• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 3 |OT| Welcome to the New Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Diggle's ultimate fate is to join Argus and be the Rick Flagg of the Arrowverse's Suicide Squad. He's there to keep them alive and give them an actual chance to earn redemption, whereas Waller views them all as disposable people. He doesn't get much use on Team Arrow now that Ollie has two costumed partners. On the Suicide Squad, he could do some good.

foxtrot3d

Banned
If you were authority to make drastic changes to the show, including killing off cast members, how would you do it?

First, I'd kill off Malcolm. He's done. His story has been told, he's lasted long enough, time to say goodbye. I'd bring Tommy back from the grave to replace him. Like I previously posted, I'd like Tommy to be the one to kill Malcolm. One of the first interactions I'd write between him and Ollie is Tommy informer Oliver that the old Tommy died a long time ago, just like the old Ollie, and insisting Oliver call him Merlyn - just like in the comics, and to differentiate from his father, who most people simply refer to by firstname. It'd also be cool if Tommy made a point of calling Oliver the Green Arrow.

I'd probably next kill off Diggle. It'd be tough, I wouldn't like it, but it's necessary Oliver is pushed into evolving. After Diggle's death, Oliver grows a depression beard that eventually becomes his Green Arrow beard, i.e. awesome. Oliver stops letting his ego dictate his actions, grows up and stops taking himself so seriously, perhaps picking up a sense of humour along the way.

Thea learns that the life of a vigilante isn't it for her, she wanted to learn how to defend herself and not get hurt, but she doesn't want to hurt others, so instead she decides to go college and eventually retakes Queen Consolidated to protect the family legacy and honour Moira. Of course, this would require Willa Holland to become a recurring guest character.

Roy stays with Oliver of course. They become a stronger duo than ever.

Laurel disappears for a while. She eventually returns and comes into her own as Black Canary. She and Oliver get together, thus effectively ending this pairing drama bullshit and the two fight crime together on occasion whilst she does her thing as a lawyer. It would perhaps be cool if Constantine Drakon killed Lance and she goes chasing after him for a while, thus taking her out of the show for a bit.

Felicity can stay part of the crew and do her usual thing.

He's going to pick up a sense of humor after his best friend dies? Nah, man. Nah. Their is nothing wrong with the current cast just their attitudes, the only person who needs to die is Merlyn. He's serves no purpose, is too OP, and knows too much. He should never have even been brought "back to life" his character has accomplished nothing, they could have easily reintroduced the League without him.

Game4life

Banned
Best ending would be if Ra's Al Ghul does a favor and kills every one in the show and saves humanity from teen angst and stupidity.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
If you were authority to make drastic changes to the show, including killing off cast members, how would you do it?

First, I'd kill off Malcolm. He's done. His story has been told, he's lasted long enough, time to say goodbye. I'd bring Tommy back from the grave to replace him. Like I previously posted, I'd like Tommy to be the one to kill Malcolm. One of the first interactions I'd write between him and Ollie is Tommy informer Oliver that the old Tommy died a long time ago, just like the old Ollie, and insisting Oliver call him Merlyn - just like in the comics, and to differentiate from his father, who most people simply refer to by firstname. It'd also be cool if Tommy made a point of calling Oliver the Green Arrow.

I'd probably next kill off Diggle. It'd be tough, I wouldn't like it, but it's necessary Oliver is pushed into evolving. After Diggle's death, Oliver grows a depression beard that eventually becomes his Green Arrow beard, i.e. awesome. Oliver stops letting his ego dictate his actions, grows up and stops taking himself so seriously, perhaps picking up a sense of humour along the way.

Thea learns that the life of a vigilante isn't it for her, she wanted to learn how to defend herself and not get hurt, but she doesn't want to hurt others, so instead she decides to go college and eventually retakes Queen Consolidated to protect the family legacy and honour Moira. Of course, this would require Willa Holland to become a recurring guest character.

Roy stays with Oliver of course. They become a stronger duo than ever.

Laurel disappears for a while. She eventually returns and comes into her own as Black Canary. She and Oliver get together, thus effectively ending this pairing drama bullshit and the two fight crime together on occasion whilst she does her thing as a lawyer. It would perhaps be cool if Constantine Drakon killed Lance and she goes chasing after him for a while, thus taking her out of the show for a bit.

Felicity can stay part of the crew and do her usual thing.

I'd kill off everyone but Diggle and Ollie, maybe keep Laurel around but not too frequently.

Honestly, Ollie accepting the league offer (at least temporarily) would be the best thing ever for the show and the exact change it needs (but we all know he's not going to)--change of status, new setting, potentially new characters, new intrigue, etc... Ollie needs to just get away from the goddam arrow-cave for a season or two.

Blader

It's kind of amazing some of you guys got through the first season at all, much less up to the third. Thea, Roy, and Laurel are the best they've ever been this year -- they're far more measured characters than they were at the outset, they've grown a lot, and are actually useful to the plot now instead of being completely tangential whiners.

Frog-fu

Banned
He's going to pick up a sense of humor after his best friend dies? Nah, man. Nah. Their is nothing wrong with the current cast just their attitudes, the only person who needs to die is Merlyn. He's serves no purpose, is too OP, and knows too much. He should never have even been brought "back to life" his character has accomplished nothing, they could have easily reintroduced the League without him.

I image it'd be a gradual process, not "Ha, my best friend just died! Isn't that a hoot?" It'd be an event that would allow Oliver to grow up and try to look at the good things in his life, which is what had Diggle always wanted for him.

And let's be honest, presently Oliver Queen doesn't really exist, and neither does Green Arrow. There is only The Arrow, The Vigilante, The Hood - unless you accept that this Arrow is the Green Arrow of this universe as he was intended to be, which, fair enough, makes up for that part of the equation, however, Oliver Queen at present is simply The Arrow pretending he's not The Arrow and Oliver Queen instead.

Every death of someone close to Oliver thus far has affected the way he conducts himself as a crimefighter. If Diggle were to die, then I think it'd only be appropriate that it would effect not Green Arrow, but Oliver Queen, whom Diggle knew better than anyone.

We've seen in the flashbacks that Oliver used to have a sense of humour. It'd be nice if that part of him was resurrected.

I'd kill off everyone but Diggle and Ollie, maybe keep Laurel around but not too frequently.

Honestly, Ollie accepting the league offer (at least temporarily) would be the best thing ever for the show and the exact change it needs (but we all know he's not going to)--change of status, new setting, potentially new characters, new intrigue, etc... Ollie needs to just get away from the goddam arrow-cave for a season or two.

Roy and Laurel are pretty much teflon for at least two seasons each. Maybe they'll replace Roy with Mia Dearden, but I don't think they'll go for that.

Of course Thea could die, thus leaving Oliver on his own, Connor notwithstanding, but I don't think it's necessary for her to die.

Felicity isn't going anywhere for a long time. She is the darling of the show, it simply isn't happening.

It's kind of amazing some of you guys got through the first season at all, much less up to the third. Thea, Roy, and Laurel are the best they've ever been this year -- they're far more measured characters than they were at the outset, they've grown a lot, and are actually useful to the plot now instead of being completely tangential whiners.

Thea, Roy and Laurel weren't as front and centre in the first two seasons, which can be a bit of an issue when people want to see Green Arrow do his thing and not give his ever-growing number of companions a play by play as they second guess his every decision or make decisions via a committee.

The cast/show could certainly use a trimming or restructuring.

We also haven't had the Slade head turn GIF posted in awhile but apparently this might be the successor...

ghl45.gif

The cast/show could certainly use a trimming or restructuring.

We also haven't had the Slade head turn GIF posted in awhile but apparently this might be the successor...

ghl45.gif

I love that gif. Seal looks so majestic with that camera zoom. It's like the kiss from a Rose chorus just instantly plays

infi

While I agree they are better than ever, those three were more side characters and were easy enough to ignore when they were bad in previous seasons. This season for me Ollie is the worst character and as he's the main character and the main focus it's a lot harder to ignore him being shit than it was the other three characters. It doesn't help this season that there hasn't been a good villain as well.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I think that S3 will end with Ollie taking Ra's up on his offer and then possibly a time skip. Ra's can offer Diggle's life as trade / measure of good will; and Ollie (of course) doesn't tell anyone that he is accepting the offer until the end of the season.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I'm a lot more forgiving of the first half of season 1 (AoS, Arrow) than I do for shows that seemingly tank after a brilliant S2.

the lack of a solid villain, ho-hum flashbacks and bizarre character motivations have really sucked a lot of the fun out of Arrow :/

I'd have Ollie accept Ra's offer, only to ultimately betray Ra's and kill him.

Nyssa goes crazy and has the League descend on Starling City. She's hellbent on killing everyone Ollie knows and loves.

Laurel is killed by the League's ace assassin, who reveals herself to be newly resurrected, and brainwashed Sarah.

Sarah and the League kill Thea. Malcolm dies fighting by her side.

Since they understand Ollie loves the city almost as much as his friends and family, Nyssa and Sarah unleash hell on Starling.

The climatic battle sees Roy lose his arm. Ollie and Lt. Chest Hair are able to turn Sarah against Nyssa. Sarah kills Nyssa, ending the climatic battle against the League.

Ray Palmer gives Roy a fancy mechanical arm.

Somewhere in a random cave in the asshole of the desert Ra's rises from the Lazarus Pit and is greeted by his long estranged daughter, Talia.

Frog-fu

Banned

Nyssa goes crazy and has the League descend on Starling City. She's hellbent on killing everyone Ollie knows and loves.

Laurel is killed by the League's ace assassin, who reveals herself to be newly resurrected, and brainwashed Sarah.

Since they understand Ollie loves the city almost as much as his friends and family, Nyssa and Sarah unleash hell on Starling.

The climatic battle sees Roy lose his arm. Ollie and Lt. Chest Hair are able to turn Sarah against Nyssa. Sarah kills Nyssa, ending the climatic battle against the League.

Somewhere in a random cave in the asshole of the desert Ra's rises from the Lazarus Pit and is greeted by his long estranged daughter, Talia.

Yes to all of this.

You're hired!

Pachimari

I would kick Diggle out of Arrow team and be responsible for the Suicide Squad or Argus.

I would throw these out:

- Malcolm
His story has been told.

- Slade
Never to be seen again. His a joke now.

- Laurel
Have come to dislike her, also as the Black Canary.

- Roy
His face makes me want to punch something. I never liked him as Arsenal, and I think it's much cooler when Arrow goes out alone.

I would keep Oliver (I don't like him much either), Felicity, Diggle, Detective Lance, Ra's Al Ghul, Nyssa, Thea and Ray as the Atom. Introduce some new characters for Season 4 and make an end to those flashbacks.

nawwafh

YES to all of this..
U.. good sir should be hired as a writer..

strafer

Are you David S Goyer?

So who's the villain they go to after Ra's?

I'm not really familiar with DC's "mid tier" villains, I keep thinking of Vandal Savage but he's a Justice League level threat and kinda similar to Ra's.

Arrow is so fuking shit these days. It's surprising how and why there has been a sudden drop in quality after the amazing season 2.

They also need to stop ripping off Batman and everythng Nolan has done, it's become beyond cringeworthy now. At least Flash is his own person and is its own show ... The Arrow is shamelessly ripping off every single Batman story.

There is no alternate universe/alternate earth/elseworld where Ra's Al Ghul will want Green fukkin Arrow as his replacement.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Arrow is so fuking shit these days. It's surprising how and why there has been a sudden drop in quality after the amazing season 2.

They also need to stop ripping off Batman and everythng Nolan has done, it's become beyond cringeworthy now. At least Flash is his own person and is its own show ... The Arrow is shamelessly ripping off every single Batman story.

There is no alternate universe/alternate earth/elseworld where Ra's Al Ghul will want Green fukkin Arrow as his replacement.

Ra's turning to Queen to become his replacement is fucked up and weird, because in no sense has Ollie shown that he is anywhere near Ra's' line of thinking, and it's cheap from the writers to take Batman storylines and just replacing the name Batman with Arrow and Bruce Wayne with Oliver Queen.

That said; in this universe Ra's would turn to Arrow as his succesor, because in this universe there is no Batman and Arrow has always been Diet-Batman; rich kid out to stop crime with a shitload of gadgets at his disposal. He even has a young abrasive sidekick to boot. I just don't see why now. At the end of season 1 it would've made more sense, because Ollie was shooting and killing like he was already part of the league.

infi

Ra's turning to Queen to become his replacement is fucked up and weird, because in no sense has Ollie shown that he is anywhere near Ra's' line of thinking, and it's cheap from the writers to take Batman storylines and just replacing the name Batman with Arrow and Bruce Wayne with Oliver Queen.

I don't read the comics so I don't care about them copying the Batman story but I can't see why Ra's would want Ollie to be his replacement. Ollie hasn't shown he has the intelligence, martial skill or the sense of justice that Ra's has.

Sandfox

So who's the villain they go to after Ra's?

I'm not really familiar with DC's "mid tier" villains, I keep thinking of Vandal Savage but he's a Justice League level threat and kinda similar to Ra's.

They should adapt Knightfall next and introduce Bane or something.

Sounds good except Thea´s death.

I don't read the comics so I don't care about them copying the Batman story but I can't see why Ra's would want Ollie to be his replacement. Ollie hasn't shown he has the intelligence, martial skill or the sense of justice that Ra's has.

yep. first time he saw oliver he was surprised and unimpressed.

the second time he saw him he stabbed him in the chest in a completely one-sided duel

now he thinks he's worthy of taking his place after the last two encounters? lol makes no sense.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
yep. first time he saw oliver he was surprised and unimpressed.

the second time he saw him he stabbed him in the chest in a completely one-sided duel

now he thinks he's worthy of taking his place after the last two encounters? lol makes no sense.

At this moment, Slade would've been a far better suited successor to Ra's Al Ghul.

Wiktor

Ra's turning to Queen to become his replacement is fucked up and weird, because in no sense has Ollie shown that he is anywhere near Ra's' line of thinking, .

He isn't? Ra's is all about killing people for greater good. That's how Oliver was in S1. The only difference between them is the scale at which both men operate. Oliver had stint with heroism in S2, but in S3 he already was willing to kill Ra's and he also leave a trail of cold bodies when entering Nanda Parbat. On top of that he's shown willingless to sacrifice himself for good cause and is one of the best fighter Ra's has faced in long long time. Plus it's not like Ra's lives in cave without any contact with outside world. He knows a lot of what Arrow has acomplished in Starling.

How exactly isn't he good replacement? He's pretty much perfect.

Joni

I also hope he considers training Oliver. Or did I miss the part where he said he was leaving immediately if Oliver accepted.

He isn't? Ra's is all about killing people for greater good. That's how Oliver was in S1. The only difference between them is the scale at which both men operate. Oliver had stint with heroism in S2, but in S3 he already was willing to kill Ra's and he also leave a trail of cold bodies when entering Nanda Parbat. On top of that he's shown willingless to sacrifice himself for good cause and is one of the best fighter Ra's has faced in long long time. Plus it's not like Ra's lives in cave without any contact with outside world. He knows a lot of what Arrow has acomplished in Starling.

He ended up aligning himself with Malcolm Merlyn despite the fact that the man was responsible for the death of hundreds of Starling City residents. That tells me that his sense of justice is secondary to other interests (such as his immediate friends and family).

He'll sacrifice himself but he doesn't seem all that willing to put other people's lives on the line.

Just look at how he interacts with Team Arrow in stressful situations: He becomes argumentative and combative when they don't do things exactly as he wants them to be done. He's essentially still solo'ing everything despite being surrounded by people. A leader he is not.

infi

The attack on Ra's and Nanda Parbat showed Ollie was willing to kill but he was doing that because of his ego not the greater good, plus it was an idiotic plan that should count against him taking over the league.

Ollie will sacrifice the greater good to help his friends and family as shown by him protecting Merlyn because he was worried about Thea. Ra's cares about the greater good above all, he'd kill Nyssa in a second if he thought it was for the greater good, Ollie has shown he would never do that.

Ollies martial ability is barely above a 40 odd year old Merlyn so I highly doubt Ra's is unaware of any fighters that match him, given the league must have people all over the world. He said Ollie was one of the best fighters he's had to face in a while but how often has he been challenged?

The last time Ollie ran a large organisation was when he was CEO of Queen consolidated and he couldn't even keep control of that and he struggles as the leader of team arrow yet he's expected to lead an ancient international group of assassins.

I also hope he considers training Oliver. Or did I miss the part where he said he was leaving immediately if Oliver accepted.

Great, all he needs is to train Oliver to put the greater good above his friends and innocents, be a much better fighter, be a lot smarter, to not be ruled by his emotions and be a better leader.

Wiktor

He ended up aligning himself with Malcolm Merlyn despite the fact that the man was responsible for the death of hundreds of Starling City residents. That tells me that his sense of justice is secondary to other interests (such as his immediate friends and family).

He'll sacrifice himself but he doesn't seem all that willing to put other people's lives on the line.

Just look at how he interacts with Team Arrow in stressful situations: He becomes argumentative and combative when they don't do things exactly as he wants them to be done. He's essentially still solo'ing everything despite being surrounded by people. A leader he is not.

Merlyn isn't a danger to other people right now though and working with him shows willingness to do anything to achieve a goal. Plus Oliver wouldn't sacrifice a lot of people just to save the closest ones to himself. Maseo is like that and Oliver was shocked when he actually gave China White the real virus, which means he himself likely wouldn't.

Now, there are obviously differences between the two men, but it's easy to see how Ra's might look at Oliver and see a kindred spirit or surogate son. He likely was exactly like him when he was young.

I just wish it was possible to go a page of this thread without people acting as if Laurel is literally Hitler

Thea might be on adolf's level. Gotta think about that

Laurel's improved dramatically though, the fuckery with her father and dead sister was lame but now that's behind her I really like her scenes

Wiktor

Thea might be on adolf's level. Gotta think about that

Laurel's improved dramatically though, the fuckery with her father and dead sister was lame but now that's behind her I really like her scenes

You are crazy How exactly is Thea any worse than Laurel? Through this season she's been consistently better character than Laurel.

Merlyn isn't a danger to other people right now though and working with him shows willingness to do anything to achieve a goal. Plus Oliver wouldn't sacrifice a lot of people just to save the closest ones to himself. Maseo is like that and Oliver was shocked when he actually gave China White the real virus, which means he himself likely wouldn't.

Now, there are obviously differences between the two men, but it's easy to see how Ra's might look at Oliver and see a kindred spirit or surogate son. He likely was exactly like him when he was young.

He was willing to risk Starling City residents being murdered because Malcolm framed Thea. So yes, I'd wager he would be willing to sacrifice a lot of innocent people.

infi

He was willing to risk Starling City residents being murdered because Malcolm framed Thea. So yes, I'd wager he would be willing to sacrifice a lot of innocent people.

Plus he's killed and tortured people for Waller all because she threatened Maseo's family, so he's not so righteous when the lives of people he knows are in danger.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Yeah...I'm gonna say no to like all of that.

Flash is superior to this show in every way, but I still watch with an addiction damn near heroin like.

Felicity is smoking. Thea is a queen and Laurel is terrible.

Katheryn Winnick is still champ imo.

Parshias7

I don't understand why people are so fixated on having Roy lose an arm. Did we all forget that the comic storyline where that happened was really, really shitty?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't understand why people are so fixated on having Roy lose an arm. Did we all forget that the comic storyline where that happened was really, really shitty?

They're probably remembering Young Justice instead.

Blader

this is like people complaining about the ending of TDKR. "But Blake isn't ready to become Batman yet!"

It's not an immediate job offer; he doesn't have to start tomorrow. Oliver can be trained to become a better fighter, he can be trained to operate in the League's ways. And it's not like he hasn't had Ra's sense of justice before.

As long as we're talking about shamelessly ripping off Nolan's Batman, the "Training is nothing, the will is everything" line seems especially apt here. Ra's is looking for someone with Oliver's tenacity and demeanor in a successor. The fight skills can come later; those can always be taught.

JustinBB7

This actually sounds pretty cool to me!

Repeatedly, when watching, my wife and I marvel that those three are more interesting characters, better written, and better acted.

And yet the show has become terrible. Supporting actor performances and storylines are not going to save the trainwreck of the A-plot line this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom