• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development Season 4: The Bluths are making new mistakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

quoting one of the scenes that I think is least appreciated as celebration for the date finalization:

I tried to drink some of the water, and it was too hot and it tasted like soy sauce. I think the teriyaki chicken burst.

Zebra

Celebrating the release date with GIFs hot off the press!

PfBiDyI.gif

YwUzPqP.gif

ARkw631.gif

javac

I'm giggling like crazy here, I can't believe this is actually happening. This is going to be the most bitchin'ly fast bike amazing day in all of Orange County. the entire world!

cacophony

This came way faster than i thought it would

2013 is crazy.. new AD, new Justin Timberlake, new Daft Punk, the Rock is WWE champion. Its like we went back in time

lucillescreaming.gif
God dammit I want a trailer though. 5 seconds of footage, SOMETHING. It really feels so surreal. It's not gonna hit me til the opening credits play that morning. I already know the people to invite for the watch marathon. Also WOOHOO another extra episode! I wonder if/how this effects that episode title list we saw earlier?

Also, for those interested, Justin Lee aka Annyong "Hel-loh" Bluth, just did an AMA. Unfortunately, he doesn't really say much about the new season, except sidestep his inevitable return. But it's still worth a read by any AD superfan.

I was thinking about starting a RTTP thread of doing each original run AD ep one by one each each up until the release, but unless we get a release day announcement soon (assuming it's still may) the numbers wouldn't quite workout. Maybe one season per week up until the release? God I would love seeing some new people's reactions to the show on an episode by episode basis, though, live vicariously through those first brief AD virgin moments. If there was one show I could have completely erased from my memory it would be AD for this one reason alone.

Though I still am gonna try to limit myself to at least one episode of the new season per day. As awesome as HoC was, I really wanna take some time to savor this one for all it's worth, especially considering that there is a hopefully unlikely but still real possibility that this will be all we end up getting. Also, who's got ideas for the eventual OT? Has anyone claimed it yet? I've never done one before but if there was ever one I'd wanna do it would be this one. Even the OT tagline alone is gonna require weeks of brainstorming to get something truly worthy of the occasion.

This is an awesome idea! I'm down for this.

Netflix was thinking the same thing with this:

52 days left till new Arrested Development.
53 episodes in Arrested Development.

Time for a refresh, eh?

:D

Actiss

Did they ever confirm how long each episode is? I'm assuming they're half-hour episodes, and if so I'm hoping that they're a full 30 minutes rather than the traditional 22-or-so minute episodes.

Did they ever confirm how long each episode is? I'm assuming they're half-hour episodes, and if so I'm hoping that they're a full 30 minutes rather than the traditional 22-or-so minute episodes.

Considering the three or four minute ad breaks inbetween each episode for the first three seasons airing on TV, you'd have to assume all of them will be near 30 minutes for a commercial free service like Netflix.

Bigfoot

Considering the three or four minute ad breaks inbetween each episode for the first three seasons airing on TV, you'd have to assume all of them will be near 30 minutes for a commercial free service like Netflix.

The thing is, they aren't confined to a 22 minute (or whatever it was when AD was on) running time now, so I could imagine that there won't be a set length. They are probably aiming for a half-hour each, but they won't be forced to edit as much now so some episodes could be longer than others.

How was "House of Cards" in length? I never watched it, but was each episode the same length?

How was "House of Cards" in length? I never watched it, but was each episode the same length?
House of Cards ranged from 45-56 minutes. I would assume Arrested D would do something similar and they'll all be in the 22-30min range depending on what they want to include with each episode.

Mudkips

Banned
There's absolutely no reason to believe they're anything other than the standard 22.5 minutes.
Don't get your hopes up for 30 minute episodes. You'll be lucky when a few run at 24 or 25 minutes.

The season is breaking with conventions in a few ways. I don't know why they would feel the need to hang on to the 22 minute format either. Premium channel comedies certainly don't adhere to that standard.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The season is breaking with conventions in a few ways. I don't know why they would feel the need to hang on to the 22 minute format either. Premium channel comedies certainly don't adhere to that standard.

Maybe it's like the Futurama situation, where Fox still has the option of airing the episodes if they so choose. If that's the case then room would have to be left for commercials, or else things would have to be cut out.

Mudkips

Banned

And for all you know they could be 18 minute episodes.

The scripts and pacing of the first 3 seasons were built around 22.5 minute episodes. I don't see them jumping to a full 30 minutes just because they can. Why not 32? Or 40?

There is absolutely no reason to believe we'll get anything other than standard-length episodes, with wiggle room for a couple minutes extra on a few episodes that they think warrant it.

Divius

I was thinking about starting a RTTP thread of doing each original run AD ep one by one each each up until the release, but unless we get a release day announcement soon (assuming it's still may) the numbers wouldn't quite workout. Maybe one season per week up until the release? God I would love seeing some new people's reactions to the show on an episode by episode basis, though, live vicariously through those first brief AD virgin moments. If there was one show I could have completely erased from my memory it would be AD for this one reason alone.

52 days left till new Arrested Development.
53 episodes in Arrested Development.

Time for a refresh, eh?
Make it so.

It's actually happening finally. I really hope it's good. That initial run was lightning in a bottle. I hope they can recreate it.

The fact that it's only 15 episodes leads me to think they've gone for quality not quantity, which bodes well.

Bigfoot

There is absolutely no reason to believe we'll get anything other than standard-length episodes, with wiggle room for a couple minutes extra on a few episodes that they think warrant it.

I think that is what some of us were getting at anyways. Being on Netflix gives them the wiggle room to extend the episodes if they decide to do so. There is no restriction that we know of for them to cut an episode down to 22 minutes. If they have 28 minutes of good material in the end, then we may get 1 or 2 episodes of that length. I'm sure they are aiming for 22 minutes but sometimes you just more material than planned.

Certinty

Can't wait.

Recently watched 'The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret", just reminded me how awesome Cross and Arnett are!

And for all you know they could be 18 minute episodes.

The scripts and pacing of the first 3 seasons were built around 22.5 minute episodes. I don't see them jumping to a full 30 minutes just because they can. Why not 32? Or 40?

The first three seasons were also built around exploring multiple characters on every episode. This season is about focusing on one character in each episode. This is something they can do because of Netflix. I can't imagine they would do this if they thought each episode would be released once a week over 15 weeks. They are doing that because of the freedom to be able to. Let's not forget we all thought they would only produce 10 episodes for season 4. For whatever reason it was thought that was the number. Then David Cross said 13 episodes. Now it's 15. They've already decided to extend the show in one way. Why are you so sure the episodes won't run long?

A couple of extra minutes is all anyone is thinking of when it comes to these being longer. The outside chance is a full 30 minutes. But I know some Curb episodes have been 40 minutes long. The only real limit here is what the story demands. Maybe some episodes could be 18 minutes and others are 30. I see no reason why they would be so strict with run times like they were when commercials were an issue.

Mudkips

Banned
The first three seasons were also built around exploring multiple characters on every episode. This season is about focusing on one character in each episode. This is something they can do because of Netflix. I can't imagine they would do this if they thought each episode would be released once a week over 15 weeks. They are doing that because of the freedom to be able to. Let's not forget we all thought they would only produce 10 episodes for season 4. For whatever reason it was thought that was the number. Then David Cross said 13 episodes. Now it's 15. They've already decided to extend the show in one way. Why are you so sure the episodes won't run long?

A couple of extra minutes is all anyone is thinking of when it comes to these being longer. The outside chance is a full 30 minutes. But I know some Curb episodes have been 40 minutes long. The only real limit here is what the story demands. Maybe some episodes could be 18 minutes and others are 30. I see no reason why they would be so strict with run times like they were when commercials were an issue.

We have 2 posters on this very page who assumed/hoped all or nearly all episodes would be 30 minutes. There is zero reason to assume that. The only safe assumption is 22.5 minutes per episode, with a couple being a few minutes longer.

Bigfoot

We have 2 posters on this very page who assumed/hoped all or nearly all episodes would be 30 minutes. There is zero reason to assume that. The only safe assumption is 22.5 minutes per episode, with a couple being a few minutes longer.
Nothing wrong with hoping that your favorite show has 30 minute episodes. There is really no evidence I know of to suggest the show will be 22.5 minutes or 30 minutes, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Yep, we can only wait and see. We know Netflix is fine with variable length episodes. It is not safe to assume anything about them. I think we'll all be happy with whatever they go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom