• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Alpha - March 5th - 25 Euros

Sethos

Banned
Have they put up a recommended system requirements thing yet?

2zqpqk.png

Woot and thanks, well exceed the recommended requirements but I suppose that doesn't really mean much given the amount of options present in Arma. What's the deal with the huge discrepancy in space requirements? Is the required what the orignal product will be while the recommended is what it'll be after patches? Don't think I've played a game that let you choose whether or not to download certain textures outside of packs like Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2 and Sleeping Dogs.

Feature

Banned
Whilst I'm very exited for this game I will not preorder this or pay to play the Alpha (yes you get the full game too I know).

I just know what a mess Arma 2 was (and most of the times still is). The performance is pretty much garbage even if the game isn't the best looking. I'm just afraid this game in Alpha is going to be a disaster.

Sethos

Banned
Okay I've made the PC performance thread and will put it up Sunday night or Monday at some point, so it's ready come release.

Probably because the game looks like complete and utter dogshit on low settings, the leap when changing settings in ArmA is massive.

True, but I can't imagine they are recommending hardware for the lowest settings.

Usually Recommended is medium to high.

Sethos

Banned
True, but I can't imagine they are recommending hardware for the lowest settings.

Usually Recommended is medium to high.

I did actually misread his post as the low specs being unbelievably low, silly me. However, there's a big discrepancy in what some people call 'High' settings in ArmA. Sure you can crank up a lot of the base settings but it's when people start fiddling with view distance and video memory, that's when it all goes to shit. One of my friends kept complaining about the game for the longest time how garbage it game ran etc. until I noticed he had his view distance at 6000-7000, which is about 150% more than he should have. My 3930k has a sweet spot at around 3-4000 depending on the map.

So the game isn't that demanding as some would like to believe, just a matter of knowing the settings and realizing some of these settings are 'impossible' settings, settings that go far, far beyond what modern PCs can handle at 60FPS. View distance being the main culprit.

So I could easily see recommended being some Medium / High settings with a view distance of 2000-ish.

R1CHO

From the technical side, this is what i would like at least to have from Arma3:

*Better lighting, nights specially suck in A2. They talked about it in the past and the videos showed an improvement already.

*Better performance on urban areas. Chernolagggggg

I would be happy with only that two things. Alpha won't feautre a huge city, but still, can't wait to try it.

robin2

I did actually misread his post as the low specs being unbelievably low, silly me. However, there's a big discrepancy in what some people call 'High' settings in ArmA.
Yeah but if look at the recommended specs fro ArmA2 at its time, you basically needed the best hardware on the market to fall within them. Very different this time; so I hope the specs are realistic.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah but if look at the recommended specs fro ArmA2 at its time, you basically needed the best hardware on the market to fall within them. Very different this time; I hope the specs are realistic.

They made a ton of optimization from the release of ArmA 2 up until now, that is definitely incorporated into the new RV iteration plus they've probably made further optimization besides that. I think all the doom and gloom over performance is blown a bit out of proportion this time.

robin2

From the interview:
Early on we tried to add too many new technologies and features, not realizing we would not have the resources to finish them properly. We had to be honest with ourselves, dial back down our desires, re-focus our vision and make sure we can release a game.
Anyone knows in more detail what was ditched?

Will it be possible to upgrade your purchase version? Really want to get the supporter edition on the 5th but I just don't have the extra money at the moment.

Sethos

Banned
Someone was commenting on the poor shadows earlier. A developer just said this on the official forum;

User: Is there a higher option to make them smooth?

Dev: Yeah, there is.

$33 is a great deal for Arma 3. Very cool that they used this model of early purchasing. Actually so many good games coming out MadMartigan(Adrian Werner) would be proud, wherever he is.

Hey guys! I'm super excited for the alpha and I wanted to throw some stuff here from the BIS forums (I'm sure the big Arma heads like me already know this info).

Here is Stratis. So this is the replacement to Utes. It's a pretty good chunk of island that is hopefully more interesting than what Utes turned out to be (good for warfare pvp).

25262130.jpg

And here is big momma, Altis (formerly knows as Limnos).

altis_small.png

Here is the comparison to Chenarus.
a2a3comparison22.jpg

Here is the comparison with water.
altisvchernarus2.jpg

Note that water is now accessible to players in Arma 3 so this adds a little more size to Altis.

R1CHO

Legato do you know if there is small city or big villages in Stratis? Or is just 4-5 houses the biggest town.

Jackpot

Banned
Devs mentioned that towns were pretty small in their research of Lemnos.

Also to help people relate, the airbase we kept seeing blown up by artillery at E3 is Air Base Stratis on the map.

Sethos

Banned
Won't see those big cities any more. All those buildings are extremely CPU intensive and even more so when they render interior as well.

Won't see those big cities any more. All those buildings are extremely CPU intensive and even more so when they render interior as well.

Well, interiors dont need to be drawn unless really close/facing them directly/scoped mode.

Also, it's not that this should run like crap, it's that arma 2 was poorly optimized for what it was. imo.

sunnz

TBH i am not a fan of the map from what we have seen ( mainly just because it lacks any good city/towns)

Maybe they should have added in some of their owns towns instead( i don't mean this in a negative way btw)

But some parts look really good.

Wondering, when will mods be available? ( no not for dayz..................... wasteland :p)

Sethos

Banned
Also, it's not that this should run like crap, it's that arma 2 was poorly optimized for what it was. imo.

ArmA 2 ran fine for what it was - A huge sandbox military simulator, no other comes close replicating what it does. They need to optimize for people's lower end machines but my high-end machines have never struggled.

They do however need to trim down some options so people can't use them, remove or change some options as they make little to no sense and generally stop giving people too many options they can't handle.

Like, who knows that Video Memory can be a huge source of stutter and "Default" is better than "Very High", however as an AMD users ( I believe it was? ) you need to pick Very High or High to enjoy a smooth experience. I mean, that shit just doesn't make sense.

Sethos

Banned
Judging by the guy on the left, the animations are still shit :/

What an idiot comment.

Yes, please tell us your deep thoughts on the animation system based on one screenshot where a guy is doing a lean you see from an odd angle, in the dark lit up by NVGs.

Maybe you should watch a trailer or something.

Based on that screenshot, can you also tell me which graphical options will be available to us and possible and little on the gunplay? Very curious about those.

disap.ed

What an idiot comment.

Yes, please tell us your deep thoughts on the animation system based on one screenshot where a guy is doing a lean you see from an odd angle, in the dark lit up by NVGs.

Maybe you should watch a trailer or something.

Based on that screenshot, can you also tell me which graphical options will be available to us and possible and little on the gunplay? Very curious about those.

Oh come on, do you want to tell me that Arma2 animations were great? This "stick in the ass" posing is exactly what I hated about it (also kills all the immersion IMO).
Sure I shouldn't judge it by a screenshot, but I fear that this will once more kill the graphics (which look great otherwise) for me.

Sethos

Banned
Oh come on, do you want to tell me that Arma2 animations were great? This "stick in the ass" posing is exactly what I hated about it (also kills all the immersion IMO).
Sure I shouldn't judge it by a screenshot, but I fear that this will once more kill the graphics (which look great otherwise) for me.

Wait, where were we discussing ArmA 2 animations? I simply can't find those posts, did they disappear?

This is the ArmA 3 thread and BIS has said they've improved animations, had you watched a trailer you could see that straight away. So you sitting here, judging it by one screenshot is just cringeworthy.

Jackpot

Banned
This is the ArmA 3 thread and BIS has said they've improved animations, had you watched a trailer you could see that straight away. So you sitting here, judging it by one screenshot is just cringeworthy.

I'm afraid those haven't been implemented for the Alpha yet, along with the ToH flight model.

Top Bottom