• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

arstechnica says "Mole: 80GB PS3 dead, 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3 incoming"

Rolf NB

Defuser said:
Why another sku....is the 40gb HDD getting more expensive to manufacture?
Sony is phasing out Sixaxis controllers, and introducing Dual Shock 3 as the standard controller, with some time of overlap where both are on the market. PS3s are getting one new feature they didn't have before. At the same time, on a different front, the reverse happens (or arguably already has happened): BC with PS2 games is being removed.

Consider the alternatives. Sony might just change production over to the new configuration and put the machines into the same boxes with no way for retail or customers to tell what has changed. Look at the threads where prospective XBox 360 buyers try to find out which SKUs in which lot numbers from which factories they have to buy at each stores to get their desired revision of the machine, with the DVD drive they want and the fans they want and the chip revision they want. People are going to stores and ask to have boxes opened so they can look at the fine-print on the machine.

Sony is simply using hard-drive capacity as the one trivial differentiator from which all other information can be deduced with minimal research. This is good for consumers. If anything, it's bad for PR only because it requires less discussion to be fully informed, from which follows less online buzz, less scrambling around to find the correct place and time of purchase, and less urgency when you do.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I believe it somewhat, because it could be sold for a profit at $500.

Here is what I think is bull

* 6x USB 2.0 ports
* 2x HDMI 1.3 ports
* 3x Gigabit ethernet ports

Why the hell would you need 2 HDMI ports and 3 ethernet ports, such bullcrap.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PS3 Rep:
"Ok boss, I figured out our problem. SEE, it's the problem of value and sole appeal to the hardcore. Instead of following that silly "drop-the-price-as-parts-get-cheaper" strategy where one basic system, and I mean basic c'mon, gets cheaper over time and gradually allows a wider base to purchase this...nah nah nah...we DON"T WANT THAT!!! That would only make this LESS HARDCORE!! Isn't that who we made this system for? Here's my idea: as parts get cheaper, WHY DONT WE PUT IN MORE EXPENSIVE PARTS AND KEEP THE PRICE THE FUCKING SAME!!?? That solves two problems in one! Not only do we resolve that silly trying-to-appeal-to-the-masses that those hilariously bad businessmen over nintendo try to follow by cheapening their products, we also solve the problem of ever actually making money on our hardware, SOMETHING WE TRULY STAND AGAINST!"

PS3 Boss:
You are a brilliant man. Do it now.

PS2 Boss:

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Hcoregamer00 said:
I believe it somewhat, because it could be sold for a profit at $500.

Here is what I think is bull

* 6x USB 2.0 ports
* 2x HDMI 1.3 ports
* 3x Gigabit ethernet ports

Why the hell would you need 2 HDMI ports and 3 ethernet ports, such bullcrap.

maybe the USB ports I can agree with, I wish they would atleast have some in the fucking back of the console.

Kyoufu

This makes no sense. If it has a card-reader configuration on the motherboard, why not have PS2 BC hardware also?

And whats the point of 2 HDMI ports? lol

MWS Natural said:
At the magic $99 price point?

According to the way Sony does things it should be available in Japan by my birthday.

Twilight Princess said:
20gb, 40gb, 60gb, 80gb, 120gb PS3s
core, premium, elite, HDMI, Xbox 360
>(*O*)< head spins

Fixed.

Falcon isn't an SKU. It's the premium with the new heatsink.

Hcoregamer00

g35twinturbo said:
maybe the USB ports I can agree with, I wish they would atleast have some in the fucking back of the console.

I agree with the USB ports, because that makes sense.

The other additions to HDMI and Ethernet is so damn useless that it makes it blatantly fake.

dolemite

OldJadedGamer said:
The original model had it at E305 and to this day, every single PS3 dev kit ships with 2 HDMI ports (one is covered up).

The dual HDMI will make a comeback... believe!
Indeed:
ps3rear.jpg

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Hcoregamer00 said:

The other additions to HDMI and Ethernet is so damn useless that it makes it blatantly fake.

I 100% agree.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hcoregamer00 said:

The original model they showcased had the dual HDMI and the three gigabit ethernet ports (the console was planned to be your entertainment center router)...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
OldJadedGamer said:
I'm surprised at the lack of knowledge about this here. I thought every one knew about it:

edit: dolemite got a better pic.

how could you not know :lol everyone was saying the same thing they are saying now, why would you need 2 HDMI ports and 3 gigabit connections (maybe for lan games at most 2)

antiloop

sinnergy said:
This was promised to use before PS3 launched... :lol

Yes and Microsoft promised HDD in every 360!!!
Prototypes

Anyway 2xHDMI sounds like fake to me. Could be a more expensive media center edition though.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
PS3 now has enough value in games that I'd be willing to buy one at $400 dollars. So long as it has backwards compatibility.

I think this is a good sign, that's a lot of storage although I have no idea what I'd do with it.

i've gotta say... i really have no fucking clue what sony is trying to accomplish with all of this. the 80GB is fine, the 60GB was fine, and the 40GB is fine... what's with all the sku's? an extra 40GB of hard drive space is not going to make people run out to pick these things up... and the constant sku changes give off the impression that sony is really sweating. it's unbelievable to me that the fucktard who is making these decisions most likely commands a six-figure salary... at this point, sony deserves to finish this gen dead last.

Hcoregamer00

Killthee said:
The original model they showcased had the dual HDMI and the three gigabit ethernet ports (the console was planned to be your entertainment centers router)...

That doesn't make it any less useless, especially considering most people don't even have one HDMI cable hooked up to the PS3.

What would be more logical would be VGA outputs.

Hcoregamer00

MikeHaggar said:
i've gotta say... i really have no fucking clue what sony is trying to accomplish with all of this. the 80GB is fine, the 60GB was fine, and the 40GB is fine... what's with all the sku's? an extra 40GB of hard drive space is not going to make people run out to pick these things up... and the constant sku changes give off the impression that sony is really sweating. it's unbelievable to me that the fucktard who is making these decisions most likely commands a six-figure salary... at this point, sony deserves to finish this gen dead last.

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Geez, you guys really need to lighten up.

antiloop

MikeHaggar said:

That was the idead with the modular design. I remember Kutaragi bragging about it back in the days.

Something about releasing new SKU:s every year because of the modular design making it easy to add and remove features.

I don't see why they'd include a DS3, i image they're making a decent amount of money on those things. (especially when they're released everywhere)

sakuragi

Banned
The extra HD space is dumb since it will only elevate the price of the console. Since its easy and much cheaper to buy a third party HD and replace the HD yourself, I don't know why they even bother with this.

One console SKU please. 40 gig + Dual shock 3 + software BC + price reduction = win.

el Diablo

Banned
Is there seriously anyone out there gives 2 sh!ts about how many USB ports, whether it has card readers, or how big the hard drive is in their PS3 is? With the introduction of the 80, 40, then this model the one question that always comes up is "how backwards compatible with PS2 games is this model?". You'd think they'd get a f'cking clue that if anything is confusing their customers with the different SKU's it's this and how relevant it really is to buyers.

They need 1 core SKU model made as cheaply as possible (like the 40, 2 usb ports, does this thing even have card readers?), and 1 premium SKU that's got all bells and whistles AND has full HW BC.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Hcoregamer00 said:
Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

No? What the fuck was the point of the 20 or the 80 if this was somewhere in the pipeline? They got rid of the 20 almost right away and the 80 seems like such a minor upgrade over the 60. It'd be fine if it was just one SKU that was being updated but this is really confusing even for me. I'm still not seeing where the backwards yes/no is on this expected 120 or 160 gig sku is.

I want to support this, but I have to see some details first. Such as:

1) Will this new model have PS2 backwards compatibility?
2) Does this mean the 40 GB model might see a price drop of some sort?

Bringing out new Sku's is good for getting that quarter's shipment numbers up as retailers have to order the new model to keep it in stock.

Hcoregamer00

QVT said:
No? What the fuck was the point of the 20 or the 80 if this was somewhere in the pipeline? They got rid of the 20 almost right away and the 80 seems like such a minor upgrade over the 60. It'd be fine if it was just one SKU that was being updated but this is really confusing even for me. I'm still not seeing where the backwards yes/no is on this expected 120 or 160 gig sku is.

The idea is simple, to add more to the console as time moves forward.

Adding more to create more perceived value would allow them to create a product that has higher margin. It shouldn't shock you that they are adding something to a SKU to make it have more perceived value so that they could sell it for a higher price and thus allowing the console to actually sell for a profit. Don't be that surprised if we see a PS3 model with 1TB of space before the PS4 comes out.

Assuming that the 40 gig is getting a price drop, I bet that this SKU would be released at $450.

Mason

Seriously, who in the FUCK is making these decisions at Sony? I'm hardly a layperson when it comes to video games and their ridiculous SKU system confuses me. The PS3 has been out for barely more than a year now and they've had, what, 3 models with varying ports/extras and BC compatibility? It's pretty ridiculous.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The idea is simple, to add more to the console as time moves forward.

Adding more to create more perceived value would allow them to create a product that has higher margin. It shouldn't shock you that they are adding something to a SKU to make it have more perceived value so that they could sell it for a higher price and thus allowing the console to actually sell for a profit. Don't be that surprised if we see a PS3 model with 1TB of space before the PS4 comes out.

Assuming that the 40 gig is getting a price drop, I bet that this SKU would be released at $450.

If they are putting a biiger harddrive in its probably to counter the fact they are taking something out (bc)!

Hcoregamer00

grandjedi6 said:
All these SKUs confuses even me

Judging from the "rumored specs" I believe this to be false.

Especially since Sony said that they want to standardize everything to massively reduce costs.

mr_bishiuk said:
If they are putting a biiger harddrive in its probably to counter the fact they are taking something out (bc)!

That is a possibility, assuming this has "rumor" one iota of truth.

They need to come up with a higher cost model to subsidize the 40 gig model that is losing money. The best way to do that is to standardize the motherboard so that all models would have the same. Then after that they create a model that is supposedly a better value so that they could sell it to people who are willing to pay for it.

It is kind of like comparing a Toyota Camry to an Avalon, basically the same thing with more shine and more profit.

SnakeswithLasers said:
This kind of stuff is making it impossible for me to go out and buy a ps3. Why not just wait for the next, better iteration?

If this doesn't have backwards compatibility, it could be argued that the best PS3 SKU is already/was on market. The only thing you're really getting with this rumored PS3 is the controller. Sure, you're getting more hard drive space, but hard drives can be upgraded.

Top Bottom