• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: SketchPad |OT|

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I made an art! ARTCEPTION!
zlCfzRFUKa0aRTeMnv

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAADYUV6noGRggQ

Very nice, love the soft reflection of the plant on the table.

I hope some of you will find a job out of this.

I wish I had this drawing gift.

I wonder if anyone will use the Art app as an alt to a drawing tool + computer tablet like Photoshop? Surely, the potential is easily there. I'd love to see Nintendo specifically have their concept art teams put the program through it's paces, just to market it in a subtle way...

Just bought this. Here is my first try. Tried drawing my avatar from memory.

zlCfzRFURagN2Cl7D8

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADOUgHp_zDcPA

Looks like that came out pretty nice! I really like the oily pastel look much of these pictures have; some much digital work is overly-sharp and such, that it's actually pretty nice to see so many varied subjects getting that "life drawing" style art treatment.

Art Academy? I'll admit the black and white images come out great, but there's no way it can do full color with majesty.

*looks at images*

And just like that, I realize that I now have my first drawing tablet, wonky though it may be. Time for doodles!

An artist is never limited by tools! Just by imagination!

I think the software does a great job making up for any Wii U "wonk" too, really. For most people, this thing is way deeper than many will ever get with certain tools anywho, and the amount of varied expression we're already seeing, even on day 1 / 2 is fantastic.

Brannon

A lesson I will have to learn. On an off note, I hope there's an option to let people rotate images 90 degrees for portrait mode after the piece is finished on the Gamepad, but that may mess up Miiverse viewing so, yeah. Could totally happen though!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A lesson I will have to learn. On an off note, I hope there's an option to let people rotate images 90 degrees for portrait mode after the piece is finished on the Gamepad, but that may mess up Miiverse viewing so, yeah. Could totally happen though!

You could always flip the gamepad, but yeah... not sure if there will be any canvas controls within the program. Would be nice though, maybe it'll come if they ever allow the communities images to be the "meat" of the post, rather than an attachment?

Is everyone doing these drawings with the regular stylus or something that has a smaller tip?

Regular Stock Stylus, though sometimes I also use my Wacom pen. The size of the pen has nothing to do with the drawing on the pad, as the "point" is determined by your selection in the software (on Miiverse and Art Academy.)

Pachimari

Fantastic drawings.

I'm thinking of getting this for my new Wii U but the 3DS game is also on sale right now. Don't know which one to get. =/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fantastic drawings.

I'm thinking of getting this for my new Wii U but the 3DS game is also on sale right now. Don't know which one to get. =/

I guess it depends on what you want from it.

The 3DS game has more upfront now, and is great if you spend a lot of time on the system.

But the Wii U version has all the tools you need to start sharing your art with Miiverse, the ability to share the stuff easily with your TV / anyone around you, easy sharing with the internet thanks to the web Miiverse stuff. It's the easier one to be "social" with, if that is a goal.

I'm Wii U bias obviously, but I don't think either option is wrong!

Fantastic drawings.

The Wii U isn't the game. The full game will release later with drawing lessons like the 3DS version This a $4 app that gives just the art tools to create drawings.

Seriously, some of these drawings are absolutely incredible. People are so talented. Unlike me, I can barely draw a stickman on the Wii U screen :-(

Three things that are currently putting me off what I'm otherwise having a fun enough time with:

1. Can you not hotkey certain things like the erasor or pencils to a certain button press?
  2. Why isn't there a dedicated 'undo' button?
  3. Is there anything resembling layers?

I know the AA series is meant to be a more realistic simulation of drawing and painting, but so far the functionality of this app is a letdown coming off of Colors 3D for me, especially since I was looking forward to the much bigger drawing space and resolution the Wii U would bring to the experience. Any corrections to the above three points would be highly appreciated though!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Very nice, love the soft reflection of the plant on the table.

I wonder if anyone will use the Art app as an alt to a drawing tool + computer tablet like Photoshop? Surely, the potential is easily there. I'd love to see Nintendo specifically have their concept art teams put the program through it's paces, just to market it in a subtle way...

Looks like that came out pretty nice! I really like the oily pastel look much of these pictures have; some much digital work is overly-sharp and such, that it's actually pretty nice to see so many varied subjects getting that "life drawing" style art treatment.

I think the software does a great job making up for any Wii U "wonk" too, really. For most people, this thing is way deeper than many will ever get with certain tools anywho, and the amount of varied expression we're already seeing, even on day 1 / 2 is fantastic.

will you be using this for toonami nights? :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
will you be using this for toonami nights? :)

At the VERY least, I'll be making the "Title" image with it ^_^ I myself am wondering if it's really be fitting to spam the community with 13 or so drawings over a 6 hour period, every Saturday / Sunday, haha.

I wish this came out a day or 2 earlier... the idea of speed drawings + Color make NO sense to my mind, lol.It's totally daunting to me, ATM!

god,I love this guys work. sexy and awesome at the same time. ballsy.

zlCfzRFS0X4iXEmJ_4

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAABAADRUV6gp1T6Mg

let's see who gets offended first by suggestive nipples. Nintendo seems to be cool so far. what about you GAF?
I drew a picture of two interlocked male symbols and it got deleted for being sexually explicit. The Miiverse mods are hypocritical pieces of garbage that are probably fapping to this drawing as we speak.

Fewr

I like this, but I'm terrible at it. I hope the lessons come out soon, and that at least the first is free for those who have bought the thing.

Fewr

No, just freestyle mode with a few pictures you can use as "template" to draw. There is a lessons section, but it says "coming soon".
There is another coming soon button, but I can't remember what it is.

sakipon

I too was hoping to rotate the art pieces in portfolio so I could view vertical drawings correctly on my TV. I wish they'd patch that one in.

No, just freestyle mode with a few pictures you can use as "template" to draw. There is a lessons section, but it says "coming soon".

Gallery is the other one.

Nilaul

Guess Ill wait with the 4 euros. Want to make sure I know what Im getting into when buying this.

javac

My attempt at "art". I'm not good with detail, or color, or hard lines. I'm only competent at sketch style. :(

zlCfzRFVOeoMnO2ZNE

That's really cool! I'm the opposite. I can't sketch for shit. I don't even use guides I just draw the actual shape and approximate. It's the reason my drawings never look exactly right lol.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
At the VERY least, I'll be making the "Title" image with it ^_^ I myself am wondering if it's really be fitting to spam the community with 13 or so drawings over a 6 hour period, every Saturday / Sunday, haha.

I wish this came out a day or 2 earlier... the idea of speed drawings + Color make NO sense to my mind, lol.It's totally daunting to me, ATM!

haha well good luck

Unison

I have no drawing talent, but I did do some lessons on the 3DS version, which helped a lot using this... Can't wait for the full version with paint and lessons!

First attempt:

mdYlj1X.png

sakipon

They should add more tags to this Miiverse community for easier browsing. Atleast there should be a lesson tag once those get released... otherwise we'll be looking at a ton of cherries or whatever subjects the first lessons will use. (I know I was proud of my 3DS lesson cherry.)

Drew the cat.

I like this one! It conveys anger and primal instincts on so many levels.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This took a little while cause I had no idea how to use the program properly, once I figured it out it was pretty fun! Will post more for sure :)

zlCfzRFWCJQ9i_8KTw

CengizMan

Three things that are currently putting me off what I'm otherwise having a fun enough time with:

1. Can you not hotkey certain things like the erasor or pencils to a certain button press?
    [*]Why isn't there a dedicated 'undo' button?
    [*]Is there anything resembling layers?

I know the AA series is meant to be a more realistic simulation of drawing and painting, but so far the functionality of this app is a letdown coming off of Colors 3D for me, especially since I was looking forward to the much bigger drawing space and resolution the Wii U would bring to the experience. Any corrections to the above three points would be highly appreciated though!

This putting me off to, since it's easier to draw something in a drawing application, rather than a drawing simulation. Especially the absence of an undo button gives the game a high entry level. It's pretty difficult to draw something nice in one go! I guess this will keep me satisfied until Colors! gets a Wii U version.

I made this yesterday. Nothing special compared to the works of art showcased in this thread, but I had fun making it.

zroid

Banned
god,I love this guys work. sexy and awesome at the same time. ballsy.

zlCfzRFS0X4iXEmJ_4

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAABAADRUV6gp1T6Mg

let's see who gets offended first by suggestive nipples. Nintendo seems to be cool so far. what about you GAF?

Well, that deserves a Yeah

I am a talentless drudge, but I've been slowly working my way through the early Art Academy 3DS lessons, so I'm hoping within a few weeks I'll have the tiniest amount of skill to make Sketchpad worthwhile.

Robin64

I think the fact it's a drawing simulator and not a drawing application in the traditional sense serves to make some of these results even more impressive.

That said, I would welcome Colors! on the Wii U too. Though personally I think the 3DS one will never be beaten thanks to the 3D layer system.

Mik2121

Tried this a second time. Still couldn't get bothered finishing the thing, but I'm getting used to it anyway.
When I was mixing colors for some reason some white bled into the bottom of the apple and I gave up fixing it, lol.

Top Bottom