• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Alpha - March 5th - 25 Euros

Keasar

Wow, only 25 Euro? Bohemia you have my wallet.

Edit: Wait, Im confused, so if I buy the Alpha pack for 25 Euros, I get the beta AND the full game when its done? So the "Beta" and "Full Game" price points lower down is a price increase over time similar to what Minecraft did?

Orgun

Wow, only 25 Euro? Bohemia you have my wallet.

Edit: Wait, Im confused, so if I buy the Alpha pack for 25 Euros, I get the beta AND the full game when its done? So the "Beta" and "Full Game" price points lower down is a price increase over time similar to what Minecraft did?

Basically you're buying the game for 25 euro and getting access to the alpha/beta.

Sethos

Banned
Nice to finally see some shots where they don't use their awful PP by the way, also those last shots. Man they ruin the IQ completely.

BadTaste

a3_st_11.jpg

I see the shadows haven't changed at all from A2.

Afrikan

Bohemia was one of the studios listed on that Playstation Meeting poster.

I'm sure they were also listed during Sony's PS3's presentation as well. :(

In their last blog they said ArmA 3 is PC exclusive.

Probably the best choice. Arma games are just too complex for console gamers.

The sheer number of controls would make playing on a controller impossible.

You simply can't port over arma games without dumbing them down and that should never happen.

Xyber

Probably the best choice. Arma games are just too complex for console gamers.

The sheer number of controls would make playing on a controller impossible.

You simply can't port over arma games without dumbing them down and that should never happen.

They already have controller support in A3 if I'm not mistaken.

Devs already stated that they revamped controls and game to make it more accessible not dumbed-down, it was in the E3 videos.

demolitio

Well, it looks like I'm going to be the sucker to preorder for the alpha access although it does give you a good deal on the price of the game. If you know you're going to get it, might as well buy it now since the price will go up with the beta and then the full game. Kind of a nice system for the dedicated fanbase to get it early for cheaper out of faith.

Any other alpha players that will want to mess around a bit if possible, add "Demolitio2".

DayZ will come to PS4, that's all

Yea, that's the most obvious choice. I laughed during the PS4 presentation when their UI picture showed a user with the name DayZ100. That on top of their studio on the support list should tell us it's more than just a coincidence or someone using the name as just a play on "Daisy".

Diman

Great way of BIS to support the early buyers.
If you buy the supporters edition you also get ARMA meaning you get access to all the previous released games and dlc!

BIS has my 25 euro's.

Xyber

Yea but its pretty gimped because of the sheer number of controls in arma you cant cover them all with a controller.

a2keylayout.png

Complexity needs to stay.

Yeah, I know all about the complex controls in Arma. But adapting the most important features to a controller and keeping some of the complexity is still possible. Yes, it would be a dumbed down version if it was released on consoles, but why is that a bad thing? As long as they focus all attention on the PC version and then port it to consoles when it's done then you have nothing to worry about. You are still going to play it on PC like it's supposed to be played anyway. People might like the console version enough to then go and buy the PC version to get the full experience. That means more money for Bohemia that can go into improving the game further.

Sethos

Banned
As long as they focus all attention on the PC version and then port it to consoles when it's done then you have nothing to worry about.

You don't know much about ArmA, do you? I'd like their full attention on the PC version at all times, as the game and the engine is a wooly hector that needs constant care and attention.

They shouldn't be faffing around with a console version where most people don't give a shit about a game like this in the first place.

Xyber

You don't know much about ArmA, do you? I'd like their full attention on the PC version at all times, as the game and the engine is a wooly hector that needs constant care and attention.

They shouldn't be faffing around with a console version where most people don't give a shit about a game like this in the first place.

I know enough. I'm not saying they should just abandon the PC version when it's done to focus their full attention on a console version. But if they decide to make a console version then a smaller team can work on that after the PC version is done. And my guess is that Day Z will be the thing ported to consoles if anything, that has a much larger audience than regular ArmA on consoles.

demolitio

No kidding. Like I said earlier, I think DayZ will hit consoles and that's because it has a lot of popularity behind it still, but the ArmA series wouldn't stand a chance in the console market. The amount of work it'd take to get everything on console wouldn't be covered by the inevitable lackluster sales from a hardcore niche title. They would have to change the game way too much to make it exciting to enough people and it's just not worth it.

There's a difference between a "hardcore" console shooter and a truly hardcore PC game with a lot of sim elements and more controls than 99% of games and it's not like they're all useless and could be cut for a console version because you'd be missing half the game that makes it what it is. It's not a simple walk and shoot game. The game has so much going on at all times that it'd hard for a lot of PC's to run it still which is why optimization for years to come is always planned...lol

I couldn't see this game being big enough on consoles to even warrant the work. Not saying it isn't possible, but most likely not even worth it. But like I said, I think DayZ is going to be on consoles if the conference was anything to go by.

Radix

Neo Member
I'm quite excited for this. I'd buy the Supporter Edition if I didn't already have ARMA X, so deluxe it is!

Phinor

This will sound absolutely ridiculous but there's pretty much one thing that stops me from being excited about Arma 3 and that is the terrible and robotic radio messages (to-our-front-close, seven-engage-that-man etc.) That feature has not improved in ten years (OFP to Arma 2 and Arma 3 gameplay videos from last year still have the same problem) but is there any hope that it might be better in Arma 3 at some point?

Such a mood killer that one.

Can't wait!

Above all I want a better performing engine. Yes better graphics are much appreciated as Arma2 is looking dull lately but I need to be able to hit that opfor at ~800 in MP without all of the interpolation.

I cannot wait to see what an Alpha of a BI game looks like. I think I played one when I bought the retail ArmA2.

Love making mods with this series though, bring on next Tuesday! SimCity and ArmA3 alpha! Woo!

This will sound absolutely ridiculous but there's pretty much one thing that stops me from being excited about Arma 3 and that is the terrible and robotic radio messages (to-our-front-close, seven-engage-that-man etc.) That feature has not improved in ten years (OFP to Arma 2 and Arma 3 gameplay videos from last year still have the same problem) but is there any hope that it might be better in Arma 3 at some point?

Such a mood killer that one.

You, will, buy it

and

you, will, like it.

Me yesterday: Welp, just waiting on my PC upgrade to get here sometime soon so I can build for Sim City. (and free Bioshock/Tomb Raider/every other game my PC runs like ass).

Me today: Lets fucking go Newegg/Amazon, DIDN'T YOU HEAR?! ARMA 3!!

Really excited for this, hope the performance isn't absolutely abysmal and not too many pathfinding issues. Realize it's an alpha but one would hope with the time they've had it'll work better than Arma II did at first.

Have they put up a recommended system requirements thing yet?

Top Bottom