals (?) think?

llien

Here is a sample starting from my user ID of 20950:

I like what you are doing, but note that you should not pick IDs like that, as most of those users might have registered together ages ago (or just recently), could even belong to a single person who was identified etc. etc.

Correct way would be to randomly pick X IDs out of entire pool.

I'd like to make a thread asking who the people left on GAF are. Like, what is their age, gender, their relationship with the games medium, their political stance, and what they think about contemporary happenings in the world.

Why not.

1. If you don't like what I say then you are free to ignore my posts..
I can't ignore posts putting words into my mouth.

llien

It is not GAF's responsibility for people to use some common sense before posting. I do agree that a ban is not the appropriate first action, warnings or letting the user take in the responses they are getting would hopefully be enough.
The first sentence doesn't reflect what was many here state was going on, the second one is something hard to disagree with.

Its Bannon bro... though I do agree there is no need for such posts, most of the things he say and believe is common sense to be against. I know you are trying to use him as an example, but him and Trump are on the extreme side.
It isn't about Bannon, it's about arguments. From time to time you'd see posts like "I know that <insert some name> is a <insert insult>, but... could you link <video/text> where he says something showing that he is <what was said above>".

This is ridiculous. It is exactly the same biological "my kind vs your kind" mob vs mob think, that leads to racism and other isms.

They couldn't answer them or you just felt their answers weren't sufficient?
They couldn't answer.

I am confused as to why you think insiders go to big websites/forums if not for the active user base. We are not just talking about people who post in threads, but those who make quality threads. Those people give the content which bring people here, which in turn bring insiders here, which then bring more people here.
You are mixing different things here. I was talking about myself, stating that it was insider information that I was about (perhaps weekly reports as well) that I was after, moderation didn't matter to me.
Whether its mods who where bringing insider contents, I don't know, it's not something I'm arguing about.

It is not specifically about the people you mentioned, but the state of GAF is undeniable currently, the people I mentioned largely left.
People left, that's clear. Even those who were posting in threads about hardware and where quite apolitical are nowhere to be seen, which is rather puzzling.

It is perfectly okay to have an opinion, the issue is some people do not know why their opinion would net them a ban. Context matters and that guy that I responded to probably did not word his post well as you just stated you said the "same thing" as that guy without getting banned. Conversation is important, knowing how to engage in it is also very important.
There was a thread where junior member was banned for stating that black are better boxers.
It was racist, he was told. I asked for explanation why scientifically provable (I wasn't sure about boxing, but in light athletics among men black race is dominant for clear biological reasons) non-controversial statement is considered racist. My post was simply ignored.

I even recall a thread in which about some youtube guy stating something totally harmless in my books (don't remember neither his name, nor what the controversy was about, sorry), filled with explanations on what a motherfucker he was (no links, no citations, just statements) followed by some user stating "oh, I used to watch his videos, unsubscribing now", followed by me wondering "how come you watched all his videos, but needed people on the forum to figure he was some sort of nazi", followed by single user, who bothered arguing with basically dozens of actively dogpiling users, shouting out "but he is liberal!".

If you go into a thread about a certain conversation, you must tone your post with that in mind. So, I wouldn't for example go into a thread about a model getting rape threats and leave a post saying "I don't like hairy legs" and leave expecting not to get dogpiled.
This is understandable.

wondermega

It's probably best to try to lean less political and more gamer-centric with something like this, in the wake of all that has happened. Back to roots!

Hoo-doo

Banned
The confirmation bias on display in this thread when people go 'quality over quantity' or 'i'm glad all the crybabies left and all the mature posters remained' is staggering.
It simply couldn't be further from the truth right now and it doesn't take a sharp eye to notice it.

I mean, it's good that the place got shaken up and people are trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild. But it's clear that some of you don't actually read the threads remaining on here or are deathly afraid to look in the mirror.

I mean, it's good that the place got shaken up and people are trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild. But it's clear that some of you don't actually read the threads remaining on here or are deathly afraid to look in the mirror.

Seriously. Have a look at something like the box office thread - 20 replies a day after it was posted, and for the debut of the third Thor film (Marvel films generally attracted a fair bit of attention, there's the bounce back from Dark World, Waititi's success etc. making it discussion-worthy) that's pretty pathetic.

The only huge threads appearing are the pre-downtime ones being resurrected and even those are moving at a snail's pace, and there's no sense of either OT or Gaming being somewhere where news is breaking or of vibrant conversations being had.

Yes, I've seen the argument that "well, it's nicer now threads don't move so fast/things aren't as hectic/there's no dogpiling etc.", but those things were a side-effect of an active, engaged and dynamic community. Without those new threads when things break, or the fast-moving discussion (and jokes, memes, and, yes, even the thread drama) you're left with an almost-literal handful of people talking about barely anything.

It's rapidly turning into a forum of This is Fine dogs:

"This is fine. I like the slower pace."

...as the place smoulders and collapses.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yes, I've seen the argument that "well, it's nicer now threads don't move so fast/things aren't as hectic/there's no dogpiling etc.", but those things were a side-effect of an active, engaged and dynamic community.

Yeah. I mean, I've bitched a lot about GAF's signal-to-noise ratio in the past, but at least there was a signal.

The confirmation bias on display in this thread when people go 'quality over quantity' or 'i'm glad all the crybabies left and all the mature posters remained' is staggering.
It simply couldn't be further from the truth right now and it doesn't take a sharp eye to notice it.

I see lot of people keep talking about how they can have "real" discussions now that the dogpiling is gone, yet all they seem to want to discuss is how they can have "real" discussions now.

It's like GAF became a living Trump tweet.

Blam

I see lot of people keep talking about how they can have "real" discussions now that the dogpiling is gone, yet all they seem to want to discuss is how they can have "real" discussions now.

I mean honestly I've seen more people posting on Gaming now from what I can tell sure less posts per thread but they are posting more threads but obviously not anything like before.

xrnzaaas

What's interesting to me is that a lot of people are still lurking on GAF. A 1-2 days old thread can have only 20 replies and 4000 views. I refuse to believe it's mostly from people googling and visiting GAF by accident.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
NeoGAF had it's day, but that day is done, over, finished.

Last one out, turn off the lights, See you at Era.

*deletes Bookmark*

Blam

What's interesting to me is that a lot of people are still lurking on GAF. A 1-2 days old thread can have only 20 replies and 4000 views. I refuse to believe it's mostly from people googling and visiting GAF by accident.

It's lurkers that's all it is. They are here just not posting. And I can guarantee this thread has way fucking more views then replies as well.

There's a good few who are just lurking on the sake of people not wanting their friends or others to know they are still on GAF.

Before people say this is bullshit this isn't there are people doing this. 4000ish? Probably not.

I mean, GAF needs all the posters it can get right now lol.

People logging off their mains posting on their alts does not count. It's still the same people, lol. Even if it's people banned on their mains posting on alts...still the same peeps.

Yes. Seems much more chill now that the perpetually outraged left the forum.

Some of us still poke our heads in every now and then. Ironically, though, the really bad posters that offend us are gone too.

A troll needs to be fed, you see. And GAF no longer provides sustenance.

I thought this place would bounce back, but the |OT|s and communities over the last couple days have been hilariously poor, if even existent.

A lot of the time now it feels like the only people left here are fanboys and/or little kids on their parent's computers.

The only people left in the Communities are those of us who see things through till the very end. Like, we'll keep coming until we simply cannot post any longer.

Look at how active this thread is compared to the entire OT forum. You should get your answer there.

What concerns me is the number of year old Junior Member accounts suddenly posting just days after the incident last month. A lot of them are aggressive, and quite defensive about GAF despite having less then a few dozen posts. It looks bizarre, and many of them haven't posted in gaming topics.

They want to feel like they won. Let them enjoy their Pyrrhic victory.

This dead forum is still an echo chamber

except now the echo is repeating about how glad the echo chamber is gone and the posts* are more quality now somehow

*what posts?

This actually made me chuckle.

Yeah, that other forum getting a black theme is truly the final nail in the coffin.

Everyone too excited to proclaim "the king is dead."

It'll pick up one day, and 2019 will roll around and people will wonder why GAF didn't die even after its golden members left

I anticipated that there would be some "post thievery." That is, an original topic appears on one forum, and then people would copy and paste it here. But this place does not even have people ambitious or charismatic enough to create OR steal content.

Gotta separate the minority views from the contrarian views. Also, this ain't a bastion of free speech, either. That said, OT was purged, but I had a bookmarked link to a mod post explaining how conservative ideology is antithetical to the GAF population. That was an alarming thing to say coming from a moderator....

Blam

I anticipated that there would be some "post thievery." That is, an original topic appears on one forum, and then people would copy and paste it here. But this place does not even have people ambitious or charismatic enough to create OR steal content.

This is sorta difficult to do when all the new users can't post threads.

It's also just a lot of work to do something like this. I could do it for sure, but seriously don't feel like it.

nkarafo

It doesn't feel like the same people posting 24/7 making it impossible to follow any topic anymore.
Most of the posts were confirming the previous ones anyway. In the majority of them there was no new info. It was like this: "This guy/situation is mean" and then the next two pages would consist of "disgusting", "vile", "not surprised", etc, posts with the occasional skeptic who would question it and either get banned or/and being quoted for the next few pages and being called disgusting himself. You could easily compress 20 pages of noise to a single one of actual info and conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom