• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

arstechnica says "Mole: 80GB PS3 dead, 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3 incoming"

MaX_PL

Banned
jett said:
I guess Sony doesn't fucking get it. Stop it with the over $400 SKUs.

what if these release 399 and the 40gig goes down to 299?

theres supposed to be a gta4 price drop, isnt there?

Firewire

Banned
MaX_PL said:
theres supposed to be a gta4 price drop, isnt there?

This is just rumor.

No one from either MS or Sony have ever stated this, and of course if they did it would murder their sales till the actual price drop.

I think all the speculation started with an analyst, not sure if it was Patcher or someone else.

larvi

Why do you need 3 ethernet ports? Redundancy so you can hook to multiple routers in case of a network outage on one of them? I'm sure that's a configuration a lot of people have at home.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Snah said:
To be fair, the cost has been accounted for and it's over 1 billion dollars, which is, of course, a substantial sum of money. I'm sure Microsoft hasn't been aggressive with their pricing strategy because of this cost.

Further, your personal attack just provides evidence that you are an incredibly insecure person and need to grow up.

I hope that helps.

Really, because you just told someone else MS making money on the premium model doesn't include the RROD charge. Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. That charge has NOTHING to do with whether or not MS has room in the production costs to lower the price. Further, there was no personal attack, just an astute observation of your recent swing into ridiculous territory that could use a little adjustment.

Guy Legend

I don't see why some of you complain so much over PS3 sku's. There has always been traditionally 1 or 2 sku's available at a time. Consumers aren't going to pay much attention anyways to the specifics of the number of gigs in harddrive space. What they see is a cheaper model and a more expensive model. As long as that stays consistent, I think it's fine to upgrade the hardware.

As for this 120-160gb unit with dualshock 3, excellent news if it maintains the functionalities of the 80gb/60gb. I expect we will see it release in multiple territories. All will be well and the value proposition for buying the high end sku remains. If it doesn't have BC, card readers, etc......it will be a fool's unit like the XB360 elite.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, the "no hardware BC" ties into my previous posts that they will be standardizing the 40 gig motherboard which will means that costs can be decreased across the line. As for software BC, I could see it happen.

Just to reiterate what I said, having full software BC is impossible, they would definitely have more than the other console, but the GPU has so much bandwidth that it would lead to emulation problems for a large percentage of the games. I am not expecting the later generation PS2 games to be compatible since they use the PS2 fully.

Not to be cruel but I would like you to define EXACTLY how you know this part:
"gpu has so much bandwidth that it would lead to emluation problems".

I have been programming professionally for over 12 years in many firelds from NASA research, finance, to video games.

Tell me sir... If I don't have the requisite facts to DEFINITIVELY say such a bold technical statement... Where do you have your pedigree from?

Quite frankly, I believe that Sony is firmly working on this and I don't particularly think its impossible to be done on the PS3 with high compatibility. Limited more by financial problems of diminishing returns rather than "gpu bandwidth" problems.

Guy Legend

Also for you Euros, there's a good chance you guys would get this system too (if it truly exists).

What SCEE's president had to say earlier this year:

"The difference between 60 and 80GB is very small, we just feel that going up 20GB is not worth it," he said, adding: "if you go to double it, it's worth it ... so maybe you'll see something a little bit later."

Sure leaves the possibility very open....

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is my assumption if this SKU is true.

They will use the 40 gig motherboard because they want to standardize everything and get the costs down really fast. Then they would add a larger HDD and more USB ports to make it look like the superior model so that they could actually make some profit on this model, and use it to subsidize a price drop for the low end model.

DING DING! We have a winnar, aha hha ahaha!

Flakster99

Who knows truly if this is bullshit or not, time will tell. Sony has not been shy introducing, mixing up their hardware to spike sales, find that groove they're so desperately searching for, so I believe by early summer we will see similar configurations as these.

And when that happens, factoring a better software lineup, (hopefully) factoring in another price cut, BC of some sort, +1 me.

About multiple skews being a mixed bag in general.

Were is Sony's focus at? Confusing, putting off potential ignorant buyers, and giving them thoughts of well, if I wait a bit longer, I'll get another hardware configuration better to my liking, which share similar thoughts about waiting for a price reduction hasn't quite delivered the user-base thus far.

Pharmacy

Banned
NEOGAF EXCLUSIVE: PHARMACYS INTERVIEW WITH "THE MOLE"

6heo65d.gif
yo mole

2ytzknt.gif
sup

6heo65d.gif
what do u know about the new ps3

2ytzknt.gif
its 160GB and has 5 hdmi ports and its lime green lol

6heo65d.gif
why did u lol mr mole

2ytzknt.gif
no reason lmao

6heo65d.gif
YOUR BLIND HOW CAN YOU SEE WHAT COLOUR IT IS AND WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

2ytzknt.gif
my sense of smell means i c--

6heo65d.gif
NO MOLE FUCK YOU

2ytzknt.gif
dude that is not a nice thing to say to me plz apologise

6heo65d.gif
NO MOLE. NO. *kicks over mounds of dirt in field to piss mole off*

true story

Shoho

Banned
To me it seems like that a new bundle will have to be "sold" as something special to really get people hyped. like a PS3 2th generation kind of thing.

Make it white, make a big deal about smaller 65nm processor, and that its better, faster and stronger and more silent and less hot and bla bla.

perhaps bundle it with some good build in PSN games, in contrast to the sayings of Wii which has wii sports bundled...

perhaps bundle it with a headset or something?

if they want to, they can make a big deal about it repackage it as something new and incredible...

"* Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
* Sony PlayStation 3
* 160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
* CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
* PPU x1, SPE x8
* RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
* Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
* Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
* Digital
* 6x USB 2.0 ports
* 2x HDMI 1.3 ports
* 3x Gigabit ethernet ports

* DUALSHOCK 3 controller"

That chunk of specs right there makes me warry of it being true.

Redd

Firewire said:
There is only one reason for all of this. The fact that they want to try and hit 11 million units by March. Create a new sku, scare the kiddies so they run out and buy the 80GB stock. Enthusiasts then buy the new sku, probably because its white and includes the DS3.

I was at my local EB last night, and some guy was asking about the 80GB, I was surprised to hear that it was sold out. The kid behind the counter, was like "I don't understand it we had quite a few last week & now all of a sudden they are all gone, he also stated that it was weird because there wasn't any big new release pushing it" Then the guy told him about the rumored drop of the 80GB.

I know this is one small store, but I'm surprised that this rumor stuff works, and actually pushes consoles out the door. I guess word has spread about the death of the 80GB.

Like I said this would be a wise move by Sony to get rid of their old stock since new buyers want BC. Then they'll turn around and bring out a new sku with a bigger hd and bc at the same price. Smart plan to move older bc systems based off of a rumor..................... IF this turns out to be true.

Redd said:
Like I said this would be a wise move by Sony to get rid of their old stock since new buyers want BC. Then they'll turn around and bring out a new sku with a bigger hd and bc at the same price. Smart plan to move older bc systems based off of a rumor..................... IF this turns out to be true.

New buyers want BC... interesting. Every 2nd year adopter I talk to reply with "why would I want to play old games" when I let them know the 40gb option doesn't have BC.

Redd

Byakuya769 said:
New buyers want BC... interesting. Every 2nd year adopter I talk to reply with "why would I want to play old games" when I let them know the 40gb option doesn't have BC.

Strange I thought I was in the minority myself until I found out the 80gb model outsold the 40gb. I can admit when I'm wrong though.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This is a total CE embarrassment.

Naming them after the capacity (that can easily be changed) is retarded.

This is cool. The longer it takes for Sony to get a clue, the longer I have to wait and watch the good games accumulate, white SKU offered, price continue to drop etc.

Teknoman

Greatness Gone said:
Now you bitches crying about installing 5GB worth of shit for your games can finally shut the fuck up.

Someone was gonna say it sooner or later :lol. Though I still think 60 GB- 80GB should be more than enough for a console.

Also wasnt there supposed to be a Silver PS3 as well? I remember 3 of them being shown early on.

Shoho

Banned
Byakuya769 said:

do they really? seems to me that people got not problem buying the same shit with a bit upped resolution and HD attatched to the tile... if live and wii store is any indication.

its more money for developers and publishers if they can re-sell the games of yesterday today, at todays price. nice.

honestly did people really play psone games when ps2 came out? I dont think so. I think that the hole BC thing is just people freaking out.
its more a psychological reaction to the fact that the thousands of dollars that they used on games for a system that does not matter anymore, wont work on the newer machines...

i really never used my 360 for bc. was to busy with all the new sequels to games i owned on the first xbox. i think its the same thing for ps3.

Shoho

Banned
they should bundle the 160 GB ps3 with a psp of same color. that would rock. ultimate entertainment station. that would be sick. seriously. ultimate pack-in. then your set.

Byakuya769 said:

Is this anything aside from anecdotal?

Shoho said:
do they really? seems to me that people got not problem buying the same shit with a bit upped resolution and HD attatched to the tile... if live and wii store is any indication.

its more money for developers and publishers if they can re-sell the games of yesterday today, at todays price. nice.

honestly did people really play psone games when ps2 came out? I dont think so. I think that the hole BC thing is just people freaking out.
its more a psychological reaction to the fact that the thousands of dollars that they used on games for a system that does not matter anymore, wont work on the newer machines...

i really never used my 360 for bc. was to busy with all the new sequels to games i owned on the first xbox. i think its the same thing for ps3.

I think you misunderstood me. On to...

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is this anything aside from anecdotal?

Did I say it was anything other than anecdotal? Is the majority of this thread and even forum, anything aside from anecdotal?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Byakuya769 said:
Either pay me $20, or get of my jock.
We have an internet tough guy.

Anyway, BC was important to me when I bought my PS3. I never owned a PS2 so there were a plethora of games I wanted to play, too. Also, take a look at the used prices for 20/60 GB systems. They're pretty solid which I believe means there's a market out there.

bran

If this is out today with the same BC as the 80GB version and the same price, minus Motorstorm and Spiderman, I would instantly buy it.

GhaleonEB

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"* Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
* Sony PlayStation 3
* 160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
* CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
* PPU x1, SPE x8
* RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
* Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
* Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
* Digital
* 6x USB 2.0 ports
* 2x HDMI 1.3 ports
* 3x Gigabit ethernet ports

* DUALSHOCK 3 controller"

That chunk of specs right there makes me warry of it being true.
Yeah, that sounds off. But by virtue of being so specific in the feature set it will be very easy to look back and see how accurate - or not - the source is. It would not surprise me at all to see a new SKU with the roll out of the DS3 ahead of GRA.

Bboy AJ said:
We have an internet tough guy.

Anyway, BC was important to me when I bought my PS3. I never owned a PS2 so there were a plethora of games I wanted to play, too. Also, take a look at the used prices for 20/60 GB systems. They're pretty solid which I believe means there's a market out there.

Bahahah, great choice of posts to link to. I feel sorry for anyone who actually clicks that if they were expecting some of my inflammatory work, cause that was some pretty level headed shit if I do say so myself.

Oh and by the way, it probably would have helped you a bit if you were smart enough to connect snakeswithlasers tag with my post.

As to the issue of BC. The only people who care about that stuff are the same people that posts on boards, read gaming news all the time, and consider themselves "gamers".. and there isn't 50 million+ of those worldwide. However, there are a lot of people who want to buy affordable "next-gen" consoles so they can play "next-gen" games.

Dragon

Banned
Redd said:
Strange I thought I was in the minority myself until I found out the 80gb model outsold the 40gb. I can admit when I'm wrong though.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that the reason that the 80 GB outsold the 40 was because of BC, but maybe I missed some information.

"Our inside source of all things video gaming has been right almost every time "

Nuff said?

That said, if one does come out like this rumored 160GB with 6 USB ports and what have you...I may consider upgrading...

Guy Legend

TheBranca18 said:
I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that the reason that the 80 GB outsold the 40 was because of BC, but maybe I missed some information.

You're right. Increased 80gb sales were due to Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) capabilities.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Guy Legend said:
You're right. Increased 80gb sales were due to Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) capabilities.

Yes, after all, the fact that is has double the storage capacity and has a game bundled along with is not a great reason for the 80 gig to sell well during the holiday season.

I'm sure there will be a new one to add the DS3 but I really hope they add a cup holder because the PS3 is not flat and I'm always having a hard time placing my drinks.

Top Bottom