• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argentines seek peaceful resolution in Falklands, Brits says its settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Quebec to declare against the rest of Canada.

Demographics makes this an impossibility.

Ethnic voters (mostly in the greater Montreal area and burbs) are stalwart Canadian Federalists by 95% and makes more babies.

while the new young generation of francophone have started to drift apart from their hippie parents and began to think more globally than internally

IceCold

Aha, interesting.

I really wonder how these religious institutions back then justified the atrocities performed by all these colonial powers. The mental gymnastics they must have been doing to justify the murder and oppression of so many people must have been extraordinary.

I hadn't even thought of that.

I think the Vatican was against a lot of shit that happened. I know that the Spanish Monarchy freaked out when they heard about the atrocities that was happening in the Spanish American Colonies and created laws to protect the ingenious population (I don't know if they were enforced). The Jesuits also protected the ingenious populations and helped preserve some of their heritage by learning their language. I know what in the case of Brazil until the 18-19th century, the language mostly used was lingua geral (some type of lingua franca for the Jesuits to communicate with the Indians). All they wanted to do was convert them after all.

Ethnic voters (mostly in the greater Montreal area and burbs) are stalwart Canadian Federalists by 95% and makes more babies.

while the new young generation of francophone have started to drift apart from their hippie parents and began to think more globally than internally

Thank God for that. My cousin used to tell how he was discriminated heavily at school by Quebecers during the aftermath of the 1995 referendum for being of Portuguese descent. Basically to them, the immigrant population was the reason Quebec wasn't independent.

the Vatican didn't care about human rights back during colonial times.

the Vatican wanted Christian expansion and were happy with the assimilation of indigenous people

the Vatican spent more time being a moderator between disputing European countries over New World borders such as granting the East to Portugal and the West to Spain during the border disputes in the Amazon

Thank God for that. My cousin used to tell how he was discriminated heavily at school by Quebecers during the aftermath of the 1995 referendum for being of Portuguese descent. Basically to them, the immigrant population was the reason Quebec wasn't independent.
yup, I am a Portuguese-Canadian myself who grew up in the burbs of Montreal and it was true about ethnic resentment the day after. I was 20 at the time and voted NO with my entire family and we lived in a predominantly separatist neighborhood. There were no altercations but the silent icy cold look in peoples eyes when they heard another language was palpable to the bones during the line-up to the ballot box and the following months after their defeat they blamed ethnic voters unanimously and federal campaigning.

the reason why ethnic voters are staunch federalist is because being Canadian means anybody is welcome to be Canadian and we appreciate that open tent mentality of Trudeau's just society.

Quebec nationalists think of their nationalism to closely and internally and not open at all to people who are not like them, making it harder for ethnics to identify with Quebec nationalists pushing them into the open arms of Canadian acceptance of all.

Slayven

Don't destroy my fantasy of men riding moose epicly into battle.

Shepard

Exactly the point I was making, most people that think Argentina should have them simply because of geography and if that actually matters fuck Cuba even Canada should belong to America, Portugal should give its self to Spain, Australia should rule new Zealand and so on

All of your examples are independent countries, they shouldn't "belong" to anyone now.

All of your examples are independent countries, they shouldn't "belong" to anyone now.

So what the falklands are totally independent from Argentina (especially having never been part of it) if they choose to be part of the british empire that's their choice

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The fuck is this shit? It´s Argentinian territory and should be giving back to Argentina.

It has been British for longer than Argentina has been a nation and had no indigenous inhabitants. The British took it and claimed it legally and uncontested long before they knew it had any resources beyond grass and dirt. In fact, even though there were a few territorial disputes, the British were granted sovereignty peacefully and legally by Spain.

Xavien

I guess we should be thankful of the Falklands War, gave us a kick up the arse and made us start modernizing our army and navy after decades of neglect and cutbacks.

But ultimately its the citizens of the Falklands who should have the final say and they want to be British.

Shepard

So what the falklands are totally independent from Argentina (especially having never been part of it) if they choose to be part of the british empire that's their choice

Agreed, the residents opinions are clearly more important than the geographic factor, but that doesn't make it an invalid argument.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Maybe Christina should focus on the Argentinian economy. And maybe train her fighter pilots to learn how to juke missiles.

They didn't even know to dodge when missles were shot at them.

Or give the islands back to their original ruler:

peter-falk.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Maybe Christina should focus on the Argentinian economy.

She's managed to make the economy appear strong for the time being by dumping money they don't really have into projects and making promises she won't and can't keep. Now she has to focus on tricking people into thinking other areas are improving before the economy collapses again.

JJD

I think the Vatican was against a lot of shit that happened. I know that the Spanish Monarchy freaked out when they heard about the atrocities that was happening in the Spanish American Colonies and created laws to protect the ingenious population (I don't know if they were enforced). The Jesuits also protected the ingenious populations and helped preserve some of their heritage by learning their language. I know what in the case of Brazil until the 18-19th century, the language mostly used was lingua geral (some type of lingua franca for the Jesuits to communicate with the Indians). All they wanted to do was convert them after all.

Huh? We have been speaking portuguese since we were discovered. The indian population here was not numerous, and really fragmented. The portuguese didn't have a problem dealing with most of then, outside a few very aggressive tribes. Most brazilian indians spoke a variation of Guarani.

The indigenous population of the rest of Latin America (such as the Incas), and Central America (Aztecs) where much more advanced.

the Vatican didn't care about human rights back during colonial times.

the Vatican wanted Christian expansion and were happy with the assimilation of indigenous people

the Vatican spent more time being a moderator between disputing European countries over New World borders such as granting the East to Portugal and the West to Spain during the border disputes in the Amazon

Also this.

I propose nothing, things should stay the way they are, but saying geography is an irrelevant factor here is just plain wrong.

To sum up the history of the Falklands:

Before 1500's the FI are uninhabited, Argentina doesn't exist as a nation.
In the 1700's British settlers move in and FI's recognised as a British colony, Argentina still doesn't exist as a nation.
In the 1800's Britain recognises Argentina as a free and independent nation to irritate the Spanish.
In 1982, Argentina unilaterally invade the Falklands to hide economic failures of the government, after a short war Argentinian forces are repelled and forced back. They leave thousands of land mines on their way back.
In 2011 Argentina try and ratchet up the pressure again to cover up more economic failures by the government and hold up the leader's ratings.

Where in that list does Argentina have any claim on the Falklands other than being nearby?

I think we should give it to Argentina, what good is it to us?

Oil. Lots of it.

I think we should give it to Argentina, what good is it to us?

Oil, and possibly lots of it. We may lose the resources we have in Scotland soon enough, you can bet the government won't want to lose both.

"The Falklands belong to Britain" *may have seen Iron Lady recently*

Bo-Locks

you're delusional if you think the opinion of 3100 people, composed primarily by Britain "immigrants" who want to stay with their home-country should be the only decinding factor here.

Many of the immigrants have been there for 5+ generations. Much longer than a lot of the Argentine population.

Geography is also irrelevant. Should the French be allowed to claim the Channel Islands simply because they're closer to France? Should the Spanish be allowed to claim Gibraltar as their own?

Argentina has no case whatsoever.

Ironically, the only correct part of your post was the use of inverted commas around the word 'immigrants'.

Kurtofan

The Malouines Islands should belong to France, we settled there first.Problem solved.

Geography is also irrelevant. Should the French be allowed to claim the Channel Islands simply because they're closer to France? Should the Spanish be allowed to claim Gibraltar as their own?
'immigrants'.
Well the Channel Islands were ours but the English wouldn't let them go even after we took Normandy!

Jorge Luis Borges once described the '82 war as "two bald men fighting over a comb".

But then that was before anyone knew there was any oil there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom