• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Alpha - March 5th - 25 Euros

demolitio

I'm just glad the TOH will be implemented at some point. I don't necessarily care if it's not in the alpha, but it's definitely nice to know it's planned. The bipod deployment feature definitely would be a nice surprise that they were talking about with the binds.

Sethos

Banned
I'm just glad the TOH will be implemented at some point. I don't necessarily care if it's not in the alpha, but it's definitely nice to know it's planned. The bipod deployment feature definitely would be a nice surprise that they were talking about with the binds.

Oh they are finally implementing bipods natively? Nice.

I can't wait to see what the ACE team comes up with this time around though.

LukeTim

Yea but its pretty gimped because of the sheer number of controls in arma you cant cover them all with a controller.

a2keylayout.png

Complexity needs to stay.

I'm not saying they should release ArmA on consoles, but complexity isn't necessarily an issue now that consoles will likely have gesture and voice command capability (I'd be surprised if the PS4 didn't, and I know that Durango will).

I'm not saying they should release ArmA on consoles, but complexity isn't necessarily an issue now that consoles will likely have gesture and voice command capability (I'd be surprised if the PS4 didn't, and I know that Durango will).

I still doubt it's possible to release Arma we know on consoles. It might not be about controls, but there are still enough... complicated things that console crowd won't find interesting and pleasing. It's like RTS on console - sure you can make it, but it will be completely different to what it is on PC.

Cover revealed BTW. Don't like it.

Orgun

Cover is a non issue for me, digital editions all the way :)

So stoked, can't wait to take part in some impromptu A3 sessions.

Steeven

I've spend so many hours in Operation Flashpoint and later on Arma & Arma II. I cannot comprehend the idea of not buying this early. I hope my PC will agree.

The wait has been killing me but I just realized I never played the Czech Republic DLC... maybe I'll buy and install that to tide me over

demolitio

Oh they are finally implementing bipods natively? Nice.

I can't wait to see what the ACE team comes up with this time around though.

Sorry, I should have clarified that it'd be a nice surprise period, not just for the alpha. They mentioned on the forum that they were keeping some infantry input keys a secret for now so the most common thing people can think of is bipod deployment finally.

But yea, ACE is going to be amazing on ArmA 3. I tried to place ArmA 2 with ACE last week after a break for a year or so and I couldn't remember any of the keys so I need to remember to make a cheat sheet this time around. :D

demolitio

Awesome screens, thanks for posting them.

It's nice to see some M14 love still. The future can't stop the M14 or any of its variants. :D

I still wish I had some buddies to play coop with. This game is so much better with other people and luckily some nice people have helped me in Wasteland.

Awesome screens, thanks for posting them.

It's nice to see some M14 love still. The future can't stop the M14 or any of its variants. :D

I still wish I had some buddies to play coop with. This game is so much better with other people and luckily some nice people have helped me in Wasteland.

We can cooperate once game alpha is out.

Sethos

Banned
I'll put up the performance thread tomorrow at around this time, so we can get the initial performance discussions and concerns out of our system before launch. Does that sound alright?

It's done so I can put it up whenever.

Also what do you call it, ArmA 3 Performance Thread or PC Performance ... Considering it's PC exclusive, the PC part seems redundant? I'm torn.

Longshot

Hell yes, gonna get the supporter edition from the BIS store, hopefully my old i5-750 and Radeon HD 5850 run it well enough, Arma 2 runs at a decent level, to say the least.

Sethos

Banned
Who's this guy?

He is a a playtester / consultant for BIS, which he has been doing since ArmA. He makes a metric ton of fantastic videos, he's the leader of the most prolific ArmA clan; ShackTac and he's basically the face of the ArmA community in my opinion and really a nice guy as well.

Arucardo

I was going to beg for a key/invite (you get 3 to give out when you "pre-order", if I read that correctly) but then I remembered that this is Arma 3 we're talking about, ofc I'm buying this myself :) .

demolitio

He is a a playtester / consultant for BIS, which he has been doing since ArmA. He makes a metric ton of fantastic videos, he's the leader of the most prolific ArmA clan; ShackTac and he's basically the face of the ArmA community in my opinion and really a nice guy as well.

He's perfect because he plays all the same games as I do. I was wondering why the hell I saw War Thunder videos in the playlist until I realized it was him and I knew I recognized his name from quite a few things including some flight sims.

We can cooperate once game alpha is out.

Sounds good. Always nice to share awesome game experiences with people and ArmA is full of them.

So can anyone tell me what to expect from ARMA III ?!

How is the story like ?!, does the character talks ?!, do you control a squad ?!, is the gameplay free where I can say use Stealth instead of action ?!, is there character and weapon customization ?!, what is the MP about ?!

How is the story like ?!, does the character talks ?!, do you control a squad ?!, is the gameplay free where I can say use Stealth instead of action ?!, is there character and weapon customization ?!, what is the MP about ?!

ArmA singleplayer?

Don't waste your time. Just look up vids about ArmA 2 mutli for example clans like Shacktac, United Operations or server mods like Wasteland or Taki life.

Sethos

Banned
I never played an ARMA game, so ......

We were just poking fun at the "?!" and you did ask a lot of big questions.

ArmA and by extension, ArmA 3 is a big military sandbox game. Imagine a big world where you can do almost anything military related; drive, fly, swim, sail, infantry combat and the whole nine yards. Now imagine it being 'unscripted' in the sense that ANY mission you play can be played with multiple players if there's room for them all the way up to 128 players if the server supports it.

Anything you do in the easy-to-use mission editor can be played with all of your friends, you can set your friends to be on the opposite team, you can make grand military scenarios or small team versus team based competitive scenarios.

Anything you can think of is possible. Do you want to control a squad, be part of a massive tank assault, do a night raid or spec ops raid alone, be a sniper, be a pilot. So you can stealth however much you like by crawling around or go full-on Rambo by charging the enemies.

They added the ability to change uniforms as you play, like you just exited the water in scuba gear and then you can change into an enemy uniform. You now have access to full weapon customization; sights, rails which includes lasers, tac lights and all that.

There is a single-player campaign but don't expect some Hollywood action scene. It's also based by the rules of the normal map editor which basically mean you can play it with a friend but it also means TONS of possibilities in how you play. As the mission design never limits your movement, you can sneak all the way, you can do a frontal assault, you can quietly take down enemy soldiers and steal their kit - Endless possibilities. ( HOWEVER! Don't bother with the campaigns. Honestly it's such a fluff thing about the game and leaves a bad image of the game. Find an online squad and you'll get the best game experience of your life ).

As for talking characters. There is voice over for campaign missions and such, can also be added in the editor. However the "dynamic" voice calling out enemies at which positions ( APC at 2 o'clock ) can be a bit jarring as it's playing separate sound files.

Hope that answers some questions.

Check out CHKilroy's channel for some fun / awesome videos of ArmA 2, here they made an urban hostage scenario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8BERXeBw8g ( Again, just showing online possibilities )

robin2

I though the arma 2 sp was decent-to-good (really liked Manhattan mission, even with all the day1 bugs -omg-; and the FPS-RTS parts were fun). Since I hate the cinematic bs that nowadays plagues games, I was perfectly fine without any of it.

R1CHO

It's a mix of everything.

On Arma2 campaign you start as a soldier member of a small squad, then you get to be the leader of the squad, and at the end the commander of a bigger force (worst part of the campaign imo).

The game is great in the tactical open sandbox missions.

Go from A to B and engage enemy... It's nice to just walk arround and recon the huge map looking for enemies, deciding the best route and way of attack etc.

You can play the campaign, but also the official individual missions and the community made ones, alone or coop online.

At the end of the day you won't remember Arma because the story, dialogues and characters... Not at all... But because very unique moments you will experience exploring the environment and engaging in combat.

I really hope Bohemia gives us a
Better campaign this time, because it has a lot of potencial

Sethos

Banned
I though the arma 2 sp was decent-to-good (really liked Manhattan mission, even with all the day1 bugs -omg-; and the FPS-RTS parts were fun). Since I hate the cinematic bs that nowadays plagues games, I was perfectly fine without any of it.

It was utter shit, in my opinion. They looked like poorly made custom missions and they were SOOO buggy. Me and a friend completed it after a LOT of patches but we still had major issues with triggers not working, waypoints disappearing etc. we sometimes spent hours walking around the map to find invisible triggers.

Awful, in every way.

I wish every day BIS wouldn't bother with a campaign because it has put the game in a bad light SO many time, as people tend to play that instead of the part of game that's awesome. They certainly don't help with the "janky image" the game has.

Max

I am not Max
have system specs been released? i really hope with a alpha/beta they can optimize it better than the previous game

robin2

It was utter shit, in my opinion. They looked like poorly made custom missions and they were SOOO buggy. Me and a friend completed it after a LOT of patches but we still had major issues with triggers not working, waypoints disappearing etc. we sometimes spent hours walking around the map to find invisible triggers.

Awful, in every way.

I wish every day BIS wouldn't bother with a campaign because it has put the game in a bad light SO many time, as people tend to play that instead of the part of game that's awesome. They certainly don't help with the "janky image" the game has.
I agree on the poorly made. Before the patches it was hell, I had to redo hours-long missions more than once because of bugs, and I even got stuck at some point.

Still missions like Manhattan were really refreshing; with all the openness and the multiple objectives, in an age where the first person genre was game after game, increasingly enclosing itself into the one-way corridor of staged explosions and badassery. Driving around, asking questions to the locals, arresting the guy, etc.. And I also had fun with some wider town assaults with my tanks in the successive parts of the game.

I hope the single player stays because I like it and the multiplayer is utterly too big and intense for my available time. Of course I'd like it to be done less poorly; they could focus on the single-stage scenarios, instead of a conventional campaign (which was also long, so maybe shorter stuff could be done with better quality).

We were just poking fun at the "?!" and you did ask a lot of big questions.
eh ?!, LOL
bad habit, I use it alot :D

these are great stuff.

There is a single-player campaign but don't expect some Hollywood action scene. It's also based by the rules of the normal map editor which basically mean you can play it with a friend but it also means TONS of possibilities in how you play. As the mission design never limits your movement, you can sneak all the way, you can do a frontal assault, you can quietly take down enemy soldiers and steal their kit - Endless possibilities. ( HOWEVER! Don't bother with the campaigns. Honestly it's such a fluff thing about the game and leaves a bad image of the game. Find an online squad and you'll get the best game experience of your life ).

That's even better than Hollywood.

Hope that answers some questions.
Thanks alot :)

Check out CHKilroy's channel for some fun / awesome videos of ArmA 2, here they made an urban hostage scenario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8BERXeBw8g ( Again, just showing online possibilities )
Noted.

=========================================================
It's a mix of everything.

Thanks for you too, maybe I will give ArmA II a try as well, see how things are.

Sethos

Banned
I hope the A.C.R.E team can convert their addon to the Alpha / Beta fairly quick, game is a complete different experience with it.

Top Bottom