• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrogant Sony would have gone for the jugular today and announced a Showcase, or dropped a SpiderMan 2 trailer

Gorgon

Are you joking? This laughable Phil Spencer thing is exactly why Sony is taking forever to show it. And why there’s no showcase or nothing.

They have zero impetus to try. To impress. Microsoft is partly to blame for being such shit competition. They can literally do nothing and casuals will keep having it break record after record to play garbage like rocket league, Fortnite, COD, fifa, madden.

There, fixed that fo ya.

I thought arrogant Sony was 2006-2009 and then 2015-now?

Nah this is arrogant Sony :messenger_grinning:

TvR1WpH.jpg

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
and Xbox just opened the door to them.

I can remember some on the other side were clinging to Forespoken is kind of ironic.
I think the difference is that even diehard playstation fans recognised how bad Forspoken was. Xbox gamers have done the same for Redfall and its a good thing.

The thing I'm noticing is the pile on for the Xbox brand as a whole. Yes they are not looking too great at the moment but I don't thinks it's as bad as some on this forum and in general are making it out to be.

i don't think it's as bad as some on this forum and in general are making it out to be.
is not just this forum, is also the entire bubble of the videogame discourse online (social media).

influencers and shills are in this mood as well.

And it IS pretty bad (PR-wise). is a fucking disaster.

Now...MS/Xbox just needs to release ONE AAA GOTY contender to dial down the negativity....that's it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I miss the days of arrogant Sony. A proactive and ruthless marketing machine.

A Sony lead by Ken Kutagari would have been goddamn savages today.

Horrible reception to Redfall? Show a quick SpiderMan 2 teaser.

"Good games won't sell our console" Says Phil, announce a PlayStation Showcase.

Strike your competition while they're down. Be ruthless.

This moment right here won them the PS4 gen before it even started. Striking their competition while they were down. Do it again. Today was a perfect opportunity.

This wasn't "arrogant" Sony. This was just intelligent Sony.

Arrogant Sony was selling a console for 600 dollars without having high quality games or consistent release schedules, thinking that people would just buy the next system because their previous two did so well. Though, given the recent moves since 2016, I would argue arrogant Sony is certainly on its way back with its hypocritical censorship, moving of HQ to California, and forcing japanese devs to find translators to discuss business (when JPN HQ PlayStation would offer translation services). Give it a few years and I am sure we will see another major fuck up by Sony.

It is always cyclical with any company. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft - doesn't matter who. They will all fuck up in spectacular ways in the future.

Playstation fans need to calm down 🤣

Xbox is having a bit of a mare at the moment but some people on this forum are enjoying it a little too much. Noticed a bunch of old troll accounts back online as well.
Report. Mods have been cleaning up a lot of trash. At least 7 troll threads I saw yesterday are completely gone today and even notable Warriors like Ass of Can Whooping got the boot.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
is not just this forum, is also the entire bubble of the videogame discourse online (social media).

influencers and shills are in this mood as well.

And it IS pretty bad (PR-wise). is a fucking disaster.

Now...MS/Xbox just needs to release ONE AAA GOTY contender to dial down the negativity....that's it.

Pretty much. All MS/Xbox has to do is announce some great looking games at their press event in June, with consistent schedules, and no bullshit promises with CGI trailers hyping things that 5-7 years out. For example in my dreams:
  • RareReplay REMIX'd - Rare Replay with every game having benefitted from Boost when able, Sea of Thieves with unique unlockables, remixed challenges (JetPAC with you getting Jiggies or some shit, I dunno. Basically NES Remix but Rare-ified), Golden Eye, and make it available on PC as well. December 2023
  • StarField - Buggy, glitchy, but deep and intricate with a focus on RPG mechanics and being a ton of fun. September 6th, 2023 (or switch with Rare Replay to ensure better QA).
  • Gears Collection (Gears 1-3 + Judgement) All "remade" using similar assets to the previous Gears 1 remake. MP similar to Halo Collection. All the bells and whistles fans want - August 2023
  • Gears 6 gameplay teaser, Summer 2024.
  • Forza 8 Gameplay, Full career mode break down, July release date, Digital Only at first. Promise of physical "complete collection" after all DLC is released at a later date.
  • Banjo and Kazooie Remake/Remaster (ala Spyro) Shadow Drop, will be part of Rare Replay Remixed as a physical release.
  • Avowed, EverWild, Hellblade 2 - gameplay trailers with tentative release dates for seasonal 2024 releases (Summer, Fall, Winter, not in that respective order).
  • Tease ES6 with a definitive announcement of where it will take place. Only CGI trailer of the entire presentation.

Every single one of these games, physical release on DISK and no downloads required. No DRM. Make promises to double down on video game preservation and to openly apologize for the mistakes taken with empty promises over the past few years.

Why would you want to draw attention away from this bad press?

This is different from the sharing situation with PS4 and X1.

If Sony could shadow-drop a AAA banger today that would be one thing, but to just announce a showcase... that doesn't do the trick.

Those personalities at Sony are long gone the Ken Kutaragi led Sony was ruthless lol but I appreciated his vision it's one of the reasons why PlayStation is so strong today

sumdumfuk

Banned
No need for that, Microsoft is destroying itself in the console space in a highly efficent way. Have some mercy people

ProtoByte

You do have to wonder what top brass at PlayStation think about the last week for Xbox.

But no. If Sony's smart, they won't take the opportunity to celebrate. They might get a chuckle out of all of this, but they should take everything, up to and including Spencer's latest interview as a model of what not to do. A cautionary display if I've ever seen one.

Spider-Man 2's proper reveal is obviously imminent, and it doesn't really matter what Xbox is or isn't doing. They've gotta bring the heat on this one.

StueyDuck

Considering they shuttered pixelopus it makes sense to use this time for bad Sony news then good news.

I think they made the right choice (not closing the studio, that sucks, but using now to tell people)

X-Wing

This moment right here won them the PS4 gen before it even started. Striking their competition while they were down. Do it again. Today was a perfect opportunity.

This is a ridiculous take. The kind of consumers that won the generation for PlayStation never saw that video. That video was only good for fanboys and console warring. Sony doesn’t need to have a showcase to “strike down” Xbox. They just need to keep pushing content to their platform.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Sony Faboys are having a really awesome week, I am worried that Zelda review scores might be low and some of you might just die from that much happiness.

skit_data

I prefer them letting their silence speak for itself. Get as far away as possible from the whole console warring business and make sure your execs don’t follow those type of people on twitter. *cough*.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Sony don't need to do anything. Xbox is on suicide watch. First the Activision deal, Redfall, then Phil basically burying Xbox himself. Sony just needs to be classy and quiet. There's nothing they can bring to the circus that is Xbox at this point. Maybe a dancing bear wearing a PS5 virtual reality headset...but I digress.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let me introduce you to Silent Sony...

The only time they speak is when they have narration by a girl that sounds like Mythra from xenoblade chronicles 2. Haha

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are you joking? This laughable Phil Spencer thing is exactly why Sony is taking forever to show it. And why there’s no showcase or nothing.

They have zero impetus to try. To impress. Microsoft is partly to blame for being such shit competition. They can literally do nothing and casuals will keep having it break record after record to play garbage like rocket league, Fortnite, COD, fifa, madden.

Maybe sonys hard-core fans should ask for more from Sony?

Shit, double post sorry

Last edited:

Nocturno999

Instead humble Sony is now selling you $70 dollars overhyped games and a $550 VR headset with no games/backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, you’ve got it backwards.

Arrogant Sony fucks up a good thing, and gives an opening to their competition. Arrogant Sony is what led to a $600 PS3 that got its ass kicked by Xbox 360, and took years to recover from.

Arrogant Sony is the reason Phil Spencer should never give up on Xbox, because history has shown that all it takes is one mistake, to gain ground against your competitors.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just to give that video context. That was 10 years ago
I know they say as you get older time seems shorter but surely even younger folks must feel this doesn't seem that long ago 😔

Drizzlehell

Banned
Imagine rooting so hard for a piece of plastic peddled by a soulless corporation that doesn't give a single solitary fuck about you. You goddamned fools, get a life already.

Ummm…It takes a lot more time to put this kind of thing together. Nothing is done or planned as a “gotcha” reaction to kick someone else when they had a bad moment. It’s not how multinational corporations with thousands of employees operate.

But definitely enjoyed reading your fantasy about it!

GustavoLT

if Spider2 is going to hit 2023 it´s better to show something as soon as possible... GTAVI trailer is about to been released!!!

FunkMiller

OP, it’s weird you used 2014 Sony as an example of arrogant Sony.

It was the complete opposite. Sony then was absolutely in the zone when it came to being pro-gamer, and humble about it - about as much as a massive conglomerate can be.

The PS3 taught them many lessons, and every decision made that made them look so good against Xbox’s terrible decisions helped make PS4 the winner of last gen.

Arrogant Sony is back in force these days, though.

splattered

Naw they are very much arrogant Sony right now, they just still know they can't look too aggressive/dominant to the regulators right now because all that crap isn't over yet. Once ABK sorts itself in whatever way that's going to be i have a feeling we will see BOTH Sony and MS get much more aggressive.

Top Bottom