• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

arstechnica says "Mole: 80GB PS3 dead, 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3 incoming"

SnakeswithLasers said:
This kind of stuff is making it impossible for me to go out and buy a ps3. Why not just wait for the next, better iteration?

Because in the end it really doesn't matter. None of the changes made have any effect on the enjoyment of PS3 games. And if you're hung up on BC, they haven't exactly been getting better.

vdo

Didn't some people want to use one HDMI to send straight to their TV for video and the other HDMI to carry the audio to their receiver? Maybe it would only support video over one and audio over the other and not video over both.

I would think just having one HDMI with both audio and video going to the receiver and then using the receiver's HDMI out to pass the video to the TV would not have any disadvantage, but for some reason I thought I remember people wishing that they could separate where the HDMI audio and video signals went to by having more than one port.

You will likely see the HDD get bigger and bigger over time even if PS3 prices decrease simply from the fact a smaller HDD manufacturing process isn't going to be cheaper than a larger one overtime.

I can't stress that last point enough people.

The 20GB was the first one to go. That was extremely small HDD to keep manufacturing when just as cheap if not cheaper ones were being made at far higher capacities in 2007.

Still every single PS3 can upgrade the HDD, it's not like you will be stuck or anything. It's not even a proprietary HDD like X360.

Really best to concern yourself with BC or not, that being said 60GB was best followed by 20GB in that respect.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Absinthe said:
If this doesn't have backwards compatibility, it could be argued that the best PS3 SKU is already/was on market. The only thing you're really getting with this rumored PS3 is the controller. Sure, you're getting more hard drive space, but hard drives can be upgraded.

Assuming this is remotely true (which I doubt), I bet it will use the 40 gig motherboard.

Absinthe said:
If this doesn't have backwards compatibility, it could be argued that the best PS3 SKU is already/was on market. The only thing you're really getting with this rumored PS3 is the controller. Sure, you're getting more hard drive space, but hard drives can be upgraded.

I just want an affordable one with wireless and bc.

Yeah, this is hard to believe. I think that Sony is trying to move toward a one console SKU. Or, you know, one would hope. Especially after all of these clusterfuck announcements.

Twilight Princess said:
40gb, 60gb, 80gb, 120gb PS3s
core, premium, elite, HDMI, falco xbox 360s...

>(*O*)< head spins

Not to mention 20g, bc no bc software bc hardware bc mixed man its all over the place. I still laugh thinking how many 40gs i sold at xmas wihout the parents knowing it wouldnt play ps2 games.:lol

Absinthe said:
Yeah, this is hard to believe. I think that Sony is trying to move toward a one console SKU. Or, you know, one would hope. Especially after all of these clusterfuck announcements.
Kill the 80 now. Then drop the 40s to $350 and bring out the new DS3 120 GB ones with everything but the BC (no chip at all) for $450 then just kill the 40 and drop the new one to $400. Everyones happy but the BC guys.

KingJ2002

if this rumors turns out to be true... Sony is ******* stupid.

enough with the multiple sku's... it's not even necessary with the PS3... it's just a damn hard drive.

Hcoregamer00

miyamotofreak said:
Kill the 80 now. Then drop the 40s to $350 and bring out the new DS3 120 GB ones with everything but the BC (no chip at all) for $450 then just kill the 40 and drop the new one to $400. Everyones happy but the BC guys.

That is my assumption if this SKU is true.

They will use the 40 gig motherboard because they want to standardize everything and get the costs down really fast. Then they would add a larger HDD and more USB ports to make it look like the superior model so that they could actually make some profit on this model, and use it to subsidize a price drop for the low end model.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
This is freaking stupid in all it's entirety dammit, Sony just offer one freaking Console ONE thats it. Bust out with a 299 version and let it be just that.

sakuragi

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
You will likely see the HDD get bigger and bigger over time even if PS3 prices decrease simply from the fact a smaller HDD manufacturing process isn't going to be cheaper than a larger one overtime.

The 20GB was the first one to go. That was extremely small HDD to keep manufacturing when just as cheap if not cheaper ones were being made at far higher capacities in 2007.

Still every single PS3 can upgrade the HDD, it's not like you will be stuck or anything. It's not even a proprietary HDD like X360.

Really best to concern yourself with BC or not, that being said 60GB was best followed by 20GB in that respect.

But that still doesn't make sense for Sony if they want to make a profit. Why would they reduce the profit per console by increasing the hardrive capacity as time goes by? lets say the 80 gig HD costs $50 now and after one year, it will cost $25. So instead of gaining $25 because the price of the 40 gig went down, they increase the space to 120 gig because it costs the same as the 80 gig a year ago? Why? Its not like the extra space is important. Not everybody needs that much HD space. But if they did, then they could just upgrade it themselves. That way, both the consumers and Sony wins.

It would be better if they added Backward compatiblity instead of the increased HD space really.

Hcoregamer00

Elbrain said:
This is freaking stupid in all it's entirety dammit, Sony just offer one freaking Console ONE thats it. Bust out with a 299 version and let it be just that.

That's even assuming this is true.

All signs point to no because of a certain little disparity that makes no damn sense.

2 HDMI and 3 Ethernet ports.

KingJ2002 said:
if this rumors turns out to be true... Sony is ******* stupid.

enough with the multiple sku's... it's not even necessary with the PS3... it's just a damn hard drive.

You definitely don't own a PS3 if you make that assumption.

Hcoregamer00 said:
They will use the 40 gig motherboard because they want to standardize everything and get the costs down really fast. Then they would add a larger HDD and more USB ports to make it look like the superior model so that they could actually make some profit on this model, and use it to subsidize a price drop for the low end model.
finally they're not as stupid as we all think hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

goodman02_PinkyBrain-01.jpg

Neo C.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

Exactly.

At some point, you can't lower the production cost of the 40GB HDD, while the bigger HDDs don't cost much more than the previous one. It makes sense to offer bigger HDD.

Slavik81

Sony: We're discontinuing the 80GB PS3...
Gamers: What? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sony: and replacing it with a 120GB PS3 at the same price.

:lol
GAF's hilarious. Never change.

takotchi

I just hope they announce something soon. I have a Sony Card coming with the $100 off deal attached and I'm holding out because of the apparent discontinuation of the 80GB.

Hcoregamer00

Neo C. said:
Exactly.

At some point, you can't lower the production cost of the 40GB HDD, while the bigger HDDs don't cost much more than the previous one. It makes sense to offer bigger HDD.

Bingo, and if you could make and make people perceive it to be an improvement, then why not do it?

takotchi said:
I just hope they announce something soon. I have a Sony Card coming with the $100 off deal attached and I'm holding out because of the apparent discontinuation of the 80GB.

You realize that they flooded the market with 80 gig models that it would take 3-4 months for it to clear out.

Loudninja

Slavik81 said:
Sony: We're discontinuing the 80GB PS3...
Sony: and replacing it with a 120GB PS3 at the same price.

:lol
GAF's hilarious. Never change.

Yeah :lol

Tideas

Banned
you can tell it's fake when there's are 2 extra USB ports and 1 additional HDMI ports.

Sony's trying to save manufacturing cost, not increase it.

Hcoregamer00

g35twinturbo said:
that was on my mind :) add some salt/pepper for taste

Of course, this rumor will be false. If by chance that 1/15,000,000 chance happens, you got to be prepared.

Pick a small manual like NFL blitz and avoid anything by Square or Enix.

takotchi

Hcoregamer00 said:
You realize that they flooded the market with 80 gig models that it would take 3-4 months for it to clear out.

I just want to know if what's coming is worth waiting for. I don't think the deal expires or anything, it just says the first purchase over $299...

Snah

Banned
Tideas said:
you can tell it's fake when there's are 2 extra USB ports and 1 additional HDMI ports.

Sony's trying to save manufacturing cost, not increase it.

Yup.

Also, 160 GB+ HDDs are freaking overkill for the most part. What's the point?

I've got a 20, and it's still not filled to capacity. I stream all of my media over to my PS3. No reason to store it locally.

Hcoregamer00

takotchi said:
I just want to know if what's coming is worth waiting for. I don't think the deal expires or anything, it just says the first purchase over $299...

Don't worry, this model if its true will likely not have software BC. I would happily be wrong, but it is the direction Sony decided not to take when they made the 40 gig.

Snah said:
Yup.

Also, 160 GB+ HDDs are freaking overkill for the most part. What's the point?

I've got a 20, and it's still not filled to capacity. I stream all of my media over to my PS3. No reason to store it locally.

I have 6 PS3 games and combined they take around 10 gigs of space. When the 2008 lineup come out then my HDD will get filled up fast.

dolemite

takotchi said:
I thing the Sony Card deal expires on Jan. 31st/2008.

Tideas

Banned
takotchi said:

whatever is coming out later isn't gonna make your ps3 game run better, faster, or anything that has the word "better" in it, that you can't do yourself right now.

Hcoregamer00

Tideas said:
whatever is coming out later isn't gonna make your ps3 game run better, faster, or anything that has the word "better" in it, that you can't do yourself right now.

Yup, the 60 gig model is still the best one.

KingJ2002

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's even assuming this is true.

All signs point to no because of a certain little disparity that makes no damn sense.

2 HDMI and 3 Ethernet ports.

You definitely don't own a PS3 if you make that assumption.

i don't own one...i want to pick one up this year... but with rumors of an upcoming price drop. i'm playing the waiting game to see what happens.

as far as the hard drive goes... they should just release one sku... the 40GB one... then let people upgrade their own hard drive... like memory cards.

if they drop the 40GB to 299.99... strategically they place themselves close to the Wii and under the 360 Pro... which is smarter IMO.

SnakeswithLasers said:
This kind of stuff is making it impossible for me to go out and buy a ps3. Why not just wait for the next, better iteration?

exactly... this is the reason why i dont own one now.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Hcoregamer00 said:
Of course, this rumor will be false. If by chance that 1/15,000,000 chance happens, you got to be prepared.

Pick a small manual like NFL blitz and avoid anything by Square or Enix.

iono if I could eat my FF7 booklet, 1. its hella thick and 2. its FF7

Hcoregamer00

KingJ2002 said:
i don't own one...i want to pick one up this year... but with rumors of an upcoming price drop. i'm playing the waiting game to see what happens.

as far as the hard drive goes... they should just release one sku... the 40GB one... then let people upgrade their own hard drive... like memory cards.

if they drop the 40GB to 299.99... strategically they place themselves close to the Wii and under the 360 Pro... which is smarter IMO.

All I could say is that your assumptions are untrue.

First off, the PS3 already has hard drives that can be upgradeable. Get any 2.5" notebook drive that runs at 5200 RPM's and it should work fine on a PS3. Secondly, you would be foolish to assume that a price drop from sony wont mean that MS would stay still.

They are making profit off the 360 hand and foot, they could afford to price drop the console to $300 at a moment's notice.

g35twinturbo said:
iono if I could eat my FF7 booklet, 1. its hella thick and 2. its FF7

Go for your crappier games, with a thin booklet.

sakuragi said:
But that still doesn't make sense for Sony if they want to make a profit. Why would they reduce the profit per console by increasing the hardrive capacity as time goes by? lets say the 80 gig HD costs $50 now and after one year, it will cost $25. So instead of gaining $25 because the price of the 40 gig went down, they increase the space to 120 gig because it costs the same as the 80 gig a year ago? Why? Its not like the extra space is important. Not everybody needs that much HD space. But if they did, then they could just upgrade it themselves. That way, both the consumers and Sony wins.

It would be better if they added Backward compatiblity instead of the increased HD space really.

Well it comes down to production cost. You reach a point where it doesn't really matter that manufacturing say 40GB versus maybe 120GB when it doesn't cost all that differently anyway simply because the manufacturing process keeps accommodating higher capacity drives.

For instance it wouldn't surprise me to see that the 20GB is more expensive to mass manufacture than say the 80GB drive now. Check something like newegg.com and the smallest laptop HDD drive they got are 60GB. Smallest regular HDD drive you can get at like Best Buy is mostly 120GB.

It's a tricky thing with HDD standard in a console, it's actually more cost effective if you keep scaling up not down in capacity as time goes on.

Snah

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I am talking about the Premium model that is $350, not unless the console got a magical price drop I didn't hear about.

To be fair, the cost you're talking about does not include RROD issues, which is substantial.

Top Bottom