• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 3 |OT| Welcome to the New Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

I love how Laurel is completely fed up with Oliver's shit. My girl is done. Everything that comes out of his mouth got her like
comeon.png

Roy and Thea still winning the award for best improved characters. These are the kinds of interactions and character moments both have sorely need.

Atom just being bootleg Iron Man is lame.

Hey. Dig actually got a suit kind of.

I love how Laurel is completely fed up with Oliver's shit. My girl is done. Everything that comes out of his mouth got her like
comeon.png

Roy and Thea still winning the award for best improved characters. These are the kinds of interactions and character moments both have sorely need.

Atom just being bootleg Iron Man is lame.

Hey. Dig actually got a suit kind of.

Yet Roy still gets bodied constantly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So many fucking stupid choices in this episode.... It's like everyone just wants to ger killed off. Urgh...

Edit:
And the flashbacks this season have been so boring... Just stop.

"Merlyn would never just serve her up"

He admits that the video was just a bluff, which means Oliver could've just handed Malcolm over in the first place thus removing the need for 95% of this season's plot.

ALL OF THESE CHARACTERS ARE MORONS!

Wiktor

I honestly believe they went and got rid of the Lazarus Pit and instead we get Ras jumping into new bodies via some ritual and now he wants Ollie's body.

They clearly show Lazarus Pit's healing powers demonstration in promo though, altough this doesn't necessary mean the body jumping is out of the question.

That said, in Batman comics the Ra's successor gig came with a great bonus in terms of Talia. I wonder if this Ra's will want to sweeten the deal this way too ;)
If so Viva Bianca please.

He admits that the video was just a bluff, which means Oliver could've just handed Malcolm over in the first place thus removing the need for 95% of this season's plot.

The video was intended for Oliver to fight Ra's and remove Merlyn's blood bounty. It was a bluff for Oliver, but Ra's would still have attacked Thea and tried to kill her if he found out the truth. That was kinda the whole point. Oliver was protecting Thea, not Malcolm.

Unless I'm missing something.

The video was intended for Oliver to fight Ra's and remove Merlyn's blood bounty. It was a bluff for Oliver, but Ra's would still have attacked Thea and tried to kill her if he found out the truth. That was kinda the whole point. Oliver was protecting Thea, not Malcolm.

Unless I'm missing something.

Ra's attacked Thea because he couldn't get to Malcolm. In this episode Oliver stated that Malcolm would've never leaked the video of Thea killing Sarah if he was caught, which means Oliver could've just handed him over as soon as he knew.

Oliver is a total idiot with no foresight but yet HE has been selected to be the next head of the league?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit, aside from the Ray stuff. But even that didn't really bring it down, they're obviously going somewhere with Atom. Anyone think they might have introduced him way too early in the season? I feel like you could have done all his characterization over the course of 4 or so episodes and it wouldn't have made it feel like his plotline was dragging.

I hope Oliver accepts the offer, and then tries to use the League to save Starling. Sorta like an Angel season 5 type of thing.

Obviously Oliver would get further training, it's like like Ra's would pack up and leave the second Oliver agrees, there would likely be years of training involved.

It really is too bad they couldn't get Ted Kord, especially with the references they had of his company in the first two seasons if felt kind of built up.

Ra's attacked Thea because he couldn't get to Malcolm. In this episode Oliver stated that Malcolm would've never leaked the video of Thea killing Sarah if he was caught, which means Oliver could've just handed him over as soon as he knew.

Oliver is a total idiot with no foresight but yet HE has been selected to be the next head of the league?
But Ra's didn't know Thea had killed Sara.

Plus Ollie going to fight Ra's was him calling Merlyn's bluff. It worked in Malcolm's favor until Oliver did the whole not-being-dead thing and went back to Starling. Then Oliver figured Malcolm wouldn't give up Thea.

But Ra's didn't know Thea had killed Sara.

Huh? I know.

But he did know that she was Malcolm's daughter which is why he sent the league after her.

Plus Ollie going to fight Ra's was him calling Merlyn's bluff. It worked in Malcolm's favor until Oliver did the whole not-being-dead thing and went back to Starling. Then Oliver figured Malcolm wouldn't give up Thea.
Going along with someone's plan isn't calling their bluff.

Klyka

Banned
They clearly show Lazarus Pit's healing powers demonstration in promo though, altough this doesn't necessary mean the body jumping is out of the question.

That said, in Batman comics the Ra's successor gig came with a great bonus in terms of Talia. I wonder if this Ra's will want to sweeten the deal this way too ;)
If so Viva Bianca please.

I did not see the promo! ok my theory is now baseless :D

Skux

I really liked that episode. The fighting scenes, especially Nyssa vs Ollie next to the helicopter, were quite nice too.

Even though I know a bit of the Batman mythos I didn't see that ending coming.

I think Atom is going to mark a change the tone for this show, as well as the
likely Lazarus pit reveal
in the upcoming episodes. I mean seeing a dude in a powered suit flying around, and then having him do Flash crossovers, how can the show not get hyped about that.

So i guess the "no kill" rule is over right? Olliver killed several LoA members in this episode.

It never was as strict as Batman's "no kill" rule. Oliver wouldn't think twice about killing someone threatening his or his friends' life.

Did ra's say he was around in 1854 or did I hear his story wrong?

Yup, it's the second time he has referenced his age (first mentioned in the duel with Oliver, how the last person he killed was 60 years ago).

Caramello

Oliver didn't know what Merlyn would do earlier in the season. He now knows it was a bluff.

Skux

Yeah this is getting way to convoluted. These characters have been through so many lies and secrets and flip flops all in this tiny Queen/Al Ghul/Lance family that whatever a character decides doesn't make sense because of their past actions.

I hope they ditch Merlyn and all the League stuff and start with a clean(er) slate and fresh characters for season 4.

Wiktor

I hope they ditch Merlyn and all the League stuff and start with a clean(er) slate and fresh characters for season 4.

God now. Off Merlyn, but leave the league. It's awesome. Especially if they would allow the show to run wild with it.

Oliver and League vs Outsiders in S4 please

Bluth54

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Merlyn if that meant Barrowman would go back and do a full season of Doctor Who with Capaldi's Doctor.

But yeah I wasn't very impressed with this episode, seems like so many stupid decisions and stupid things happening. I had high hopes for the League of Shadows but they've been pretty disappointing this year.

I really feel like the root of the problem this season is facing is the presence of Malcolm in almost all aspects of the story. This constant back and forth of "should we trust Malcolm?!?!" is so lame. He's done nothing to deserve any sort of trust and he's the reason why most of this garbage is happening. (And all because he killed the wrong guy to avenge his wife, because he's reckless and dumb.)

The more I think about it the more it upsets me. He's got to go. His character is dragging the show down. (And even though I like Barrowman, I don't think he's right for the part. He isn't menacing at all as Malcolm.)

Bluth54

I really feel like the root of the problem this season is facing is the presence of Malcolm in almost all aspects of the story. This constant back and forth of "should we trust Malcolm?!?!" is so lame. He's done nothing to deserve any sort of trust and he's the reason why most of this garbage is happening. (And all because he killed the wrong guy to avenge his wife, because he's reckless and dumb.)

The more I think about it the more it upsets me. He's got to go. His character is dragging the show down.

He was barely even in the first half of the season though. I was kinda wondering why they even made him a regular if it was in the show so rarely, though he's been in every episode lately.

Also: Malcolm still clearly cares for himself more than his daughter's life (or even the city). Because otherwise he'd have handed himself over long ago in order to protect her.

What I'm getting at is that he will always be a completely self-centered dick that will always try to save his own skin first, and everyone else dead last. I want no redemption for him.

Thea was right to offer him up.

P.S. It was so gratifying to see him beg for his life.

He was barely even in the first half of the season though. I was kinda wondering why they even made him a regular if it was in the show so rarely, though he's been in every episode lately.
He's not the only problem, but he's the biggest. The whole getting Thea to kill Sara situation is ridiculous. His entire relationship with Thea makes no sense. He wants to "protect her" but always acts against her best interests. And now everyone is involved in this debate over his usefulness, but what if anything has he actually done right? (His league training hasn't helped him much despite how much it's touted.) I can't think of one single plan he's devised that has worked as intended, and don't forget he killed hundreds of people (including his son) over a misunderstanding.

He's actually quite a gigantic flop.

Patryn

Even after sleeping on it, I still think that was my least favorite episode of the show ever.

Seriously, beyond Laurel and maybe Roy, I felt like everyone else was acting like an idiot because of the writer's whims and needs to force the story along an unnatural path.

For most of the episode Thea was decent, until she suddenly decided to randomly confess to Nyssa.

The whole thing felt like they knew where they wanted to end the episode (Ra's asking Oliver to be his heir) and then wrote backwards from that, as opposed to seeing where they started and moving forward from that.

At least Oliver admitted that he was being all irrational, but I seriously wanted to smack him on the back of the head for most of the episode. And then he goes back to just killing people, and there's no acknowledgement of that?

Seriously, what's up with that?

At least I can kind of understand Diggle standing by his friend, but I don't understand why Felicity was putting up with Oliver's shit and terrible ideas.

Here's hoping they figure some way of pulling out of this current tailspin they're in. This season's over-arcing storyline feels like they knew individual character and moments they wanted, but with no clear idea of how to string things along. Unfortunately, they're doing a terrible job connecting the dots.

Penguin

I thought Thea confessed because the guilt was going consume her, it was part of Roy taking her to see the survivors of his murder.

At least, he could atone in some fashion.

and I feel like Oliver was throwing like tranq darts and not like death spears at the League

Patryn

I thought Thea confessed because the guilt was going consume her, it was part of Roy taking her to see the survivors of his murder.

and I feel like Oliver was throwing like tranq darts and not like death spears at the League

Two words:

Flaming. Arrow.

tim1138

So after last night's episode I feel like this adaptation from Batman is bound to happen:

Flashback scene to a bloody Oliver sitting in a chair.

How father?
How do I do it?
What do I use... to make them afraid?
If I ring this bell, "Diggle" will come.
He can stop the bleeding in time
Another of your gifts to me father.
I have wealth. The family property nests above a huge basement that will be a perfect headquarters...
... even a bodyguard with training in combat medicine...
... yes father, I have everything but patience.
I'd rather die... than wait... another hour.
I have waited... five years...
Without warning, it comes...
...crashing through the window of your study ...and mine...
I have seen it before... somewhere...
it frightened me... as a boy...
...frightened me...
...yes, father.
I shall become an arrow

Wiktor

He put like 20 cm of a dart straight into dude's neck. Tranq dart my ass :D

Joni

I wonder if we will get Batman versus Iron Man on this show? You know, under their fake names Oliver Queen and Ray Palmer.

Also, good episode with a logical twist. Neither Nyssa or Malcom have shown the survival instinct Oliver has. Malcom begged for his life, Nyssa is consumed by guilt. Oliver gets thrown of a mountain and comes back for a guy he hates. I hope he takes the position

Wiktor

I wonder if we will get Batman versus Iron Man on this show? You know, under their fake names Oliver Queen and Ray Palmer.

Also, good episode with a logical twist. Neither Nyssa or Malcom have shown the survival instinct Oliver has. Malcom begged for his life, Nyssa is consumed by guilt. Oliver gets thrown of a mountain and comes back for a guy he hates. I hope he takes the position
I must say, it was glorious how pathetic Merlyn was when captured. Begging shamelessly for his life. I'm glad the writers resisted the urge of making any redemption for Malcolm this season.

So after last night's episode I feel like this adaptation from Batman is bound to happen:

Flashback scene to a bloody Oliver sitting in a chair.

How father?
How do I do it?
What do I use... to make them afraid?
If I ring this bell, "Diggle" will come.
He can stop the bleeding in time
Another of your gifts to me father.
I have wealth. The family property nests above a huge basement that will be a perfect headquarters...
... even a bodyguard with training in combat medicine...
... yes father, I have everything but patience.
I'd rather die... than wait... another hour.
I have waited... eighteen years...
Without warning, it comes...
...crashing through the window of your study ...and mine...
I have seen it before... somewhere...
it frightened me... as a boy...
...frightened me...
...yes, father.
I shall become an arrow

Amazing.

foxtrot3d

Banned
My issue here is that, and again this is my issue and I don't know if others share it, but...with Batman, Ra's always referred to him as "Detective." Like respect for him. Bats bested Ra's in combat, foiled his plans, and was the love of his daughter. There was a certain air of respect and they matched each other.

In this tale, Ra's smack talks Ollie like he's the kid no one wants for dodgeball, kills him, and then goes "Welp you survived and you're a good fighter. Wanna lead the League of Assassins?" It just feels so...I dunno. Unearned? It's not that he isn't Batman and they're just ripping the storyline, it's that it doesn't feel like, based on the story at this point, that Ollie has reached that level of respect and rivalry with Ra's. That's been my issue with this storyline from the beginning is that I don't feel like Oliver has done anything to reach that level yet. Maybe he has and I'm undermining it, but I just don't feel like he's reached that point. Now, had this particular storyline been saved for a much later season, then I'd probably feel that way. As of now, though, I don't. I just can't feel like this has been earned.

Regardless, I'm eager to see how this pans out.

You heard right.

More than okay with this.

Slade will be the one murdering Roy, yes?

Hey now Batman The Brave and The Bold was a fucking radical show.

I agree with most of what you said but I don't think Ra's wants Ollie to take over simply because he survived, it's because he has shown an unyielding desire for justice even in the face of impossible odds. Ra's knows that Oliver did not kill Sara, and he probably suspects that Merlyn isn't being entirely truthful either. But, the fact that Oliver is willing to risk his life to save a man who is by all accounts a monster, despite the fact that the last time he went up against Ra's he basically died, shows his commitment towards justice.

Has Oliver ascended to Batman levels yet? No, for fuck's sake he still goes "in English, please" to Felicity anytime she describes something even remotely scientific, but we aint getting the Batman TV series so I'll take this and be happy.

I love that everyone here is dropping truth bombs all up in this bitch.

- Laurel is the queen now. Suck that ether, Ollie.

- Thea is rightfully pissed.

- Roy has hidden depths.

- Diggle is as stupidly suicidal as Oliver. All this shit cause of Oliver's bruised ego. Crazy motherfucker.

- Ray and Felicity finally got it on. Woo. Much prefer this pairing.

- Nyssa and Ra's' domestic disputes were accidentally hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom