• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Alpha - March 5th - 25 Euros

Spat_triate

Moar screens:

MaJdD9d.jpg

663IttS.jpg

PoCJGyv.jpg

GNzarpz.jpg

9GCyjGA.jpg

om nom fucking nom
tumblr_m9mqvoOsEX1rol1w1.gif

Those screens look like they've really improved how the lighting engine handles a wide dynamic range. Couldn't stand my screen going ultrabright or ultradark based on what I was looking at in ARMA 2.

Kinda sick of all this arabian nonsense in every game possible. D: I'd really love to see more urban environment instead. Even something Chernorussianesque would do just fine.

Oh no my friend, you have obviously never played in Fallujah before. :)

sandbox-mmo-games-dayz-fallujah-view-screenshot1.jpg

I hope the A.C.R.E team can convert their addon to the Alpha / Beta fairly quick, game is a complete different experience with it.

100% agree. That addon man..

KaiserBecks

I'm not saying they should release ArmA on consoles, but complexity isn't necessarily an issue now that consoles will likely have gesture and voice command capability (I'd be surprised if the PS4 didn't, and I know that Durango will).

Who'd want to play Arma without Mods and Custom Missions though? I think it would make sense to release Day Z on consoles once it's done, but a full fledged Arma game?
Besides (I realize this is going to make me sound really douchey): Bohemia Interactive's games are always being made for a relatively small and commited community.
I find it hard to believe that you'll find those players on consoles. We've also seen what popularity (thanks to DayZ, Wasteland and all those idiots on youtube) does to the game.

Sethos

Banned
It looks like sprites.

You're right, it should be Crysis level foliage in a game where people piss and moan about performance left and right plus the smallest of the map is bigger than all the Crysis levels combined.

But I disagree, doesn't look like sprites at all.

Wow, this game has an extremely attractive color scheme, it looks so natural.
No pissfilters no color grading, dried grass looks like dried grass, dirt looks like dirt, grassy hills look like grassy hills.

I'd like to see anteworld scale sprite forests in a game like this (and swapping to 3d models without being noticable once you get a bit closer), the forests in that tech demo look out of this world.

Feature

Banned
You're right, it should be Crysis level foliage in a game where people piss and moan about performance left and right plus the smallest of the map is bigger than all the Crysis levels combined.

But I disagree, doesn't look like sprites at all.

The moaning about performance has nothing to do with the graphics. It's just bad design / coding / optimization / whatever. But certainly not graphics.

Feature

Banned
Oh dear, the blind fanboyism. I guess if you're only familiar with ARMA 2 this looks amazing. It does actually , except the grass which looks psx era.

demolitio

Oh dear, the blind fanboyism. I guess if you're only familiar with ARMA 2 this looks amazing. It does actually , except the grass which looks psx era.

I'm no fanboy but calling it PSX era is quite the hyperbole.

Anyway, a game this large with so much going on has to have concessions somewhere so I don't think foliage was their main concern, but even then, it doesn't look that bad at all. They've done plenty of large wooded areas that actually work though. Is it the best grass in the world? No. Is it enough to make the good look horrible? Not by any means, nor does it look anything close to PSX. I guess it's also a little ironic to say that this looks amazing if people are only familiar with ArmA 2 and then you say it does actually look amazing... :D

You can nitpick if you want, but don't expect others not to give their opinions on it as well. Oh, by the way, it's not like people here only play ArmA 2, but most of us understand it's doing much more than any other game out there in areas you can see and some you can't see. I've never been a fan of the animations actually, but that's not going to stop me from enjoying the game.

Opinions are opinions in my opinion...No need for hostility on either side.

Is there anything known about the sys requirements? Any chance to play the game okay-ish with a C2D @3,6ghz? GPU really shouldn't be an issue, just did the upgrade to a HD7870, but I'm guessing the game will absolutely KILL my CPU. I'm still on the fence there though ^^

Sethos

Banned
Man, I've said it before and I will say it again: The mods over on the official BIS forums are idiots, complete and utter tossers. BIS sets up their 'pre-order' incentives, everything's great. People ask for the time one too many times and a Mod makes a thread threatening with bans and whatnot ... Then he ends the thread with

"It's enough now. One could think your life depends on if you appear in these credits (no one is reading anyway)."

While he is right, the fact that he's a public face on an official BIS source and shits on a pre-order incentive of their biggest package is hilarious.

Is there anything known about the sys requirements? Any chance to play the game okay-ish with a C2D @3,6ghz? GPU really shouldn't be an issue, just did the upgrade to a HD7870, but I'm guessing the game will absolutely KILL my CPU. I'm still on the fence there though ^^

Posted at the top of page 3.

Wait... what...? Minimum C2D @2,4ghz? Are the Arma guys known for putting out realistic minimum requirements? Because it really should work (more or less) considering my CPUs clock speed.

Are these requirements legit? I mean there is no such thing as a HD3830 (only 3850 and 3870)...

Sethos

Banned

Wait... what...? Minimum C2D @2,4ghz? Are the Arma guys known for putting out realistic minimum requirements? Because it really should work (more or less) considering my CPUs clock speed.

Are these requirements legit? I mean there is no such thing as a HD3830 (only 3850 and 3870)...

They are legit, bottom of this page;

http://www.arma3.com/buy

And yes there is :)

Good news I guess ^^ Atleast for my CPU.

Mind giving a link to the HD3830? I'm pretty sure there is no HD3830, there is a HD4830 and 5830, but no HD3830 as far as I know. There is also afaik no Geforce GTS560.. that GPU is called Geforce GTX560 (/Ti).

Fakeedit: Just googled around a bit. It exists, but it's a rebranded HD3690 which then again sort of is derived from the chip that was used in HD38xx, but with only a 128bit memory interface... well, whatever ;)

Sethos

Banned
Good news I guess ^^ Atleast for my CPU.

Mind giving a link to the HD3830? I'm pretty sure there is no HD3830, there is a HD4830 and 5830, but no HD3830 as far as I know. There is also afaik no Geforce GTS560.. that GPU is called Geforce GTX560 (/Ti).

Fakeedit: Just googled around a bit. It exists, but it's a rebranded HD3690 which then again sort of is derived from the chip that was used in HD38xx, but with only a 128bit memory interface... well, whatever ;)

As I said, they exist :p However many of these chips are OEM offshots. There's lots of GPU revisions out there you may not have heard of because they aren't cards you just go out an buy, they tend to be revisions only for OEM builds etc. Typically you list these for minimum specs because a lot of people who qualify for minimum specs tend to be shoppers of pre-built PCs.

demolitio

Man, I've said it before and I will say it again: The mods over on the official BIS forums are idiots, complete and utter tossers. BIS sets up their 'pre-order' incentives, everything's great. People ask for the time one too many times and a Mod makes a thread threatening with bans and whatnot ... Then he ends the thread with

"It's enough now. One could think your life depends on if you appear in these credits (no one is reading anyway)."

While he is right, the fact that he's a public face on an official BIS source and shits on a pre-order incentive of their biggest package is hilarious.

Posted at the top of page 3.

That's why I stopped being an active member there. Now, I just browse mod threads and that's it. I don't get why they haven't taken controls of their forum because it makes the whole community and developer look like a bunch of tools when those are the guys that are the collective face of the community for many people.

I'm not sure what the strategy is in giving the elitists even more power to annoy people and make everyone look bad.

Top Bottom