• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane and Spencer promised Redfall will be their most supported game post-launch, 3 months later Redfall no updates, users are angry for being lied

Bernoulli

M2 slut
This was said by Arkane and spencer a month before launch

Now users are angry because arkane and phil lied to them, they should at least refund the game to people that want that

I think the silence from Arkane, Bethesda and Xbox here is absolutely deafening. I love Xbox and I love Phill Spencer, but we as a community absolutely have to hold them accountable when things go wrong and they don't support their community as promised.

Phill Spencer said that Redfall "Would continue to be supported" and I'm sure it will... Eventually. But the lack of communication and sheer time that's gone by without anything of any substance here is simply not good enough.

Additional characters are promised to people who paid extra for the bite back edition, 60 fps was promised for Xbox Series X users, but the fact they literally haven't even had ONE SINGLE SUBSTANTIAL UPDATE in 3 months is alarming, this concern only grows worse by the fact the devs haven't given any real update on when we can actually expect any of the promised content.

The only "Updates" the game has received would be regarded as hot fixes at best by other dev teams. This seems to have gone largely unnoticed by many as this game very quickly dropped off the radar.

But promises were made by Phill and the devs while content was pre-purchased by the consumers. Bare minimum Arkane need to communicate their intent soon, give people an update on what we can expect and when we can expect it. Then, they need to deliver on those dates and if not, be held accountable.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not to defend a shit game like that but 3 months they cant do miracles my guys. Elden Ring will get its expansion like what, 3 years after its release? Cyberpunk took almost a year or two to get fixed properly and another for its expansion. The dev time for content has increased 10 times vs pre-covid for some fucking reason.

cireza

liar-mad.gif

if they don't fix they should just allow anyone with the game to get a refund
imagine paying 70$ and now you have this
I don't disagree.

But I'm also uncertain new IP, panned from launch day and released day one on Gamepass sold that much in physical form. Not to say that whoever bought it doesn't deserve an apology and something in return, Microsoft shouldn't have hyped and released such a product.

EDIT:

In Microsoft and Activision’s recently published public filing of findings in the ongoing legal case against the Federal Trade Commission (via Florian Mueller on Twitter), Microsoft has revealed that Redfall has “generated minimum sales”, though the company hasn’t provided any specific numbers for how much the title has sold.
Source: https://gamingbolt.com/redfall-has-generated-minimal-sales-microsoft

They should just refund people with a copy, yeah.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I don't disagree.

But I'm also uncertain new IP, panned from launch day and released day one on Gamepass sold that much in physical form. Not to say that whoever bought it doesn't deserve an apology and something in return, Microsoft shouldn't have hyped and released such a product.
if it didn't sell that much it should be even easier for them to refund everyone or give them a gift, imagine all gamers that don't foolow reviews and just got the game without knowing anything

if it didn't sell that much it should be even easier for them to refund everyone or give them a gift, imagine all gamers that don't foolow reviews and just got the game without knowing anything
No doubt about that. And giving them gamepass for a few months would cost them nothing to boot.

Digital sales are easy to refund, physical though, perhaps harder or a bad precedent to set.

Refunding the digital purchases alone could create bad rap if the press picked on it, BUT, that's precisely what sony did with Cyberpunk 2077 and nobody complained. If you had the physical version you were screwed basically.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Not to defend a shit game like that but 3 months they cant do miracles my guys. Elden Ring will get its expansion like what, 3 years after its release? Cyberpunk took almost a year or two to get fixed properly and another for its expansion. The dev time for content has increased 10 times vs pre-covid for some fucking reason.
A expansion that will be paid separatly and promised content cut at launch is not the same thing. Cyberpunk was a overpromise situation but with a lot of fixes made and constant communication. They also refunded the game to all that wanted it, to the point of being punished by Sony from it. What surprised me the most is the fact that some people in the Xbox Series X subreddit consider that Microsoft should offer a partial refund and stop working on it. This is crazy for me. How can the trust that Xbox have from the community is so low?

In Redfall case, the best we can hope for is a No mans sky scenario, where the studio worked hard and made a big patch to make the game better. And that can take time. But the silence harmed the team behind No man sky until they delivered. And Xbox is a lot bigger than them. They should know better. On top of that if people payed for content they deserve to know when it will be in the game. It is funny that when I am writing this I can see a similar thread where Phil Spencer says "Arkane Has good timeline for 60fps on Xbox" . Why promise things and be optimistic on them but then stop talking as soon as the money is taken?

Gojiira

Hahaha par for the course from Phil and Xbox, lie after lie after shit game after shit game.
Theres nothing they can do to salvage this game, its fundamentally shit, a GaaS looter shooter with everything stripped out and no content, it would need a remake or substantial gameplay overhaul to amount to anything. Best just forget about it, lesson learned for supporting Xbox.

Hahaha par for the course from Phil and Xbox, lie after lie after shit game after shit game.
Theres nothing they can do to salvage this game, its fundamentally shit, a GaaS looter shooter with everything stripped out and no content, it would need a remake or substantial gameplay overhaul to amount to anything. Best just forget about it, lesson learned for supporting Xbox.
I'm not necessarily on that field, xbox needs games and it would be great if this game was great. But being done by Arkane is a bit like expecting the Super Mario team to make a good FPS, or the Forza team to make a good WRPG (which I hope they do and understand they built a team from the ground up to do - so they just might), in a lot of ways I think Arkane was set to fail from the start here.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Its not even worth supporting.

Id rather Arkane just move on to whatever their next project is instead of wasting time and talent trying to fix this.
No FF14 revival for Redfall, just let it die.

People still holding out for Redfall to get good need to realign their expectations.

P.S People paid for Redfall?????

Roberts

I'm actually waiting for them to update it with fixes and 60fps. I hope it happens, because there is a lot to like about it from the hour or so I have played.

damidu

faster they leave this clusterfuck in the dust better imo,
but they’ll at least have to come up with a 60fps patch after officially promising it, otherwise it’ll remain a black eye throughout the gen.

Gojiira

I'm not necessarily on that field, xbox needs games and it would be great if this game was great. But being done by Arkane is a bit like expecting the Super Mario team to make a good FPS, or the Forza team to make a good WRPG (which I hope they do and understand they built a team from the ground up to do - so they just might), in a lot of ways I think Arkane was set to fail from the start here.
Except Arkane have a long history of semi/quasi/fully open world FPS games, they werent set up to fail, they just had a terrible idea with poor management and the wrong team (I forget which ‘Arkane’ team made it). Either way they had a lot of knowledge from previous games to build from so if anything they had all set up for success.
Xbox just compounds the problem, I dont believe Phil when he said Xbox was ‘hands off during Redfall dev’ thats bullshit just to save face, they should have offered more resources.
Honestly just look at how Sony works with partners, not only do they offer Xdev to assist with making the game, but also offer mocap studios, tech or even full game engines. Its night and day …

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's what happens when you spend budget to burn a house down to test the fire retardness of the Series S. These things won't solve themselves.

As THRILLHO said, "Folks, we're through the looking glass here".

VN1X

Banned
Such a shame what happened with this project. And to think I was fully on board during the early days, even when it already looked a bit iffy.

Turns out Arkane are mere mortals (and perhaps MS also had a hand in the mismanagement of the game?).

Except Arkane have a long history of semi/quasi/fully open world FPS games, they werent set up to fail, they just had a terrible idea with poor management and the wrong team (I forget which ‘Arkane’ team made it). Either way they had a lot of knowledge from previous games to build from so if anything they had all set up for success.
Xbox just compounds the problem, I dont believe Phil when he said Xbox was ‘hands off during Redfall dev’ thats bullshit just to save face, they should have offered more resources.
Honestly just look at how Sony works with partners, not only do they offer Xdev to assist with making the game, but also offer mocap studios, tech or even full game engines. Its night and day …
I don't think they were set up for success at all, but as you pointed it isn't as out on leftfield as the examples I gave.

I understand how someone looking at their recent games, which were first person, thought it was an easy fit for them. This said, they didn't exactly have a track record/claim in multiplayer. Regardless, I agree nobody could have predicted how bad the end product would be.

Ozzie666

Did they at least release a road map of the road map like Anthem or Star Citizen?

Good developer and they deserve better. There must be a heck of story behind the scenes for this game's implosion. They are far too talented.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Man, the four people still playing this dumpster fire are in for a long road of disappointment. Halo Infinite - Microsoft's flagship franchise, whose iconography is literally inside the console - was, effectively, abandoned and the studio was gutted. I doubt they do much of anything with Redfall except pretend it doesn't exist.
I recall that it was Sony and not CD Projekt that flooded with refund requests from players made the initiative to refund everyone in an unprecedented move of "if your game doesn't meet minimum costumer satisfaction we we'll refund it" move.
Rofl, no. CDPR refunded all copies of Cyberpunk 2077 on all platforms after the initial backlash. Sony, faced with a spotlight on their terrible refund practices after CDPR's high profile "refunds for everyone" press release, responded by delisting CDPR's game entirely to ensure they refunded as few copies as possible. They were the only platform to do this. Sony happily sells borderline broken asset flips on PSN today because none of them are high profile enough to make headlines about how terrible refunds are on PSN.

Last edited:
The quote " I love Xbox and Phil Spencer" there lies the problem.

The fan base is full of deluded clowns and unpaid shills who love a CEO who for years and years has lied, sold dreams, underdelivered and couldn't get games out the door, all while crying about hard it is.

He's back to being the hero after getting out daddy's credit card and buying half the industry. To deliver the same 3rs party games Xbox were already getting.

Roni

Gold Member
Arkane is great at designing games, but their technical support is lacking. Always has been. I played Dishonored 2 years after it released and still ran into a known crash that had been caught and reported right after launch.

They haven't really supported their best titles (Dishonored 2, Prey) so I don't think they'll support this given its reception and their internal feelings towards the project.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be fair, putting out significant additional content ~3 months after release is a fairly tall order if you think about it, especially if the main game has come in "hot".
If you think about it, the team has most likely been crunching hard to get the thing out, and by the time the final is accepted they'll be ready to take a well-earned break. That'll certainly be how management will have presented the situation to them.

But, if the reality is more crunch to fix significant bugs, plus start work on the additional content that needs to be finished in another few weeks... that's just going to be demoralizaing. Especially if its a project that's had less then total buy-in creatively throughout on their part, and now it basically needs to be redeemed in the eyes of the audience... Just saying, if you found yourself in that position how happy would you be in your work?

Not to say that users shouldn't feel disappointed, angry, or misled. My point is simply that this isn't the work of malfunctioning robots, its made by humans who are going to react to the situation they find themselves in, and that reaction is going to impact their performance and productivity. Which in turn is going to have further effects on the project.

Top Bottom