• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane: Redfall Playtest Image leaks

kyussman

giphy.gif
Ha,ha...that's the exact look I had on my face when they announced their new game would be a co-op shooter.

Anyone who can't see this is early work is obviously just trolling. You're literally seeing weapon tiers over the crates in the image below. You are seeing "misc gear" over another and "named weapon" over another. Next you're seeing "loot zoo" then you're seeing hazard UV, Hazard Death Mist, Hazard Fire, Hazard Ravens, Hazard Electric. Is it too hard to ask some to use their common sense here? In other pictures you actually see scripting markers for things like enemy spawning, population spawning and god knows what else.

All of this should tell any calm and reasonable person that everything shown is very early work, but we aren't dealing with calm or reasonable people are we? (see what I did there? :p)

hYBRP13.png

elliot5

Anyone who can't see this is early work is obviously just trolling. You're literally seeing weapon tiers over the crates in the image below. You are seeing "misc gear" over another and "named weapon" over another. Next you're seeing "loot zoo" then you're seeing hazard UV, Hazard Death Mist, Hazard Fire, Hazard Ravens, Hazard Electric. Is it too hard to ask some to use their common sense here? In other pictures you actually see scripting markers for things like enemy spawning, population spawning and god knows what else.

All of this should tell any calm and reasonable person that everything shown is very early work, but we aren't dealing with calm or reasonable people are we? (see what I did there? :p)

hYBRP13.png
on a positive note, I like the tiers and there seems to be plenty of hazards for the player to encounter (probably more not shown, too?)

UI looks nice and simple, but stylish and readible. And the gun/hand looks clean with the Arkane style.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah. Really annoys me but the change of strategy was inevitable.

As far as i'm aware their only successful game in years has been Doom Eternal. If they didn't have Fallout/Elder Scrolls I doubt they'd last more than a few years.

I was pissed at the MS aquisition at first, but when i thought about it, came to the conclusion that it was for the best
It seems only some big SP franchises (solely SP or the main mode is SP) are giant sellers. Although successful indie games can be anything.

The trend for success starting from the 360/PS3 gen was tack on MP. Now it's MP, but with that party mode/hipster angle to it where each character is more of a woke-ish diversity (heavy into style and attitude), vs. the traditional spy, soldier, heavy class based diversity.

Arkane finally game up on the SP game (even though they got good reviews) because there's more hype and money with a MP coop party game. And no doubt it'll be jam packed with mtx.

Last edited:

CheeseCake

I love how people are saying we are still 11 months away from release but are forgetting 341i had an entire year to polish Halo Infinite and it's already gonna lack coop and forge at launch...
Just Sayin GIF

Also, did anyone else notice the little microtransaction shop?:messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Halo Infinite is 2-3 games put together of this size.

Just it's campaign co-op will be the size of this game.

There is a reason why 343i fuck up everytime.

Just look at the amount of things to do in Halo 5. It's like 3-4 games stitched together.

Ozriel

M$FT
I love how people are saying we are still 11 months away from release but are forgetting 341i had an entire year to polish Halo Infinite and it's already gonna lack coop and forge at launch...
Just Sayin GIF

Also, did anyone else notice the little microtransaction shop?:messenger_sunglasses:

Award winning director Cory Barlog: “games are usually UGLY until close to release. That’s how development works”

You: “Hurr, durr game developers must waste time needlessly polishing up slices for play tests! Visuals are the most important thing when testing gameplay mechanics”

I think I’ll go with Barlog on this one :)

Remember cyberpunk? Any studio can fuck up.
Did you also post this sage opinion in the Ragnarok thread?

This game is gonna be a big deal next year. I see a lot of fantastic co-op fun on the horizon. We'll see in due time.

Last edited:
I think Arkane Should stick to a single player games. Kinda surprised MS didn’t have them as the devs behind the new Perfect Dark (cyberpunk espionage seems like a good fit for them), but maybe they were too busy already.

Stuart360

I think Arkane Should stick to a single player games. Kinda surprised MS didn’t have them as the devs behind the new Perfect Dark (cyberpunk espionage seems like a good fit for them), but maybe they were too busy already.
Perfect Dark was in devlopmet look before Zenimax was bought.
Plus we have yet to see anything rom PD, it could end up an amazing game for all we know. Plus i'm not super keen on Acanes art style to be honest.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well judging by the reviews, I'm positive Arkane will be just fine. 👍

Redfall will most likely turn out even better next summer.

Still not sure, myself. A few of the folks who I trust/respect have given it some high praise so I am definitely excited about that.

I will remain a healthy level of skepticism on their future releases.

Arkane proves themselves over and over yet people here are asking them to prove themselves after Dark Messiah, Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Prey, and now a new hit, Deathloop. Fuck off.

Last edited:

Greggy

Arkane proves themselves over and over yet people here are asking them to prove themselves after Dark Messiah, Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Prey, and now a new hit, Deathloop. Fuck off.
I think the hate is starting to quiet down a bit since people saw Deathloop's scores. Another game that seemed to be triggering people everytime it was mentioned or shown.
Microsoft doesn't buy these guys and I'm sure they are mentioned among the top dev studios of the moment.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think the hate is starting to quiet down a bit since people saw Deathloop's scores. Another game that seemed to be triggering people everytime it was mentioned or shown.
Microsoft doesn't buy these guys and I'm sure they are mentioned among the top dev studios of the moment.

That is a disingenuous way to look at it. Most people were critical because of the poor marketing and trailers - something even a number of critics/reviewers noted (such as Gmanlives and ACG). People see the reviews and finally get an understanding of what this game was.

People jumping to conclusion based on leak without any confirmation by devs. Smh.

Arkane proven themselves as solid developers. So these salty ps fanboys hating them just coz they own by MS now. Thats the only reason ,these people are not real gamers

My early impressions of this leak:
  • We have had three Borderland games. Now we are getting Tiny Tina's adventures. Do we really need another Borderlands-type game?
  • Is this the best use of Arkane? I absolutely do not think so. Arkane's strength was that they did what no one else did. Now they are making a very generic looter-shooter game.
  • The game isn't ready yet, but they already have the "Item Shop" ready. I'm expecting tons of MTX. MTX in an Arkane game. Let that sink in.
  • Although it is Alpha, the graphics look horrible. Graphics will definitely improve, but by how much? They are targeting a Summer 2022 release, so ~9 months from now. For reference, it's a current-gen only game (so not being held by old gen), and will likely have even less time than God of War Ragnarok when it comes to visual improvements before release.
Great leak, by the way. Lots of info and actual screenshots.
What were you thinking before typing all that diarrhoea here?

Windows central assuming its alpha but no official confirmation of how old build is? Why so quick to jump to conclusion and post so much nonsense

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Windows central assuming its alpha but no official confirmation of how old build is? Why so quick to jump to conclusion and post so much nonsense
  1. Since you only addressed my 4th point, you agreed with my first three points? Good. 🤝
  2. Now, regarding the "old build", why are you assuming it's an old build? The leaker said that they tested the build "today" and then leaked everything a couple of hours later. Now what makes more sense: to have testers test an old build that is no longer relevant or to bring in testers to have them test the latest build? It's obviously the latest build.
Having said that, as I mentioned in another comment, I'm not that worried about the graphics as they will improve for sure. My biggest complaints remain the direction of the game and whether it's the best use of Arkane's talent. These guys made such a unique game like Prey. Now they are working on a very generic-looking looter-shooter. I wish they were doing something like Dishonored, Prey, or Deathloop.

Safe to say everyone itt looks like a fool post Deathloop reviews?
Even before the reviews alot of it was FUD. This game will at worst considering arkanes track record be a 75/100 and at best a 90...plus its a GAAS that can be played solo but has a 30 million user base (more?) because its going to be on gamepass...no matter how you slice it its going to be a massive game next year. It has sea of thieves reach with a far more mass appeal premise and gameplay loop.

1. Since you only addressed my 4th point, you agreed with my first three points? Good. 🤝
  2. Now, regarding the "old build", why are you assuming it's an old build? The leaker said that they tested the build "today" and then leaked everything a couple of hours later. Now what makes more sense: to have testers test an old build that is no longer relevant or to bring in testers to have them test the latest build? It's obviously the latest build.
Having said that, as I mentioned in another comment, I'm not that worried about the graphics as they will improve for sure. My biggest complaints remain the direction of the game and whether it's the best use of Arkane's talent. These guys made such a unique game like Prey. Now they are working on a very generic-looking looter-shooter. I wish they were doing something like Dishonored, Prey, or Deathloop.
RedFall was in development before Acquisition. MS not forcing them. Arkane wants to make this game.

Harvey Smith team working on different IP and other team making Redfall. They want to try different stuff and not locked to one style of games. They are versatile devs.

They have not made a bad game. Only bad project they worked or collaborated on was Young Blood but games they made on their own fully as studio were really good.

Dont judge book by its cover. Read damn thing.

bender

What time is it?
Valve was criticized when they revealed L4D instead of making Half Life. And look what happened. L4D ended up as legendary franchise.

So judge when game is out

And then they stopped making them. And then we got Evolved. And now Back 4 Blood. Moral of the Story: Fuck Valve.

Leo9

It's too early to say the game is a "very generic-looking looter shooter". Let's wait for a gameplay trailer first, but I doubt it will be generic.
Pete Hines said:

It's not the same as just any four-player co-op shooter, it's doing a lot of things that Arkane is well known for and has spent the last 20+ years refining and honing and get really good at and I'm super excited for folks to see more of Redfall and what it's doing.

To coin a phrase from another game publisher it is not a Leroy Jenkins game, this is not a game you're going to do very well if you just go running in guns blazing. It requires a bit more thoughtful approach especially dealing with some of these bosses like we show you in the trailer.

They said 'Hey, we want to take another step and do something else and this is where we're going to go'. It's a pretty big leap for them and a pretty big change, but at the same time they would sort of walk us through and they would say 'Here's all the things that we feel like Arkane is known for and does well and how we're going to bring these to the next game, and here's some things that we've never done or tried before that we've always really wanted to do and we think would make a really awesome game'.
They want to make a a really interesting shooter that has a real sense of place and it's very dynamic, it's constantly changing, you never really feel like you played the same game twice. I am so excited for Redfall, I did not wear that shirt as a marketing thing, I am a huge fan and proponent of this game. I've been so excited as it's gone through development.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's too early to say the game is a "very generic-looking looter shooter". Let's wait for a gameplay trailer first, but I doubt it will be generic.
Pete Hines said:
I hope it's not. 🤞

It's just that no one does immersive sim action games anymore. SE did it with Deus Ex, and that IP is almost dead at this stage. Arkane was the best at this. I don't want them to abandon this genre.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
RedFall was in development before Acquisition. MS not forcing them. Arkane wants to make this game.

Harvey Smith team working on different IP and other team making Redfall. They want to try different stuff and not locked to one style of games. They are versatile devs.

They have not made a bad game. Only bad project they worked or collaborated on was Young Blood but games they made on their own fully as studio were really good.

Dont judge book by its cover. Read damn thing.
FYI -- Never said that MS is forcing them to make this game.

Greggy

That is a disingenuous way to look at it. Most people were critical because of the poor marketing and trailers - something even a number of critics/reviewers noted (such as Gmanlives and ACG). People see the reviews and finally get an understanding of what this game was.
It wasn’t the marketing or trailer that people were critical of but the game itself. People weren’t saying that they were lacking an understanding for what it was. They were outright calling it garbage/deathpoop and that only stopped when an underwhelming number of reviews assessed it to be a superior game.
All I’m saying is being an MS studio had a lot to do with the willingness to ignore Arkane’s track record when judging an unreleased game. The same goes for Redfall.
If you could get your facts straight before calling me disingenuous that would be great.

And then they stopped making them. And then we got Evolved. And now Back 4 Blood. Moral of the Story: Fuck Valve.
Back 4 blood and Evolve not made by valve. My point was just coz one studio makes certain type games that doesn't mean they cant make other type of games.

You all just want SP games as most of you all either suck at multiplayer or got no social life.

Some of us who live healthy social life dont mind coop games to play with friends, we not loners like some of people on forum who just want Solo story games.

Moment you guys see a single player game studio makes coop or multiplayer type of games you all start bashing it. What's wrong if Arkane wants to make Borderlands type game?. Smh. Attitude of some of the people here is so stupid that it pisses me off. Game not even out and you all grab pitchforks

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
YOU said waste of their talent. Ignoring the fact Arkane themselves wants to make it. No one from outside told them to make coop action game
Bruh, you're projecting and assuming things I never said. Please quote me where I said that MS is forcing Arkane to make this game. I will be waiting.

Is this the best use of Arkane? I absolutely do not think so. Arkane's strength was that they did what no one else did. Now they are making a very generic looter-shooter game

Arkanes strength is (not 'was') that they make great games, period.

And just by your wording ("Is this the best use of Arkane" instead of "Is this the best decision from Arkane"), it's clear you're insinuating MS is forcing them to make a 'generic looter shooter'.
Redfall didn't just start development after the Zenimax acquisition.

I wish they were doing something like Dishonored, Prey, or Deathloop.

Arkane literally JUST dropped Deathloop today. At the time of your post I'm responding to (and I bet even now), you had not even touched the game..yet you'd rather the Austin team made 'something like Deathloop'? Whoa buddy..how about you go and see if you even enjoy Deathloop first.

You supposedly feel like the Austin team is talented, but you won't give them the benefit of the doubt for seeing that there are no open world co-op shooters with their signature gameplay mechanics (and decided to take a shot at it)?

Doubt if you want to..

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It wasn’t the marketing or trailer that people were critical of but the game itself. People weren’t saying that they were lacking an understanding for what it was. They were outright calling it garbage/deathpoop and that only stopped when an underwhelming number of reviews assessed it to be a superior game.
All I’m saying is being an MS studio had a lot to do with the willingness to ignore Arkane’s track record when judging an unreleased game. The same goes for Redfall.
If you could get your facts straight before calling me disingenuous that would be great.

I do have my facts straight. We literally have dozens of threads about Deathloop discussing it since its initial reveal where on GAF that prove *exactly* what I stated.

Project less, kiddo.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
eh, I'll wait til they intended footage is released. It's an alpha, who knows what plans they have for the game?

No use in making a conclusion either way at this point.

CitizenZ

Banned
Well, i went to Steam to see what this game was and it brought up Red Falls: Season 1. It looks to be an adventure, educational, work out game so I added it to the old wishlist.

Top Bottom