• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: SketchPad |OT|

NeoRausch

zlCfzRFR-G4qf_cI7g

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAABAADRUV6gpeq1eA

Robin64

Could some folks please check their Wii U eShops in about ten minutes. Thanks!

Also, the images seem to be about 400k in size on average. With over 12000 posts already, that means there's about 4GB of data uploaded and stored already. That's from one region in one day. Hope they have big servers.

Mik2121

Gave this thing a try (about 15 mins while learning the tools and testing things out).
It's very neat, but of course nowhere near the quality of Photoshop. It's still better than drawing on the iPad (except the iPad apps have layers...), but I don't think I'll be using this much. Maybe sometimes for the random doodle when on the sofa...

Robin64

Gave this thing a try (about 15 mins while learning the tools and testing things out).
It's very neat, but of course nowhere near the quality of Photoshop. It's still better than drawing on the iPad (except the iPad apps have layers...), but I don't think I'll be using this much. Maybe sometimes for the random doodle when on the sofa...

I think where this shines is that it's a cheap accessible drawing tool for many people and the community that goes with it is outstanding.

I think it just needs one improvement and that's some categories when you post.

Mik2121

I think where this shines is that it's a cheap accessible drawing tool for many people and the community that goes with it is outstanding.

I think it just needs one improvement and that's some categories when you post.
Yep. Also it has a very realistic feel when it comes to the brushes. Not a fan of the lack of pressure, but hey, there's not much that can be done about that...

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, some of the stuff people are tossing up...it's hard to believe a touch screen is so decent at this. Especially since I've heard the Wii U's is pretty shitty. Tons of talented folks out there.

StayDead

Is it just my imagination or is this free on the Japanese eShop? I can seemingly download it without having any money.

EDIT: NVM I'm blind.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Man, some of the stuff people are tossing up...it's hard to believe a touch screen is so decent at this. Especially since I've heard the Wii U's is pretty shitty. Tons of talented folks out there.

hmm... not sure where you "heard" this.. FUD?

Wii U screen is pretty decent for a resistive screen. Obviously night and day different from a capacitive screen (i.e. most "touch with your fingers" screens like phones and tablets)

Nilaul

Resistive touchscreens are the best for drawing and usually they come with have sensitivity however Nintendo doesn't want to pay the licencing fee for the technology; so they made sure that function of the screen cant be activated.

Resistive screens are way better for drawing then capacitive screens.

tauke

Resistive touchscreens are the best for drawing and usually they come with have sensitivity however Nintendo doesn't want to pay the licencing fee for the technology; so they made sure that function of the screen cant be activated.

Resistive screens are way better for drawing then capacitive screens.

That's the first time I heard of a licencing fee for pressure sensitivity on resistive screen. o_O

I still can't get used to a drawing on either capacitive or resistive screen (although DS Lite pressure level is pretty decent for a portable gaming device) compared to a Wacom tablet.

Still impress with what people can do with SketchPad.

kitsuneyo

hey that's a good start. are you gonna add colors and patterns? the main frame already looks pretty promising.

Thanks! I tried to colour it but it looked shit. I hope those lessons don't take too long to arrive, I think I could actually learn some technique with this thing. The touchscreen on Wii U is a lot better than I realised.

NeoRausch

Thanks! I tried to colour it but it looked shit. I hope those lessons don't take too long to arrive, I think I could actually learn some technique with this thing. The touchscreen on Wii U is a lot better than I realised.

can you save at some point ( like your pencil sketch) try some coloring or the like and return to your original save before?

kitsuneyo

can you save at some point ( like your pencil sketch) try some coloring or the like and return to your original save before?

I don't know about that. There are three sets of tools though: pencils, coloured pencils and pastels. When you switch between sets, your work is "fixed" so you can't erase anymore (it warns you about this). When you start drawing with your newly-selected set of tools, the eraser only erases what you've done since you switched. So there is kind of a layers system, but you don't get total control over it. (These are just my impressions, there might be more to it than I know)

Elixist

cmon pricedrop i want to mess with this. alot of the pikmin stuff is stunning, it'd be cool to see some Orioto or Spaniard stuff on this.

Anyone in this thread who is considering getting the lessons for Art Academy Wii U later - seriously do consider picking up the DSiware/DS original or the upgraded 3DS release - the lessons on it are absolutely solid, and will help you get the hang of basics. The 3DS titles DLC lessons are half off till sunday too (in EU at least, not sure if US got the discount too) and cover a HUGE range from basic pastel blending to life drawing.

I'ld swear Vince is the best art teacher I've ever had despite taking GCSE and A level art. Of course he can't personally critique your work, or personally suggest where you could of done better, but on the flip side: everything is done by steps, you've got all the time you need to finish that step, and Vince always shows how he performs the various techniques before asking you to try. You can always take the lessons again too.

Brannon

Art Academy? I'll admit the black and white images come out great, but there's no way it can do full color with majesty.

*looks at images*

Kramer+-+I%27m+Out.gif

And just like that, I realize that I now have my first drawing tablet, wonky though it may be. Time for doodles!

Top Bottom